THE BCB INTERVIEWS: Jeemo

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

THE BCB INTERVIEWS: Jeemo

Postby Penk! » 08 Jan 2014, 11:36

Might as well keep it simple to begin with: how would you yourself describe your taste in music?

If anyone asks me what kind of music I like, I usually say that I like most kinds of music. And make exceptions for artists that I dont like. Which usually results in me saying that so and do is crap and it turning out to be their favourite.

I don't split music into genres. If I like it fine I dont care if anyone else likes it or whether it is hip.

So with wide-ranging tastes like this, are there certain artists that stand out as particularly important for you? And are these artists similar in style, or do they work in very different areas?

If I take the three people that I have the most cd's of, they are Framk Zappa, Scott Walker and Jackie Leven.
Apart from all three of them being awkward to work with according to others. I don't see much of a connection musically between them.

Like you say, there aren't too many obvious similarities between those artists. Can you tell me a bit about what draws you to each of them?

Scott Walker.

I was working in a record shop when the Walker compilation Fire Escape in the Sky was released. It was compiled by Juilan Cope and was on Zoo records. It was played a lot in the shop and I loved the song Such a Small Love. I kept meaning to get a copy when the record was withdrawn due to Zoo not paying licensing money to Phonogram.

Phonogram then released their own best of. However where as the Zoo release was all Walker originals, the new release was top heavy with covers.

Over the next few years Such a Small Love was stuck in my head but wasn't available to buy as the records had been long deleted. In 1990 my wife was on a month long course in that London. I went down for one of the weekends, browsing in an Our Price near the Hammersmith Odeon. I bought the Boy Child compilation. Back home the tape was played non stop and although the song is about the death of a best friend, to me it was about me and Mrs J being apart for three long weeks.

Frank Zappa.

Again working in the record shop. I worked with a guy who changed his surname to Bozzio after Zappa's drummer. Marty was a Zappa fanatic and I heard enough to be intrigued. I also had a mate who was a fan and when Zappa played Glasgow I went along. One of the worst gigs I had ever seen. Turned me off Zappa altogether.

Years later my brother invited me to a guitar event that he was playing at in Baltimore. He was playing at a PRS guitar weekend called the PRS Experience. First night he was support to Carlos Santana and Buddy Guy. Next night he was playing below Zappa plays Zappa. Standing at the side of the stage it was really enjoyable. Back at the hotel I bumped into Dweezil Zappa and told him I had seen his Dad live and that it wasn't very good. Not one of my more tactful moments.

Back home I was sent a 3 cd set of Zappa instrumentals by Zoombogitty. I became obsessed and worked my way through the back catalogue.

Jackie Leven.

Jackie was in a group called doll by doll. I saw them twice as supports. Once to John Otway and one to Hawkwind. Both times I didn't really like them but something about them was striking. They didn't make it and split.

Years later, I bought a copy of Uncut and for some reason played the cd, which was something I rarely did. There was a track that stood out called Single Father and when I checked it was by Jackie Leven. I bought the album of the time. Defending Ancient Springs and again became obsessed with an artist. Jackie toured regularly and I would manage to see him at least once every six months.

I can't put into words why I love Jackie's music so much. I just do, if I had only one artist to listen to for the rest of my life I would pick Jackie. When he died. I was surprised at how I felt about him passing, I felt that I had lost maybe not a friend but someone that I felt I knew.

Changing the topic now, your brother is a respected guitarist. Based on his experiences, is your impression of the professional music world a positive or negative one?

As with most things in life it's a bit of both.

I would say that is in my brothers experience it has mostly been positive.

I will get the negative out the way first. While he was making his way at the start of his career, he played backup to a few well known Scottish folk musicians. While he gained valuable experience being on the road at times he would be patronised and spoken down to. He would at times have to make a stand to make sure he received what he was promised, whether his own solo spot or space to sell his CDs.

His worst experience was when he was hired to play in the band of a major "Celtic new age bollocks" artist. It was a six week tour of Europe with dates to follow in North America. He was messed around from the very beginning. After he had cleared space in his calendar to do the tour, the rehearsal locations and times were changed. When he pointed out that this clashed with a few dates he had committed to, he was left hanging for three weeks over Christmas before he was told that he was still part of the tour.

The music was straight forward enough if a bit bland but it was good money. However once on tour he became the scapegoat if anything went wrong. The low point being when he was told by the Star that he was holding his plectrum the wrong way. He was told by other members of the band and the road crew that she was totally out of order. Of course the petty nitpicking continued and nobody spoke up on his behalf.

