10. 'Sugar' Billy Garner - You're Wasting My Time, Pt. 1 link
11. The Everly Brothers - You're My Girl link
12. Rupert's People - Dream On My Mind link
13. The Undisputed Truth - 1990 link
14. Altered Images - Don't Talk To Me About Love link
15. Michael Kiwanuka - Tell Me A Tale link
16. Tom Tom Club - L'Elephant link
17. The Boo Radleys - Barney (...And Me) link
Last edited by never/ever on 21 Aug 2022, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: BCB Cup 2022 Grand Final

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 Aug 2022, 15:18

B
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Aug 2022, 16:11

B

Pretty close actually, I like a lot of the stuff on A an enjoyed the new one, Charlie Feathers especially, great piece of rock a billy , but B is more to my taste, and has the brilliant Boo Ridley's track perhaps my fave of theirs.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Aug 2022, 18:32

B has more to suit this old cloth-eared prog goon

[and includes the magnificent Breeders]

B

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Aug 2022, 18:37

It was A before I listened to the new ones, and it's even more A now. Even Marc Almond helps, god bless us all.

B has some great ones and some dull head-scratchers. Still waiting for that Boo Radleys track to go somewhere, and it stopped playing about an hour ago. (It still continues endlessly in some alternate universe, I think.)
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Aug 2022, 20:55

B

Neither one is stellar though, a few tracks on each aside.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 15 Aug 2022, 21:08

Yeah, I'd be jumping for the fast-forward if these were playlists. Of course there's a lot of good stuff, but around a half is barely 'cup standard'.

All things considered, I'd be happier hearing

B
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 16 Aug 2022, 13:14

A

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 16 Aug 2022, 14:01

I have found a lot to enjoy in List B and a couple of the additions hit home too. I especially enjoyed the retro 70's soul sounds of Michael Kiwanuka, very derivative it may be but nicely done and hugely enjoyable. The Boo Radleys was good too, a band I've not heard much by to be honest.

A has some fine picks on the way to the final (Kate Bush, Jerry Moore and Roland Kirk in particular) but the 3 additional ones just aren't knocking me out enough to sway my vote.

B for me, but well played both.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 Aug 2022, 02:40

Much to enjoy on both lists, but B has more in the way of musical revelations for me.

B
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

robertff

Postby robertff » 17 Aug 2022, 08:30

Pretty much enjoyed much of both lists but when it comes to choosing B is the one I'm going to go for, sorry A.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Aug 2022, 08:47

The Tom Tom Club are seriously underrated, probably because they're in the shadow of Talking Heads, and that's a great pick. Really enjoyed the Kiwanuka too, I think I'll investigate the album. On A the Feathers was fun, but overall it's becoming less and less appealing to me and the other two picks didn't do it for me . Well done on reaching the final though!

B

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 17 Aug 2022, 15:01

I've voted for both of these more than once and it's a close call here. Of the new threes I like A's Hightower and especially the Charlie Feathers. B's Kiwanunka and the Boo Radleys both appeal to me, the Tom Tom Club not so much. Overall A just wins by a nose here.

