MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 10 Jun 2021, 23:26

Today we made our way to Bishop and did mini tours of June Lake, Mammoth Lakes before we pulled into town. We went up to 8900 ft in elevation and saw 11 lakes before arriving in Bishop and we drove by roads to others that we didn’t take. These are alpine lakes with crystal clear water surrounded by snowcaoped mountains, just beautiful. Now we are at merely 5,000 feet above sea level. We may be going to a state championship high school rodeo in town tomorrow night. It will be interesting to go to a local event to get a little local flavor. Tomorrow morning we will hike around the bristle cone pines at probably 10,000 feet.

Edit: One of the lakes we stopped at was Convict Lake. Long ago four men escaped from jail in Carson City, Nevada and ended up there and a big gun fight occured killing a bunch of them. Nice little lake with trails around it that were easy to walk. I did find a tick on me at the hotel. Glad it was crawling on my arm and not embedded in my skin.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Jun 2021, 17:37

Sounds gorgeous! Except for the tick.
We are on our way to San Antonio where we are going to hug Dad of Baron stepmum of Baron for the first time since February 2020.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Jun 2021, 05:15

Minnie the Minx wrote:Sounds gorgeous! Except for the tick.
We are on our way to San Antonio where we are going to hug Dad of Baron stepmum of Baron for the first time since February 2020.

Excellent! Hugs are good.

We’ve had an amazing trip (besides the tick). I’m going to start a separate thread to describe it. We return tomorrow so coming soon! Spoiler alert!
I saw a beaver tonight.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 13 Jun 2021, 14:03

Six String wrote:Spoiler alert! I saw a beaver tonight.

:o :? :D :D

Oh, I guess you made it up to Canada then?!

Joking apart, I love beavers in the wild. Was it near its dam? Swimming and lolling about? Just sunning itself? (Eating a poutine? Sorry :oops: )

Looking forward to your update.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Jun 2021, 16:35

souphound wrote:
Six String wrote:Spoiler alert! I saw a beaver tonight.

:o :? :D :D

Oh, I guess you made it up to Canada then?!

Joking apart, I love beavers in the wild. Was it near its dam? Swimming and lolling about? Just sunning itself? (Eating a poutine? Sorry :oops: )

Looking forward to your update.

There was a dam nearby. It was on the East Walker River behind the motel we stayed in last night. The dam wasn’t complete so water was still flowing. Beaver was swimming and diving. No poutine in sight but there was a bakery nearby for breakfast croissants.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 13 Jun 2021, 18:05

Wonderful. Serves well to remind me how long it's unfortunately been since I've been out in nature. I miss it. It's my own fault though. There are lots of possibilities not far out of this city. There are even some in the city itself. Must go.

Reigning over the downtown core here in Montreal is a small mountain (well, not sure "mountain" is the right word for it. It's only 794 ft. tall). Near the top, there is a wonderful nature park at the heart of which there is a large artificial pond called "Beaver Lake". It was names thus in view of the fact that it was built near the site of an old beaver dam (found during construction in the 1930s). You can see ducks in the pond, but I sincerely doubt whether there are any beavers to be found anywhere nearby it.

Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Jun 2021, 00:05

Beautiful park and what a view towards Montreal but yeah that’s more a hill than a mountain. Even though Mount Whitney near Bishop where we stayed at our southern most stop is 14,500ft or so there are multiple peaks in the area that miss that by only 200 - 300 ft. While there was a little snow on some of the Sierra peaks it was not nearly what it would be under normal conditions.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Jun 2021, 01:05

The hummingbirds were so active this week that they drained my 32oz. feeder bottle in less than six days. Before the trip they were consuming two cups of nectar every four or five days. I doubled the amount and they still drained it before I got home.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Jun 2021, 05:21

Failed experiment.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Jun 2021, 17:17

Interesting news item about James Baldwin that never aired.

https://vimeo.com/561405000
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Jun 2021, 16:28

The days of using my flip phone are coming to an end. My provider will no longer be using the old network it uses after the end of this year. So looks like I will be joining the modern world, not exactly kicking and screaming but still a disappointment. I suppose it is time.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 19 Jun 2021, 16:48

Six String wrote:The days of using my flip phone are coming to an end. My provider will no longer be using the old network it uses after the end of this year. So looks like I will be joining the modern world, not exactly kicking and screaming but still a disappointment. I suppose it is time.

Sorry, Six. No one needs a smartphone until they have one. :x
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Jun 2021, 17:21

On the plus side, I’ll be able to text more easily which is the way people communicate these days, for better or worse.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 19 Jun 2021, 17:56

der Freiherr wrote: No one needs a smartphone until they have one. :x

You can say the same about crack.
Just say no
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Jun 2021, 18:46

It was 35 degrees (F) hotter here than New Orleans yesterday! Of course it’s a dry heat. :roll:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 21 Jun 2021, 19:36

Away for the week with the Wee Guy. We went mountain biking yesterday he took a tumble and split his knee wide open. Luckily he didn't damage his knee cap or any tendons. Stitches out in 10 days then physio starts. He thinks he'll be back on his bike in 5 weeks. I think 5 month might be more realistic. Hopefully out of hospital tomorrow.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Six String

Postby Six String » 21 Jun 2021, 21:01

Sounds like a pretty tough bike injury Jim. Of you ride enough it is bound to happen some day though so far my only moment was going over my handlebars on a rented mountain bike on Mount Whistler in B.C. That’s Canada not dating my accident! :D
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 21 Jun 2021, 22:12

He was lucky it wasn't much worse. We had split up because I'm too old for the harder trails. He cycled back for 10 minutes to the car park with his knee in bits. I then had to drive for an hour with him sitting in the car chatting away.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 22 Jun 2021, 14:59

Getting out of hospital this afternoon, crutches although he has been told he can weight bear on his leg for short periods.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 22 Jun 2021, 20:55

Six String wrote:It was 35 degrees (F) hotter here than New Orleans yesterday! Of course it’s a dry heat. :roll:

that's awful.

we've had rain for a few days, some of it floody. definitely not any version of dry. only 87 here right now, so i can't complain.

however, very, very soon, we're gonna get to soles-of-yer-shoes-meltin-on-the-street stage. and i will try my best to hide the fucque from it.

Return to “Nextdoorland”