How many musical handbags do you have?

Do talk back
take5_d_shorterer

How many musical handbags do you have?

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 13 Jun 2009, 23:54

Elsewhere in another universe, Carlson wrote:How many handbags does a woman need?

My wife has SEVEN...!

That seems to me to be six too many.....

Well?

1. If you play guitar, how many guitars do you have?

2. How many guitars do you think you need?

2a. Any particular reasons? (The usual remark that non-musicians make is that you can play only one guitar at a time.)

3. How many guitars would you like to have? What guitars are these?

4. How many amplifiers would you like to have? Examples?

5. Assuming you agree with this next claim, why do you think guitarists usually have more guitars than amps?

6. Do you think acquiring guitars is a way of postponing the task of learning to play them better, or does acquisition spur the process?

7. What's the most you've spent on a guitar?

8. What's the most you can imagine spending to buy a guitar?

9. What's the most you can imagine spending to buy a musical instrument and which instrument would that be?

10. How many pairs of shoes do you have?

11. How many handbags?

12. Do you tend to acquire things?

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: How many musical handbags do you have?

Postby Muskrat » 14 Jun 2009, 00:09

I'd bet that most non-guitarists wouldn't know whether they were hearing a Fender or a Gibson, let alone a Tele vs. a Strat. But if having a variety makes the musician happy, who am I to quibble?

Other justifications: having a "studio" vs. "travel" guitar (you could afford to lose the latter), or a backup in case yours goes out of tune or something while you're onstage makes more sense to me. But again: I'm not a musician.

Sometimes, you'd just like to drive another car for a while. Not that there's anything with the one you're presently driving, but for the sake of variety. Kind of like girl (or boy) friends in that respect.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Jun 2009, 06:48

take5_d_shorterer wrote:

2a. Any particular reasons? (The usual remark that non-musicians make is that you can play only one guitar at a time.)

I want a non Fender electric. I'm really keen on the new Taylor T-3 I think it's called. It's similar to the T-5 which I've played but it has a solid block of wood running down the middle of the body so it's semi-solid body I guess. I haven't found one in a shop to play, otherwise I'd probably already own one. I was hoping to run across a music shop in Austin, but it didn't happen. I want a lap steel too. I'm a slide player and I played one twice. Once at a jolly up jam in Nashville and a second time here in town at a jam. The second time I played one it was in a key I knew (G) instead of one I wasn't (F #). What 's a half step between friends?
Apparently a lot based on my experience.

I'd love to own a pedal steel too.

I have a Fender Vibro Champ (1966) so all I really need is something a little bigger, say 30w - 45w range.
Probably a Fender Blues Deluxe or this new one I saw the other day called a Super Sonic. The latter is considerably heavier than the former but it's also more amp.

5. Assuming you agree with this next claim, why do you think guitarists usually have more guitars than amps?

They are more tactile and you are more involved getting the sounds out of a guitar than an amp.
They're sexy.

6. Do you think acquiring guitars is a way of postponing the task of learning to play them better, or does acquisition spur the process?

The latter if you're smart. It's why I've never owned more than three at a time. ;)
Different kinds of guitars do make you play differently though, or at least they affect me that way. 7. What's the most you've spent on a guitar?

$650 counting the trade in I used, for a Taylor acoustic guitar, otherwise it would have cost me $1300 (new, they are over $2000 retail) No one pays full retail but they best price I saw was $1700.

$4,000.00 - $5,000.00

9. What's the most you can imagine spending to buy a musical instrument and which instrument would that be?

Same, unless I was filthy rich. Then I'd own a nice grand piano instead of the upright I play.

11 :oops:

11. How many handbags?
2 back packs

Yes, but only a few at a time.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 14 Jun 2009, 07:01

7 guitars. 2 basses.

Fewer.

I have a few that I haven't played in years. It would be hard for me to argue that I need them.

I like what I've got, yet a nice electric 12 (a Rickenbacker?), and a nice Martin acoustic wouldn't ruin my life.

I love my Hiwatt. Sure would like to have a backup, though.

The variants/unique characteristics may be more desirable/salient.

No idea. If you weren't born to the task, I'm not sure this matters.

$900

I don't have money for guitars these days, but...in theory, I'd pay quite a bit for a deserving instrument. Couple grand?

