JUOTA 2010 SAN FRANCISCO May 27-31

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
Six String

Re: JUOTA 2010 SAN FRANCISCO May 27-31

Postby Six String » 05 Jun 2010, 22:07

Did anyone go into the music store across the street from Amoeba's that only sold heavy metal?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Jun 2010, 22:18

I'm going to kill sloop. All my life I have happily laughed at people who like the Manic Street Preachers, then he goes and puts irrestistible context into 'Have a Nice Day' by putting it on the JU CD. This is my eigth listen :x

I'm off to carve things into my arms with razor blades.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 06 Jun 2010, 00:20

Six String wrote:No need to eat bad pizza in that town. You should at least have your cousin point you to the Ligurian Bakery for their amazing focacia which you were able to sample at Alcatraz.

I got VERY hungry all of a sudden and didn't feel like sitting down somewhere. I regretted it. Living where I do, I can eat some bad pizza, but damn.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 06 Jun 2010, 01:35

Minnie the Minx wrote:I'm going to kill sloop. All my life I have happily laughed at people who like the Manic Street Preachers, then he goes and puts irrestistible context into 'Have a Nice Day' by putting it on the JU CD. This is my eigth listen :x

Isn't that the Stereophonics?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Jun 2010, 01:48

Oh,someone ending in 'ics'

They all sound the bloody same to me, youngsters these days etc etc
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Jun 2010, 03:33

Beebsy wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I'm going to kill sloop. All my life I have happily laughed at people who like the Manic Street Preachers, then he goes and puts irrestistible context into 'Have a Nice Day' by putting it on the JU CD. This is my eigth listen :x

Isn't that the Stereophonics?

There's bound to be confusion because fans of both bands refer to them as the "ics."

For example, here's a hypothetical conversation between two fans of the Stereophonics and the Manic Street Preachers:

Ic fan 1: So you're a Ics fan?

Ic fan 2: Yeah.

Ic fan 1: What's your favorite song then?

Ic fan 2: It's gotta be Have a Nice Day.

Ic fan 1: Wait a minute, are we talking about the Ics?

Ic fan 2: I thought we were.

As you see, it gets confusing.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 06 Jun 2010, 11:44

sloopjohnc wrote:(don't send a Lancashire girl to the 510 and try and give hip-hop knowledge---please chile).

Were you doing that sideways-back-and-forth neck thing when you typed that?

"Quite."

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 06 Jun 2010, 11:52

The Fish wrote:Well the last JUer has just walked through his front door. Home at last. I guess that means the SF JU is now officially closed.

I've just got back myself, having spent last week in Kansas City, including the mandatory dinner and show at the Jazz Museum there. It was great to meet the crowd in SF again. Thanks for all the organisational effort that went into the evnt too. At the moment I'm too frazzled to post further.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Jun 2010, 04:22

The Baron wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I've started listening to the discs, by the way. I liked John's, though it was a bit of a mixed bag. Haven't gotten through Min's yet, but I like what I've heard so far. Will report soon (though I'm still convinced everyone ignored/avoided mine- which the lack of commentary so far supports).

I think I missed discs from the Hatz's. :evil:

I have surplus sloop discs. Unless you've got one that's unmarked and starts with a song about San Francisco. Just cough. For that or anything else, actually.

I shall post an annotated tracklist of mine shortly. :|

I missed Hatz's too and I missed giving mine a couple I think. Anyone that wants a copy of mine that didn't get it, let me know. No pressure. :D
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Jun 2010, 04:25

The Baron wrote:
Six String wrote:1. Cissy Strut - Houston Person
2. The Turn Around - John Patton
3. Dat's for Nat - Jessica Williams
4. Georgia On My Mind - Jack McDuff
5. Whatever Lola Wants - Baby Face Willette
6. Once I Loved - Pat Martino
7. Hop Scotch - Charlie Rouse
8. Lickin' Stick - Larry Willis
9. Flap - Deodato
10. Sugar - Stanley Turrentine

Oh, Les. I listened to this going on I-10 from Seguin to San Antonio yesterday evening. Did y'all know we're from the same fucking crappy Texas town? I got verification last weekend. Anyway, if y'all are driving anywhere soon, I commend Six String's JU disc to you. It's pretty much all jazzy, funky, and fun. Like Minnie's disc, Six's takes me to places I would never go (electric bass!?). But there's also the cover of the Brazilian nugget ("Once I Loved") and some other funkier, hotter shit. And the Deodato! Oddly redolent of a lost Southwest (don't know that anyone else would feel that way, to be fair). Les's world is a pretty cool place to be for an hour. Nice work!

