funky thigh collector

Jan/Feb Reviews

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Mar 2022, 01:01

OOPS!
Apologies sender- but here I am!!!
Right then- let's get this listened to!

1. Radio 1 Jingle! Fucking hell- I remember this :shock:
2. Now then- THIS IS THE STUFF! Yo La Tengo! Splendid
3. well, it's the theme to that programme isn't it, but with lyrics! 8-)
4. Some entertaining tune about farmers getting high on dropped coke :lol:
5. This is extraordinary - an acapella version of what I think may have once not been? Really great
6. THE CHORDS! Get in - shitting hell not heard this in years
7. A kind of trip hoppy tune that melts quite nicely around the head
8. A jingle I have NEVER heard for Radio 1- is that Sir Paul??
9. Well, I dont know who the hell this female vocalist is but this is FABULOUS
10. Hmmm Sonic Youth OR NOT???
11. Malcolm! Madam Butterfly -I have put this on SO many mix discs :lol:
12. This sounds like a vaguely gothy tune that I would listen to if wearing a beige suede jacket with arm tassles
13. This sounds like Elton John with a stuffy nose underwater - but that isn't a bad thing!
14. Jools Holland asking people to buy Squeeze!
15. BROADCAST 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Oh sender! You know what turns me on. And yet you have still kept me guessing with a few! I cannot wait for the reveal - especially 9!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Nick Danger

Re: Jan/Feb Reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 30 Mar 2022, 03:20

Minnie Cheddars wrote:OOPS!

5. This is extraordinary - an acapella version of what I think may have once not been? Really great
12. This sounds like a vaguely gothy tune that I would listen to if wearing a beige suede jacket with arm tassles
13. This sounds like Elton John with a stuffy nose underwater - but that isn't a bad thing!

Oh sender! You know what turns me on. And yet you have still kept me guessing with a few! I cannot wait for the reveal - especially 9!

Hey Minnie, I was your mixer this time but this isn't the mix I sent. Mine had 12 tracks and doesn't line up with any of this at all.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Mar 2022, 13:45

:?

Hmm.

:lol:

We had a huge clear up for my family arriving. All discs went upstairs including the mix discs. I will
Investigate again. So sorry mate! I totally dropped the ball
On this round

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 01 Apr 2022, 00:14

Here's my "what I did this Spring Break" theme, Teach:

Track one: Mid-tempo power pop song with the engaging couplet “I saw you from a distance/I wondered 'bout existence.”

Track two: Driving garage rock song with a “96 Tears” kind of organ part. Sounds like the lyrics are about beatniks!

Track three: Pop rock song based around a dramatic three chord descending pattern. Very nice.

Track four: Odd heavy garage rock track with no drums on it, the only percussion being some clapping on the downbeat.

Track five: Fast moody pop rock song that falls into that rare category of songs that has vocals but no lyrics in the chorus.

Track six: acoustic guitar driven pop rock song with lyrics about a pyromaniac.

Track seven: Wonderful piano and picked guitar driven song, great chorus.

Track eight: Rough-edged punk pop with a 50’s groove to it.

Track nine: Another song with a lot of organ, rapid fire lyrics and another very catchy chorus.

Track ten: Interesting, moody song with an echoey guitar that sounds like the guitar tone used in “Pipeline” by The Chantays.

Track eleven: Exuberant pop-punk/power pop song. Stuff you immediately want to sing along to.

Track twelve: Drony pop song with a heavy delay/tremolo guitar part.

Track thirteen: Slower song. It’s okay but my least favorite thing on this mix.

Track fourteen: This one sounds like a re-write of “Get Off My Cloud” on the verses.

Track fifteen: Acoustic guitar driven song. This one I would also only rate as “okay.”

Track sixteen: Raucous alt rock thing with screamy vocals reminiscent of Black Francis of Pixies.

Track seventeen: More melodic power pop with good harmonies and crunchy guitar.

Track eighteen: Elegant ballad in 6/8 time with a “So long, Maryanne” chorus.

With the noted exceptions above, another great mix, very strong melodies all around, and not a single song where I could hazard a guess as to the performers!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 01 Apr 2022, 00:20

Minnie Cheddars wrote:OOPS!

