Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 May 2022, 15:18

It's hard not to disappear into a doom scroll wilderness at the moment given the smorgasbord of dreadful things that you can choose to read about. I have to actively stop myself from reading things and leave my phone off for days at a time because otherwise I would go nuts. I'm working today, and opened some tabs when my mind strayed to investigate Don Huffines, who came third in the primary for Governor. I was unaware of this tool until we were driving to San Antonio last week and I saw a huge sign by the roadside saying "DEPORT ILLEGALS." Don Huffines smirked above this, under the shade of a big hat. It was one of those few days I had my phone off and we were going to see a Georgia O Keeffe exhibition at a beautiful art gallery. Imagine having to live and work in the vicinity of one of those signs and be unable to say or do anything about it. I wore all my teeth enamel out grinding my jaw for the rest of the journey.

Today, I went and read about what he is into. I am not going to link to his site, but my life is certainly diminished for knowing he exists and that a team of people got up a ladder and posted that sign and then got down the ladder and probably went to get tacos.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 May 2022, 20:13

It’s FENTANYL AWARENESS DAY!!!!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 May 2022, 23:03

No, it’s smash a passenger window because you can day. :evil:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 10 May 2022, 23:48

Minnie, wé've got the Huffines signs in the Houston area too. My wife and I can't figure out how it's pronounced. Is the emphasis on "huf' (like in fluffiness or stuffiness) or on 'ines' (as it prestine). I need to know for when I meet him. I want to say 'Mr Huffines, you're a cunt-and-a-half even worse than Ted Cruz, who is the Devil because I have a one-dollar note that proves it', but I want to get the pronunciation right. Also, isn't he a thing of the past now? Gregg Abbott beat him in the gubernatorial primaries right? Or is he running for something else? Excuse my ignorance. I' won't get really interested in Texas politics until there's a serious chance Abbott, Paxton and Patrick are going to lose their totalitarian grip on state power.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 May 2022, 00:55

mudshark wrote:Minnie, wé've got the Huffines signs in the Houston area too. My wife and I can't figure out how it's pronounced. Is the emphasis on "huf' (like in fluffiness or stuffiness) or on 'ines' (as it prestine). I need to know for when I meet him. I want to say 'Mr Huffines, you're a cunt-and-a-half even worse than Ted Cruz, who is the Devil because I have a one-dollar note that proves it', but I want to get the pronunciation right. Also, isn't he a thing of the past now? Gregg Abbott beat him in the gubernatorial primaries right? Or is he running for something else? Excuse my ignorance. I' won't get really interested in Texas politics until there's a serious chance Abbott, Paxton and Patrick are going to lose their totalitarian grip on state power.

I am not sure what he is up to now- maybe he just likes people knowing what he thinks, even after the voting?
I've been wondering about where the advertising boards are situated- if they are on public property or private property - or both? Do people get money for letting people put signs up on their land, be it residential or business? And if so, do they get a say in what kind of sign goes up there? I mean presumably not - Baron thought they might be able to stipulate something in a contract - but that sounds absolutely crazy.

The thought of sitting watching while they erect a sign saying "deport illegals" on your land. :lol:

I mean it's not funny, but you know what I mean.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 May 2022, 00:45

Squirrels can’t vomit.

Dr Markus wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 13 May 2022, 01:54

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Squirrels can’t vomit.

Really? That's nuts! (It really is)
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 May 2022, 01:57

souphound wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Squirrels can’t vomit.

Really? That's nuts! (It really is)

:lol:

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 May 2022, 18:10

The older you get, the more tote bags you want.

Dr Markus wrote:

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 30 May 2022, 14:24

Before the law was changed in 2020, rape was considered a misdemeanour offence in Senegal.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 31 May 2022, 00:03

George Stephenson, the engineer famous for developing steam engines, trains and railways was a keen gardener and had an allotment. He was also the pioneer of straight cucumbers, designing and having made for him glass tubes that were fitted over the developing fruit and forced them to grow straight.

Six String

Postby Six String » 31 May 2022, 03:50

That’s no fun!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 31 May 2022, 04:08

Seriously - a silly-straw-like tube would be way cooler.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Jun 2022, 19:02

Pomegranate seeds really are fantastic!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Jun 2022, 20:44

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Pomegranate seeds really are fantastic!

Yes! So is the juice. One of my favorite salads in autumn is spinach, matchstick slices of persimmon, toasted pecans and pomegranate seeds.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Jun 2022, 20:54

Six String wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Pomegranate seeds really are fantastic!

Yes! So is the juice. One of my favorite salads in autumn is spinach, matchstick slices of persimmon, toasted pecans and pomegranate seeds.

Ooooooh lovely!

Dr Markus wrote:

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 05 Jun 2022, 09:16

Brian May had a new species of flatwing damsel fly named after him, Heteragrion brianmayi.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 07 Jun 2022, 14:01

Steam-driven devices were known as early as the aeolipile in the first century AD.

I was just a 'toy' apparently but, just imagine if there'd been someone around smart enough to think that it could be used to do work. The Romans could have had the industrial revolution and we'd all be living on Mars, wearing silver suits and drinking space lemonade.
Bugger off.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Jun 2022, 14:26

Minnie Cheddars wrote:
mudshark wrote:Minnie, wé've got the Huffines signs in the Houston area too. My wife and I can't figure out how it's pronounced. Is the emphasis on "huf' (like in fluffiness or stuffiness) or on 'ines' (as it prestine). I need to know for when I meet him. I want to say 'Mr Huffines, you're a cunt-and-a-half even worse than Ted Cruz, who is the Devil because I have a one-dollar note that proves it', but I want to get the pronunciation right. Also, isn't he a thing of the past now? Gregg Abbott beat him in the gubernatorial primaries right? Or is he running for something else? Excuse my ignorance. I' won't get really interested in Texas politics until there's a serious chance Abbott, Paxton and Patrick are going to lose their totalitarian grip on state power.

I am not sure what he is up to now- maybe he just likes people knowing what he thinks, even after the voting?
I've been wondering about where the advertising boards are situated- if they are on public property or private property - or both? Do people get money for letting people put signs up on their land, be it residential or business? And if so, do they get a say in what kind of sign goes up there? I mean presumably not - Baron thought they might be able to stipulate something in a contract - but that sounds absolutely crazy.

The thought of sitting watching while they erect a sign saying "deport illegals" on your land. :lol:

I mean it's not funny, but you know what I mean.

I don't know how you two can live there. I was born in Houston, but raised in San Diego after living in a ton of places because my dad was stationed all over the place. We even lived in the Philippines once where one of my sisters was born. Anyway, I always felt that my Texan heritage was taken from me by the Navy if you can imagine that. All my relatives are still either in Texas or Louisiana (my mother is 100% Cajun). But I got over that a long time ago. Once my politics were firmly established, and I realized I'm more of a liberal than a Catholic, I came to the conclusion that you couldn't pay me to live in the South anymore. I still appreciate it for its complexity, beauty, food, music, and history (ah, but that last word is a bit tricky), but literally everyone I know who still lives there is a Republican.

I would constantly be on edge every time I left my house if I lived in a red state. My hat's off to you guys.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Jun 2022, 15:45

Keith Moon wasn’t afraid of heights

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Nextdoorland”