MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Rayge

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Rayge » 25 Jul 2021, 12:33

“Maxwell” wrote:I took a quick look at the U.K. news to see that ‘lockdown protestors’ were calling for nurses and doctors to be hung, which was nice.

:o Where did you see that?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Jul 2021, 12:45

Rayge wrote:
“Maxwell” wrote:I took a quick look at the U.K. news to see that ‘lockdown protestors’ were calling for nurses and doctors to be hung, which was nice.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.lbc.co ... hreatened/
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 26 Jul 2021, 16:52

45 years ago my Dad died. Still missing him.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Jul 2021, 18:04

In the run -up to going back to the UK for my sister's wedding in a few weeks, we've been nervously watching the news every five bloody minutes for changes in policy. As it stood, we were going to arrive and have 10 days quarantine (at my parents) before we could be let loose into the Yorkshire streets. We were going to try and aim for the five day (and more expensive) get out of quarantine early clause, so that was going to be some improvement. A few days ago, the CDC advised Americans against traveling to the UK due to rising cases and I was freaking the fuck out. Then, after having Baron peel me off the ceiling, he reminded me that they were recommendations and not enforceable. THEN there was an article - just a couple of days ago- about how the UK were planning on allowing vaccinated UK citizens arriving from the US back into the UK without quarantine (so that would be me, but Baron is not a UK citizen) - so I could gad in Sainsburys buying all the Frazzles while he would stay at home and accompany my Dad yelling at the BOURGEOIS BASTARDS on Grand Designs. This was not ideal, at least not for Baron's constitution, but an improvement. But, in order for me to take part in that I would have my US vaccine registered with my NHS account and my GP (which I don't have anymore.) So I spent all yesterday looking up my old chemist to find an email address for my old GP to try and find out how I could register my vaccination.

THEN - today - the UK announces that vaccinated people from the US and EU can come, without quarantine. This may be implemented literally the day before we fly, so we don't have to spend hundreds of pounds on testing when we get there. It means- if it works- that we are going to be able to go back to the UK in a meaningful way. To say I am beside myself is an understatement. I can't even begin to talk about it cos I'm choking up here at my desk. Best of all, I've just booked my hotel for the night before I fly back to the US- right next to my favourite chippy - so my last supper is gonna be a chip butty the size of a tuba!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Jul 2021, 18:59

Excellent, Anna!

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Jul 2021, 19:43

Wow, that’s some story Anna. I’m glad it turned out so well. Hope it holds.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 28 Jul 2021, 20:24

“Maxwell” wrote:THEN - today - the UK announces that vaccinated people from the US and EU can come, without quarantine. This may be implemented literally the day before we fly, so we don't have to spend hundreds of pounds on testing when we get there. It means- if it works- that we are going to be able to go back to the UK in a meaningful way. To say I am beside myself is an understatement. I can't even begin to talk about it cos I'm choking up here at my desk. Best of all, I've just booked my hotel for the night before I fly back to the US- right next to my favourite chippy - so my last supper is gonna be a chip butty the size of a tuba!

Excellent turn of events. However, I just read on the Beebs ( https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57999362 ) that;

Travellers will still take a pre-departure test, and a PCR test on or before day two after arrival

Still, way better than a quarantine in my books. Hope it all works out.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Jul 2021, 20:28

That’s right, but insurance will cover the first test in the States. The prices we saw on tests in the UK for people quarantining were between £100-£200 and you had to go through a specific procedure of mailing in the results and hewing to specific guidelines etc.

The funny thing is that the quarantine requirements seemed pretty heavy handed given the pandemic situation in the States for the past few months, but now as the delta variant is finally ripping through the more unvaccinated areas of the country, it makes more sense, just as they are getting rid of it!

Of course, the US isn’t letting anyone in, so there isn’t much room for complaining.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 28 Jul 2021, 21:35

der Freiherr wrote:That’s right, but insurance will cover the first test in the States. The prices we saw on tests in the UK for people quarantining were between £100-£200 and you had to go through a specific procedure of mailing in the results and hewing to specific guidelines etc.

The funny thing is that the quarantine requirements seemed pretty heavy handed given the pandemic situation in the States for the past few months, but now as the delta variant is finally ripping through the more unvaccinated areas of the country, it makes more sense, just as they are getting rid of it!

Of course, the US isn’t letting anyone in, so there isn’t much room for complaining.

Cool. And that's an interesting point about the US not letting anybody in. Canada has just re-opened the land border to the US for non-essentials making making local merchant a bit happy. But the US land border remains closed to us for the time being, rattling lots of vacationers. My boss (a lawyer :D ) is not happy because she and her husband (also a lawyer :D :D) have a secondary place on Lake Champlain in Vermont, but they haven't been able to go see the state of the place for eons now. It's only a 45 minute drive from here to their place. Oh well. I, on the other hand, do not have this problem. :)

But the air border has been open for a while as I understand. Who knows.

I am a homesteader and haven't been off our little island (Montreal is an island city on the St-Lawrence for those unfamiliar) in a few years now. I have no reason to.

But hey, I'm off to the pub now, even if I don't drink anymore. I gotta see my peeps, just like everybody else, right? :lol:
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Jul 2021, 19:00

I will fight the Grim Reaper to the death if they don’t keep their hands off my beloved Bob Odenkirk!!!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Jul 2021, 01:20

Medical malpractice trials resumed this week in Texas - on Zoom, so quite a new experience for everyone involved. Especially the jury, one of whom had to be reprimanded for attempting to furtively iron their laundry during trial.

Dr Markus wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 30 Jul 2021, 01:47

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Medical malpractice trials resumed this week in Texas - on Zoom, so quite a new experience for everyone involved. Especially the jury, one of whom had to be reprimanded for attempting to furtively iron their laundry during trial.

:shock: Wow! :shock:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Jul 2021, 01:50

Yep!

Dr Markus wrote:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Jul 2021, 02:42

der Freiherr wrote:Of course, the US isn’t letting anyone in, so there isn’t much room for complaining.

Y'all are sure you'll be allowed back?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Jul 2021, 02:50

Charlie O. wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:Of course, the US isn’t letting anyone in, so there isn’t much room for complaining.

We’re citizens, man!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Jul 2021, 02:53

der Freiherr wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:

We’re citizens, man!

I seem to remember stories from the early months of the pandemic of Americans getting stranded in other countries...

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Jul 2021, 02:53

Lookie-loos who want to watch Texas Courts operating on zoom during central standard business hours are spoiled for choice:

http://streams.txcourts.gov/

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Jul 2021, 02:54

Charlie O. wrote:I seem to remember stories from the early months of the pandemic of Americans getting stranded in other countries...

I'd rather be stuck in the UK than here, except we've got cats to take care of.

But really, I don't think they can refuse entry to citizens. They can cancel flights, of course.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 30 Jul 2021, 11:40

Rayge wrote:

hanged.
You don't like me...do you?

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 10 Aug 2021, 13:58

I'm going in to the office for a few hours this morning. It's been well over a year, nearly a year and a half actually. I need to pick up any personal stuff as when we re-open it'll be to a non-dedicated environment, with no spot of your won. A bit sad.

Looking forward to getting back home and taking my socks off. It'll be another hot muggy one today.

Return to “Nextdoorland”