Former President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Charlie O.

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Jul 2020, 23:28

Dr. Baron wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:@SethAbramson has put forth a rather baroque theory on Twitter about the real endgame, which (in short) is to sow enough trouble to actually discourage Republicans from voting to such an extent that his loss is so lopsided that the validity of the election is called into question, resulting in chaos.

:lol: I'm willing to let him try that one.

I have slightly more faith in SCOTUS to shut anything down than Abramson, and i doubt Trump has the strategic capacity to think in the 3D chess that the theory sort of requires, but the thread is pretty chilling.

https://twitter.com/sethabramson/status ... 28866?s=21

Yeah, you're right - that is scary. I wouldn't say it's likely, but... then again, this whole administration has been anything but likely.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 31 Jul 2020, 03:29

Whatever, some people never accepted Obama got into office the entire 8 year he was there. They were probably threatening to stop that from happening. Nope. Bunch of whiny little bitches they are.

I imagine there will be some nasty tweets as he stays up all night waiting for the movers.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 31 Jul 2020, 18:32

Boy was I surprised last when, in conversation with a good (francophone) friend that she really likes Trump. Now, her English is very poor, so I'm sure his diatribes and such mean little to her. In Canada, she is very much a Liberal.

What can she possibly like about about the stain? She wouldn't expand on it.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

`

Postby ` » 31 Jul 2020, 19:28

bobzilla77 wrote:
I imagine there will be some nasty tweets as he stays up all night waiting for the movers.

Doubt he’ll need a removal van where he’s going

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Jul 2020, 21:45

Sam Stone wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:

You don’t really think he’ll get banged up do you? (God I hope he does.)

`

Postby ` » 01 Aug 2020, 09:59

Lord Rother wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:

You don’t really think he’ll get banged up do you? (God I hope he does.)

One can only live in hope!

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 09 Aug 2020, 21:09

Apparently the White House are trying to find out what it takes to add a face to Mount Rushmore....

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 19 Aug 2020, 04:21

In the I don't hate Trump department ...

Obama the Committed Warlord against Trump the Accidental Peacemaker

U.S. military fatalities during the Obama term were 1,912. Trump’s body count to date is only 123. ... Trump bumbling in the foreign policy darkness randomly added up to the ... diplomatic equivalent of all those monkeys pecking away at a million typewriters and accidentally reproducing Hamlet. Whatever helps you sleep at night. But the tally, in trillions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of human lives saved, is unambiguous and good.

https://wemeantwell.com/blog/
Question authority.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 19 Aug 2020, 12:27

Whats Trumps body count as a result of domestic policy? (or lack of)

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 12 Sep 2020, 03:23

From Matt Taibbi, secret far right winger, racist, Trump supportin' liberal:

America this week is obsessing about conversations between Donald Trump and Washington Post legend Bob Woodward. It’s a scoop, but a crazier story is being buried.

Beginning on September 1, tapes were released of conversations between former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen and top CNN figures, including Chris Cuomo and president Jeff Zucker. The conversations between Zucker and Cohen especially go a long way toward explaining how Donald Trump became president. We see clearly how Zucker, famed now as a supposed stalwart force of anti-Trumpism, actually encouraged him during the 2016 campaign, to the point where he offered Trump help on how to succeed in a CNN-sponsored debate.

Wha :o
Question authority.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 19 Sep 2020, 19:11

Dr. Baron wrote:
LeBaron wrote:And in the meantime, the President stacks the federal courts with judges far more radical than Kennedy and Roberts, so if and when all of the liberals wet dreams of majority governance come true, the federal courts will say, "not so fast." When the time comes to strike down universal healthcare or to overturn Roe v. Wade or ditch the exclusionary rule or declare the EPA unconstitutional, they won't strike out.

Even the Failing NYT says so!

NYT wrote:The expected appeals court confirmation on Tuesday of Britt C. Grant, 40, a Georgia Supreme Court justice who was once a clerk for Judge Kavanaugh, would be Mr. Trump’s 24th circuit court appointment — more than any other president had secured at this point in his presidency since the creation of the regional circuit court system in 1891, according to an analysis of judicial records by The New York Times. The Senate did not confirm President Barack Obama’s 24th nominee to the regional circuit courts until the fourth year of his presidency.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/us/p ... udges.html

Unless there is a miracle in the Senate or future constitutional amendments . . . Goodbye Green New Deal. Goodbye Obamacare (and socialized medicine). Goodbye reproductive rights. Goodbye to the Exclusionary Rule. Goodbye to class action lawsuits against major corporations. Goodbye to campaign finance reform. Hello to an expansion of the 2nd Amendment (goodbye, gun regulations). Welcome to the new Lochner Era.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 21 Sep 2020, 10:38

