Former President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby souphound » 26 Nov 2020, 00:26

Pardon my ignorance, but a pardon does not (directly) affect civil litigation (other than the presumption that a criminal conviction would aid, not hinder related civil lit.), does it?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 26 Nov 2020, 04:46

souphound wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but a pardon does not (directly) affect civil litigation (other than the presumption that a criminal conviction would aid, not hinder related civil lit.), does it?

That’s right.

It also doesn’t reach state criminal prosecutions, which is why the Manhattan DA’s investigations are important.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 10 Dec 2020, 12:34

:lol:

One for the Fall fans.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Dec 2020, 14:17

I can’t remember where I wrote it on here but the day after Trump was elected My Dad had a stroke. It’s a miracle to me he didn’t keep on having them over the next four years. I know I felt on the brink of several!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Dec 2020, 18:02

I am reading less a out him these days and I let my WAPO subscription end because I didn’t feel a need to read two East Coast papers anymore. It was good for these last few years for the political coverage but I don’t feel a need to obsess over it now. It’s all for the better imo, at least for me.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 11 Dec 2020, 19:06

lately, i've been gettin lost in legal twitter. it's a blast to see lawyers who have brains translate and dismantle all the trumpian lawsuits.

regarding the texas thing, one of the lawyers i read went through the language and summed up this way:

The argument here is that Texas' claim that other states' election procedures violated the constitution wasn't "ripe" until Texas was harmed by that violation, so Texas had to wait until after the election.

In other words, Texas is EXPRESSLY telling the Supreme Court that "the harm to us wasn't other states 'breaching the contract' by not following the Constitution. We were only harmed when they picked a candidate we don't like."

"Your Honors, they voted for Biden and we want Trump" is NOT a fucking basis for litigation, you neoconfederate treasonweasels.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Dec 2020, 20:04

kath wrote:lately, i've been gettin lost in legal twitter. it's a blast to see lawyers who have brains translate and dismantle all the trumpian lawsuits.

That’s about half of my Twitter feed. Lots of good stuff there.

Pennsylvania’s response is worth reading. I suppose it’s a little dense for non-lawyers, but not at all impossible.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/ ... .FINAL.pdf
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Dec 2020, 20:33

Dr. Baron wrote:
kath wrote:lately, i've been gettin lost in legal twitter. it's a blast to see lawyers who have brains translate and dismantle all the trumpian lawsuits.

Pennsylvania’s response is worth reading. I suppose it’s a little dense for non-lawyers, but not at all impossible.

The prelim tells you about all you need to know unless you like getting into the weeds. Thanks for posting. I will go back and read more later.

To bring back the memory of Obvious Alf, Trump is just desperate and trying anything he can. I hope some of his lawyers do end up paying for their ludicrous attempts of dismantling our democracy.
Last edited by Six String on 11 Dec 2020, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

kath

Postby kath » 11 Dec 2020, 20:36

Dr. Baron wrote:

i've read it. talk about a take-down. ooof. i mean, i don't understand every single bit of it, but i understand most of it. the reason i understand most of it? i've gotten lost in legal twitter. mwhaha. i've been getting lots of help from sharp, witty folk.

ya know, when i was a grad student, law schools actively courted us (english majors, masters/er..mistresses? never mind). i guess cuz we love debate, argument, interpreting text, precedent in text, all that jazz. we can handle footnotes. ahem. some of us gluttons for punishment even took latin. but i wasn't interested in law then.

now? i'm fascinated by it. i am learning all manner of stuff, even here, in my dotage. i used to have zero clue about what an amicus brief was... or laches... or standing... or any of it.

yes, we *are* dealing with "neoconfederate treasonweasels" behind these suits, which sucks, and i don't mean to downplay it. all those bastards need keelhauled. a radical concept, i know. but the whole legal education i'm receiving from all this is... well... cool. i'm enjoying it. yes, i am. may as well get some enjoyment and value from this crap.

