7. The Sundays - Can't Be Sure link
8. Johnny Bristol - Woman, Woman link
9. The Breeders - Safari link
10. 'Sugar' Billy Garner - You're Wasting My Time, Pt. 1 link
11. The Everly Brothers - You're My Girl link
12. Rupert's People - Dream On My Mind link
13. The Undisputed Truth - 1990 link
14. Altered Images - Don't Talk To Me About Love link
Last edited by never/ever on 14 Aug 2022, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: BCB Cup 2022 Semi Final 1

Postby naughty boy » 08 Aug 2022, 11:46

As you might expect at this stage, both fine lists, with a mix of the personal and the popular, and a handful of nice surprises on each.

A seems to have loosened up a bit on the original 'theme' but I'm not sure if this has helped! I prefer to hear Pentangle as a band, I've never been too keen on Talk Talk, and that Maggots thing just strikes me as inessential silly hippy rubbish. Sorry.

B's chosen a fantastic Brit psych track as well as Altered Images finest moment - the Undisputed Truth thing I'm not wild on - and I think, along with about five from the earlier selections I like a lot, means it takes this round

B
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Aug 2022, 19:03

I guess I'm gonna just go with A's theme here. They do seem to be coming up with some decent things at least, so it's not all novelty. Plus, it'd take the edge off my quick exit to be beaten by the eventual winner. I'd love to know where/why they found such an appalling Pentangle track, though.

I like B's list on the whole, and the new ones are pretty good, even AI's ABBA imitation, but A's got the more interesting arc overall.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Aug 2022, 19:34

Love the Fresh Maggots track -moody and entrancing. I have heard a few tracks before from them without them making an impression. This persuades me I should go back. The Talk Talk track is almost Spirit of Eden in mini form, the pointer to where they were heading and one of their loveliest tracks. I don't know why Hatz is so meh about the Pentangle track. For me it has beautiful, sympathetic playing and a pure as a mountain stream vocal. Maybe this is too smooth for some, but its catnip for me. Well payed sir, other than a few mishaps in your original eight, I think you've sustained the mood really well and it's one of the few themed lists I've seen that actually makes sense (because the songs chosen do largely successfully evoke their chosen seasons).

Ruperts People aka Fleurs De Lys didn't release a bad single in the sixties. They're all classics of their kind and this one is great. I love the contrast between the narcoleptic vocal and the aggressive guitars (which is a bit of a UK Psych hallmark). Whitfield often saved his most out there productions for The Undisputed Truth and I often prefer their versions to The Temptations these days (btw is there another example of two bands that so often recorded the same tracks?). The Altered Images pick has the feel of "the 80s it's safe to admit to liking" about it, I kind of wished they'd gone out even more on a limb and selected a Bucks Fizz b-side or something, but still I can't deny its infectious sugar high.

Two fine lists...but B

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Aug 2022, 13:32

I've been enjoying both of these lists and seeing how they have progressed. A's seasonal theme takes us to Spring with some lovely pastoral hippiness from Fresh Maggot, a very nice full band version of So Early in the Spring - presumably from their 80's reformation - and a Talk Talk track that is a definite nod towards their future direction.

B also comes up trumps with a great slice of little known UK Psyche and the spacey funk of The Undisputed Truth with some tasty guitar and harmonica. The Altered Images minor hit has aged remarkably well and rounds out the additions very nicely.

A tough match this but B just edges it.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 09 Aug 2022, 17:34

B comes out on top here.

The Pentangle track is spoiled by the awful fretless bass sound. The Fresh Maggots is ok at best, and the Talk Talk pick is stellar.

However B's new picks are winning it for B. They all have the edge over A's.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 09 Aug 2022, 17:39

B

I love the Lindisfarne, and nice Kate Bush and Talk Talk on A, but not much else grabs me

The Sundays, Altered Images , Deerhunter, Flo and Eddie, and just about everything else on B works for me

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Aug 2022, 01:15

Two fine lists i can get behind, no doubt. I love a good themed list and A has been a treat, with some deeper picks i love. B is a nice mix of rock, pop and soul that is right up my alley too. For being a bit more daring i am going with A.

A
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 10 Aug 2022, 11:27

A
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 10 Aug 2022, 13:31

A

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 11 Aug 2022, 15:19

I've been sniffier than I maybe should have been about A. There's plenty there I like (Pretties/Isleys/Kate B/Gil S-H),some I don't (Floyd /Popol Vuh) and a fair few I have issues with despite liking some well enough. Eddy Grant and Osibisa are both fun but a trick missed to expand the range. I'd have had one or the other not both (too similar). Also it bothers me more than it should that things are shoehorned into the theme. If sunshine is stretching it then April 5th looks like downright cheating. Not as if there aren't loads more songs with Summer/Spring in the title.