Glad you liked it. I did my best to keep true to my roots without pushing anyone away. At least I succeeded once.

I'm listening to yours for the second time. It's on that trippy dub song. I haven't listened to any dub reggae in a looonnnng time mahn.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 07 Jun 2010, 04:27

SUNDAY - That was the ballgame, right? I wanted to get there early, as is my custom. There's something nice about lounging in the seats for batting practice and the grooming of the field, while spacing out as the stadium slowly fills up. But that's not how it went down. Fish, Minnie, the Slangs, and maybe some others met at the bar while I took a leisurely train ride into town for the ballgame. Like an idiot, I forgot a hat (it was sunny and I do best to hide from that), so I sucked it up and bought a Giants hat, a beer, and a hot dog and settled into the seats. No one else was there, but T. Willy Rye showed up shortly thereafter and then the Slangs, Minx, and the toomanies. Was Livet drinking with them too? Maybe. Anyway, I missed the pickle smuggling action, but they missed the national anthem. It was a great day for a ballgame and it was a pretty damn good game. I split my time talking to T. Willy (it's much better talking to people at a ballgame than at a bar, strangely enough), cracking up at Minnie's hilarious stories and commentary, bantering with the Slangs, and shouting the rare observation about the ballgame with Hatz, who was a few seats away. I suggested to Minnie that a Giants comeback would be a pretty amazing feat, but that was before I realized the Diamondbacks had Chad Qualls on the hill. It was really great getting to know T. Willy -- he's gonna be (he already is) a great BCBer. It was also easily the funniest ballgame I've ever been to, and I've been to a few. Never have I seen such a gallant pickle suffer so much. We all split up after the ballgame, and it just wasn't in the cards for me to return to the fold. I got back to my cousin's, slipped into the domestic rhythm, and when I felt like I could go out again, it was already 9 or 10 and it would've taken me another hour to get back to the party, and, well, it just didn't seem prudent. Sorry I missed out on another room party, the call from Sam, and hanging out with Andy, which didn't happen enough!

MONDAY - I hung out in the morning with my cousins and watched cartoons with the little one. After awhile, we headed out to Golden Gate Park where we trooped through the botanical and Japanese gardens, all of which were fantastic and mind blowing. I must go to Japan. We also went and got sushi, something I hadn't done yet on the trip and which was crucial -- I'm a huge fan of sashimi and don't fool with it around here, for whatever reason. Check out my little cousin going to town on his California roll! Apparently, he thinks the salmon roe is candy.

We ate like conquering kings and it felt great, I get a weird high from raw fish, maybe it's the mercury. I slipped into a Russian Orthodox bookstore and checked out incense, icons, some books, and listened to the dudes argue about Constantinople, then it was back to the Sunset, via the scenic route. Later in the afternoon, I had a fantastic, unforgettable 2 1/2 mile walk down the beach to meet up with folks for happy hour at the Chalet. The fog, wind, and rain was all back in effect and I was strapped with my ipod, listening to God knows what. Shuggie Otis, probably. Anyway, it was a great, great walk and it was great to reconnect with folks one more time. I love the Slangs, and I was glad they suggested this and were able to make it back into the City. I seem to remember laughing a lot and taking many trips up and down the stairs to the bathroom, where I saw and heard some truly weird shit going down. I guess I wasn't ready to call it a night yet and let go of the JU, so I followed the indefatigable Fish, Livet, and Minnie for a madcap bus ride full of wild tales of phlebotomy and other hilarious topics. Livet had an early flight, so only the three stooges were left for one last death march in search of drinks. San Francisco was empty on Memorial Day evening, specifically Union. Perry's was shutting down due to alleged "electrical issues" and we wound up in a sports bar where the Big Daddy IPAs made a return and Minnie and Fish took over the jukebox. Things get pretty blurred pretty fast about then, and I can't say exactly what all happened, but I'm pretty sure it was a blast. We stumbled out of the bar and off to the hotels at some point and an eventual lonesome bus ride back to the Sunset for me. I was glad I hung in with everybody rather than walking back home from the Chalet, and glad to send this one out with my fellow JUOTA Veterans, Fish and Livet, and Minnie, who unquestionably added a spark to the whole proceedings. This was a great one!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Jun 2010, 04:33

toomanyhatz wrote:Two people put Sir Doug on their comps? Now you're talkin' my language!!