Don't see it happening.

I'm not feeling especially covetous.

11. How many handbags?

None.

I was horrible about this when I was younger. Now, not especially. Old habits die hard, so...I'll occasionally respond to the impractical collector's reflex (music downloads, for example).

TG

Postby TG » 14 Jun 2009, 14:10

1. If you play guitar, how many guitars do you have? 15 (that includes electric, acoustic, bass, dobro, lap steel and a mandolin).
I suppose I don't need more than 2 - one electric/one acoustic
1) I've been playing for almost 40 years and have bought when the deals were too good to pass up.
2) There are different types of instruments involved (lap steel, bass, dobro, mandolin).
3) A few years ago (before I was divorced) I had enough money for toys.
4) A friend recently passed away and left a several pieces to me.
There is a round neck dobro type I've had my eye on for a while.
4. How many amplifiers would you like to have? Examples? I have 7 or 8 amps right now (several from my late friend). I would only buy extreme vintage at ridiculously low prices.
As Goldwax said-It's what you actually play.
That's a silly question. If I own two cars I haven't postponed the task of learning to drive. Different guitars do different things. Lately I've been playing a lot of electric 12 string and that is spurring new sounds and songs and ways to do things.
Not much - less than $1000.00. What they are currently worth is another thing.
Did I win the lottery? What does a 1957 Les Paul go for today?
What's a grand piano go for? Of course, then I'd need a house big enough for it.
No idea. A dozen or so. Several for work and others for play.
11. How many handbags?
A backpack and a briefcase.
12. Do you tend to acquire things?[/quote]
Other than guitars, amps, 45s, LPs and CDs? Nope!
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 14 Jun 2009, 22:00

TG wrote:6. Do you think acquiring guitars is a way of postponing the task of learning to play them better, or does acquisition spur the process?

That's a silly question. If I own two cars I haven't postponed the task of learning to drive. Different guitars do different things. Lately I've been playing a lot of electric 12 string and that is spurring new sounds and songs and ways to do things.

I'm going to ask about the analogy here because I think that playing the guitar is a much more complicated process for most guitarists than driving is for most drivers. Unless one is training to compete in races, one gets in a nice car and drives and enjoys oneself. This is fundamentally different from practicing a new piece over and over and trying to pick up the chords from a record.

It is certainly true, though, that different guitars do different things. This is as good a reason as any to get many guitars.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 14 Jun 2009, 22:17

Elsewhere in another universe, Carlson wrote:How many handbags does a woman need?

My wife has SEVEN...!

Well?

How many guitars does a guitarist need?

I have SEVEN...! (I think, although this could be plus or minus some amount)

Well?

I think it's reasonable to have at least one acoustic, one single-coil electric, perhaps one electric with a humbucking pickup, one either lap steel or pedal steel, and maybe one hollowbody although a lot of what a hollowbody does can be approximated with a Telecaster if you know what you are doing.

These are fairly different instruments.

No particular number.

A light, resonant Stratocaster-type model,

Also a pedal steel.

Recently I played a Princeton Reverb after watching a video of Jim Campilongo play. There really does seem to be a different sound you can get out of these compared to how you can get a Deluxe Reverb to sound: a grittier tone.

One time I read in an interview that Townshend said he chose his guitars based on his amps (usually HiWatt), not the other way around. This was pretty surprising for me since, like most other guitarists, I've tended to focus on the guitar first and considered the amp to be secondary. There are obvious reasons for this--the guitar is in your hands and the amp is not so the guitar is what you tend to focus on--but this particular reason has to do fundamentally with extra-musical concerns.

If you were really interested in getting different sounds that fit the music you wanted to play, you might be far better off getting different amps than different guitars. EL34s or EL84s do sound different from 6L6 or 6V6. Vox has a particular midrange. Fender is almost the complement of that sound. I once played a National amp, and it almost sounded as if I were playing underwater because of its reverb. The most interesting reverb I played through was an old Vibroverb. I've never played through a Magnavox though.

I should have gotten a Sovtek when they were cheap.

My point in asking the question is that I've seen plenty of guitarists who acquire lots of gear---they even joke about it with the term "gear acquisition disease"---and who are quite bad as guitarists. These people love these objects, not unlike the way wine connoisseurs love wine or antique followers love antiques. At the same time, I think a kind of substitution has occurred. Instead of sitting down with the instrument and learning how to get a new sound with the equipment they already have, many guitarists go and buy another piece of equipment.

