MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby souphound » 06 Jul 2021, 13:44

Six String wrote:My neighborhood sounds like a war zone with all the fireworks, some obviously illegal. I had to close my windows and turn on the a/c to filter out the noise. Why do we celebrate with bombs? In this day and age we ought to be over that shit. :x

Sadly, an up-and-coming hockey goalie, Latvian Matiss Kivlenieks, 24, has died in Ohio after an "errant" blast. Shameful.

https://apnews.com/article/columbus-blue-jackets-matiss-kivlenieks-hockey-nhl-sports-032b8580cdc3cd53c4a950886714c6d2
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Jul 2021, 16:39

Yesterday it topped out around 106 F and around 5 p.m. a hummingbird came to the feeder and tried feeding but rejected four different spouts before flying away. I can only assume it was because the nectar was too hot to drink. The feeder is in the shade most of the day but around 4 p.m. it gets some direct sun for close to an hour and at our temp was probably unnaturally hot. It’s supposed to be 110 F today, the hottest of the weekend. After Monday t will cool down into the 90s. :shock:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 12 Jul 2021, 17:48

An interesting and emotional weekend.

I had a hospital appointmet Saturday which took me back to Shoreham-By+Sea, the town of my birth. Appointment was routine eye check up following iniital referral from optician. Last time everything was fine apart from field of vision test (the one where you click when you see the flashing light) whch was fine apart from the ones at the top which I missed due to droopy eyelids so they wanted to repeat with eyelids taped up and this time round all was fine.

That's not the story though.

I have one cousin on my Dad's side who.is 7 or 8 years older than me. I assumed he was living in the same house in Shoreham which my grandparents lived in all their married life, and then my uncle (Dads brother) and aunt. We'd lost touch and I'd only seen him once in last 40 years pr so at my uncle#s funeral some 10-15 years ago. So as I was "in town" decided it was time to catch up, albeit with some trepidation, given that I didn't even know if he was alive still ,so half expected a stranger to open the door.

So, once we got talking, it seems that there must be somethng in genetics, we are so alike (both an only child for one thing). INitially scanned the bookshelves and found loads of things I own, Gore Vidal essays, just about everything by James Ellroy etc then on to music and it seems he's a massive fan of Steely Dan and Boz Scaggs, and I mean really big Boz fan. I thought it was just me Yves and Frank.

Anyway the emotinal bit, was when I noticed some pictures on the wall including one of his parents on their wedding day which I had seen before, so asked if he had any more old famiy photos. Seems he'd scanned loads and uploaded to cloud storage, so handed me the laptop to flip through and two photos in particular just knocked me for six.

First off a picture of my cousin riding a tricycle. THe thing is when he outgrew it it came to me. My dad probably couldn't afford a new bike so he was going to givre me the next best thing and spent hours and hours clearing all muck and grease, polishing chrome, rubbing down and repainting a new colour (fire engine red) which was all no doubt going to be worth it when he saw my little face light up on my birthday. And what did I say - Yes it's Roy's old bike. I saw it hanging up in the shed. All these years later that unintentional hurt still virtually brings me to tears.

Swcond photo, was I think from uncle and aunt's wedding day again and there's my dad, in a photo I've never seen and definitely the youngest picture of him (probably 19, 20 at most) He's in service uniform. I knew he was an aircraft mecahnic in Fleet AIr Arm, so never really envisaged what uniform he wore. That is a branch of the Navy of course and there he is in full sailor suit.

If all TLDR then no sweat, but things I felt the need to share. I guess Minnie more than others will understand folllowing her recent posts of family reconnections.
We're way past rhubarb

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Jul 2021, 18:34

Great Post, Fishy
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 12 Jul 2021, 19:39

That's wonderful, Mr. Fish.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 12 Jul 2021, 20:09

Don't beat yourself up about the bike x
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 12 Jul 2021, 20:39

very brave just to knock on the door. Sounds like it was an interesting day. The whole bike thing is a real kick in the pants though. We are so unforgiving of the things we do and say when we are children. It isn't until we are adults that we understand what goes in to raising a child. As Carol says, don't beat yourself up, although I do know exactly how you feel.
You don't like me...do you?

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 12 Jul 2021, 21:24

Great story Mr. Fish.

