13%
No
88%

Total votes: 8

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jan 2019, 01:11

toomanyhatz wrote:I apologize. I read it using my critical thinking skills. I know I wasn't supposed to.

So perhaps you could explain to me in easy-to-understand steps what I'm supposed to be concluding that I'm not concluding.

Thanks for reading the thing. My conclusion after reading the Greenwald piece is that there is a very odd, undemocratic, slanderous, conspiratorial effort in these usually (formerly) reliable media sources to make Trump - and Russia - look bad. These are not simple mistakes for if they were, statistically, there would be at least a story or two which made them look good. Your Trump-bias aside, what point do you think Greenwald was trying to make. Why do you think he wrote this story?
Question authority.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 Jan 2019, 01:45

Oh, I don't think his motivations are in question.

What's in question (to my mind) is that he proves a "slanderous, conspiratorial effort" as you put it.

And really? There would be at least a story or two which made them look good? Why? Are they required to find positive stories in the interest of balance? Trump is not redeemable in my mind. I would happily use whatever means it took to get rid of him if was up to me. Fake news? Sign me up. But then again I'm not claiming to be a journalist.

I've never claimed there's no bias in how news is reported. Only that you don't understand what Fake News is. Sticking to that still, I"m afraid.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 31 Jan 2019, 01:57

Russia good. Dems bad. deserve TRUMP. bad bad bad.
anything else is fake.
uggy poopy doody.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jan 2019, 02:17

toomanyhatz wrote:Oh, I don't think his motivations are in question.

No, you can't slip out of the question so easily. I told you as honestly as I could what I concluded from the article. If you think it is business as usual at these media outlets - where mistakes do happen - why would Greenwald make the effort to call them out, to mock them? If you asked me the same question I'd say Greenwald found a perfect "man bites dog" story where he found a spate of mistaken news stories - all anti-Trump-Russia - which statistically did not add up. Strange, to say the least, thus real news.

If you are faulting me for calling, say, the Russia sabotaged the Vermont power grid story as "fake news" in the same vein as the "Three Headed Baby Ate My Lunch" story you got me. I was going for snark.
Question authority.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Jan 2019, 09:05

Jimbo wrote: These are not simple mistakes for if they were, statistically, there would be at least a story or two which made them look good.

Really Jimbo - find another obsession. You're just not very good at this one.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 Jan 2019, 18:01

Jimbo wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Oh, I don't think his motivations are in question.

No, you can't slip out of the question so easily. I told you as honestly as I could what I concluded from the article. If you think it is business as usual at these media outlets - where mistakes do happen - why would Greenwald make the effort to call them out, to mock them? If you asked me the same question I'd say Greenwald found a perfect "man bites dog" story where he found a spate of mistaken news stories - all anti-Trump-Russia - which statistically did not add up. Strange, to say the least, thus real news.

If you are faulting me for calling, say, the Russia sabotaged the Vermont power grid story as "fake news" in the same vein as the "Three Headed Baby Ate My Lunch" story you got me. I was going for snark.

Still confused at what you're trying to convince me of here. Yes, there's a big difference between the two - one was accurately reported based on the information that they had at the time (which was later corrected when the information turned out to be false), and the other one is invented/made up from whole cloth.

I mean, I guess your point is that the media should have been suspicious of the story but weren't "because Russia Russia Russia!" But they didn't make up the story or exaggerate it or do anything other than accurately report what was reported to them. Blame the people that jumped to conclusions then, not the messenger.

I'm down with snark - I'll snark back and forth all day. But you DO actually seem to understand the difference. So why do you keep adding stuff that isn't fake news to a thread called "Fake News?"
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 18 Feb 2019, 17:52

"Facebook blocks pages with TENS OF MILLIONS of views after CNN reports their ties to RT"

https://encyclopedic.co.uk/2019/02/18/f ... ies-to-rt/

So the largest media company colludes with the largest social media company to what? Tens of millions of views? RT must be doing something right.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 19 Feb 2019, 13:53

In my craven need for confirmation bias and having not heard in a while from Russiagate skeptic Matt Taibbi I did a search for his latest work and found out he's working on an online serialized book which is a digital-age update of Chomsky's media critique Manufacturing Consent called Hate Inc. https://taibbi.substack.com/ I only read one installment so far but my man Matt has come through! Yup, I'm right. This is all about "fake news" which comes not necessarily from Alex Jones but from our NYT, WAPO, MSNBC, etc. It's a 30 minute read but full of fascinating sociological stuff like "moral panic," natives stirred up by hyped up and exaggerated news (Mods, Rockers and Russia!). So if you are taking your "real news" seriously you should know what ingredients are in the box. (Integrity 1%)

The public largely misunderstands the “fake news” issue. Newspapers rarely fib outright. Most “lies” are errors of omission or emphasis.... Scare the crap out of people, and media companies get richer, while state agencies get more and more license for authoritarian crackdowns on the “folk devil” of the moment. A perfect partnership.

