Beyond The BCB 130 - The Hellacopters.

Jumper K

Beyond The BCB 130 - The Hellacopters.

Postby Jumper K » 29 Mar 2015, 10:12

Genius is a very overused word and you won't find me associating it with the Hellacopters in any way, shape or form. Big, dumbass, heart on the sleeve Rock and Roll music that unashamedly shows it influences and paid no attention to fashion. It is all about the riff and the guitar interplay and the sheer thrill of listening and being moved by the music. I'm not interested in the back story, pay no attention to the reverence in some quarters but still to this day play 2-3 of the albums weekly. Can't say that for most bands. Even the ones I love more.
I first heard them on the compilation cd from Kerraang! Hometaping Volume 1 compiled by The Hives (its worth getting this on its own) It contained lots of great tracks by the likes of the Radio Birdmen, The Saints, The Bellrays and Flaming Groovies. This is the song:

I recognised the MC5, Faces and Stones references but loved the fact that it appeared fresh and fast and passed rule 1 of the JKB guide to music by not outstaying its welcome.

Further investigation led to the harder stuff and this minor classic still excites me to this day

This is how to play it bitches.

Live they were slightly shambolic but when they hit the groove it was truly a life affirming experience. I saw them 4 times and each time left the venue with a big shit-eating grin and no hearing for a few days.

There is no great progression or departure in the back catalogue except maybe for this lp which had better production and is a more straight-ahead rock and roll record.

A bit of light and shade for you.

Well defunct, never likely to reform. All the albums have something to commend them. BCB I present to you a band most will dislike and a few will probably think its the worst thing they've ever heard. Fuck you very much!

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Re: Beyond The BCB 130 - The Hellacopters.

Postby andymacandy » 29 Mar 2015, 11:07

Grande Rock is excellent, and unplayed for ages, an oversight that I have quickly fixed.Proper old fashioned rock and roll.
Bless the weather.......Image

der nister

Postby der nister » 29 Mar 2015, 12:54

great band!
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Mar 2015, 15:50

andymacandy wrote:Grande Rock is excellent, and unplayed for ages, an oversight that I have quickly fixed.Proper old fashioned rock and roll.

Yeah, that's a good one.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 30 Mar 2015, 20:03

One favorite memory of my European trip with Mike Watt was running into these guys backstage at a festival show in Germany, they were friendly and ready to party. Then went out & watched them, and they were just great. Never did catch up again when they came to the States but always dug hearing them when I did.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 15 Jan 2018, 19:07

bump
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Return to “Beyond the 130: BCB cult acts”