4%

Total votes: 53

Deebank
Resonator

Re: Ban Jimbo?

Postby Deebank » 28 Aug 2021, 10:22

toomanyhatz wrote:
Deebank wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:That and my obvious deep-seeded need to be vindictive. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that a dig? Well, fair enough I suppose.

I get the argument that 'we' don't want to be a conduit for Jimbo's QAnon brand of batshit disinformation but no one - and I mean that literally - comes on to an obscure music forum to browse its darkest recesses seeking out medical advice about the pandemic. I don't see the danger here if that's the argument.

Not really a dig at anyone, just trying to be good-humored about it and maybe even poking a little fun at myself. You're not the only one that suggested the idea, anyway.

And yeah, as I said on the thread plenty of times, I wasn't so much worried that someone here would buy into his bs because I know we're all smarter than that. In reality it was no more than a small annoyance, but a) it was dominating things and b) I couldn't come up with any positives about it continuing (and neither could anyone else, it seems).

I know I take on a defensive posture here sometimes, but I'm really not feeling put upon about it, particularly. Feeling pretty good about things, in fact.

Glad to hear it! :)

I think most of us don't even know that any of this is going on until our attention is drawn to it, so it isn't a problem and it vindicates Prof's actions.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Aug 2021, 10:43

Everyone long since realised that he didn’t understand the medical details of points he was making and after that it seemed pointless to engage. I am still not sure he wasn’t becoming genuinely ill. I also do worry about his wife who I am sure has become
Isolated as he alienated everyone.
I did find it increasingly jarring knowing that he was cheerfully slagging off health care workers and the NHS. Being a conspiracy nut is one thing, but actively insulting people who spend their lives caring for others got very tired very quick.
However I don’t think for a minute anyone who said they don’t post here anymore largely due to him will suddenly become active here again. With the presence of an ignore button, that doesn’t make any sense to me. They have just decided not to post or to hang out elsewhere.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 28 Aug 2021, 11:59

Minnie Cheddars wrote:
However I don’t think for a minute anyone who said they don’t post here anymore largely due to him will suddenly become active here again. With the presence of an ignore button, that doesn’t make any sense to me. They have just decided not to post or to hang out elsewhere.

I was thinking exactly the same

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 Aug 2021, 14:55

Wow, Jimbo's got his own playground! I'd never seen that. The lad is a bit obsessed isn't he? It's a pity because I used to like his contributions before he'd lost the plot. Don't ban him please. It might kill him.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Aug 2021, 18:35

Minnie Cheddars wrote: I don’t think for a minute anyone who said they don’t post here anymore largely due to him will suddenly become active here again. With the presence of an ignore button, that doesn’t make any sense to me. They have just decided not to post or to hang out elsewhere.

Facebook, mostly. :)

Yeah, just for the record (gawd, I say this a lot, don't I? :oops: ) I'm not under any illusions that we'll get right back to previous glory because we've ditched one nuisance. He wasn't the only one, just the most prolific, and the one that nobody wanted to go out on a limb to defend. And dwindling posting on these type of boards in general seems to me to be a theme everywhere, sadly.

mudshark wrote:Wow, Jimbo's got his own playground! I'd never seen that. The lad is a bit obsessed isn't he? It's a pity because I used to like his contributions before he'd lost the plot. Don't ban him please. It might kill him.

Too late, I'm afraid. Hopefully you're joking at least somewhat, but even if I were legitimately worried that the poor guy has no other outlets for spreading his deluded worldview (which is surely not the case; they're everywhere) his mental health would still not be my or our responsibility.

I do feel for his wife, though. She'll probably help him find another place just so he'll leave her alone.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 Aug 2021, 20:27

Hatz, yes I find misinformation and conspiracy-stuff horrible and potentially dangerous but not in the BCB environment, which reaches a minimal micropercentage of internet users, and I think roughly 0% of that incredibly small amount of users has any support for his theories. I mean, nobody's banned Herschel Walker yet from facebook, twitter etc., and he's a lot more dangerous than that old coot in Tokyo. But actually, either way I don't really care much. Freedom of expression has always been and will always be one of my priorities (and that has a to to do with the fact that for 20 years I had to be very careful what I said when living in Singapore), but the realization that more and more people don't seem to be able to think for themselves anymore makes me wonder sometimes... The supreme being should let us all go back to the 70s and make us promise we won't fuck it up again.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Aug 2021, 21:38

mudshark wrote:Hatz, yes I find misinformation and conspiracy-stuff horrible and potentially dangerous but not in the BCB environment, which reaches a minimal micropercentage of internet users, and I think roughly 0% of that incredibly small amount of users has any support for his theories. I mean, nobody's banned Herschel Walker yet from facebook, twitter etc., and he's a lot more dangerous than that old coot in Tokyo. But actually, either way I don't really care much. Freedom of expression has always been and will always be one of my priorities (and that has a to to do with the fact that for 20 years I had to be very careful what I said when living in Singapore), but the realization that more and more people don't seem to be able to think for themselves anymore makes me wonder sometimes... The supreme being should let us all go back to the 70s and make us promise we won't fuck it up again.

