Five questions December version

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Five questions December version

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 01 Dec 2021, 15:55

If I looked under your living room sofa right this minute, what would I find under there?

My grandma used to say "only boring people get bored." Do you think she was right?

Did you ever bring anything non -human (an animal or an inanimate object) home that horrified your parents? What was it?

Have you heard any new phrases or words this week that were pleasing to the ear?

You're a passenger in a steam train and the driver jumps out or passes out or something. There is only you there (let's say everyone else is blind.) Could you bring the train to a stop? In other words, how hard do you reckon it is to stop a steam train?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: Five questions December version

Postby souphound » 01 Dec 2021, 16:14

If I looked under your living room sofa right this minute, what would I find under there?
Not much at all. I cleaned thouroughly this weekend. Probably a tiny little airy clumo of cat hair. There's always some of that around, try as I might to get them all.

My grandma used to say "only boring people get bored." Do you think she was right?
I think the only thing questionable about that is the word "only". You can be boring to others but entirely the opposite inside. Likewise, you can be enyirely entertaining to other while being totally pointless and bring in reality. It's all in the mind really and how "boring is defined and perceived. I tend to be the most creative when I'm seemingly doing very little while my mind is running wild like a steam train without a conductor.

Did you ever bring anything non -human (an animal or an inanimate object) home that horrified your parents? What was it?
Not really horrified but rather annoyed. Every year, a pet shop near my primary school would give out coupons for free goldfish. I would amass 3 or four coupons from friends who didn't want them. I'd then go to the store where they would give me a few goldfish in a clear plastic bag (holding water of course), and bring them home. My mom would let them swim around for a couple of days until they all accidentally got flushed down the toilet. :x

Have you heard any new phrases or words this week that were pleasing to the ear?
Nope, can't think of any.

You're a passenger in a steam train and the driver jumps out or passes out or something. There is only you there (let's say everyone else is blind.) Could you bring the train to a stop? In other words, how hard do you reckon it is to stop a steam train?
I sure as hell would try to stop it. I'd look for an emergency brake first of course. If I didn't find it, I would try to figure out how to let the steam out, literally. Without the emergency brake, I bet it's almost impossile to figure out how to stop it, for me anyway.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 01 Dec 2021, 16:37

I pulled my couch out and swept last week too but by now there’s probably a little dust and hair. Things that you could have found on other occasions would include cookie crumbs, a guitar pick and the ubiquitous dust and hair.

A generality but true for the most part.

I don’t think so though I brought lots of insects and other animals home. A friend had a rattle snake he kept in a cage (naturally) in his bedroom and his Dad supported the idea. His mother refused to go in the room to clean.

No but then I’m old.

I’d like to think I could.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 01 Dec 2021, 16:42

It does not take much imagination to stop being bored.

Pleasing on the ear - I have been binge watching the early seasons of the West Wing, and every five minutes there's a beautifully turned pithy statement..

Steam train - If there was not a clearly marked emergency brake, it is probably not a proper steam engine.
However in that hypothetical absence, there are a few options:
Twist that, turn the other, pull the third thing and push the fourth.
And put the fire out.

Flower

Postby Flower » 01 Dec 2021, 18:09

The cat that you scared when you came or broke into the house.

No .. people who lack imagination tend to get bored.

Not that I recall.

Not yet.

I'd more than likely jump out after the driver as if he/she couldn't stop it, I doubt if I could.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Dec 2021, 19:22

In order to answer that question, I would have to go and look under the sofa myself. I'm not falling for your corny tricks!

I don't know, but as I rarely get bored myself, I hope she was!

Not that I can recall, no. I'm sure I bought some records and books that would have horrified them, had I let them see them.

I hear such things frequently, but seldom remember them!

I have no idea, but I'd like to know more about the scenario. Where are we at the time? Are we in the middle of nowhere? Are we comin' 'round the mountain? If I do stop the train, is that necessarily less dangerous than if I let it go awhile? Are we somewhere where another train might plow into us if we're stopped?

