What it says on the tin.
never/ever

PC21- Round 4 Match 1 *kath 11- neige 5*

Postby never/ever » 13 Apr 2021, 12:43

A

Van Der Graaf Generator - La Rossa

B

Rufus Zuphall – Spanferkel

Last edited by never/ever on 22 Apr 2021, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

C
Robust

Re: PC21- Round 4 Match 1

Postby C » 13 Apr 2021, 17:39

I love VdGG

I love this album - one of my fave two

I adore this track.

Great voice. Great instrumentation

Powerful stuff

Jax's horns, as always, to die for

Full of music

Rufus Zuphall are a good German band that didn't amount to much

Flute led, and very pleasant, and any comparison's to Jethro Tull are to be expected. I could hear three Tull tracks in there even the breath at the end!

Far too derivative but also no contest up against the completely original VdGG

-+A+-

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 Apr 2021, 18:09

Like a lot of folks here, my reactions to things these days are influenced by how and when I first heard them. For Strawbs, for example, it felt like discovering this wonderful music that nobody else knew about, and I remember staring at the lyric sheets while listening to particular songs over and over (sometimes with herbal aid, but it wasn't necessary).

I bring this up because VDGG is, for lack of a better way to put it, 'the one that got away.' It's sheer coincidence that I had a friend who was a Strawbs fan, but no friends who were VDGG fans. (The same friend, a very brief girlfriend and then platonic friend for many years after, also was the first one to play Curved Air for me - Phantasmagoria, of all things - but I digress.) So I never heard this stuff in real time, have never owned or connected with any related works in any strong way (again I digress, but other than Hamill's Skin, which I reviewed for OPtion Magazine back in the day - I still like it a lot).

Anyway, there's still time to fix that. Perhaps I'll become a big VDGG fan yet. Sorry I missed this one in synch play. It's still not grabbing my attention in a life-changing way, but it's making me perk up my ears at least, and I can still keep using the old "stay tuned for further developments" cliché. You're never too old to learn.

So A it is, then. B is a pleasant enough Tull imitation, but doesn't really show much personality of its own.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 13 Apr 2021, 18:41

C wrote:... even the breath at the end!

i was going along, enjoying the tull clone fairly well~~after all, i *am* a tull freak~~but when i got to the breath at the end, i burst out laughing. it was just sooo blatant an ian lift, mwhahaha.

still, the band in this track sounds alright. i like it.

however, i love vdgg, and this track is wunnerful, rich, moves and varies and packs its punch. love it.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Apr 2021, 18:45

I just can't with Peter Hammill.

B is great from a rhythmic perspective.

B
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 14 Apr 2021, 03:39

toomanyhatz wrote:Like a lot of folks here, my reactions to things these days are influenced by how and when I first heard them. For Strawbs, for example, it felt like discovering this wonderful music that nobody else knew about, and I remember staring at the lyric sheets while listening to particular songs over and over (sometimes with herbal aid, but it wasn't necessary).

I bring this up because VDGG is, for lack of a better way to put it, 'the one that got away.' It's sheer coincidence that I had a friend who was a Strawbs fan, but no friends who were VDGG fans. (The same friend, a very brief girlfriend and then platonic friend for many years after, also was the first one to play Curved Air for me - Phantasmagoria, of all things - but I digress.) So I never heard this stuff in real time, have never owned or connected with any related works in any strong way (again I digress, but other than Hamill's Skin, which I reviewed for OPtion Magazine back in the day - I still like it a lot).

toomanyhatz wrote:Like a lot of folks here, my reactions to things these days are influenced by how and when I first heard them. For Strawbs, for example, it felt like discovering this wonderful music that nobody else knew about, and I remember staring at the lyric sheets while listening to particular songs over and over (sometimes with herbal aid, but it wasn't necessary).

I blame the band. From what I read they didn't tour America because they were afraid of half empty venues. They played one show at the Beacon Theatre, NY in 76 and a few Canadian dates. The Strawbs toured USA several times in the 70's I lucked out because we had a great local record store(Cheap Thrills in NJ) who had JEM imports for $.99. There was a sticker on the Pawn Hearts album saying Featuring Robert Fripp so my friend picked it up. We bought several other VDGG albums in the late 70's although didn't know about Peter's solo career.

In the 00's NEARfest started and in 08 they got Peter Solo and then 09 they got VDDG for their 2nd ever USA concert.

As for La Rossa brilliant tune, I know people have a problem with Peter's vocals but I love them and they really fit VDGG.

B- never heard of them but they sound like a disjointed Tull/Focus band that at least on this song doesn't work. Not a fan of the guitarist although it might be the tune.

a

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 14 Apr 2021, 04:52

Been doing a little more research on the Beacon show found this

Obviously the tour never happened wonder why?

there is a bootleg of this show

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 14 Apr 2021, 08:38

A I own but I’m not a huge fan of the band although this is one of their better efforts
B Nice enough but a bit lightweight

A
“Erratic associate member”

Good Night Austin, Texas

Postby Good Night Austin, Texas » 14 Apr 2021, 12:53

Yeah B sounds very derivative of early Jethro Tull - I'm hearing For a Thousand Mothers for sure, it's a decent enough track though with plenty energy.

I'm sure A has picked before in these cups and although it's an absolute corker i'll go with the more original pick.

B
Last edited by Good Night Austin, Texas on 16 Apr 2021, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 14 Apr 2021, 15:54

This cup has taken a decided downward turn with these 2. B is just awful. They can shove it up their flute-holes.
A by default but I feel dirty.
A.

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 15 Apr 2021, 11:24

A

The obscure, Focus/Tull influenced track simply cannot compete with one of VDGG's very best songs.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 15 Apr 2021, 13:07

I'm not a big fan of VdGG and I can't take being shouted at by Hammill for too long but this one a good 'un for sure.

One Tull is quite enough in this world and this Tull impersonation was a fun listen but seems somewhat unnecessary.

A

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 17 Apr 2021, 08:11

I was tempted to pick something from Still Life myself (probably the title track), it's the VDGG album that means most to me, on a personal level (unrequited love etc.). Lovely!

B might be a bit slight, but I find the Tull comparisons lazy and it doesn't get enough love.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Apr 2021, 12:32

Of course there’s lots to admire about VDGG but the dominant thing unfortunately is the voice and it ruins most of their material.

B was insubstantial but nothing ruined it.

For me, sounding like someone else, being derivative, doesn’t ruin a song. I just vote on what I hear.

B

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Apr 2021, 17:08

Lord Rother wrote:For me, sounding like someone else, being derivative, doesn’t ruin a song.

Don't be so bloody defensive Bob!!

:lol:
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Apr 2021, 21:57

C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:For me, sounding like someone else, being derivative, doesn’t ruin a song.

Don't be so bloody defensive Bob!!

:lol:

You noticed! :D

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Apr 2021, 13:57

B
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 18 Apr 2021, 22:14

La Rossa is one of my favourite tracks by anybody ever. Years ago I myself put it in the only other Cup I was in and it lost.

A
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 18 Apr 2021, 23:12

Enjoyed Rufus Zuphall quite a lot, but it is rather light. VDGG - the instrumentation is great, and while the vocal is taking time for me to find truly endearing, not enough to make me vote against it.

A

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 20 Apr 2021, 13:12

A

For me too.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”