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Dec 2020, 20:40

Yes, much like Trump got me more interested in the minutiae of government I have become a little interested in the law. Treasonweasels, i like that. :D
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

kath

Postby kath » 11 Dec 2020, 20:46

Six String wrote:Yes, much like Trump got me more interested in the minutiae of government I have become a little interested in the law. Treasonweasels, i like that. :D

that line comes from akiva cohen on twitter. i have a whole slew of twitter lawyers i read now. mwhaha. baron's list is undoubtedly more legit, but i can list mine later, if anyone's interested.

synch listen approaching now, though. must find a beverage and sound check and whatnot.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Dec 2020, 20:49

kath wrote:ya know, when i was a grad student, law schools actively courted us (english majors, masters/er..mistresses? never mind). i guess cuz we love debate, argument, interpreting text, precedent in text, all that jazz. we can handle footnotes. ahem. some of us gluttons for punishment even took latin. but i wasn't interested in law then.

now? i'm fascinated by it. i am learning all manner of stuff, even here, in my dotage. i used to have zero clue about what an amicus brief was... or laches... or standing... or any of it.

yes, we *are* dealing with "neoconfederate treasonweasels" behind these suits, which sucks, and i don't mean to downplay it. all those bastards need keelhauled. a radical concept, i know. but the whole legal education i'm receiving from all this is... well... cool. i'm enjoying it. yes, i am. may as well get some enjoyment and value from this crap.

Excellent! I mean, it's all just words. The better you are with words, the easier time you'll have. Law school is great fun if you are of the right mindset, and an education in how our society works (or doesn't). But it warps your brain and reading nothing but appellate opinions for three intensive years will fuck up your writing, at the very least.

I went to law school right after Bush v. Gore and the Florida litigation and I think I was already prepped to do it then, but I remember going to the store every morning to pick up the NYT, and reading it cover to cover, rapt, thinking that I should be in Florida fighting. I feel that way this year, but I can't get involved, alas. The last four years have presented, in Judge Bork's words, a "feast" of high level legal issues to chew on.

FWIW, I deal with laches almost every day. It's a hot button issue in my world. :lol:

kath

Postby kath » 11 Dec 2020, 22:20

Dr. Baron wrote:Excellent! I mean, it's all just words. The better you are with words, the easier time you'll have. Law school is great fun if you are of the right mindset, and an education in how our society works (or doesn't). But it warps your brain and reading nothing but appellate opinions for three intensive years will fuck up your writing, at the very least.

just for the record, reading "academic" writing for years can fucque ya up, too. mwhaha. (mind ya, i may've swung to the other extreme, but it makes me happy to be fucqued up, from the opposite side.)

i still will never forget when i was writing my thesis for the masters, and i came across one word in a scholarly journal article about paradise lost. that one word was disemparadisement.

i sat there staring at it for some time, knowing in my soul of souls, right then and there, that it was a harbinger of doom for my academic career. mwhahaha.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Dec 2020, 23:44

SCOTUS tossed the lawsuit, as predicted by everyone. It would’ve been nice if they could’ve issued a written order ripping it apart (as suggested by Tom Goldstein on SCOTUSblog), but I’m not sure they could agree on enough to get that done in a hurry.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 12 Dec 2020, 14:29

Strange that Trump is trying to get all these executions done before he leaves office.

He’s some kind of nut, that’s for sure.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 12 Dec 2020, 15:01

“The cruelty is the point.”

kath

Postby kath » 13 Dec 2020, 23:24

soundchaser wrote:Strange that Trump is trying to get all these executions done before he leaves office.

He’s some kind of nut, that’s for sure.

Dr. Baron wrote:“The cruelty is the point.”

indeed it is. that's why he's bringing back firing squads and the electric chair. a lame duck president.

there just aren't enough words for how fucquin sick it is.

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Dec 2020, 21:51

Does anyone think Pence will refuse to show up to count the votes and leave Grassley to do the deed? It came up in an opinion piece in the NYT and it made me wonder if he would sink that low or be that afraid of Trump.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Dec 2020, 21:56

Unless I've missed something (not at all impossible), Pence has been notably quiet re: the election fraud claims.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Dec 2020, 04:01

Although the White House and Twitter have denied it, a Dutch "cybersecurity researcher" apparently hacked Drumpf's Twitter account by guessing his password: “maga2020!"

He claims that he did the same thing six years ago by guessing "yourefired".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/12/17/dutch-trump-twitter-password-hack/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F2da8753%2F5fdb8bb69d2fda0efb8b74d7%2F59729af9ade4e21a84808e30%2F31%2F71%2F5fdb8bb69d2fda0efb8b74d7

Return to “Nextdoorland”