Beyond the 130 - Joe Henry

The Fish
Beer Battered

Re: Beyond the 130 - Joe Henry

Postby The Fish » 24 Jul 2015, 14:59

Yeah, although fairly well reviewed generally, I probably like Short Man's Room the least, probably because it moves further away from what I love as "quintessential" Joe Henry. I really like the other trio of pre Trampoline albums though (Shuffletown, Murder of Crows, Kindness of The World) I'm kind of dismissing the first album as "juvenilia"
We're way past rhubarb

Six String

Postby Six String » 31 Jul 2015, 21:56

After listening to tge cds I've acquired so far I have to say I like where he has gone as an artist on his own albums although I do like the earlier ones I do have. The one with the Jayhawk members "Kindness Of The World" has a decidedly unpolished kind of sound to it much like the early Jayhawks albums. The sound of the instruments sound less refined to me, but I like it as I like the Jayhawks. The more jazz influenced albums really tick a lot of boxes for me although my wife's comment was she didn't like Joe's voice and admitted to being a brat about it. :D She's taking voice lessons these days from an old dear friend who is a superb singer of jazz standards and more. So maybe she's hearing imperfections compared to the gold standard. Whatever floats your boat. I find his voice more than serviceable and his words are easy to understand on his recordings which is nice.

So I think Blood From Stars will be my next purchase and then I'll probably get his most recent. His covers are interesting and I think they manage to give a visual image of the ambience of the music inside. At least I can see a similarity in the two things.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 31 Jul 2015, 22:26

Yeah, I'm sure he controls the graphic presentation and he has a very good eye, good taste. Visually, it's a very rich and consistent catalog without getting into a Smiths > Belle & Sebastian kind of formula.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Aug 2015, 20:45

Guy E wrote:Yeah, I'm sure he controls the graphic presentation and he has a very good eye, good taste. Visually, it's a very rich and consistent catalog without getting into a Smiths > Belle & Sebastian kind of formula.

Part of me wants to order those two cds now and be done with it but the other part says enjoy the ones I have for a while before I add two more to the pile. I think I'll go with the latter idea, at least for a while.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 03 Aug 2015, 21:47

Six String wrote:
Guy E wrote:Yeah, I'm sure he controls the graphic presentation and he has a very good eye, good taste. Visually, it's a very rich and consistent catalog without getting into a Smiths > Belle & Sebastian kind of formula.

Part of me wants to order those two cds now and be done with it but the other part says enjoy the ones I have for a while before I add two more to the pile. I think I'll go with the latter idea, at least for a while.

Definitely. Gorging on music is the quickest way to lose interest... at least for guys of our generation.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Aug 2015, 00:41

Guy E wrote:
Six String wrote:

Definitely. Gorging on music is the quickest way to lose interest... at least for guys of our generation.

Agreed.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 15 Jan 2018, 20:05

bump
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Return to “Beyond the 130: BCB cult acts”