At point he was offered his plane ticket home, which he refused as he wanted to complete the tour that he had committed to. He was then told he wasn't doing the North American dates, then asked to rehearse material for the next leg for a prospective live album that he wasn't contracted to do. I could go on and on and on.

The positives are many he has made many friends all over the world, fellow musicians and fans.

The most positive was that he had played on the same bill as Ricky Skaggs a few times. PRS guitars has decided to move into making acoustic guitars. Paul Reed Smith was chatting to Ricky and mentioned the acoustic range. Ricky suggested Tony, and Paul invited Tony to play. A few years later and Tony has his own signature guitar and a strong friendship with Paul.

Another positive is that people that Tony was inspired by have sought him out to play with on record and live. He grew up listening to my Yes albums and was a huge Steve Howe fan. A few years ago he received an email from Steve complementing him on his technique and feeling. He met up with him when Yes and Asia both toured Canada. Again all he taked about was Tony's playing.

The one major thing I would say about a musicians life is the lack of glamour and sheer tedium waiting for things to be ready. I spent a few days with Tony on the road, I read a lot and listening to loads of music on my iPod.

Speaking of Scottish folk, you are one of the board's prominent Scottish contingent. You've already spoken about Jackie Leven; do you feel that you are particularly attracted to Scottish music, whatever the genre?

I would say that I'm not particularly attracted to Scottish music per se. In fact probably the opposite. Although I do like a fair amount of Scottish music, there are a lot of Scottish artists that I really can't stand. I won't list them as I would hate to miss anyone out.

I wouldn't judge any act more favourably just because they are Scottish. If you're good it's because of the music not your birthplace.

How much has posting on BCB influenced your music taste? How much do you rely on BCB for information on tips, compared to friends, magazines etc? Are there any favourite artists or records you've discovered through BCB?

In the main I don't think that posting on here has had much effect on my musical taste. I still like ELP and don't get the fuss over Pet Sounds.

I don't really buy much new artist stuff anymore. I do still buy cd's but would be more inclined to buy stuff from when I was younger but didn't get around to listening to back then.

There are areas of taste that I share with posters on here. I like some Prog but I wouldn't say I was a fully fledged goon. I like some folk music but not the full range of singing jumpers and I like a lot of punk but wasn't a punk.

I did get a few tips from the Jazz thread when I started buying jazz CDs. However the main artist that I came to through BCB was Frank Zappa.

I had mentioned on here that after seeing Dweezil Zappa live it made me reconsider my view on his Dads music. Zoombogitty sent a 3cd set of instrumentals which really opened the door for me as the discs covered the full range of Franks musical career.

So if not for Zoombogitty, I would probably be a casual listener rather than having over 60 odd CDs.

How do you find the time to listen to 60-odd CDs of Zappa? As a new father myself, I'm struggling to find the time to listen to a lot of music; as someone who spends most of his time with children, do you listen to music with them and play your own records for them?

You are right that time is a limited commodity when you have young children around the house. The wee guy is nearly 9 so is at school for most of the day. The wee girl is 16 months, so anything goes with her. She will dance or shoogle to most things.

I don't really get the time to sit down and listen to music, it's always while I'm doing something else. Either playing with the wee girl or while cooking. I don't play much music at night or at weekends as there are always other things going on.

Where having children in the house has changed my habits. Is that I don't read as much as I used to. I would read at least a couple of books a month. I have at the moment read three this year and might finish a fourth before the year ends.

... and so to my final question: how will the Jeemo household be celebrating Christmas? And, for the BCBers, is there any music you always like listening to at Christmas?

Christmas will be fairly traditional. Turkey and all the usual stuff. Before Fostering we would have both mothers over and spend most of the day tending to them. While having a drink at the same time. Boxing Day would be the relaxing day, just the two of us and David.

Now it's just my mother-in-law as my Mum passed 8 years ago. Not forgetting the two kids. So now we will be tending to them but without the restful boxing day or having that much to drink.

Music wise it will be mostly just background stuff. Any music that I get won't get properly listened to till January when the schools go back.

Cheers Ed. Hope you have a great day tomorrow as a new Dad.

Thanks for that, Jim. Hope Christmas went well for you and yours.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Re: THE BCB INTERVIEWS: Jeemo

Postby kath » 08 Jan 2014, 20:30

anuther great read, on both sides. of course, it was gonna happen, but i absolutely luvvv the variety in styles, question rationale, the way these things move, all of it.

jeemo, in one core respect, you and i are kindred spirits:

"I don't split music into genres. If I like it fine I dont care if anyone else likes it or whether it is hip."

tell it, man.

(i first typed kindred spirts, though. that might sound kinda wrong.)

what does shoogle mean?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 08 Jan 2014, 21:09

kath wrote:what does shoogle mean?