(I confess I haven't given the baron's a listen yet, but I will.)

Two people but songs by John Patton and Stanley Turrentine on their discs. Different songs but same artists.

I wish I could have hung with everyone at the Chalet. I've been meaning to go there for a long time and I couldn't think of a better group of people to spend time with in a bar. Like the others, this was another great JU to add to our memories. Agree about what has been said about T. Willy Rye. He has become a crucial part of the West Coast peeps. That doesn't mean I'm leaving out Slang King and his Ms. They were both hosts with the mosts. Thanks again for The Rogue Pub. Hope to see you both again soon.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Jun 2010, 04:38

toomanyhatz wrote:I've started listening to the discs, by the way. I liked John's, though it was a bit of a mixed bag. Haven't gotten through Min's yet, but I like what I've heard so far. Will report soon (though I'm still convinced everyone ignored/avoided mine- which the lack of commentary so far supports).

Somehow I didn't get one of yours. It must have been the all the excitement when you arrived or afterwards.
I think I more focused on the Laphroaigs we had to taste.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Jun 2010, 04:40

The Baron wrote:
Six String wrote:1. Cissy Strut - Houston Person
2. The Turn Around - John Patton
3. Dat's for Nat - Jessica Williams
4. Georgia On My Mind - Jack McDuff
5. Whatever Lola Wants - Baby Face Willette
6. Once I Loved - Pat Martino
7. Hop Scotch - Charlie Rouse
8. Lickin' Stick - Larry Willis
9. Flap - Deodato
10. Sugar - Stanley Turrentine

Oh, Les. I listened to this going on I-10 from Seguin to San Antonio yesterday evening. Did y'all know we're from the same fucking crappy Texas town? I got verification last weekend. Anyway, if y'all are driving anywhere soon, I commend Six String's JU disc to you. It's pretty much all jazzy, funky, and fun. Like Minnie's disc, Six's takes me to places I would never go (electric bass!?). But there's also the cover of the Brazilian nugget ("Once I Loved") and some other funkier, hotter shit. And the Deodato! Oddly redolent of a lost Southwest (don't know that anyone else would feel that way, to be fair). Les's world is a pretty cool place to be for an hour. Nice work!

I really dig the Deodato album that cut came from. He plays organ on the album instead of piano. It changes the sound without losing that Brazilian thing.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Jun 2010, 04:54

The Baron wrote:SUNDAY - That was the ballgame, right? I wanted to get there early, as is my custom. There's something nice about lounging in the seats for batting practice and the grooming of the field, while spacing out as the stadium slowly fills up. But that's not how it went down. Fish, Minnie, the Slangs, and maybe some others met at the bar while I took a leisurely train ride into town for the ballgame. Like an idiot, I forgot a hat (it was sunny and I do best to hide from that), so I sucked it up and bought a Giants hat, a beer, and a hot dog and settled into the seats. No one else was there, but T. Willy Rye showed up shortly thereafter and then the Slangs, Minx, and the toomanies. Was Livet drinking with them too? Maybe. Anyway, I missed the pickle smuggling action, but they missed the national anthem. It was a great day for a ballgame and it was a pretty damn good game. I split my time talking to T. Willy (it's much better talking to people at a ballgame than at a bar, strangely enough), cracking up at Minnie's hilarious stories and commentary, bantering with the Slangs, and shouting the rare observation about the ballgame with Hatz, who was a few seats away. I suggested to Minnie that a Giants comeback would be a pretty amazing feat, but that was before I realized the Diamondbacks had Chad Qualls on the hill. It was really great getting to know T. Willy -- he's gonna be (he already is) a great BCBer. It was also easily the funniest ballgame I've ever been to, and I've been to a few. Never have I seen such a gallant pickle suffer so much. We all split up after the ballgame, and it just wasn't in the cards for me to return to the fold. I got back to my cousin's, slipped into the domestic rhythm, and when I felt like I could go out again, it was already 9 or 10 and it would've taken me another hour to get back to the party, and, well, it just didn't seem prudent. Sorry I missed out on another room party, the call from Sam, and hanging out with Andy, which didn't happen enough!

