THE JETHRO TULL FORUM

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Re: PSL: JETHRO TULL - THICK AS A BRICK - NOW PLAYING!

Postby kath » 17 May 2013, 22:48

Hugh wrote:
kath wrote:
see. i still have probs with the hare. i think i will get there eventually.

Have you tried waxing.

yeah, but it still won't bring my spectacles back. what am i doing wrong?

lord_of_light88

Postby lord_of_light88 » 17 May 2013, 22:49

That was a most enjoyable sync listen, thanks everyone! Round of applause.

Happy evening.

Hugh wrote:
Then do all the Genesis albums to Wind And Wuthering

Yes. Those albums deserve cuddly loving care and a tasteful touch. SW can.
Master Wanker

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 May 2013, 22:50

Short Bald Bloke wrote:I've gone on to Live at Madison Square Garden...in for a penny

A great album

Great to have you all aboard.

Next week we will be enjoying a bit of Traffic:

You know it makes sense

Yes, you know it makes sense

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 17 May 2013, 22:50

lord_of_light88 wrote:That was a most enjoyable sync listen, thanks everyone! Round of applause.

Happy evening.

Hugh wrote:

They've only been remastered twice or is it three times? :roll: :lol:
“Erratic associate member”

Nancy
Daft Sod

Postby Nancy » 17 May 2013, 22:51

C wrote:
Short Bald Bloke wrote:I've gone on to Live at Madison Square Garden...in for a penny

A great album

Great to have you all aboard.

Next week we will be enjoying a bit of Traffic:

You know it makes sense

Yes, you know it makes sense

Schedule allowing, I'll be there with bells on. This one is a big favorite.

Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 17 May 2013, 22:53

Neil Jung wrote:
lord_of_light88 wrote:That was a most enjoyable sync listen, thanks everyone! Round of applause.

Happy evening.

Hugh wrote:

They've only been remastered twice or is it three times? :roll: :lol:

They still sound rubbish though. Way too compressed.

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 May 2013, 22:55

Nancy wrote:Image

Schedule allowing, I'll be there with bells on. This one is a big favorite

Good lad

Be there or be square!

Yes, be there or be square!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

kath

Re: PSL: JETHRO TULL - WOUND UP!

Postby kath » 17 May 2013, 23:02

... and nowww we are goin off to the land of passion play then war child. mwhahaHA.

lord_of_light88

Postby lord_of_light88 » 17 May 2013, 23:37

War Child. Yum.
Master Wanker

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 18 May 2013, 09:17

Hugh wrote:
They still sound rubbish though. Way too compressed.

I think the problem is with the multitracking on the actual recording. It is impossible to untangle tpes with have had tracks " bumped " I doubt there will ever be decent sounding remasters of those first three albums.
You don't like me...do you?

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 18 May 2013, 09:56

I have hi-res vinyl transfers of NC, F, and TLLD that sound much better than the remasters. I think there is a decent sound there, it just hasn't made it to CD.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 18 May 2013, 14:27

I have never heard a clear sounding version of Foxtrot. It is a mess.

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 May 2013, 18:50

yomptepi wrote:I have never heard a clear sounding version of Foxtrot. It is a mess.

and that is unfortunate as Foxtrot is their second best record

Yes, unfortunate as Foxtrot is their second best record

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 18 May 2013, 18:54

C wrote:
yomptepi wrote:I have never heard a clear sounding version of Foxtrot. It is a mess.

and that is unfortunate as Foxtrot is their second best record

Yes, unfortunate as Foxtrot is their second best record

It is their fourth best record.

1.SEBTP
2. LLDOB
3. NC
4. F

Huw
Bloody Nincompoop

Postby Huw » 18 May 2013, 20:57

I remember watching this in 1976 and recording the whole thing onto reel-to-reel tape by holding the microphone up to the TV speaker!

Obviously, the sound quality was shit, but happy days..... :lol:

lord_of_light88

Postby lord_of_light88 » 19 May 2013, 17:07

I played Too Old To RnR last night before bed. I hadn't listened to it since I was a kid, when one of my brother's fiends brought it along. Funny how some stuff gets stashed away somewhere in your mind when you're not looking. It has been ages since I last heard those songs yet as they came on last night they revealed lots of familiar passages which were lovely to go through, like finding yourself in some place you'd forgotten you had already been, getting to enjoy it as both new and familiar at the same time.