Its a Scottish word. Usually means shaky. if someone was close to getting the sack, or dumped there is an expression that neatly describes the situation

Their jaicket is on a shoogly peg.

Or

Their jacket is very shaky on the coatstand.

So I'm using it as a descriptive for the wee girl dancing
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

der nister

Postby der nister » 08 Jan 2014, 21:13

cool

Intrigued by what made the Zappa show bad,

what year was it?

was he doing an early and late show?
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 08 Jan 2014, 21:42

It was the Shiek yer Booti tour. The tickets were expensive for the time. It was the only show he played that day.

My main problem was that for part of the gig Zappa sat on a chair drank coffee and smoked cigarettes. Then put his hair in a ponytail played some guitar and then sat back down again.

At that time of gig going we would wait outside for autographs. Zappa and the band walked straight through the small amount of folk waiting, ignoring every request and walked straight onto the bus.

At work in the shop the next day, I said to Marty that it was rubbish and he agreed with me. He did change his mind when he got a bootleg of the gig. I was of the opinion that it should be good on the actual night as well as later listening back.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

der nister

Postby der nister » 08 Jan 2014, 22:23

sorry the show was a stinker
Frank could be like that
particularly during the 80s
surprised to see this happened in '79
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 08 Jan 2014, 22:31

Jeemo wrote:
kath wrote:what does shoogle mean?

Its a Scottish word. Usually means shaky. if someone was close to getting the sack, or dumped there is an expression that neatly describes the situation

Their jaicket is on a shoogly peg.

Or

Their jacket is very shaky on the coatstand.

So I'm using it as a descriptive for the wee girl dancing

i luvvv it. mwhahaha. i had it in my head that it was some combination of "shuffle" and "boogie" ... just with more of a dr. seuss kinda kidlike quality. a wee girl dancin.

my brain does this with words. i just luvluvluv the sound of it, anyway (i.e., i'm stealin it.)

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jan 2014, 22:32

Robust stuff lads

Robust stuff

J - I didn't realise you were a Zappa fan....

x
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 08 Jan 2014, 22:34

;)
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 08 Jan 2014, 22:45

Jeemo wrote: Although I do like a fair amount of Scottish music, there are a lot of Scottish artists that I really can't stand. I won't list them as I would hate to miss anyone out.

:lol:
Just a penitent man

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 08 Jan 2014, 23:20

Good stuff - this series is delivering very well!

Betty Denim

Postby Betty Denim » 08 Jan 2014, 23:21

:)

Really interesting. I'll always remember the time someone came up to us in Edinburgh and asked my ex-husband if he was Jeemo's brother.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 08 Jan 2014, 23:47

Betty Denim wrote::)

Really interesting. I'll always remember the time someone came up to us in Edinburgh and asked my ex-husband if he was Jeemo's brother.

Post a picture, to see if I can see a resemblance
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Betty Denim

Postby Betty Denim » 09 Jan 2014, 10:38

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Jan 2014, 10:59

A really interesting read, thanks guys.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 09 Jan 2014, 21:05

Separated at birth?

Betty Denim wrote:Image

So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Betty Denim

Postby Betty Denim » 09 Jan 2014, 21:10

Jeemo wrote:Separated at birth?

Betty Denim wrote:Image

:shock:

Quite a resemblance.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 10 Jan 2014, 14:27

Good read - Interesting to hear about your brothers experiences, but what about yourself? Do you play? Is there talent in the family?

I'm always interested in other peoples experiences at playing instruments because I am shockingly bad at it!

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Jan 2014, 16:10

I started playing first. I played the clarinet till I was 14 or so. I had to work hard to average, I played in school orchestras and the like but wasnt passionate about it. Tony was.

My Grandfather played fiddle in a ceilidhe band, he is the baldy guy in the front.

His son my Uncle Louis played, both were average at best as they would admit themselves. My dad could get a tune out of an acordian and harmonica but wasnt serious.

My cousin Louis was very talented, he could play anything with strings. He was raised mostly in Australia. Louis is in the yellow tshirt

http://www.louismcmanus.com/index.htm

My son plays drums in a band, David is the guy with the torch that goes on his arse in the background.

Last edited by Jimbly on 10 Jan 2014, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 10 Jan 2014, 16:23

the masked man wrote:Good stuff - this series is delivering very well!

Can't put it any better. As I said: we're witness to one of the finest ideas in BCB's history coming into fruition. It's a joy to read these Q & A's, and numerous answers develop into short stories, as it were.

Cheers to all involved, then.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Return to “BCB Desert Island Discs & BCB Interviews”