B's highs (ZZ Hill/Bristol/Sundays) are just a bit higher, and always liked that Altered Images track. Still close but The Undisputed TRuth which is a cracker decides it.

B
We're way past rhubarb

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 12 Aug 2022, 22:56

I think I voted for both of these previously. I liked A's winter tunes, but the springtime is not doing anything for me. The summer tunes were always a little bit sketchy. I don't like B's new three either but I like the overall list better - Breeders, Moby Grape, Sundays, a few more.

B

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 13 Aug 2022, 08:56

A pours in some good additions but I like the shape of

B

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Aug 2022, 23:30

B
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 14 Aug 2022, 09:32

I liked the Pentangle tune although I'm not sure eighties parping fretless is a good look for a folk outfit (along with a suitable - Wal - fretless bass you need a Boss OC2 octave pedal to achieve this sound pioneered by Pino Palladino and Guy Pratt).
I didn't like Fresh Maggots and while the Talk Talk tune was nice I cant help thinking there might be better choices, ones that don't mention spring?

Rupert's People... my neighbour is a burly builder, his two young sons are called Rupert and Felix which always makes me chuckle. I don't really get the attraction of this kind of generic British psych I'm afraid.
Were the Undisputed Truth's 1990 predictions far from the mark? I don't know I tired of this pretty rapidly - they seems to have been listening closely to Gil and Marvin but perhaps not closely enough.
Lovely, lovely Claire... (pointless celeb anecdote alert!!) I put her post-AA band, Universal Love School, on at the Student's Union club. She was very nice and genuine and a total pro, especially considering this once towering (not physically) presence in the pop charts was now playing what was effectively a toilet. She was testing out her new material which I don't recall at all. Her road manager tried to score coke off me - I had none - for the journey back to Glasgow. I pointed him in the direction of our hippy caterers who catered for the many varying needs of the minor indie glitteratti visiting The Basement.
Dependable band choice for the cup I think but they did much better.

Soooo, because I reckon Pentangle might be worth checking out further, I'm going A
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 14 Aug 2022, 11:17

Let's just say that I still hold a grudge for B winning against me in the first round with such a so-so list.

(the three new ones are fine, but I still hate that Deerhunter track)

And I want to know A's three autumn picks, because his three additions are all fabulous
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 14 Aug 2022, 13:19

never/ever wrote:List A

1. Summer Time - Pretty Things link
2. Summer Breeze - Isley Brothers link
3. Sunshine Day - Osibisa link
4. Summetime - Sidney Bechet Quintet link
5. Delius (Song of Summer) - Kate Bush link
6. Walking on Sunshine - Eddy Grant link
7. Summer '68 - Pink Floyd link
8. Morning Sun - Popol Vuh link
9. Winter Song - Lindisfarne link
10. Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles link
11. Winter in America - Gil Scott-Heron link
12. Spring - Fresh Maggots link
13. So Early in the Spring - Pentangle link
14. April 5th - Talk Talk link

List B

1. Z.Z. Hill - Clean Up America link
2. Flo & Eddie - I Been Born Again link
3. Operator Music Band - Requirements link
4. Ray Barretto - El Nuevo Barretto link
5. Moby Grape - Omaha link
6. Deerhunter - Back To The Middle link
7. The Sundays - Can't Be Sure link
8. Johnny Bristol - Woman, Woman link
9. The Breeders - Safari link
10. 'Sugar' Billy Garner - You're Wasting My Time, Pt. 1 link
11. The Everly Brothers - You're My Girl link
12. Rupert's People - Dream On My Mind link
13. The Undisputed Truth - 1990 link
14. Altered Images - Don't Talk To Me About Love link

A 6 - B 9

List A was trans-chigley express...well done.mate but I'm afraid winter has finally come for you.

B- congrats! You're in the final! The.last three please!

trans-chigley express

Re: BCB Cup 2022 Semi Final 1-last train to nowhere

Postby trans-chigley express » 15 Aug 2022, 12:31

I'm surprised a themed list made it this far :)
Nice one B, good luck in the final.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 15 Aug 2022, 12:35

Neige wrote:
And I want to know A's three autumn picks, because his three additions are all fabulous

I hadn't finalized three but I had several in a short list including Strawbs, Kinks, XTC, Justin Hayward, Neil Young. The Strawbs would have been a definite inclusion

Mike Boom

Re: BCB Cup 2022 Semi Final 1-last train to nowhere

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Aug 2022, 16:16

trans-chigley express wrote:
Neige wrote:

I hadn't finalized three but I had several in a short list including Strawbs, Kinks, XTC, Justin Hayward, Neil Young. The Strawbs would have been a definite inclusion

Oh no, I would have voted for that !

(plus of course the added bonus that it would have really got up the noses of the miserable old gits of the BCB Anti XTC League!)

Return to “The Official BCB Cup”