Six String

Postby Six String » 01 Dec 2021, 19:58

I just remembered a phrase I heard, actually an acronym VUCA to describe our current world.
Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 01 Dec 2021, 20:24

- The rest of the living room rug and some dust. Maybe a stray piece of popcorn if you're lucky.

- I get bored at work when there's nothing to do and there's not much I can do about it except go for a walk or get a coffee. I'm boring at work.

- A haircut.

- I started switching up my walking-to-work route, and have been passing this sign for the past few days:

- I think I could. I've watched British tv shows about steam trains and I've spent time inside an engine in the Museum of Science & Technology in Ottawa.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 01 Dec 2021, 22:25

harvey k-tel wrote:I've watched British tv shows about steam trains and I've spent time inside an engine in the Museum of Science & Technology in Ottawa.

So, you've had some training then?!

Sorry. Boring, I know.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Dec 2021, 23:29

I don't have a living room sofa. Instead I've got a bed. Under the bed you will find CD's.

I have no idea. I don't mix with people much, so I guess I could be considered boring, but the fact is I am almost never bored. Except perhaps when waiting at a red light or sitting in a waiting room.

Did you ever bring anything non-human (an animal or an inanimate object) home that horrified your parents? What was it?
No.

No, not this week. But I do like to pick up new words or phrases and usually only have to hear them once to remember them.

No. I'd try to jump out, or - it's too hard for me to imagine how I'd react. Maybe I'd try to recall some such scene from an old movie and try to stop the train.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 02 Dec 2021, 00:36

Well, I don't know! But I can tell you what's under ours - without doubt, an upturned long dead roach, enough catfur to make gloves and some very small spiders and their houses.

The more I think about this, the more I think that this was her way of making me so appalled to be accused of being boring that I would piss off and entertain myself rather than demand she entertain me. The crafty old buggar!

Mum didn't like the slugs I rescued from the street during soggy Autumns. I would bring them into our garden, and she told me years later she used to wait till I was round the corner and then tread on them.

Actually what made me think of this story was this podcast I was listening to the other day. There was this bloke talking about birdwatching and how fanatical he was about it, and that he loved studying animal behaviour. He said this had all started when he was a young boy and he had watched a nature documentary where David Attenborough had buried a steak in a jungle near some birds of prey to illustrate how accurate their senses were. Apparently, they had circled down to the exact spot even though it was buried really deep and then pulled it up. He decided to replicate this in his back garden as he was fascinated with the local turkey vultures. He decided to bury some roadkill and then set up a camera to film the aftermath. He couldn't find any fresh roadkill though, and after a month he found one big dead deer that had been dead a while. It was covered in pus and yellowjackets and was really soggy and he dragged it home at night and buried it in the garden. By morning there were about thirty turkey vultures on the roof, on the car, and on the deer which they had actively nibbled overnight- starting with the eyeballs and moving on to the soft gums. I was visualizing his excitement and grabbing his binoculars and lifting them to his eyes, only to see his parents standing in their jim jams aproaching him with faces like thunder!

Someone on Radio 4 this morning was talking about copyright law and referred to someone who had been dead a long time as being "dead enough" which made me chuckle. The podcast I was listening to about birds was called "Spark Bird" which I liked the sound of too.

I've seen enough black and white films to know that you pull a cord really hard while grunting and patting your forehead with a handkerchief. Easy peasy!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 02 Dec 2021, 00:37

souphound wrote:
harvey k-tel wrote:I've watched British tv shows about steam trains and I've spent time inside an engine in the Museum of Science & Technology in Ottawa.

So, you've had some training then?!

Sorry. Boring, I know.

:lol:

Dr Markus wrote:

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 02 Dec 2021, 02:19

I think I've given that some attention lately so it's probably slightly less horrifying than Min's description, which is otherwise accurate.

Perhaps. Then again, I'm a very boring person and I'm rarely bored.

I seriously doubt it.

No. Though I think I noticed a bit of cockney rhyming slang in a Soft Boys song that I wouldn't have gotten ten years ago.

I'd give it a good go, but how the shit should I know?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Dec 2021, 04:06

der Freiherr wrote:Have you heard any new phrases or words this week that were pleasing to the ear?

