When the Eagle Flies

Do talk back
Charlie O.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Jan 2020, 18:52

Quaco wrote:and that's when things like "Roll Right Stones" truly blossom. It is one of my very favorites now.

Do you have to be high, or something?

("Evening Blue" is nice.)

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jan 2020, 19:31

No love for this then fellow prog goons...?

Did Steve ever sing better and what a guitar solo [full of emotion on both counts].....?

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Jan 2020, 19:47

C wrote:No love for this then fellow prog goons...?

Did Steve ever sing better and what a guitar solo [full of emotion on both counts].....?

Oh yes, don't get the antipathy towards the album.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Jan 2020, 20:03

I'm listening to the whole discography (or most of it anyway). The first (US or UK) is still the best to my ears, but I look forward to rediscovering some good stuff. The s/t one is better than I remembered, though I still WAY prefer the Winwood/Capaldi songs to the Mason ones (other than "Cryin' to be Heard," which is lovely), and it does peter out a bit at the end.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Jan 2020, 20:36

Having listened to Shoot Out I'll stick with my assertion that it is disappointing. Evening Blue is the one stellar track and Roll Away Stones is pretty good but that's about a half an album.

When The Eagle Flies starts with a piece of embarassing schlock. Something New. It might be new but it's pretty dire. The other tracks on side one are ok. Graveyard People has its moments. The better songs imo are found on side two. Walking In The Wind is classic Winwood. It was the track I heard on the radio that got my attention. No surprise they didn't play Something New (at least that I can recall). The rest of the side is pretty good too though WITW is rhe true keeper.

So overall I think there is more quality tracks on When The Eagle Flies though if you measure by time there isn't much difference.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

J

Postby J » 09 Jan 2020, 01:23

trans-chigley express wrote:
elegant chaos (reprise) wrote:I only got around to getting this a year or so back. Found it to be much better than reviews had led me to expect (possibly why my purchase of it lagged 30+yrs behind that of most of the band's others), and I wish I'd bought it years ago.
Especially as I found it reminded me strongly in places of Steve Winwood's first solo release which came out 3 years later in 1977 (and my favourite of his solo works). Particularly "Walking In The Wind", the title track, "Something New", "Graveyard People" and "Dream Gerrard".
Image Steve Winwood, 1977, Island Records
A gem of a record. On reflection it might be appropriate to flip my comparison around and describe this as his solo release that is most reminiscent of his work with Traffic. Worth checking out if you aren't familiar with it.
The sublime "Vacant Chair" from SW's 1977 debut and "Dream Gerrard" were both co-writes with Vivian Stanshall.

It was the Steve Winwood debut solo album that I only got round to buying a year or so back, and I found that to be much better than I was expecting. He adds a bit of funkiness to his sound which I like a lot.

Yes! When I first got SW's debut LP I was a bit disappointed with some of the tracks (apart from "Vacant Chair" and "Midland Maniac"), but at some point in the ensuing decades I found myself really getting into the soulfulness of tracks like "Let Me Make Something In Your Life" and the groove of "Time Is Running Out". I probably like Steve Winwood's debut LP more now than when I first bought it in 77 or 78.

The LP was released in the heyday of disco 12" versions, and I recently discovered that "Time Is Running Out" from it was issued as a 12" single. The A-side was the same as the LP version, but the B-side was a re-mixed/re-done and significantly funked-up instrumental version, re-titled "Penultimate Zone", and presumably released in the hope of picking up disco plays.
I can't say I particularly recommend it, but if you haven't heard it and should happen to be curious, it's on YouTube :
oh the sun is shining
and I'm on that road

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 09 Jan 2020, 21:50

Outtake from When the eagle flies. I have the Chris Wood box set Evening Blue which is rather superb. Now there was a talent, sadly slipped away slowly after Traffic split.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 09 Jan 2020, 21:53

C wrote:No love for this then fellow prog goons...?

wonderful 8-)

frimley_greener

Postby frimley_greener » 10 Jan 2020, 15:29

Bit late to the party with this one....bought it on the day of release,and was pretty "ho-hum" about it...it got occasional airings over the years,but never became a "go to" Traffic cut,until fairly recently when I have been able to enjoy my records on a pretty good(imho) system,and pulled "When The Eagle flies" again....and was quite taken aback by how much more was revealed by said: not a "brag",but the details and layers revealed have made me view this album in a completely different light.
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Jan 2020, 17:20

frimley_greener wrote:Bit late to the party with this one....bought it on the day of release,and was pretty "ho-hum" about it...it got occasional airings over the years,but never became a "go to" Traffic cut,until fairly recently when I have been able to enjoy my records on a pretty good(imho) system,and pulled "When The Eagle flies" again....and was quite taken aback by how much more was revealed by said: not a "brag",but the details and layers revealed have made me view this album in a completely different light.