A

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Aug 2022, 20:14

A
I've never knowingly heard, definitely never listened, to any of these tracks before.
1. The Impressions - Love’s Happening I'm a great fan of The Impressions, but this is probably the least good track that I've heard from them. The performance is basically Curtis with backing singers rather than the peerless vocal vocal group they are, and the song and arrangement over-complicated and overthought. 3.5/10
2. Kate Bush - And Dream of Sheep I tend to be all in or all out with KB, and which side I fall tends to correlate with the degree to which her Pr*g/Op*ra tendencies are unleashed, ands they've spilled all over the Persian rug on this one. I listened to the end out of duty, but never again 2.5/10
3. Jerry Moore - Life is a Constant Journey Home I saw a fair few people rated this, and as I never heard of him, I was intrigued. For some reason I was expecting something soulful or - gulp - fu*ky, but it turns out to be the sort of ballad and arrangement I would have expected from David Ackles. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but this list is shaping up to be alarmingly tasteful. 4.5/10
4. Van Morrison - Joe Harper Saturday Morning Long ago decided that Van the Messy Eater did all his best work with Them, although I had only heard one of his pre-AW solo tracks before - this makes two, and it isn't a patch on Brown-Eyed Girl. God I miss his mouth-organ. He was good at the old suck and blow. This is a dull track by a dull man. 2/10
5. Fauna Flora - Happy Hour Hallelujah, something with a bit of lightness and joy and a vocal I can get behind. Sure it's a bit derivative, but at least the material it's derived from is something I would have enjoyed listening to. 6/10
6. Roland Kirk - You Did It You Did It He of the fluttering tongue and prodigious appetite for weed was never really of interest to me back in the dim and distant when I was actually prepared to listen to post-’40s jazz, but at least he keeps it within the three minutes. Don't think I could stand it any longer. I don't understand this sort of thing, it did nothing for me at all except make me wish it would stop. 1/10
7. Kevin Coyne – A Leopard Never Changes its Spots Another well-respected artist I really disliked on first sight and hearing (on telly): seems like this list is themed after all ;) . Yet again, I marvel at the acuity of my instincts in my 20s. I thought this was horrible, and turned it off after a couple of minutes. Unpleasant voice, noisy arrangement in a bad way. 1/10
8. Bettye Lavette - Let Me Down Easy Glory be,a piece of real soul from the mid-60s. Bettye was never in my personal pantheon of RS vocalists, and I somehow missed this when I was 16, but I'm very glad to have heard it now. Hell, played it twice. Great vocal performance, nice guitar, too. Hit's my sweet spot 8/10
9. Mark Eric - Build Your Own Dreams Talking of the 60s...I have no idea whether this guy came from California, or owned any Bob Lind records, but I would not be surprised to find out he had. Oh Dog, a fucking flute - luckily, one of the few genres in which this is not an automatic disqualification is sunshine pop, which this is shaping to be. Would have been a better record if he'd taken inspiration from a pre-crash Jan Berry rather than post-meltdown Brian Wilson, but it isn't bad. 5/10
10. Eddie Bo – Check Your Bucket the most impressive thing about Mr Bo is the Terry-Thomas gap between his teeth. The 'song' is throwaway rubbish and there's far too much grunting: although the guitars burble along pleasantly enough, the vocals don't. 3.5 / 10
11. The Lucksmiths – Camera Shy Always been a Go-Betweens fan, and I suspect the Lucksmiths were, too. Nicely recorded, with a good guitar and bass sound, what's not to like? 7.5/10
12. Thomas Feiner & Anywhen No real reference for this, nor any smart-arse comments A touch of American Music Club about the song and arrangement. Wasn't really in the mood for its funereal pace - where's Melt-Banana when you need them? - but I liked the chime and boom sound 5.5/10
13. Damon – Poor Poor Genie Double-tracked vocals? Surely this isn't Bobby Vee in disguise. The person who posted this, and a lot of people BTL suggest this is 'psychedelic', presumably because the guitar is fuzzed. Undistinguished Pop music for Then People is what it actually is, and frankly, they can keep it. 3.5/10
14. Stan Getz – Her Sufficient non-jazz elements that I can actually listen to it. For half its length, anyway. SG always had a lovely tone, and his breathy meandering is nicely pilowed by the strings - but there's nothing in it for me in terms of expression or affect. A decorator rather than an artist. 4.5/10
15. Willie Hightower - Back Road Into Town Vocals are excellent, but the bcking isn't, not realy. Very southern, cusp of the Seventies sound. DRums far too prominent for my liking. 5/10
16. Marc Almond - Autumn When I worked in Soho in the 80s and 90s, I more than once saw Tiny Marc hanging around. I was a fan of Soft Cell, and carried on buying his solo albums for a while, although I found I was listening to them less and less often with every release, and gave up eventually. This is from after that period, obvs. The backing - balalaikas? massed mandolins? - is entertaining, but Marc's move into declamatory chanson isn't, really. Agnes Bernelle did it so much better. 4/10
17. Charlie Feathers - That Certain Female Second division rockabilly is seriously better than the Premier League in many other genres. 6.5/10
Total (subject to check) 75/170

I'll be back to shred B later in the week :D , but right now, things to do, soz

A very different list, where I know more of the artists and actually own some of the tracks

