MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 06 Oct 2021, 21:06

Open mic is going well. Last night I got applause while walking up to the stage to perform. :D

I got the heavy stuff and my drums moved into my jam room this weekend and we’ll have the first session on Friday. Things are coming together.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Oct 2021, 17:30

Six String wrote:Open mic is going well. Last night I got applause while walking up to the stage to perform. :D

I got the heavy stuff and my drums moved into my jam room this weekend and we’ll have the first session on Friday. Things are coming together.

:D

You’re making retirement sound ever appealing!!

Talking of live music, we went to see Bob Mould last night. Everyone had to have proof of vaccination or a negative test. I thought a masked show would be weirder than it turned out to be. It was sensational. I don’t know where Bob gets the energy but he turns it on time after time. We had a fucking great night. Really, discounting some tiny shows by friends, that was the first proper show we have been to since the start of the pandemic. I’m glad for Bob to have been the first one!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Oct 2021, 18:01

Minnie Cheddars wrote:
Six String wrote:Open mic is going well. Last night I got applause while walking up to the stage to perform. :D

:D

You’re making retirement sound ever appealing!!

Talking of live music, we went to see Bob Mould last night. Everyone had to have proof of vaccination or a negative test. I thought a masked show would be weirder than it turned out to be. It was sensational. I don’t know where Bob gets the energy but he turns it on time after time. We had a fucking great night. Really, discounting some tiny shows by friends, that was the first proper show we have been to since the start of the pandemic. I’m glad for Bob to have been the first one!

R and I went to our first indoor show a few weeks ago, a local neo-soul band we really like. Same conditions. We danced a few numbers in both sets but not as easy with masks on! It was fine but not really that enthusiastic about wearing masks for a few hours at a time so it will take someone special to get me back to an indoor show again soon.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 Oct 2021, 05:49

First jam session at my new space went well. I decided on a dry run so to speak and just invite a couple of friends to make sure there were no wrinkles.
Ready for the big time.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Flower

Postby Flower » 15 Oct 2021, 17:46

Going to celebrate ....

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... -16th.html

Toronto Feral Cat Coalition: Feral Cat Awareness Day being celebrated October 15th and 16th

Volunteers organize mass trapping and spay clinic on the SNYP mobile for Feral Cat Awareness Day

TORONTO, Oct. 13, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Toronto Feral Cat Coalition is celebrating this year’s Feral Cat Awareness Day with an event at the Feral Cat Recovery Centre to highlight the services Coalition member’s offer to the public to assist with sterilization and care of homeless cats.

Toronto has garnered much attention over the last 10 years for its exemplary model of a community coalition working together with a strategic approach to reduce homeless cat populations and prevent overcrowding in shelters.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 15 Oct 2021, 20:24

Just been targeted by a scammer on Facebook. Had friend request from Sarah Hanouver in Austin. Initial thoughts were probably a frend of MIke and/or Anna. Clicked cofirm and then started investigations and looked suspicious, No mutual firends. Profilr picture was young hot caucasian but all posts were Indian related including many in Indian script.

So chat box appeared and after Hi how are yo doing pleasantries, next post was - I just stumbled upon your amazing profile and I was wondering if you would like us to get acquainted? so I replied (already hearing the alarn bells) - So how exactly did you stumble across me and why "amazing" exactly.

AT this point I did reverse image search on her profile picture which told me all I needed to know - multiple occurrences on same dating site with different user names. Therefater the conversation was pretty short

Her - You seem like a free hearted person you know
Me - And you seem like a scammer you know.

Anyway loks like I've already been defriended.
We're way past rhubarb

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Oct 2021, 20:39

Oh cheers for blowing it! She was gonna spilt the money you sent her with us!

:(

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 15 Oct 2021, 20:59

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Oh cheers for blowing it! She was gonna spilt the money you sent her with us!

:(

I think YOU have been scammed - she was going to share it with me.

Or maybe I have been scammed!!??!!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Oct 2021, 21:04

:o

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Oct 2021, 00:56

I’ve been thinking about finally watching The Sopranos but for one reason or another, I’ve ended up seeing a ton of the murders/ outbursts/ betrayals on YouTube in two minute clips so I think it will probably ruin all the surprises that make the series great. I mean, should I watch it anyway? Seems a bit pointless!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Oct 2021, 16:33

Minnie Cheddars wrote:I’ve been thinking about finally watching The Sopranos but for one reason or another, I’ve ended up seeing a ton of the murders/ outbursts/ betrayals on YouTube in two minute clips so I think it will probably ruin all the surprises that make the series great. I mean, should I watch it anyway? Seems a bit pointless!

You held out longer than me! I didn’t watch the series until it was all over but only a year or so afterwards. I guess it depends on your memory of those details whether it will ruin it for you or not. The show was well done of course so I enjoyed it. Have you seen The Wire?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 16 Oct 2021, 21:26

Today I discovered that The Heights in Houston is actually a pleasant area where one can walk around and do some casual window shopping on actual pavements. I recently got back into vinyl and went to a record store named "Vinyl Edge". Before I went there (it's a 32 mile ride) I E-mailed to make sure it's an actual store. The owner responded that it was. And it was! I have a Thorens TD-166 turntable, but it's from Europe. It was built in 1978 and I bought it fully refurbished in Holland in 2004 for somewhere between 400 and 500 Euros. I took it with me to Houston in the hope it could be converted for use on the US grid, but I never got round to focussing on that. So it's been collecting dust for well over 14 years. I decided to bring it with me in the hope that the store would show some interest. And, lo and behold, they did! So I told them they could have it for free and started to browse. Scored the LP's Northeast Corridor (Steely Dan), Radio Ethiopia (Patti Smith), On the Way to the Peak of Normal (Holger Czukay), Umma Gumma (you know), Mothermania (I hope you know) and Faith by the Cure (for the wife). Total value about $200.00, but when I went up to pay the guy told me we were even. It was such a nice and unexpected gesture. One doesn't experience things like that very often often in the Greater Houston area. I'll be going there a lot more often. Houston finally felt a bit like a hometown. Took 14.5 years. Wow.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Oct 2021, 21:33