I'm aware that there is a precedent (that was completely abused against Obama) not to elect someone to the supreme court close to an election - but I haven't seen coverage of what that means in practice...what has been the specific standard set here? As much as I would hate for RBG to be replaced by a conservative, and as much as the GOP is horrifically hypocritical in pushing for one when they denied Obama his - it ultimately seems to me that they are within their rights to do this, and that ultimately Obama/RBG really messed up by not replacing her when they could. The Republicans i'm pretty sure would have done so if the tables were turned.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 21 Sep 2020, 12:35

Geezee wrote:I'm aware that there is a precedent (that was completely abused against Obama) not to elect someone to the supreme court close to an election - but I haven't seen coverage of what that means in practice...what has been the specific standard set here? As much as I would hate for RBG to be replaced by a conservative, and as much as the GOP is horrifically hypocritical in pushing for one when they denied Obama his - it ultimately seems to me that they are within their rights to do this, and that ultimately Obama/RBG really messed up by not replacing her when they could. The Republicans i'm pretty sure would have done so if the tables were turned.

The precedent is informal, it isn’t binding in any enforceable way, it’s just the rationale they came up with to not take any action on Obama’s last nominee (who was very much a centrist pick). It’s not an official Senate rule. They were within their rights to do that, insofar as there was no way to force them to do anything. But it was pretty plainly a deeply cynical move, dripping with bad faith. Now, of course, they are doubling down and moving the goalposts. They are, again, within their rights to confirm someone but it is baldly hypocritical. I have always been against tinkering with the Supreme Court, but it would be hard to deny the simple
justice of a democratic congress and president retaliating with a move to add seats to the court (or what have you).
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 21 Sep 2020, 12:49

Dr. Baron wrote:
Geezee wrote:I'm aware that there is a precedent (that was completely abused against Obama) not to elect someone to the supreme court close to an election - but I haven't seen coverage of what that means in practice...what has been the specific standard set here? As much as I would hate for RBG to be replaced by a conservative, and as much as the GOP is horrifically hypocritical in pushing for one when they denied Obama his - it ultimately seems to me that they are within their rights to do this, and that ultimately Obama/RBG really messed up by not replacing her when they could. The Republicans i'm pretty sure would have done so if the tables were turned.

The precedent is informal, it isn’t binding in any enforceable way, it’s just the rationale they came up with to not take any action on Obama’s last nominee (who was very much a centrist pick). It’s not an official Senate rule. They were within their rights to do that, insofar as there was no way to force them to do anything. But it was pretty plainly a deeply cynical move, dripping with bad faith. Now, of course, they are doubling down and moving the goalposts. They are, again, within their rights to confirm someone but it is baldly hypocritical. I have always been against tinkering with the Supreme Court, but it would be hard to deny the simple
justice of a democratic congress and president retaliating with a move to add seats to the court (or what have you).

ya know who mcconnell and repub senators have indicated to trump they wanna push through?

amy coney barrett.

(bangs head against laptop.)

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 21 Sep 2020, 13:00

Yes, they are starting to treat Chief Justice Roberts as another Justice Souter-style fake conservative disappointment. Which is totally bananas.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 21 Sep 2020, 15:32

Dr. Baron wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. The timing really couldn't have been uglier - if it had been a little bit later, Trump wouldn't have had the time to ram it through. If it had happened a little bit earlier, the Democrats wouldn't have had as much grievance (while still of course smarting from Garrick).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 21 Sep 2020, 16:04

Justice Scalia died February 13, 2016. The Garland nomination was announced on March 16, 2016. He could have been confirmed by the end of the spring.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 Sep 2020, 15:10

Romney is siding with McConnell, so here we go . . .

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 22 Sep 2020, 16:43

One wonders how these people live with themselves. Romney's justification is complete nonsense.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 Sep 2020, 16:57

Geezee wrote:One wonders how these people live with themselves. Romney's justification is complete nonsense.

As I see it, there are two main reasons that GOP Senators have stuck with Trump (I truly suspect most of them wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire). The first is that he's so popular with the Republican base, they would probably lose a re-election if they bucked him in any meaningful way. The second is control of the Supreme Court (and filling the federal judiciary with right wing lifetime appointments). So now it's within reach. And, consequently, even if the American right wing fades into electoral oblivion, a generation of judges stand ready to invalidate progressive legislation, trim back constitutional rights for women, minority communities, and the criminally accused, and dismantle the administrative/regulatory state.

Return to “Nextdoorland”