Good album. Good old Jethro.
Master Wanker

kath

Postby kath » 19 May 2013, 17:45

lord_of_light88 wrote:I played Too Old To RnR last night before bed. I hadn't listened to it since I was a kid, when one of my brother's fiends brought it along. Funny how some stuff gets stashed away somewhere in your mind when you're not looking. It has been ages since I last heard those songs yet as they came on last night they revealed lots of familiar passages which were lovely to go through, like finding yourself in some place you'd forgotten you had already been, getting to enjoy it as both new and familiar at the same time.

grooooovy that you re-tried it. i swear. when i reheard it for this listen, it was much better than i'd remembered. that happened for a few of us. i think theo was right when he said that whatever made us not like it as much back in the day.. too minstrelly maybe, title track too overplayed, the value of the albums around it, whateverrrr... they don't really seem like significant reasons all these years down the line, when yer actually listenin to the thing. the songs themselves sound damn good. they *are* good.

this has happened to me many times on this board, a retake on an album that i heard a certain way back in the day, with some differing priorities, diff "ears", diff chemical content levels in the bloodstream, etc. it's my fave kinda conversion. mwhaha.

p.s. luvvvv the clip, huw. ::sigh::

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 19 May 2013, 17:54

kath wrote:
lord_of_light88 wrote:I played Too Old To RnR last night before bed. I hadn't listened to it since I was a kid, when one of my brother's fiends brought it along. Funny how some stuff gets stashed away somewhere in your mind when you're not looking. It has been ages since I last heard those songs yet as they came on last night they revealed lots of familiar passages which were lovely to go through, like finding yourself in some place you'd forgotten you had already been, getting to enjoy it as both new and familiar at the same time.

grooooovy that you re-tried it. i swear. when i reheard it for this listen, it was much better than i'd remembered. that happened for a few of us. i think theo was right when he said that whatever made us not like it as much back in the day.. too minstrelly maybe, title track too overplayed, the value of the albums around it, whateverrrr... they don't really seem like significant reasons all these years down the line, when yer actually listenin to the thing. the songs themselves sound damn good. they *are* good.

this has happened to me many times on this board, a retake on an album that i heard a certain way back in the day, with some differing priorities, diff "ears", diff chemical content levels in the bloodstream, etc. it's my fave kinda conversion. mwhaha.

p.s. luvvvv the clip, huw. ::sigh::

It was better than I remembered, but when played next to Thick as a Brick, it withered and died horribly. It isn't a bad record, despite the desperate story. It just isn't a great record, which is what I expect from Jethro Tull in the Early seventies. I believe it was their first lacklustre outing, so disappointment is entirely justified.

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 May 2013, 18:20

yomptepi wrote:
1.SEBTP
2. LLDOB
3. NC
4. F

You have the correct four lad but in the wrong order

Yes, sadly, in the wrong order

kath

Postby kath » 19 May 2013, 18:31

yomptepi wrote:It was better than I remembered, but when played next to Thick as a Brick, it withered and died horribly. It isn't a bad record, despite the desperate story. It just isn't a great record, which is what I expect from Jethro Tull in the Early seventies. I believe it was their first lacklustre outing, so disappointment is entirely justified.

well, when just about anything is played next to thick as a brick, it aint gonna hold up. mwhaha.

i think it holds up with those second tier tull albums (tiers according to kath, of course.) i wouldn't put it in the great tier, but it falls in with the good-to-very-good bunch.

we just listened to war child last night, and while c has already converted me more towards the luv-it camp, i'm still mixed on it. i am fanatical about the slower tracks. 'skating away' is one of my all time fave tull tracks. but some of the crunchier, tullily-busier ones just don't translate as well for me, compared to scads of other such tracks from other albums that hit my sweet spot, no problem. reap said when we were listening to it, "it's a very british album, isn't it?" he didn't mean that as a knock or as praise. his reaction is similar to mine. tull is ever brit, of course, but there's sumthin about the vibe, the instruments, the way those tracks move on war child that rep a diff kinda tull for me.

i can't explain it right, i know. can't put my finger on the problem or how i know exactly what reap means. one of my fave albums of all time is selling england by the pound, but to this day, i have major probs with epping effing forest. sometimes, there is a kinda cultural divide goin on that is hard to describe.. it aint politics, it aint history, it aint language, any of that. musical language, yes. it's the way strands of music through time have been used to express it traditionally, and how a band can take some of that and weave a new, weird thing that is signature that band, in whatever way, but still coming from an aesthetic with many tentacles that doesn't translate as well to a non-brit.

i am sure there are american equivalents of this principle. if i had more caffeine, i might could give parallels. i've tried before to convert people to the tom petty track, it's good to be king. regardless of what anybody thinks of petty as a general rule... there are many things goin on in that song that have a particular register with americans. in musical language. it's very difficult to translate all that to a brit. do ya know what i mean?

ahhh, i'm just gettin worse. mwhaha.

as a whole, i actually like too old more than war child. yes, i will get shot for saying it, but there ya have it.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”