There is something very seductive about this. You go out and get another object, and all of a sudden, you immediately have a new sound to play with. This is why guitar pedals are so popular.

About a year ago, I heard Bill Kirchen play his signature piece "Hot Rod Lincoln" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Rl1zNIpzg ). There are more musically interesting pieces that he plays (e.g., his cover of "The Times They Are a-Changin'" or "Just Like tom Thumb's Blues" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB2ugtcz ... re=related ) but "Hot Rod Lincoln" does illustrate that with the right technique, you can get all sorts of different sounds out of one guitar. 90 percent of it is in the hands.

Kirchen makes his Telecaster sound like a Gretsch, a Stratocaster, a Les Paul, an ES-335. It doesn't sound quite like a banjo, but you can get the idea of a banjo from how he attacks the strings.

The clip shows him playing a 1959 Telecaster that he's had for about 40 years or so. It's been his main instrument and the one that he played in public most of the time.

Jim Campilongo is similar in that he has a 59 Tele that he uses most of the time as well. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YF8KGSiXLY )

Obviously there is no one right way to acquire and play instruments, but I admire an approach that is as spare as what Kirchen and Campilongo have.

A more interesting question is what is the least I've spent on a guitar, and that is $20. A very noisy instrument, made of plywood, but wonderful for slide. Later I bought a Telecaster copy for $80. This was the first Fender-type instrument I acquired. It's far from perfect, but at the time it was something of a revelation.

12 years ago I played a 1959 Esquire that was going for 3K: light, complex sound. Should have gotten it.

11. How many handbags?

Last edited by take5_d_shorterer on 15 Jun 2009, 04:40, edited 4 times in total.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 14 Jun 2009, 22:21

Tele, cheapo Les Paul copy, Yamaha Compass acoustic, no-name Precision bass

I really think it's only money and storage space that prevent me buying more, but I'm pretty content with what I have.

You play them differently though, don't you? When I strap on the LP I play more like Neil Young than I do when I've got the Tele in my hands. Or at least I feel as if I do, it's probably just the same old Captain Banafingers.

I'd like to replace the cheapo LP. I'd like to try a mandolin and a banjo. I played an Epiphone 335 once. One of those might be cool.

I've got a nice Peavey for the guitar and a much nicer Hartke for the bass. I'd really like the Fender amp (possibly a Twin) I auditioned my Tele through but it was £900 12 years ago.

You already got the best answer up thread. You play the guitar.

I've got better in the last few years, when for reasons stated I have been unable to acquire any new guitars. I don't know if that answers your question.

The Tele cost a fair bit but I don't remember how much. I bought the LP for £10 from a mate in 1985.

I suppose up to £1000 for the right instrument.

Lord knows.

Within sight? Do boots count? if so then 10 pairs visible from my desk... there's another couple pairs downstairs, and another pair in the bedroom.

11. How many handbags?

None.

If you mean 'am I a collector?' then yes. I sometimes dream of an alternate me that lives a really ascetic life, but I'm attached to a lot of my stuff.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 14 Jun 2009, 23:30

Well, I'm not a "guitarist" but I try. I have 10 guitars. I think many of them are simply beautiful objects.

See 1.

An infinite amount.

I have 2 right now, and don't have anything like the appreciation for amps that I do for guitars.

See 4.

For me, unfortunately, the former.

$300. I have a Tele and a Strat that retailed for over $1,000, but I won those in a competition.

Maybe $500.

See 8.

About 15.

11. How many handbags?
Erm... none.

Only guitars and CDs these days.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 15 Jun 2009, 14:15

Two acoustics – one I got for my 16th birthday, and a Martin I bought last year. One electric - a fabulous St Blues I picked up in Memphis. And my bass, which is a 70's rickenbacker 4001.My bass is my no1 instrument. Oh, and a half-size nylon string one for arsing about with. And, like most folk, other similar instruments, such as a ukulele and my most recent addition, a mandolin.

I only feel a real need to have an acoustic and a bass. Everything else is just nice. I really adore my Martin.