mudshark wrote:Today I discovered that The Heights in Houston is actually a pleasant area where one can walk around and do some casual window shopping on actual pavements. I recently got back into vinyl and went to a record store named "Vinyl Edge". Before I went there (it's a 32 mile ride) I E-mailed to make sure it's an actual store. The owner responded that it was. And it was! I have a Thorens TD-166 turntable, but it's from Europe. It was built in 1978 and I bought it fully refurbished in Holland in 2004 for somewhere between 400 and 500 Euros. I took it with me to Houston in the hope it could be converted for use on the US grid, but I never got round to focussing on that. So it's been collecting dust for well over 14 years. I decided to bring it with me in the hope that the store would show some interest. And, lo and behold, they did! So I told them they could have it for free and started to browse. Scored the LP's Northeast Corridor (Steely Dan), Radio Ethiopia (Patti Smith), On the Way to the Peak of Normal (Holger Czukay), Umma Gumma (you know), Mothermania (I hope you know) and Faith by the Cure (for the wife). Total value about $200.00, but when I went up to pay the guy told me we were even. It was such a nice and unexpected gesture. One doesn't experience things like that very often often in the Greater Houston area. I'll be going there a lot more often. Houston finally felt a bit like a hometown. Took 14.5 years. Wow.

That's excellent! And a rare gorgeous day in Texas, to boot! I used to go to that shop when I lived out there! Is it in a strip mall in northwest Houston? Or is it in the Heights? That would probably be a good move for them. I got some good stuff there.

If you're ever in downtown (or maybe it's mid town, I don't know) it may be worth checking out Sig's Lagoon. It's run by an acquaintance of mine---we both worked at the same shop in San Marcos back in the 90s. Part of it is decorated with a lot of the stuff from the old shop in San Marcos. Mind you, I've never been there! Invariably, when I'm in Houston it's for my job or a ballgame and I don't hang around long enough to do other stuff.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 16 Oct 2021, 21:44

Six String wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:I’ve been thinking about finally watching The Sopranos but for one reason or another, I’ve ended up seeing a ton of the murders/ outbursts/ betrayals on YouTube in two minute clips so I think it will probably ruin all the surprises that make the series great. I mean, should I watch it anyway? Seems a bit pointless!

You held out longer than me! I didn’t watch the series until it was all over but only a year or so afterwards. I guess it depends on your memory of those details whether it will ruin it for you or not. The show was well done of course so I enjoyed it. Have you seen The Wire?

I love The Sopranos.

I also loves Sons of Anarchy.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 17 Oct 2021, 16:43

Indeed Baron. It was 72 degrees with low humidity, just like today, in fact. It would have been a perfect day if the Red Sox hadn't won.
This store is smack dabble in the middle of The Heights area, 239 W 19th street. In Northwest Houston (Jersey Village there's one that's called Sounds Good To Me. Maybe you're referring to that one, I actually bought my new turntable and receiver 2 weeks ago. Thank you for the tip on Sig's Lagoon. Will check it out next weekend.

More random stuff about TO-day. 2 weeks ago we had 2 piglets butchered and this afternoon the bellies will end up on the Barbie. My wife and I rarely eat meat and when we do it's not store-bought. These piglets were born in March and we raised and fed them ourselves. Nothing but the best: goat milk, organic feed, nothing that contains salt, etc. It's still a bit weird, though. We can do this with our piglets but we're not able to eat our chickens. We just eat their egg and enjoy seeing them in action until a chickenhawk gets hold of one of them.

Back to the pigs: we picked up our first 2 pigs in May last year. Porky & Bess. 2 females. A couple of weeks ago we had the feeling Porky might be pregnant again. Last week Sunday she unexpectedly gave birth to a whopping 11 piglets of which 10 have survived so far. 5-6 weeks from today we'll be giving 8 of them away. If anybody's interested, just drop on by.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 17 Oct 2021, 17:04

mudshark wrote:Indeed Baron. It was 72 degrees with low humidity, just like today, in fact. It would have been a perfect day if the Red Sox hadn't won.
This store is smack dabble in the middle of The Heights area, 239 W 19th street. In Northwest Houston (Jersey Village there's one that's called Sounds Good To Me. Maybe you're referring to that one, I actually bought my new turntable and receiver 2 weeks ago. Thank you for the tip on Sig's Lagoon. Will check it out next weekend.

It was out on 1960, somewhere between 249 and I-45 in a strip mall. But this was about 2005 or so. I suspect they've moved to the Heights, which seems like a pretty canny move for a record shop in Houston!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 17 Oct 2021, 17:08

A friend of mine had a chicken show up in his front yard recently. It sleeps in his tree at night and digs up his potted plants during the day.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Oct 2021, 20:11

Six String wrote:

Yes I’ve seen and loved The Wire, much of which would have been ruined if I knew who died when!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Oct 2021, 16:14

We've got an injured possum that's been crawling from one yard to the next out back- looks like a baby. It's back leg or perhaps spinal cord has had an injury and it's really dragging. I'm going to try and catch it this week to take it to the wildlife rescue and I was just reading the best "tempting treats" for possums which seem to span the entire smorgasbord of foodstuffs. Basically- if I put out marshmallows or a great big turd, it's all good.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 21 Oct 2021, 04:48

I just finished a four hour lesson on sake on line. This is the second four hour session so it got more detailed on the process. My brain hurts. Fascinating though.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Nextdoorland”