1. Z.Z. Hill - Clean Up America I guess double z sounds better in the USA (zee zee) than over here (Zed Zed). Personally, as someone who is old school, I prefer Izzard Izzard. Either way, this track is not a hill (clever wording, cheers) I'm prepared to die on. Dullfunkwank. 2.5/10
2. Flo & Eddie - I Been Born Again My general view on this pair is that they fell off a cliff when they left the Turtles, giving up pop for Fwank Izzardry, but I'll give them a go as they have decent voices. Jeez, though, this is as far from pop as you can get, a slow drag full of musicians pulling tasteful 'licks' from their 'axes' while gurning soulfully. Oh, it' over. Was there a song? Rubbish, truly. 2/10 Dreadful start
3. Operator Music Band - Requirements This is more like it, a bit of art-pop, electronica and minimalism, with a nice breathy no-singing vocal. It's as if Young Marble Giants decided to beef up their act a bit. Oh, and the abrupt ending was very YMG. A goodie 6.5/10
4. Ray Barretto - El Nuevo Barretto I bought a Ray Barretto single nearly 60 years ago. I'm not fond of Latin rhythms in general, nor, as those who have been following will know by now, trumpets, but this is harmless, if too long for my attention span - oh it's picked up with the switch to piano lead, which has lifted the score up a point on its own. Couod have done without the last two minutes, though. 4/10
5. Moby Grape - Omaha - An extraordinary rarity in this cup, a track I own and have liked for more than half a century. I was an early adopter of the Grape and this is a fine example of their lead guitar interplay, which was very new to my ears back then. It's a pity about the marketing gimmicks: without them they would have had a much more rewarding career, I feel. 6.5/10
6. Deerhunter - Back To The Middle That lonog, loping guitar line/riff rolodex that appears in the intro and the middle is the best thing in this track, I think. The vocals aren't all that, and I've forgotten the song already, even though it finished les than a minute ago. 4 / 10
7. The Sundays - Can't Be Sure The Sundays were touted as the Next Big Thing and I bought this single - their debut - on the basis of that, but as far as I remember didn't buy anything else by them. There's something about Harriet's vocals that put me off - which is weird, as they're not particularly different from a lot of her contemporaries that I liked much more. The guitar sound I like, though. 4.5/10
Going to stop there, but will be back later or tomorrow to finish
8. Johnny Bristol - Woman, Woman Well, I know Bristol from his work at Motown as a writer and producer, so I was expecting something a bit different from this Richie Havens style rhythmic journey to nowhere in particular, wahwah pedals were a curse on black music. Not bad, just not my thing at all. 4/10
9. The Breeders - Safari I bought a few Breeders records - not this one - but can't for the life of me remember why. It all sounds kind of formulaic now, although I am a sucker for the sort of squally guitar at the end. 4.5/10
10. 'Sugar' Billy Garner - You're Wasting My Time, Pt. 1 The feeling is mutual. Fuck off funkface 1/10
11. The Everly Brothers - You're My Girl It takes a special form of dedication to track down a poor to middling track by the Everlys, but here it is. It's a mess 4/10
12. Rupert's People - Dream On My Mind Blimey this is primitive. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. The harmonies sound off to me, but what do I know about such things? I expect it was all very exciting when it was recorded, but not now. Inept, without charm, fail. 3.5/10
13. The Undisputed Truth - 1990 There is of course no such thing as the undisputed truth, and my life would continue undisturbed if The Undisputed Truth didn't exist either. It's bollocks, the sound of Motown disappearing up its own arse. Shame! Boo! 2/10
14. Altered Images - Don't Talk To Me About Love A pleasant pop earwash after the recent unpleasantness: although the drum sound is a bit of a letdown, CG's cheery voice always sounds vaguely celebratory. 5/10
15. Michael Kiwanuka - Tell Me A Tale Surprised by this. For a modern British soul pastiche, this is pretty decent with a fine arrangement and a good sound. He's from the same part of London as Ray Davies, and I read in wiki that he's a lifetime fan of THFC, so we have that in common... 7/10
16. Tom Tom Club - L'Elephant Count me in as someone who liked the Talking Heads when they started out, got put off by Byrne's archness, and grew to love tTTC. I have this album, and enjoy this track, which has a Kid Creole and Coconuts vibe about it (another band I liked a lot at this time) 6/10
17. The Boo Radleys - Barney (...And Me) Ah, there was a period of two or three years when I thought that the Boos were the best British band around and I had the entire oeuvre on vinyl. Got a fine price for Giant Steps, which, in retrospect, was their peak. This track rounds out the list nicely. 7/10

And I make that a total of 74/170, so that's A
Last edited by Rayge on 20 Aug 2022, 18:05, edited 3 times in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 19 Aug 2022, 10:44

Don't like much on either list.
Its all a bit safe isn't it. Neither has grasped the metal and put what they really like. Its all about pandering to a wider taste. Thats the way to 'win' I suppose but it doesn't make for a pleasant listening experience. Quite the opposite.
Well, I like Charlie Feathers, and its the best track on the whole sorry putrid mess.
A.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Aug 2022, 16:42

Well I chose stuff that I liked with no regard for what might be approved by the doyens of BCB Cups, with a variety of genres thrown in - I was savagely beaten in Round 1.... :D

I couldn’t keep up with the lists early on, regrettably, but having a much needed day off today I’ve had a chance to catch up on the final; I’m narrowly siding with A too.

A

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 19 Aug 2022, 22:00

A pips it for me.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 20 Aug 2022, 12:03

Both lists have given me some homework and I have enjoy large parts of them. I still have the most enjoyment out of

A
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 20 Aug 2022, 17:29

A... still for Bettye, mostly
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Aug 2022, 10:23

I find A mainly alienating and B never really hitting the bullseye. Even though it has more artists I like, the tunes chosen are frustratingly not my personal faves (Tom Tom Club, Altered images). I like The Sundays tune for nostalgic reasons as mentioned earlier - it came out in my first year of poly (IIRC) but christ they were bland! I think I read at the time that Harriet was a bit like Liz Fraser so I bought the single. It's the kind of music the nice lovey dovey middle class couple in your shared student house listen to... Kind of Coldplayish ... Too harsh? Maybe.

Anyway, for all that B
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Return to “The Official BCB Cup”