Beyond the 120 - Killing Joke

pcqgod

Re: Beyond the 120 - Killing Joke

Postby pcqgod » 29 Apr 2015, 17:04

Interesting. I've had the debut for years but keep wondering what I should try next.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Apr 2015, 17:26

Fonz wrote:I did the op from my personal perspective; it was never meant to be an exhaustive history of KJ. The benefit from doing it this way is that you get folks like Nev chiming in with their great posts, with that personal touch that sometimes gets missed.

The first 4 albums are great. I like all of them, and there are some real stand out tracks, but I came to them after the event, so to speak. Hearing others' first hand perspectives from the early eighties might give a fuller appreciation of the excitement that this band aroused.

Does that make sense?
I wasn't slacking, honest!

Fair enough. More my problem than yours. I'm greedy and like the real comprehensive discography reviews. But if your plan was to have other posters fill in the gaps, that's cool.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

der nister

Postby der nister » 30 Apr 2015, 13:18

neville harp wrote:

I think the warpaint and the tribal stomps re-ignited my inner Antperson, it was said that a lot of the original Antz hardcore jumped ship to KJ when Adam hit the big time. Requiem could easily be "Whip In My Valise"'s evil twin.

yikes, no! Maybe in the UK, but definitely not in the US, really two different crowds.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Apr 2015, 13:23

der nister wrote:
neville harp wrote:

I think the warpaint and the tribal stomps re-ignited my inner Antperson, it was said that a lot of the original Antz hardcore jumped ship to KJ when Adam hit the big time. Requiem could easily be "Whip In My Valise"'s evil twin.

yikes, no! Maybe in the UK, but definitely not in the US, really two different crowds.

I'm very surprised that you seem to be knowledgeable about anything original Antz hardcore related. But I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised. Do go on!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 30 Apr 2015, 13:55

that'll be the last we see of gav seepage on this thread :lol:

i'm pretty sure that many of the original adam and the ants fans started to go to early 'sex gang children' gigs when he went all 'kings of the wild frontier'.

anyway, back to killing joke, one of my favourite punk bands. i saw them on the 'what's THIS for...!' and 'revelations' tours. i love the first three albums but lost interest in them after that.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 30 Apr 2015, 16:06

The B-side of my 10" of Follow the Leaders.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 30 Apr 2015, 17:41

I remember those 10"s well; I had FTL and Ha! on 10". Until my sister flogged them for beer money when I went to Uni.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Apr 2015, 18:06

Fonz wrote:I remember those 10"s well; I had FTL and Ha! on 10". Until my sister flogged them for beer money when I went to Uni.

Oof!

My brother started buying punk vinyl in 77 and had an incredible collection. He split up with his girlfriend and when he came back from a job he had in Spain for a couple of years he found she had sold it all. :(

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Apr 2015, 19:11

der nister wrote:
neville harp wrote:

So what was the original Antz scene like in the US? Must have been interesting times?

Dr Markus wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Apr 2015, 19:40

Minnie the Minx wrote:
der nister wrote:
neville harp wrote:

So what was the original Antz scene like in the US? Must have been interesting times?

? I know you and G have written that Adam and the Ants were definitely considered punk in the UK. In the US, they were primarily a band where fans aped their fashion, not unlike Culture Club or New Romantics. It didn't go beyond that at all. The US is a big place but I think LA kids really only got into it even from that aspect. It didn't migrate to the Bay Area, that's for sure.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 30 Apr 2015, 23:16

There was a world of difference, it seemed to me, between the Ants pre- and post-KOTWF.
Pre KingsOTWF they were 'punk'; after, I think with the introduction of that 'Burundi beat' thing it was more about the dressing-up.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 15 Jan 2018, 19:21

bump
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Jan 2018, 20:48

Easily the band I've seen live more than any other, first time was the original 'reunion' tour when Youth came back into the fold for Pandemonium,
when I was briefly a student in Nottingham. I remember the mate I went with got bored and went home, but I thought it was intense. Jaz dancing around with a little effigy of himself, and an arc-welder sending sparks into the crowd being the low-budget pyrotechnics. The first three albums are all superb, but What's THIS For!... and Revelations both get overlooked in favour of the debut, despite being far superior in my eyes.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Jul 2018, 09:53