What forums have complete freedom of expression? None. Why are we expecting BCB to operate in a way that nowhere else does?

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 29 Aug 2021, 15:50

I think there's so much common sense here that censorship, banning etc. is not required. Simple. But maybe I wrong. It's not so important.
What is important: millions of contaminated Moderna vaccines in Japan. I wonder what Jimbo has to say about that.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 30 Aug 2021, 11:58

My son got a tattoo yesterday. It's three Japanese characters and he refuses to tell us what they mean.

If only I know someone who could help me with this ...
Bugger off.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 18 Oct 2021, 00:08

Rorschach wrote:My son got a tattoo yesterday. It's three Japanese characters and he refuses to tell us what they mean.

Ahem...
the Eagles suck.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 18 Oct 2021, 00:17

So he's gone? Fine by me. Very fine by me.
the Eagles suck.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 18 Oct 2021, 12:54

Matty Red Sox wrote:
Rorschach wrote:My son got a tattoo yesterday. It's three Japanese characters and he refuses to tell us what they mean.

Ahem...

Hah! Of course. I'd forgotten.

Of course, I was really only posting that as a joke. In fact, I've managed to track it down; took me for bloody ever, but it means 'flow'.
All those lines and fancy squiggles and that's it!!?

流れる
Bugger off.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 18 Oct 2021, 14:02

Rorschach wrote:
Matty Red Sox wrote:

Ahem...

Hah! Of course. I'd forgotten.

Of course, I was really only posting that as a joke. In fact, I've managed to track it down; took me for bloody ever, but it means 'flow'.
All those lines and fancy squiggles and that's it!!?

流れる

ANd there's very little "flow" to the lines either, is there.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Oct 2021, 19:04

I’ve translated it to Mandarin - it looks better

流动的

Get your son to change it

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 18 Oct 2021, 22:48

The bar/red light district of Hiroshima was 流川 which means running/flowing stream (Nagarekawa)... if you look at any of my old DJ posters, its on them... the last two characters really aren't necessary if he wants it to look cool.
the Eagles suck.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 18 Oct 2021, 22:49

Plus that assclown was pretty proud of the fact that he couldn't speak/read Japanese.
the Eagles suck.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 19 Oct 2021, 10:46

Matty Red Sox wrote:The bar/red light district of Hiroshima was 流川 which means running/flowing stream (Nagarekawa)... if you look at any of my old DJ posters, its on them... the last two characters really aren't necessary if he wants it to look cool.

In fact, if the last two characters hadn't been there I may never have been able to track it down. I know nothing of Japanese but I'd worked out that those two characters seemed to have a largely grammatical function and were relatively common. Looking for them narrowed down my search quite a lot.
I'm not going to tell him that those characters are redundant. That really wouldn't go down well.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Oct 2021, 12:14

The Japanese have katakana, hiragana, and kanji - and happily mix them all. Kanji are the original Chinese characters, same meaning, but read differently in Japanese. Katakana are the phonetic and syllabic characters that they use to write foreign loan words and names. I quickly found out how to read "Santana" in katakana for when I went shopping. Hiragana have a more grammatical function, as Rorschach says.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 20 Oct 2021, 00:21

GoogaMooga wrote:The Japanese have katakana, hiragana, and kanji - and happily mix them all. Kanji are the original Chinese characters, same meaning, but read differently in Japanese. Katakana are the phonetic and syllabic characters that they use to write foreign loan words and names. I quickly found out how to read "Santana" in katakana for when I went shopping. Hiragana have a more grammatical function, as Rorschach says.

No... you've got some correct pieces in there... but most of what you've said is incorrect. Case in point, my daughter's name is in hiragana, it is not a grammatical function... to say that hiragana is used for grammatical function only is completely wrong. When coupled to a verb, it might, but just as often, it does not. Katakana also has several other functions that you have missed.And kanji can read exactly the same as Chinese very often, but have entirely different readings... most have at least two, and many have as many as a half dozen or more.
the Eagles suck.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 20 Oct 2021, 06:53

Matty Red Sox wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:The Japanese have katakana, hiragana, and kanji - and happily mix them all. Kanji are the original Chinese characters, same meaning, but read differently in Japanese. Katakana are the phonetic and syllabic characters that they use to write foreign loan words and names. I quickly found out how to read "Santana" in katakana for when I went shopping. Hiragana have a more grammatical function, as Rorschach says.

No... you've got some correct pieces in there... but most of what you've said is incorrect. Case in point, my daughter's name is in hiragana, it is not a grammatical function... to say that hiragana is used for grammatical function only is completely wrong. When coupled to a verb, it might, but just as often, it does not. Katakana also has several other functions that you have missed.And kanji can read exactly the same as Chinese very often, but have entirely different readings... most have at least two, and many have as many as a half dozen or more.

There simply aren't enough hours in the day or years in a life. I find this fascinating and would love to find out more but there isn't enough time for this and everything else.
While I was searching for those characters I became aware of how completely different this way of writing is from the phonetic style we use, in subtle ways I'd never thought about. Maybe when I retire I'll find the time to look into it.
Bugger off.

Return to “Nextdoorland”