DESERT ISLAND DISCS: MAGILLA, Feb 12

Insouciant Western People

Re: DESERT ISLAND DISCS: MAGILLA, Feb 12

Postby Insouciant Western People » 16 Feb 2012, 22:01

Magilla wrote:So here's 'Brother My Cup Is Empty' from Henry's Dream for ya:

Firstly, thanks for reminding me what a great song that is, and how good the Henry's Dream lp is as well. That was the first Cave lp I got, back in '92, and it's still my favourite of his. I loved that period, between the late 80s and mid-90s, it caught Cave still full of the fire of The Birthday Party, but tempering it with other influences, and most of his best love songs are from that period too, or at least I think so.

Also, bloody great read all round man! You're a very good writer, and I really enjoyed reading it. Nice one.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Billy

DESERT ISLAND DISCS: MAGILLA, Feb 12

Postby Billy » 16 Feb 2012, 22:32

Grant -- smashing beyond belief!

You make it worthwhile logging on round here, beyond the fleps and the kicking merkets ...

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 17 Feb 2012, 10:00

kath wrote:1. why did yer dad forbid you going into vibes? was it the kinda record store like those so hip in the states before the reagan administration... meaning they doubled as head shops with all sorts of droog paraphenalia and underground/counterculture gear? was it subversive just in a punk kinda way? (i was very glad when these elements of record stores started to make a come back, if only for sentimental reasons.)

Vibes was around the corner from Dad's shop. It was owned and ran by a guy called Tony Murdoch, who was what most parents saw as a renegade and weirdo. He dressed in the post-punk fashions of the time and sold all this wild music. He and his friends used to treat the place like a party venue on Friday nights. You'd go in there and there'd be him and his friends hanging out and they'd be openly drinking, while there was also this weird-smelling smoke drifting out from the stock room...
So basically it was the sort of place that our parents thought would just utterly corrupt us.
Tony was a member of the above-mentioned Marching Orders and they split in early '84 after playing the annual Sweetwaters festival near Auckland. Talking Heads, Simple Minds, the Pretenders and Eurthmics were the headliners, incidentally).
A few months later he was DJing at a pub and was almost beaten to death by a member of the Mongrel Mob (a notorious Hells Angels-type gang here in NZ) over some money the guy owed Tony. (Tony was very easy-going with credit).

After recovering, he shifted to Wellington and opened the Soul Mine music shop and quickly established it as a very cutting edge, hip record shop. He very deservedly made a lot more money in the capital than he did in Gisborne, too.
But the changes in retail trends eventually put him out of business about three years ago. Our mutual friend Simon went to the closing down party and said he was in good form, but has kept a low profile since.

2. what does grotty mean? i get the general idea from the houseful of teenagers context... i'm guessin it's like grubby + snotty? (mwhaha, that bit about yer asking the record store guy, what have ya got to piss off my hippy stepbrother?...)

just for the record, lemme add that i totally support the idea of a home brewking kit on an island.

Yeah, grotty pretty much means that; probably more "scummy", "filthy", etc, to be accurate. "Skoddy" (rhymes with "roadie") means cheap 'n' nasty. Home brew is great if it's made well, dire if it isn't.

Thank you for the kind comments, much appreciated.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 17 Feb 2012, 22:33

Magilla wrote:He and his friends used to treat the place like a party venue on Friday nights. You'd go in there and there'd be him and his friends hanging out and they'd be openly drinking, while there was also this weird-smelling smoke drifting out from the stock room...

ahhh, yes. mwhaha. there was this local record shop here in huntsville, one of those relatively rare, independently owned places, called sunburst records. reap was fanatical about the place. the guy who owned it was such a head... kinda like a 40-year-ole spiccoli, just without the surfer dude-isms. the store was not only packed to the rafters with great vinyl, vintage concert posters on the wall (not for sale) and the like. the owner guy had taken to ... decorating the place with everything his warped, pop-cultured, heady self appreciated. retro toys, games, outfits, shoes, furniture, strewn all about. every time we went into that place, the guy would be sittin behind the counter, drinking beer and smoking, yappin it up with several friends who were regulars plopped down on all the furniture, bean bag chairs, etc... all of them drinking and smoking, too. reap is not a smoker, but he loved the... atmosphere, the.. ambience... of the place, all the same.

reap was depressed for days when the place finally had to close down. sigh. so sad. i mean, the guy who owned it is one of those guys who's always gonna be fine and dandy in life, if ya know what i mean. he's the type to whistle thru the land mines. he gave reap his card on the store's last day and told him he'd see him at all the record shows. but still... reap was crushed. sniffle.

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Feb 2012, 22:36

A great read Grant

Good lad

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Mar 2012, 11:59

*bump*
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 10 Apr 2012, 22:26

Bump - admins please archive

Return to “BCB Desert Island Discs & BCB Interviews”