NP

I can't put into words how much i love this record, both song and LP. I first heard it when I was visiting a mate's house, and we were going through his older brother's records while he was out at work (because he would've fucking killed us if he caught us touching them). It had so much i liked in music at that time, and still to this day - a rock-hard rhythm section that could be positively funky at times, razor-sharp guitars, some synths and electronic noise woozing around in the grooves, and a vocalist who who sounded bonkers and happy about it.

They lost me a bit after Night Time, or perhaps i just lost them; either way, i love everything up to that album very very much.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Jul 2018, 11:00

Just because fange posted something here, and while he's not wrong about how good the first LP is, the second is absolute-peak-post-punk for me. I can't claim to have been into this at the time, because I was 6. But I remember buying this sometime in my mid to late teens, from X Records in Bolton. I was hoovering up goth stuff, basically, and bought this because I knew they were sometimes lumped into the same category. But when I got it home, it wasn't quite a disappointment, I just didn't know what to make of it, it seemed different and difficult. Song structures seemed to have been thrown away in favour of one long verse, there is a chorus, but they barely change tack. The vocalist was somewhere in the background, and despite the permanent wash of guitar, everything sounds quite barren and isolated somehow. I guess back then, having spent money on something I had to learn to love it, nowadays I might just've discarded it. But now, it's an automatic hit, and one that never fades.

I mean, how can you not listen to this and just hear perfection? The drumming has risen from the AC/DC level tub-thumping of the debut to this wonderful cascade, and the bass is properly funky, bouncing in between the drum pattern. If it sounds too uplifting, in comes that low synth tone to make it as bleak as hell. And what speaks to the boredom of suburban teenage kids more than "I wonder who chose the colour-scheme - it's very niiiiiiice". Awe-inspiring, innit.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Jul 2018, 09:40

Darkness_Fish wrote:Awe-inspiring, innit.

Not awe, exactly, but I surprised myself by finding it pretty damn good.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 11 Jul 2018, 12:10

Darkness_Fish wrote:

Just because fange posted something here, and while he's not wrong about how good the first LP is, the second is absolute-peak-post-punk for me. I can't claim to have been into this at the time, because I was 6. But I remember buying this sometime in my mid to late teens, from X Records in Bolton. I was hoovering up goth stuff, basically, and bought this because I knew they were sometimes lumped into the same category. But when I got it home, it wasn't quite a disappointment, I just didn't know what to make of it, it seemed different and difficult. Song structures seemed to have been thrown away in favour of one long verse, there is a chorus, but they barely change tack. The vocalist was somewhere in the background, and despite the permanent wash of guitar, everything sounds quite barren and isolated somehow. I guess back then, having spent money on something I had to learn to love it, nowadays I might just've discarded it. But now, it's an automatic hit, and one that never fades.

I mean, how can you not listen to this and just hear perfection? The drumming has risen from the AC/DC level tub-thumping of the debut to this wonderful cascade, and the bass is properly funky, bouncing in between the drum pattern. If it sounds too uplifting, in comes that low synth tone to make it as bleak as hell. And what speaks to the boredom of suburban teenage kids more than "I wonder who chose the colour-scheme - it's very niiiiiiice". Awe-inspiring, innit.

Oh, I love it and What's THIS For..! just as much as the debut. There was a very hard and jagged edge to most of the band's music, but there was ALWAYS a core melodic element there too. Sometimes I like my KJ beats simple and pummeling, a la 'Pssyche' or 'Tension' (and nothing wrong with some AC/DC level tub thumping btw :) ), and sometimes I like them more complicated like 'Unspeakable', 'Follow The Leaders' or 'Let's All Go (To The Fire Dances). They made some very varied and fabulous music during those years.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Return to “Beyond the 130: BCB cult acts”