What most people think of as “the news” is really a particularly twisted wing of the entertainment business.

In the Internet age, we in the press have mastered the art of monetizing anger, paranoia, and distrust. We’ve learned how to wind you up for profit.
Question authority.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Feb 2019, 15:03

Jimbo wrote:Matt Taibbi

He writes so well but I'm not sure he'll ever live down all that stuff with eXiles in (where else?) Russia in the late 90s.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Feb 2019, 15:06

Remind you of anybody? :)

Only News Source Man Trusts Has Logo Of Eyeball In Crosshairs

FULLERTON, CA—Noting that he relies upon the website every day to keep himself apprised of important national and global events, sources confirmed Thursday that the only news outlet local man Andrew Howland trusts uses an image of an eyeball in crosshairs as its logo.

According to reports, the single news source in which the 27-year-old college graduate places confidence is called TruthLink.net, and features in its upper-left-hand corner—directly adjacent to the site’s austere, black-and-red nameplate—a low-resolution photo of a human eye behind two intersecting lines and a circle intended to represent the sights of a gun.

“The mainstream media is controlled by these big corporations, so you have to dig deeper if you want to know what’s really going on,” said Howland, who regularly reads articles that are rendered in bright green text over a black background and that contain entire paragraphs written in all capital letters for emphasis. “You have to be careful, because so much of what you see online just isn’t reliable.”

“It’s important to make sure you’re getting the real story,” he added. “Especially these days.”

While Howland is said to have many thousands of news options available to him online, in print, and through broadcast media, sources indicated that the one he has deemed most trustworthy is a website that frequently uses the words “exposed,” “Orwellian,” “cover-up,” and “shadow groups” in its headlines.

Truth Link, whose sidebar prominently features an advertisement for a self-published book by the site’s editor-in-chief titled The America Files: Declassified, is reportedly one of the first websites Howland visits each morning, and one he checks four to five times during his workday and at least once per evening.

“When I hear about breaking news, I always go to Truth Link for updates,” said Howland, referring to a website that also features a stock photo of a surveillance camera and an infrared image of a fingerprint overlaid with the words “Government Secrets.” “After all, there’s a lot of stuff going on in the world that doesn’t get covered by the larger news outlets.”

Sources noted that Howland frequently posts links to the website on Facebook, adding comments such as “Something to think about…” or “Open your eyes,” and sometimes responds to his friends’ posts simply by linking to a Truth Link article and providing no additional comment.

Additionally, those close to Howland confirmed that the majority of the Truth Link articles he reads feature the sporadic use of boldfaced and underlined words throughout the text, include long sections of bullet points, and frequently end with a question. Howland is also believed to have watched videos on the site in which a man with a deep voice speaks solemnly over rotating images of ancient druidic stone formations.

“You just can’t believe everything you read online,” said Howland, whose preferred news source features a drop-down menu of subsections labeled “U.S. News,” “World News,” “Whistleblowers,” “Science/Tech,” and “Strange Encounters.” “So I try to find sites that will give me a balanced look at the issues.”

According to the “About Us” page of the website that serves as Howland’s sole connection to what is happening in the world, Truth Link is “fighting the corrupt corporate media paradigm,” with the page’s text going on to assure readers that the site is “dedicated to telling the stories no one else will” before prompting them to donate to the website via PayPal so it can “keep bringing you the REAL news.”

At press time, Howland was carefully considering whom to vote for in the presidential election while reading an article accompanied by a photo of Hillary Clinton with glowing red eyes.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Feb 2019, 06:26

Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 21 Feb 2019, 19:34

This is precious. A Dutch historian is invited onto Fox News' Tucker Carlson show to call out the hypocrisy of the Davos convention where supposed global do-gooders fly to Switzerland in private jets while socking their billions on tax havens. Tucker seems to agree with this POV until the historian calls out Fox for never raising this issue until just now because Fox News hosts are "millionaires paid by billionaires."

Question authority.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Feb 2019, 20:02

I'm glad that guy filmed it. People have written for years of being invited onto O'Reilly or Hannity and having the segments edited in a way that favored the hosts to an alarming and dishonest degree.

