What it says on the tin.
never/ever

PC21- Round 4 Match 7 *Hatz 6- Neil Jung 9*

Postby never/ever » 13 Apr 2021, 12:58

A

Acoustic Strawbs – Ghosts

B

Lunatic Soul - The Passage

Last edited by never/ever on 22 Apr 2021, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: PC21- Round 4 Match 7

Postby toomanyhatz » 14 Apr 2021, 00:28

Hmm, let me think about how I'd rather spend 8 minutes plus - one of my favorite prog epics beautifully arranged for three acoustic guitars and exquisite harmonies, or a modern interpretation of the kind of showoffy fretwankery that I found dull the first time around? Tough call. :lol:

OK, B is not that bad. But A is most certainly that good. In fact that's a contender for my favorite Strawbs record ever. Yes, right up there with Grave New World, Hero and Heroine, etc. I said it.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 Apr 2021, 03:53

A
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 14 Apr 2021, 17:19

Lunatic Soul appear to have listened to Tool. A lot. That in itself is no bad thing. Its not original or particularly exciting.
Hang on, I've just clocked that its a side project of Mariusz Duda from Riverside (who I'm rather partial to). Its a bit more self-indulgent than that band, but I guess thats the nature of solo side projects. Does it stand up by itself? Almost.
On to Strawbs. Musically expert, the guitar interplay is exquisite. But its wrapped in that horrible pastoral, almost Medieval style and has that nauseating folk-whine with risible lyrics that put me off completely. Its the worst thing I've heard so far.
B.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 14 Apr 2021, 21:01

Of course, Dave Cousins revisiting his old classic is a thing of beauty, but Lunatic Soul is the most exciting NEW thing I heard in this cup so far.

Thanks, B
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 15 Apr 2021, 04:36

B was good. liked the first half better, the voice and pickery, the vibe. while it had all sorts of groovy, subtle flourishes thrown in, there was something repetitive in the second half that didn't sit as well. stripped down, the riff or whatever got... kinda boring. there's enough there for me to wanna hear more, though.

the strawbs track is lovely. fantastic gweetar. and i most definitely go for pastoral, medieval, folksy music, mwhaha.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Apr 2021, 11:32

Strawbs, the seventh greatest band that ever walked the planet.

I have had the privilege of seeing this acoustic line-up twice and they remain very robust.

A delightful track from the wonderful album of the same name.

Stunningly beautiful.

Lunatic Soul held my attention and I liked the voice and that penetrating acoustic guitar very much.

It was predictable that at the half way mark we were going to get a tempo change and a wig-out - LET'S ROCK!

Nice - replete with Roger Chapman style tambourine [kath - you need one of those]

Yes, a nice instrumental break at around 6 minutes but I have had enough now and am losing interest. Too much repetition.

There's not quit enough guts there for me. [I like a bit off guts me]

Sadly this lot do not hold a candle to the great Cousins & The Boys.

ooooof!

-+A+-

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 15 Apr 2021, 14:50

I love this Strawbs track but this acoustic version is completely new to me and what a delight it is. Wonderful stuff

A tough act for Lunatic Soul to follow but this starts off very brightly indeed and I'm enjoying the acoustic and vocals and it builds very promisingly towards the heavier section with its eastern overtones. I actually have an album by this lot -their debut I think - but I don't recall anything this strong on it, but I must dig it out and give it a spin.

A very strong match, an old classic given a excellent new spin and something bang up to date that was a real gem.

B
Last edited by trans-chigley express on 16 Apr 2021, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 15 Apr 2021, 21:38

A I’ve got this album and have probably seen the Strawbs even more often than C. I nearly chose the original version of Ghosts as one of my choices.
B I’ve got this album too! A great track from a very fine album.

B
“Erratic associate member”

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 16 Apr 2021, 08:34

B

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Apr 2021, 15:40

Lunatic Soul began as a vehicle for Duda’s more ambient leanings that was a distinct contrast to Riverside’s heavier sound (complete with doom vocals on early albums, thankfully now virtually dropped).

Over the years the 2 bands’ sound have gone in opposite directions now getting dangerously close to colliding and becoming close To indistinguishable. Duda has acknowledged this - oddly the realisation only recently dawned on him and he has vowed to address that in future albums.

This track is one that sounds latter Riverside-ish and thus is good enough to get my vote.

Those who are interested in pursuing Mariusz Duda’s music - I would urge you start with the excellent Riverside album Love Fear and The Time Machine.

The Strawbs track was perfectly nice but B gets my vote.

B

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 17 Apr 2021, 16:04

Lord Rother wrote:.

Those who are interested in pursuing Mariusz Duda’s music - I would urge you start with the excellent Riverside album Love Fear and The Time Machine.

This is one of three Riversuide aIbums I ordered today, along with a 2CD version of Duda's Through Shaded Woods.
I'm on a Polish prog binge. :P :oops:
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Apr 2021, 21:56

Neige wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:.

This is one of three Riversuide aIbums I ordered today, along with a 2CD version of Duda's Through Shaded Woods.
I'm on a Polish prog binge. :P :oops:

Lots of good Polish prog out there!

State Urge
Millenium
SBB
Pinkroom
Jerzy Antczak
Joseph Magazine
Loonypark
Moonrise

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 18 Apr 2021, 02:43

Lord Rother wrote:Lunatic Soul began as a vehicle for Duda’s more ambient leanings that was a distinct contrast to Riverside’s heavier sound (complete with doom vocals on early albums, thankfully now virtually dropped).

Over the years the 2 bands’ sound have gone in opposite directions now getting dangerously close to colliding and becoming close To indistinguishable. Duda has acknowledged this - oddly the realisation only recently dawned on him and he has vowed to address that in future albums.

RIP Piotr Grudziński ( the day he died I got a text from my friend I had just parked on Riverside Drive, NYC)

Haven't been keeping up on my Riverside prog news. But agree the 2 are mixing as Riverside was much harder in the beginning especially live.

First off screw this match up. :lol: :lol: I used the original Ghosts last prog cup.

A- Love this album I've got a signed copy from Cousins I bought at one of their shows. In 2003 I saw the three lads and they played Ghosts one of my top three Strawbs songs and love the acoustic version.

Never got to see the Strawbs in the 70's but since 03 I've seen several versions of them.

03- Pub, Sparta NJ - Actoustic

05 - Lakewood, NJ

B- Almost picked a Lunatic Soul song for this contest. I've had a love for anything Duda since I first saw him at NEARfest 05 - 2nd band 1pm and they smoked. This is a good song the new album which I've been listing too. Great bass work from Duda. Duda gets pigeon holed into the Polish PT Steven Wilson but I enjoy lots of his songs in both bands. Also like and saw Indukti (little harder metal polish band that Duda sang on the first album)

Duda
06- NEARfest

08- Crossroads, New Brunswick, NJ
Image[/url]

Tough call I'll go with the unknown to most
B

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Apr 2021, 16:57

A
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 18 Apr 2021, 22:52

A is the clear winner for me.

Lunatic Soul interests me, but this track is a bit meh.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 20 Apr 2021, 13:38

Very difficult to split. I played the LS-album to bits when it came out. Strawbs acoustic has yielded some fine moments for me too. Just boils down to the fact that tonight, it's Polish power for me

B

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 21 Apr 2021, 00:10

The Strawbs had a fine run of great albums and were stupendous when I last saw them, about four years ago. Ghosts is a fine arrangement of a good song, but I'd rather hear the original version.

Lunatic Soul was more fun, and perhaps appeals to my Polish roots.

B

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 22 Apr 2021, 07:49

toomanyhatz 6

Neil Jung 9

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”