MONDAY - I hung out in the morning with my cousins and watched cartoons with the little one. After awhile, we headed out to Golden Gate Park where we trooped through the botanical and Japanese gardens, all of which were fantastic and mind blowing. I must go to Japan. We also went and got sushi, something I hadn't done yet on the trip and which was crucial -- I'm a huge fan of sashimi and don't fool with it around here, for whatever reason. Check out my little cousin going to town on his California roll! Apparently, he thinks the salmon roe is candy.

We ate like conquering kings and it felt great, I get a weird high from raw fish, maybe it's the mercury. I slipped into a Russian Orthodox bookstore and checked out incense, icons, some books, and listened to the dudes argue about Constantinople, then it was back to the Sunset, via the scenic route. Later in the afternoon, I had a fantastic, unforgettable 2 1/2 mile walk down the beach to meet up with folks for happy hour at the Chalet. The fog, wind, and rain was all back in effect and I was strapped with my ipod, listening to God knows what. Shuggie Otis, probably. Anyway, it was a great, great walk and it was great to reconnect with folks one more time. I love the Slangs, and I was glad they suggested this and were able to make it back into the City. I seem to remember laughing a lot and taking many trips up and down the stairs to the bathroom, where I saw and heard some truly weird shit going down. I guess I wasn't ready to call it a night yet and let go of the JU, so I followed the indefatigable Fish, Livet, and Minnie for a madcap bus ride full of wild tales of phlebotomy and other hilarious topics. Livet had an early flight, so only the three stooges were left for one last death march in search of drinks. San Francisco was empty on Memorial Day evening, specifically Union. Perry's was shutting down due to alleged "electrical issues" and we wound up in a sports bar where the Big Daddy IPAs made a return and Minnie and Fish took over the jukebox. Things get pretty blurred pretty fast about then, and I can't say exactly what all happened, but I'm pretty sure it was a blast. We stumbled out of the bar and off to the hotels at some point and an eventual lonesome bus ride back to the Sunset for me. I was glad I hung in with everybody rather than walking back home from the Chalet, and glad to send this one out with my fellow JUOTA Veterans, Fish and Livet, and Minnie, who unquestionably added a spark to the whole proceedings. This was a great one!

Baron, you are the master blaster!
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 07 Jun 2010, 05:03

Boogie on, reggae John!

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 07 Jun 2010, 05:27

You guys are too kind. Baron, I've definitely been listening to a lot more Shuggie Otis lately. Six String- I want one of your JU discs, but hope you will deliver it when you come to the East Bay.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Jun 2010, 05:30

T. Willy Rye wrote:You guys are too kind. Baron, I've definitely been listening to a lot more Shuggie Otis lately. Six String- I want one of your JU discs, but hope you will deliver it when you come to the East Bay.

Consider it done. I'll pick one of those 100 degree + days when I want to get out of Sac. Maybe you'll be free and we can meet up. If we promise not to dominate the conversation with jazz maybe sloop will join us.
:D
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 07 Jun 2010, 09:40

Clint Planet wrote:I just checked on Wiki and it turns out the Jazz Museum is in the same building as the Negro Leagues Museum. It was shut when I went there. :(

There's not much else to see in KC really, Griff. But the Jazz Museum is pretty good. Lots of hands-on stuff on mixing desks and headphone extracts, mainly.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Jun 2010, 17:22

Thesiger wrote:
Clint Planet wrote:I just checked on Wiki and it turns out the Jazz Museum is in the same building as the Negro Leagues Museum. It was shut when I went there. :(

There's not much else to see in KC really, Griff. But the Jazz Museum is pretty good. Lots of hands-on stuff on mixing desks and headphone extracts, mainly.

I know a great Brazilian singer that lives there but I don't know if she's performing around town or not. She lived here in Sacramento for many years. I miss her a lot.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Footy Ups”