Nick Drake

Do talk back
C
Robust

Nick Drake

Postby C » 23 Jan 2022, 13:27

The lad is not spoken about much - not even by the Goons.

Funny that.

Views....?

[I really rate all three of Nick's albums]

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

robertff

Re: Nick Drake

Postby robertff » 23 Jan 2022, 14:27

Yeah, like all those albums well enough, don’t often play them though. Never really knew anything about him until Mojo produced a big article about him, which started the collecting albums process.

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Jan 2022, 14:41

robertff wrote:Yeah, like all those albums well enough, don’t often play them though. Never really knew anything about him until Mojo produced a big article about him, which started the collecting albums process.

I think for many of us the first exposure was from the Island sampler Nice Enough to Eat where Time Has Told Me was included [the opening track from his first album Five Leaves left]

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

robertff

Postby robertff » 23 Jan 2022, 14:49

C wrote:
robertff wrote:Yeah, like all those albums well enough, don’t often play them though. Never really knew anything about him until Mojo produced a big article about him, which started the collecting albums process.

I think for many of us the first exposure was from the Island sampler Nice Enough to Eat where Time Has Told Me was included [the opening track from his first album Five Leaves left]

If I had heard it from that sampler he wouldn’t have got a look in, just wouldn’t have been my sort of music in 1969 but as we know all things change.

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Jan 2022, 14:55

robertff wrote:
C wrote:

If I had heard it from that sampler he wouldn’t have got a look in, just wouldn’t have been my sort of music in 1969 but as we know all things change.

:D

For the better....

I was into my folk back then so it was no brainer for me

robertff

Postby robertff » 23 Jan 2022, 14:57

C wrote:
robertff wrote:
C wrote:

:D

For the better....

Sometimes my friend, sometimes.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 23 Jan 2022, 15:56

I have a compilation, and like it well enough.

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Jan 2022, 16:56

Helped out on double bass by the great Danny Thompson from Pentangle

My fave album of the three but they are all seminally robust and subtly different

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 23 Jan 2022, 17:36

C wrote:

Indeed. I, too, own his three studio albums. They're ok, but I find him a very weary listen.

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Jan 2022, 17:56

slightbreeze wrote: I find him a very weary listen.

Even the more upbeat second one....?

Ok, he's no Lee Jackson...

Dave Pegg – bass
Dave Mattacks – drums
Richard Thompson – lead guitar
Brass arrangement by Robert Kirby

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 23 Jan 2022, 18:41

C wrote:
slightbreeze wrote: I find him a very weary listen.

Even the more upbeat second one....?

. That's a bit like saying that a tortoise is faster than a snail
Last edited by ChrisB on 23 Jan 2022, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 23 Jan 2022, 19:07

I was very taken with Nick Kent's Syd Barrett piece in the NME back in the day. I quite fancied myself as a doomed genius, despite being pretty stable, drug-free and untroubled by the slightest bit of talent.
Well, you know. Teenager.
Anyway, I liked the image and I've loved all things Syd ever since.
When, some months later, Nick Kent did a piece on doomed genius Nick Drake (whom I'd never heard of) I was delighted to have another role model and went out bought Pink Moon.
I tried to like it. I pretended to like it, but I didn't really like it.
In retrospect, I think he'd lost his way by then; lost confidence in what he was doing and was trying to branch out or something. Apparently, he wanted to be a star.
A song like 'Free Ride' sits very uneasily within his catalogue (though it didn't deserve the horrors inflicted on it by Tir Na Nog) and I think the overall effect is a bit dull and lifeless. The earlier albums are much better but suffer occasionally from some twee arrangements. I think they should have left them as just him and his guitar.
Bugger off.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 23 Jan 2022, 21:48

Completely disagree
Robert Kirbys string arrangements on Five Leaves are stunning, though I think I love the stark hynotic Pink Moon even more.
All the album are great, probably one of the artists I listen to the most. The songs have a purity and a natural charm that always sounds fresh.
I love just about everything he's done.
(Perfect to listen on these cold but sunny still winter days when walking the dog!)

This always floors me.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 23 Jan 2022, 22:07

Autumnal and just about perfect

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 23 Jan 2022, 22:10

2nd favourite for me

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jan 2022, 01:04

Love all three LPs, but never play them.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 24 Jan 2022, 13:07

He’s someone who I have to thank people here for introducing me to (mojo4music and early BCB).
I’ve given the ‘Introduction To Nick Drake’ CD to loads of people over the years.
All albums played often in our house.

I always think of our late departed Arthur Crud in connection to ND. Had the pleasure of attending the Way To Blue - Songs of Nick Drake night at the Liverpool Philharmonic back in 2010 when he was over here visiting.
Joe Boyd spoke and Vashti Bunyan, Green Gartside, Robyn Hitchcock, Scott Matthews, Karine Polwart, Teddy Thompson, Krystle Warren sang and performed. Great night.

The Unthanks performing the Songs Of Molly Drake, Nick’s mother, is worth a listen if you’ve not heard it.
Give a shit or be a shit.

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jan 2022, 13:56

Tom Waits For No One wrote:I always think of our late departed Arthur Crud in connection to ND. Had the pleasure of attending the Way To Blue - Songs of Nick Drake night at the Liverpool Philharmonic back in 2010 when he was over here visiting.
Joe Boyd spoke and Vashti Bunyan, Green Gartside, Robyn Hitchcock, Scott Matthews, Karine Polwart, Teddy Thompson, Krystle Warren sang and performed. Great night.

Indeed - sounds great

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 24 Jan 2022, 20:20

All 3 albums are masterpieces, Bryter Layter more so than the others. I don't trust anyone who doesn't like him.
I run out of talent

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jan 2022, 21:27

WG Kaspar wrote:I don't trust anyone who doesn't like him.

Hello Theo

Return to “Yakety Yak”