If I was stuck on a desert island with only 1 possession, if it were my Martin, i reckon i could be fairly happy. The electric is great and opens up a whole new way of playing, but, as much as anyone needs any instruments, one guitar should be enough for anyone.

Oh, i'd love loads! I'd love a Gretsch country gentleman, a couple of rickenbackers – definitely a rickenbacker 4005 bass, an SG, a fender jazzmaster and a jaguar, and a thin-line telecaster. I'd like a big old gibson acoustic for strumming, lots of vintage things. Guitars are beautiful.

Living in a flat makes amplifiers a little less practical. I have a roland cube for the bass and a tanglewood valve amp for the electric 6 string. I mainly just plug into my desk, through the boss cosm amp modeling stuff. For live I always tend to just use what's around and for 'proper' recording, the studios i use tend to be very well stocked. For example, with the band I play in, the studio in Paris has a gorgeous vintage Ampeg set up that beats anything i've ever used, while one of the studios in Bristol is run by a bass player with a very good band, and his kit is equally lush. So why bother buying stuff?

A couple of reasons. First off, guitars are simply more beautiful than amps. By a very long way. Also, practicality means there's often not enough space to store many amps, they're harder to move around and, as outlined above, there's just not really the need.

I'm not interested in guitars for any reason other than to play them. Some people are interested in guitars, some in playing. I very regular have conversations with punters after gigs where they approach me to talk about my bass, and all they talk about is basses, never talking about bass players, or how i played it, or music at all. Never get a guitar without really wanting to play it, not to own it. That's my advice.

About a grand (gbp), although my bass is now worth about twice that, I understand.

I could imagine a situation where I spent £3-4k on something, although that would be quite something. As I see it, I'm not interested in cars, and people think nothing of spending that on a car!

I'd love a really nice stand-up bass. That could easily see me a couple of grand worse off. Ditto a grand piano.

3 or 4.

11. How many handbags?

Um, none. Honestly.

Not for acquisition's sake, and I horde far, far less than I used to.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 15 Jun 2009, 16:00

1. If you play guitar, how many guitars do you have? Including Basia's, we have 10, I think. 11 if you count the ukelele.

2. How many guitars do you think you need? I could probably get away with 5: 1 acoustic, 3 electrics, and 1 bass.

2a. Any particular reasons? (The usual remark that non-musicians make is that you can play only one guitar at a time.) The acoustic and the bass are pretty self explanatory, I think. The three electrics I'd have for tone and playability.

3. How many guitars would you like to have? What guitars are these? I only want one more guitar, and that is one that I'd include in my answer to 2a - A Gibson SG. I love how molestable they feel.

4. How many amplifiers would you like to have? Examples? I've got everything I need other than a bass amp, so if you could send me an old Ampeg Portaflex, I'd be good.

5. Assuming you agree with this next claim, why do you think guitarists usually have more guitars than amps? Depending on their size, amps tend to hog more real estate than guitars, and while I have A-B'ed between two amps at once, it's rather impractical to use more than one at a time. And as has been said, you play the guitar. Sure you can dial up your amp any number of ways, but again, from a live playing perspective it's just impractical.

6. Do you think acquiring guitars is a way of postponing the task of learning to play them better, or does acquisition spur the process? I think buying new guitars tends to make one want to invest more time in learning to play better.

7. What's the most you've spent on a guitar? I think about $450.

8. What's the most you can imagine spending to buy a guitar? Maybe about $2000, but I wouldn't break the bank just to get one.

9. What's the most you can imagine spending to buy a musical instrument and which instrument would that be? Aside from whatever the aforementioned SG might inevitably cost, I'd spend up to $300 (preferably less) on a nice Zildjian ride cymbal to replace the absolutely gorgeous one I own that's cracking around the bell. :(

10. How many pairs of shoes do you have? Maybe around 10.

11. How many handbags? I have an old canvas camera bag that I wear over my shoulder when I'm cycling.

12. Do you tend to acquire things? There was a time when I'd grab up any old vintage/kitsch bit of crap that caught my eye, but those days are gone, and so is much of that crap. Nowadays, if we want something, we weigh the pros and cons before most purchases.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 16 Jun 2009, 17:37

I only ever play three. I have a beautiful Strat, which I have had for 15 years, and I have probably played it for an hour in total. I don't know why, as it is a brilliant instrument.

