Jimbly

Re: The BCB Interviews: Goat Boy

Postby Jimbly » 18 Jan 2014, 18:47

Good stuff. Well played both of you.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Jan 2014, 18:07

The Worst Name In BCB's History wrote:[Zen Arcade] deserves every bit of mythology that has sprung up around it over the years - depending on which fan you ask, the band were on one substance or another throughout the recording and mixing, the ambiguous stats of the marathon recording of the double (Wiki: "The band recorded 25 tracks, with all but two songs being first takes, in 40 hours. The entire album was then mixed in one 40-hour session; the entire album took 85 hours to record and produce and cost $3,200."), all of this serves to underline the rather remarkable nature of the thing.

Okay, this is something I've wondered about since 1984: why did that album TAKE SO LONG to record?

I know that sounds funny (I sorta meant it to), but seriously: including the two aborted takes and the two outtakes, we're talking approx. 80 minutes of performed music, plus I guess another 80 minutes' worth of minimal overdubs (vocals, percussion, etc.). Even taking into account the whole setting up/getting levels thing, and that a few songs would have obviously required slightly different set-ups ("Never Talking To You Again", "What's Going On" maybe, the piano tunes)... what the heck took 36 hours? Everybody always talks about it being some heroic feat, but really, what did they have to do but set up and play?

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 22 Jan 2014, 02:19

Charlie O. wrote:
The Worst Name In BCB's History wrote:[Zen Arcade] deserves every bit of mythology that has sprung up around it over the years - depending on which fan you ask, the band were on one substance or another throughout the recording and mixing, the ambiguous stats of the marathon recording of the double (Wiki: "The band recorded 25 tracks, with all but two songs being first takes, in 40 hours. The entire album was then mixed in one 40-hour session; the entire album took 85 hours to record and produce and cost $3,200."), all of this serves to underline the rather remarkable nature of the thing.

Okay, this is something I've wondered about since 1984: why did that album TAKE SO LONG to record?

I know that sounds funny (I sorta meant it to), but seriously: including the two aborted takes and the two outtakes, we're talking approx. 80 minutes of performed music, plus I guess another 80 minutes' worth of minimal overdubs (vocals, percussion, etc.). Even taking into account the whole setting up/getting levels thing, and that a few songs would have obviously required slightly different set-ups ("Never Talking To You Again", "What's Going On" maybe, the piano tunes)... what the heck took 36 hours? Everybody always talks about it being some heroic feat, but really, what did they have to do but set up and play?

Yes - FOUR hours would make more sense (and is likely the correct answer). Unless they also wrote the album in the studio.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 22 Jan 2014, 14:41

Goat Boy wrote:
funky_nomad wrote:What a cracking read.

Nice to know about Dougie's enduring love for U2 as well - the next Scottish J-Up is going to be absolute carnage now... :twisted:

I am not ashamed.

Bring it on bitch.

Courage in your convictions, then - pick a U2 song for your Cup list... ;)
Just a penitent man

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 22 Jan 2014, 15:35

Great read, guys. I was at that same Todd Rundgren show in Hammersmith!
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 22 Jan 2014, 15:40

funky_nomad wrote:Courage in your convictions, then - pick a U2 song for your Cup list... ;)

I do hope he's got some Belle & Sebastian and Blur in there too :D
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 22 Jan 2014, 17:50

Charlie O. wrote:

I think sustaining that type of focus (and achieving those types of results) so unwaveringly in one go (I mean, granted they were young) without hitting diminishing returns or (seemingly) sleeping or eating is something of a feat, in my opinion.

savoirefaire
Location: formerly pore of sin...ga!, way of nor and currently pan of Ja!

Postby savoirefaire » 22 Jan 2014, 22:25

What a great read, I really liked the rapport between the two of you, the rush when you get into talking about Zen arcade. And the description of Midlake's terrible gig is just inspired, also going to bed and listening to the white album as a teenager, that put a smile on my face :)
Kid P wrote:*Deleted*
Should have quoted SF

Sneelock wrote:I'm never bored. I'm boring. I think of it as a lifestyle choice!

[img]//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Fundraising_2009-horizontal-thanks-en.png[/img]

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Jan 2014, 02:19

The Worst Name In BCB's History wrote:I think sustaining that type of focus (and achieving those types of results) so unwaveringly in one go (I mean, granted they were young) without hitting diminishing returns or (seemingly) sleeping or eating is something of a feat, in my opinion.

I don't argue with the results, but I don't see how 26 takes in 40 hours speaks well of their focus!

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 31 Jan 2014, 23:38

Charlie O. wrote:
The Worst Name In BCB's History wrote:I think sustaining that type of focus (and achieving those types of results) so unwaveringly in one go (I mean, granted they were young) without hitting diminishing returns or (seemingly) sleeping or eating is something of a feat, in my opinion.

I don't argue with the results, but I don't see how 26 takes in 40 hours speaks well of their focus!

I think - if spread out - those stats are comparable to Please Please Me or Beatles For Sale era Beatles sessions. Again - assuming this was all in one go (always an ambiguous part of the story/legend), the idea that something that powerful and moving was created under circumstances that would FRY your average musician is...compelling.

Return to “BCB Desert Island Discs & BCB Interviews”