Indeed - it's a dark, slow burner

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Jan 2020, 17:27

And what about this one?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Jan 2020, 17:30

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Image

And what about this one?

It took a while but I really like it and it contains one of their very best tracks.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 11 Jan 2020, 19:58

robertff wrote:

And what about this one?

It took a while but I really like it and it contains one of their very best tracks.

I've loved When The Eagle Flies from day one, especially Dream Gerrard, Memories of a Rock'n'Rolla and Love - and Something New should have been a hit in my eyes.

The comeback album, on the other hand, never really clicked - I really should give it another chance, it might be 20 years since I heard it last!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 11 Jan 2020, 23:33

And what about this one?

Never got around to buying it, just spent £3 on a used copy from music magpie. Hopes arent high but worth a try.

J

Postby J » 12 Jan 2020, 01:49

robertff wrote:

And what about this one?

I like it.
I'm just listening to it again for the first time in years. I played it frequently for a year or two after it first came out, and I really shouldn't have left it so long.

I find it a little more Steve Winwood solo-80's than 70's-Traffic in feel and sound, but I'm not sure where I'd draw the dividing line : the title track ("Far From Home") would perhaps be more on the Traffic side, whereas "Here Comes A Man", "Some Kinda Woman", "Every Night Every Day" and others sound reminiscent of SW's solo LPs.
"Mozambique", the instrumental that closes the LP, sounds as much like Santana as it does Traffic!

If I was to rate one track as a stand-out, I'd go for "Holy Ground" - the collaboration and co-write with Davy Spillane, who also plays uilleann pipes. Lovely track.

Thanks for prompting me to dig it out for a play. I don't think there is one track I didn't enjoy hearing again, and one or two I'd forgotten about altogether (like the rather gentle, tuneful and (err...) graceful "State Of Grace").

I wouldn't nominate it as my favourite Traffic LP, but it's a pretty decent effort some 20 years after the previous "Where The Eagle Flies". I think Jim Capaldi's involvement, particularly with the songwriting, lifts the LP some way above the level of contemporary SW solo releases.

##
oh the sun is shining
and I'm on that road

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Jan 2020, 16:51

elegant chaos (reprise) wrote:
robertff wrote:

And what about this one?

I like it.
I'm just listening to it again for the first time in years. I played it frequently for a year or two after it first came out, and I really shouldn't have left it so long.

I find it a little more Steve Winwood solo-80's than 70's-Traffic in feel and sound, but I'm not sure where I'd draw the dividing line : the title track ("Far From Home") would perhaps be more on the Traffic side, whereas "Here Comes A Man", "Some Kinda Woman", "Every Night Every Day" and others sound reminiscent of SW's solo LPs.
"Mozambique", the instrumental that closes the LP, sounds as much like Santana as it does Traffic!

If I was to rate one track as a stand-out, I'd go for "Holy Ground" - the collaboration and co-write with Davy Spillane, who also plays uilleann pipes. Lovely track.

Thanks for prompting me to dig it out for a play. I don't think there is one track I didn't enjoy hearing again, and one or two I'd forgotten about altogether (like the rather gentle, tuneful and (err...) graceful "State Of Grace").

I wouldn't nominate it as my favourite Traffic LP, but it's a pretty decent effort some 20 years after the previous "Where The Eagle Flies". I think Jim Capaldi's involvement, particularly with the songwriting, lifts the LP some way above the level of contemporary SW solo releases.

##

A good resume

I must dig it out - it's at least 10 years since I've played it.

I remember Spillane's pipes well

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 Jan 2020, 17:47

C wrote:
elegant chaos (reprise) wrote:
robertff wrote:

I like it.

##

A good resume

I must dig it out - it's at least 10 years since I've played it.

I remember Spillane's pipes wel

"If I was to rate one track as a stand-out, I'd go for "Holy Ground" - the collaboration and co-write with Davy Spillane, who also plays uilleann pipes. Lovely track."

That's the one - one of their best tracks ever - beautiful, worth the CD just for this.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 13 Jan 2020, 10:54

Well I must say I enjoyed Far From Home a lot more than I tought I would - and not just the one with Davy Spillane.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 Jan 2020, 11:11

Neige wrote:Well I must say I enjoyed Far From Home a lot more than I tought I would - and not just the one with Davy Spillane.

It is a very good album, just rather different to what came before.

This is a great starting point for anyone wanting to sample Traffic.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 13 Jan 2020, 21:24

robertff wrote:
Neige wrote:Well I must say I enjoyed Far From Home a lot more than I tought I would - and not just the one with Davy Spillane.

It is a very good album, just rather different to what came before.

This is a great starting point for anyone wanting to sample Traffic.

Thats a superb collection. My starting point. Would be even better with Graveyard People added but that aside superb.

Return to “Yakety Yak”