I would have all the guitars that there are. I just love them. I particularly want an ES 135, A Guild Starfire 2 ( 1962), a green two tone Gretsch anniversary, and a pre cbs Jazzmaster.

Not really interested in amps

Don't know. Amps are dull.

Aquisition is all.

£600

less than that. Unless I got a load of money, in which case I'd spend too much of it on vintage guitars.

No idea how much, but it would be a vintage Gibson es135

and a blueburs one like this...

about 10

11. How many handbags?

I saw what you tried to do there...

[b]12. Do you tend to acquire things?

I do.
You don't like me...do you?

Seymore Porn
Chod

Postby Seymore Porn » 13 Jul 2009, 13:42

take5_d_shorterer wrote:

My wife has SEVEN...!

Well?

1. If you play guitar, how many guitars do you have? 16

2. How many guitars do you think you need? 3

2a. Any particular reasons? (The usual remark that non-musicians make is that you can play only one guitar at a time.) I earn money playing, why not indulge myself?

3. How many guitars would you like to have? What guitars are these? I have no idea.

4. How many amplifiers would you like to have? Examples?maybe 6, I have 4. I'd like to own a vintage Bassman (who wouldn't?) One of the ones that Brad Paisley owns, and a small neighbour friendly amp like maybe a Matamp Minimat.

5. Assuming you agree with this next claim, why do you think guitarists usually have more guitars than amps? I don't agree with the next claim. I can tweak most amps to get the (Marshall or whatever) sound I want from most of my guitars i.e. I have a Marshall JCM 2000 Super Triple Lead. It's the only Marshall amp I need to get the Les Paul/Marshall, Strat/Marshall, Tele/Marshall sounds that I want. The same guitars sound different through my Fender Hot Rod De Luxe, but it's the only Fender amp I need, though there's nothing wrong with dreaming about a vintage Bassman.

6. Do you think acquiring guitars is a way of postponing the task of learning to play them better, or does acquisition spur the process? I'm 55 and the rate I learn at is very slow. I could play pretty well before I could afford most of the guitars I now own. I do though, play better when I'm happy with my tone, and if a new guitar helps, even for a few months, great.

7. What's the most you've spent on a guitar? 600 quid

8. What's the most you can imagine spending to buy a guitar? 2,000 quid

9. What's the most you can imagine spending to buy a musical instrument and which instrument would that be? 2000 quid. I heard a mate playing his P.R.S. Single Cut (pre Gibson carry on) through my Matamp 1224. I'd pay 2 grand to get that tone.

10. How many pairs of shoes do you have? 1

11. How many handbags? None.

Yes.
The Adult Shop
http://adultshopglasgow.co.uk/index.php

Watching the London leaders and their proxies unite against a simple democratic measure tells me all I need to know about the UK in any form. Their interests are not Scotland's interests.

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 13 Jul 2009, 14:28

This is my favourite.

Need doesn't really come into it as I don't play to earn money. I'll buy as many as I want to, finances and desire permitting.

see above
Would like a vintage Gretsch but a Rev Horton Heat Signature will also do. Ohh and a Reverend Ron Asheton signature V in orange.

Maybe a couple more than I have at the moment.

They are easier to carry and look better.

No opinion, I play like shit but then again don't really practice so what do I expect?

£90

I can imagine £8,500 but thats for a specific beauty. Realistically maybe £500

See above

3 shoes, 4 sneakers, 1 pair of docs

11. How many handbags?
None, I'm British goddamit!

12. Do you tend to acquire things?[/quote]
Enemies, vinyl, guns. Yep.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 13 Jul 2009, 14:34

Jumper k wrote:1. If you play guitar, how many guitars do you have?

This is my favourite.

Bastid bastid bastid :twisted:

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 13 Jul 2009, 14:55

yomptepi wrote:
Jumper k wrote:1. If you play guitar, how many guitars do you have?

This is my favourite.

Bastid bastid bastid :twisted:

Pretty rare these days Mike. I've been on the lookout for you since we last discussed it. Only seen 1 on ebay and that was £400
:shock:

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 13 Jul 2009, 18:08

I have been trying to find one, but they just never come on the market. When I go to america next time, I am going to hunt one down. I think it is a crackiing surf guitar.

Return to “Yakety Yak”