I've got Tucker Fuckin' Carlson coming out my ears. I've hit the mute button on that clown at least once every other weekday for months. it doesn't take a clip like that to know he's an astonishing jackass but at least I know he's going to have to work a little harder to act like the sun shines out of his ass.
uggy poopy doody.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 21 Feb 2019, 21:20

Sneelock wrote:I'm glad that guy filmed it. People have written for years of being invited onto O'Reilly or Hannity and having the segments edited in a way that favored the hosts to an alarming and dishonest degree.

I've got Tucker Fuckin' Carlson coming out my ears. I've hit the mute button on that clown at least once every other weekday for months. it doesn't take a clip like that to know he's an astonishing jackass but at least I know he's going to have to work a little harder to act like the sun shines out of his ass.

I agree but this guy could have called out any of our lying by omission MSM pundits. When did Rachael and co.last lambast the rich for socking their money in tax havens, which is a huge issue - bigger than Russia! surely. What happened to the Panama Papers? Was anyone prosecuted or fined? The bastards might have suffered if Rachael put a third of her Russia reporting on the issue. But MSNBC - like FOX - is owned by tax dodging billionaires and Rachael gets paid millions - like Carlson. Fake news.
Question authority.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Feb 2019, 21:49

Aaand here we go again.

"Fake news"= any news not specifically curated by people with the exact same pov as Jimbo. As always.

First of all, Rachel probably HAS lambasted the rich for socking their money in tax havens. Second, let's just say that guy was a guest on Rachel's show - would she react the same way? You'd have a hard time convincing me she would. And no, I'm not particularly a Rachel fan and don't watch her.

Just Jimbo's usual "just as bad" false analogy. Nothing to see here, folks. (Though I did appreciate seeing ol' Tucker with steam coming out of his ears, so thanks for that.)
Footy wrote:

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 21 Feb 2019, 22:03

toomanyhatz wrote:Aaand here we go again.

"Fake news"= any news not specifically curated by people with the exact same pov as Jimbo. As always.

First of all, Rachel probably HAS lambasted the rich for socking their money in tax havens. Second, let's just say that guy was a guest on Rachel's show - would she react the same way? You'd have a hard time convincing me she would. And no, I'm not particularly a Rachel fan and don't watch her.

Just Jimbo's usual "just as bad" false analogy. Nothing to see here, folks. (Though I did appreciate seeing ol' Tucker with steam coming out of his ears, so thanks for that.)

My larger point is that there are deep issues which need addressing which have nothing to do with "my" POV but that are in the interest of all of us who are not rich. For instance, we are being robbed trillions to pay for a bloated military to attack countries whose doings have nothing to do with us yet the media parrot government bullshit about bringing democracy when we - even you, Hatz - know it's about stealing their resources. That point is hammered on in the alternative media but barely mentioned in the MSM.

And yeah it's fake because they only pretend to care with their nice suits and coiffed hair and their mellifluous authoritative voices.
Last edited by Jimbo on 21 Feb 2019, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Question authority.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Feb 2019, 22:09

And all the hammering on has accomplished what, exactly? Do you seriously believe that all it would take is for the Tucker Carlsons and Rachel Maddows of the world to get on board? If so I'll be right over to fit you for your straitjacket.
Footy wrote:

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Feb 2019, 22:14

Everything’ bad. Whatcha gonna do?
(Gun to temple, blow brains out)
uggy poopy doody.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 21 Feb 2019, 22:15

toomanyhatz wrote:And all the hammering on has accomplished what, exactly?

I know. I know what's going on and I'm pissed. I'm supporting progressive candidates who, at this moment are actively being dissed and dismissed by the lying besuited motherfuckers. TYT had a report the day Bernie announced the NYT had three anti-Sanders articles. And look at how disgracefully Gabbard was treated on Morning Joe. And CNN gave a town hall for billionaire Schultz! It's a big club and we ain't in it.

Guess where I learned all this shit - the alternative media. Who knows, I'm as gullible as anyone, I guess, and if I were watching Morning Joe I might think Gabbard is an "Assad apologist" or Bernie's too old or there is no way to pay for single payer. Yup, Joe Scarborough said it, must be true. It ain't. It's a lie and Scarborough is a fake.
Last edited by Jimbo on 21 Feb 2019, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
Question authority.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 21 Feb 2019, 22:43

Jimbo wrote:Who knows, I'm as gullible as anyone, I guess..

Um, actually...

You know what? Never mind.

Return to “Conspiracyland”