cup 11 -thoughts..

The Modernist

cup 11 -thoughts..

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jan 2011, 21:47

Bit of a low key start.
Tie 3 is the one to watch, very nip and tuck so far and difficult to predict which two will get through.

Tapiocahead

Re: cup 11 -thoughts..

Postby Tapiocahead » 24 Jan 2011, 21:56

If can continue to be arsed, I'll be keeping a record of how many times artists and songs are included in lists...

The leaders so far from artists are ..

2 picks
Nina Simone
Magnetic Fields
T Rex
Stevie Wonder
Roxy Music
Aloe Blacc
Terry Callier

I hadn't even heard of Aloe Blacc before tonight.
Fishstick selling fuck

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 24 Jan 2011, 22:00

Yes, I'd been wondering about Aloe Blacc after seeing he was playing here soon and reading good things about his record; interesting to see him crop up in the cup. Is it just coincidence? Will we see more of him? Is he a token "safe" new name to drop?*
Callier v Callier in match two is perhaps a coincidence - it's quite often you see lists featuring the same artist pitted against each other. I suppose the law of averages suggests it has to happen.

Any other comments? Well, two lists will already feel certain of progression after only a couple of hours' voting, but the third tie in particular is very tough to call. The suspense is already starting to build!

*I checked out the links, though, and can't say I was that enthused about the music - it's well-done and all, but that kind of thing was perfected forty years ago: he needs to bring something original to it.
Last edited by Penk! on 24 Jan 2011, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 24 Jan 2011, 22:00

Tapiocahead wrote:I hadn't even heard of Aloe Blacc before tonight.

Is Vera his sister?
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Jan 2011, 22:01

I'm still reeling from the fact that Fennesz made our top 100 albums!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jan 2011, 22:02

Sir John Coan wrote:I'm still reeling from the fact that Fennesz made our top 100 albums!

It's been a poor list so far. Too much fucking prog for starters!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 24 Jan 2011, 22:06

Goat Boy wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:I'm still reeling from the fact that Fennesz made our top 100 albums!

You twats are supposed to be bitching about the BCB Cup and not the top 100 albums list. Go start a thread there if you want to gripe about it. :lol:
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Django

Postby Django » 24 Jan 2011, 22:17

Thesiger wrote:
Tapiocahead wrote:I hadn't even heard of Aloe Blacc before tonight.

Is Vera his sister?

Vera Blacc?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 24 Jan 2011, 22:17

Goat Boy wrote:

Prog, where? I must have missed it.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 24 Jan 2011, 22:21

Fuck this middle ground bullshit. I want to see more tea party lists!

And that hardcore one doesn't count.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 24 Jan 2011, 22:31

A few quick questions to pass the time:

- Do you follow the voting on matches you're not involved in?

- In your match, do you prefer the voters to just state their choice or give reasons? Why?

- Do you hang back to see how the voting's going or do you leap right in as soon as you open the thread? Do you play it any differently in your own match?

- Do you think you can spot the identities of any of the lists up yet?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Jan 2011, 22:34

A few quick questions to pass the time:

- Do you follow the voting on matches you're not involved in? not for all of them, no. Sometimes

- In your match, do you prefer the voters to just state their choice or give reasons? Why? I like voters to give reasons for voting for or against MY list! otherwise I'm not interested

- Do you hang back to see how the voting's going or do you leap right in as soon as you open the thread? Do you play it any differently in your own match? - straight in, whoever's involved - altho' it's rarely early on in the match as I don't get a chance to vote until I'm home from work, which is late-ish

- Do you think you can spot the identities of any of the lists up yet? - one or two, maybe. Nothing too obvious yet!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jan 2011, 22:37

- Do you follow the voting on matches you're not involved in? Yes.

- In your match, do you prefer the voters to just state their choice or give reasons? Why? Just the choice.

- Do you hang back to see how the voting's going or do you leap right in as soon as you open the thread? Do you play it any differently in your own match? I have voted right away.

- Do you think you can spot the identities of any of the lists up yet? No, the rock flavored lists are too hard.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Beno

Postby Beno » 24 Jan 2011, 22:38

A low key start for sure. After analysing the lists I decided I didn't like the idea of voting for two lists so took the option of only voting for one. I've always tried to pick lists for positive reasons but finding a reaon to not vote for just one seemed to put me in a negative mindset. I appreciate though that allowing two votes does mean that all participants get more votes so may be a lot more positive in terms of the competitor feel good factor.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jan 2011, 22:48

- Do you follow the voting on matches you're not involved in?

Of course. I'm a BCB cup obsessive.

- In your match, do you prefer the voters to just state their choice or give reasons? Why?

Well of course you can get irate when someone says 'they're just picking this to be cool' or 'what a load of crap', even so I'd still rather read comments as I would in all the matches. I always feel not enough make the effort with that.

- Do you hang back to see how the voting's going or do you leap right in as soon as you open the thread? Do you play it any differently in your own match?

I never allow myself to be swayed by the way others vote. I try give each tie due consideration and reflection...before slagging them off!
Actually I try to be fairly positive most of the time.

- Do you think you can spot the identities of any of the lists up yet?

I've got a good idea on four or five (the punk one is a total giveaway). But I'm keeping schtum.
Last edited by The Modernist on 25 Jan 2011, 12:46, edited 3 times in total.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Jan 2011, 22:55

The Modernist wrote:- Do you follow the voting on matches you're not involved in?

You really are, aren't you? I don't think I've ever known you as enthusiastic and as active on the boards. Insane!

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 24 Jan 2011, 22:58

Sir John Coan wrote:
The Modernist wrote:- Do you follow the voting on matches you're not involved in?

You really are, aren't you? I don't think I've ever known you as enthusiastic and as active on the boards. Insane!

We'll see if he keeps the same attitude after he's ousted in the first round again.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jan 2011, 22:58

Sir John Coan wrote:

:oops:
The only other thing I get like this about is The World Cup :)
And like that I'll get jaded by it by the middle of the second week! :lol:

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Jan 2011, 23:10

Seriously - it's a great thing, this. For so many reasons.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 24 Jan 2011, 23:13

Most lists are going for the 'do you know this one?' choices.
They're a hotchpotch of anti popularism.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Return to “2011 BCB Cup”