Did you and your dad at that age look anything similar? I know my present day friends are flabbergasted when they see a pic of my father on his wedding day. He looks exactly like I did about 10-20 years ago. So, I looked like him-at-23 when I was about 40-50. Guessing he looked older than his actual age and me younger.

About the bike, there are things from the past that we no longer can do anything about now. Best to simply learn from them. By sharing, the lesson is there for others to learn from it too. I know I took it in.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Jul 2021, 01:07

What they said. I'm sure young Master Fish made up for that one snub in a million different little ways without ever knowing it.

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Jul 2021, 17:31

Charlie O. wrote:What they said. I'm sure young Master Fish made up for that one snub in a million different little ways without ever knowing it.

Indeed! Paul is a great guy.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 13 Jul 2021, 18:09

Great story Paul!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jul 2021, 03:05

Friends over the road with a huge walk in chicken coop have gone on vacation and I'm helping feed and look after their chickens. This evening I went to put them to bed and the hawk that lives in the tree next to the coop managed to fly in and then be unable to find a way out. I arrive, with half the chickens running around the outside of the coop and half hiding in their beds. Mr. Hawk is squawking and squealing and flying from wall to wall, completely missing the wide open door. After half an hour of unsuccessful hawk wrangling, during which time I got bitten by every mosquito in Austin and got smeared in chicken shit, I called the neighbours who all came round to help. We all stood at four corners of the coop and used a combination of persuasion and gentle poking with a big stick to eventually get it to fly off. Then I had to pursue the chickens, thrilled with their unusually late night liberty, and carry them under my arms and put them to bed.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jul 2021, 03:07

Apart from all that, we've just had a really good city break in Chicago for a few days. Most pleasant - great bars, great food, some art, visiting friends (including a grand old breakfast with Jon San Juan) an architectural boat tour and a very disappointing game of football.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jul 2021, 03:10

Paul - that’s an incredible story. I’ll write more when I’m not smeared in chicken excrement.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Jul 2021, 16:51

What a story and told in a way only Minnie can tell it. Coincidently I am going to a friend’s house tomorrow for a jam session who owns a lot of chickens. They were having quite the conversation when I arrived at the house a few weeks ago. Did the chickens thank you for your bravery?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 15 Jul 2021, 18:28

I just took a break from work and took an hour long walk, mostly to get some fresh air. I forgot my sunglasses.

I FORGOT MY SUNGLASSES!

It was so hot (nothing like out West of course, but I'm just not used to it), humid and sunny! I was actually getting dizzy while walking.

I made it.

We wish for this all Winter long, but when it gets here, we wish it would be a little kinder.

Oh well.

Back to work.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jul 2021, 21:34

Six String wrote:What a story and told in a way only Minnie can tell it. Coincidently I am going to a friend’s house tomorrow for a jam session who owns a lot of chickens. They were having quite the conversation when I arrived at the house a few weeks ago. Did the chickens thank you for your bravery?

Well, they laid me 12 eggs!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jul 2021, 06:56

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Six String wrote:What a story and told in a way only Minnie can tell it. Coincidently I am going to a friend’s house tomorrow for a jam session who owns a lot of chickens. They were having quite the conversation when I arrived at the house a few weeks ago. Did the chickens thank you for your bravery?

Well, they laid me 12 eggs!

Good enough imo.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Jul 2021, 15:37

Last night I went to put the chickens to bed and they were all lined up on their perch softly squawking. I stroked each one of them and when I did they all had their own particular sound in different pitches, presenting me with a kind of chicken piano, a bit like Monty Python's infamous mouse and hammer orchestra. Man, it was relaxing! I might take a book into the coop next time and read to them, and then all my ideas about what kind of a middle aged woman I would become will be well on their way to being realised!

Dr Markus wrote:

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 16 Jul 2021, 16:55

Minnie the Minx wrote:Last night I went to put the chickens to bed and they were all lined up on their perch softly squawking. I stroked each one of them and when I did they all had their own particular sound in different pitches, presenting me with a kind of chicken piano, a bit like Monty Python's infamous mouse and hammer orchestra. Man, it was relaxing! I might take a book into the coop next time and read to them, and then all my ideas about what kind of a middle aged woman I would become will be well on their way to being realised!

You need to sing to them, or play them music and see who and what they react best to.
I'm thinking being chickens they would like country music.

Return to “Nextdoorland”