No. Though I think I noticed a bit of cockney rhyming slang in a Soft Boys song that I wouldn't have gotten ten years ago.

Was it "have a butcher's" ("Kingdom Of Love")? That one confused the hell out of me for years.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 02 Dec 2021, 04:31

Charlie O. wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:Have you heard any new phrases or words this week that were pleasing to the ear?

Was it "have a butcher's" ("Kingdom Of Love")? That one confused the hell out of me for years.

Yes!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 02 Dec 2021, 16:51

I looked under your living room sofa right this minute, what would I find under there?

Reading glasses. The missing remote for my region free DVD player. Dust bunnies. A rolled up toddler sock (truly puzzling because we have had no small children in our house for 2 years and I've definitely cleaned under the sofa since that point...lol) and some wrapped Halloween candy from when Veronica dumped all of her candies out on the sofa and they fell everywhere.

No... But I do think learning to entertain yourself is a skill that's acquired through practice. Once you become an adult if you still haven't achieved the skill you probably haven't had enough proper stimulus in your life.

Frankie goes to Hollywood - relax single. My mother used it as a frisbee the second it got to the "when you want to come" bit.

My daughter told me "whatever you're feeling is valid mom... you don't have to pretend to be happy to preserve some idealized image of Christmas for me or anything. Just do what you need to do to get through the month and don't worry about making things merry and bright. I can do that myself." (she surely can) she followed up this beautiful declaration of pleasing words with the offer of a cup of tea. She's a good nut.

I think there's a valve or something you can pull to release steam and I'm sure there's breaks you then apply and then of course stop fueling it entirely or quell whatever fire is creating the steam and that should probably do the trick. I make no guarantee though so a lot of blind people are probably all going to die because I'm pretty sure that's my stop up ahead....
--m.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Dec 2021, 18:08

martha wrote:My daughter told me "whatever you're feeling is valid mom... you don't have to pretend to be happy to preserve some idealized image of Christmas for me or anything. Just do what you need to do to get through the month and don't worry about making things merry and bright. I can do that myself." (she surely can) she followed up this beautiful declaration of pleasing words with the offer of a cup of tea. She's a good nut.

Your daughter's awesome.

Always nice to hear from ya, martha!

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 02 Dec 2021, 18:44

Charlie O. wrote:
martha wrote:My daughter told me "whatever you're feeling is valid mom... you don't have to pretend to be happy to preserve some idealized image of Christmas for me or anything. Just do what you need to do to get through the month and don't worry about making things merry and bright. I can do that myself." (she surely can) she followed up this beautiful declaration of pleasing words with the offer of a cup of tea. She's a good nut.

Your daughter's awesome.

Always nice to hear from ya, martha!

I echo your sentiments.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 02 Dec 2021, 20:21

just vacuumed last weekend and did the rare under the sofa vacuum. But its been a week so crumbs, maybe some buds and change are a good guess
[img]will%20my%20bub%20wouldn't%20even%20have%20know%20the%20term.%20I%20listen%20to%2015%20minute%20prog%20songs%20so%20you%20know%20nothing%20bores%20me.%20I%20agree%20with%20your%20grandma.%20A%20bunch%20of%20years%20ago%20I%20was%20babysitting%20my%20nephew%20and%20he%20stated%20he%20was%20bored,%20so%20I%20gave%20him%20a%20list%20of%20things%20to%20do,%20a%20few%20years%20late%20he%20told%20me%20I'll%20never%20tell%20you%20I'm%20bored%20again.%20%20[/img]

Oh boy the list is long. Lets start with the cat that ended up hiding in my dads closet and then had 4 kitties.
My pet baby snapping turtle I got from the near by creek. Made a fit and mom got me a tank and we kept it all winter. Damn it smelt.
I brought a bullfrog home once and it escaped in the kitchen and was jumping all over the place.
we also had snakes and turtles in my backyard and garage we kept in various things

not really but was watching the Beatles doc this week and certainly heard some brit terms I was aware of

certainly would try if not I would jump off, by the way I've jumped from a boxcar although it was going very slow.