1. Slade Radio One Jingle 1
2. Yo La Tengo – “Sugarcube”
3. The Kane Triplets – “Theme from Mission Impossible”
4. The Reverend Horton Heat – “Bales of Cocaine”
5. Petra Haden – “Our Love Was”
6. The Chords – “Maybe Tomorrow”
7. Thievery Corporation – “Who Needs Forever”
8. Slade Radio One Jingle 2
9. Margo Guryan – “Don’t Go Away”
10. Sonic Youth – “Mote”
11. Malcolm McLaren – “Madame Butterfly”
12. That Petrol Emotion – “V2”
13. Guided by Voices – “Liar’s Tale”
14. ‘Argy Bargy’ radio advert
15. Broadcast – “The World Backwards”

You're welcome again, lol.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 01 Apr 2022, 19:05

pcqgod wrote:Here's my "what I did this Spring Break" theme, Teach:

Track one: Mid-tempo power pop song with the engaging couplet “I saw you from a distance/I wondered 'bout existence.”

Track two: Driving garage rock song with a “96 Tears” kind of organ part. Sounds like the lyrics are about beatniks!

Track three: Pop rock song based around a dramatic three chord descending pattern. Very nice.

Track four: Odd heavy garage rock track with no drums on it, the only percussion being some clapping on the downbeat.

Track five: Fast moody pop rock song that falls into that rare category of songs that has vocals but no lyrics in the chorus.

Track nine: Another song with a lot of organ, rapid fire lyrics and another very catchy chorus.

Track ten: Interesting, moody song with an echoey guitar that sounds like the guitar tone used in “Pipeline” by The Chantays.

Track eleven: Exuberant pop-punk/power pop song. Stuff you immediately want to sing along to.

Track fourteen: This one sounds like a re-write of “Get Off My Cloud” on the verses.

Track fifteen: Acoustic guitar driven song. This one I would also only rate as “okay.”

Track sixteen: Raucous alt rock thing with screamy vocals reminiscent of Black Francis of Pixies.

With the noted exceptions above, another great mix, very strong melodies all around, and not a single song where I could hazard a guess as to the performers!

Since Minnie enjoyed the all NZ disc last month have subjected you to the same fate.
This time just about all from the late 70's and 80’s Flying Nun era

Track 1 is Bailter Space from their Capsul album. Used to be the Gordons, a much harder noisier outfit but morphed into the more wall of sound more melodic soundscapes of Bailter Space.

Track 2 is local legends the Clean from their second EP released in 82 Great Sounds Great, Good Sounds Good, So-so Sounds So-so, Bad Sounds Bad, Rotten Sounds Rotten (usually simply known as Great Sounds Great) Also found on their ANTHOLOGY CD.

Track 3 is Beached from David Kilgour (the lead singer, songwriter and guitarist from the Clean) from his solo album Sugar Mouth

Track 4 is Chris Knox and his duo with Alec Bathgate Tall Dwarfs and their song Breath

Track 5 is Sour Queen from the Able Tasmans , another 80s Flying Nun band featuring the keyboards of Graeme Humphreys

Track 6 is the Verlaines and their Graeme Downes written classic Pyromaniac. He went on to be head of the Department of Music at Otago University. Fun Fact - I was once head butted in the face by a rather large skin head at a Verlaines gig at Auckland University.

Track 7 is the Chills and Double Summer from the Soft Bomb album recorded in England with Dave Mattacks on drums and Dave Gregory from XTC on bass

Track 8 is True Love from local punks the Marching Girls from the punk compilation AK79

Track 9 is My Name is Peter Keen , another track from the Able Tasmans

Track 10 is Warm Waveform from the 2015 album Silver Bullets from the Chills

Track 11 is another AK79 album track from the wonderful Spelling Mistakes who I used to go and see regularly (like a lot of these bands) on the weekends at various pubs and clubs around Auckland in those days.

Track 12 is Ray of Shine by the JPS Experience
Track 13 is Voom from the Now I am Me album
Track 14 is Toy Love - Chris Knox’s band before the Tall Dwarfs and their track Swimming Pool
Track 15 is the Verlaines again from the compilation Juvenilia
Track 16 is the 3Ds and Hey Guess featuring the great guitar of David Mitchell
Track 17 is the JPS Experience again and Into You from the Bleeding Star album
Track 18 is Straightjacket Fits from the classic Hail album and their version of Laughing Leonard Cohens So Long Marianne

Hope you enjoyed it, was fun to make

Collider Bailter Space Capsul
Beatnik The Clean Anthology
Beached David Kilgour Sugar Mouth
Breath Tall Dwarfs Weeville
Sour Queen Able Tasmans Songs From The Departure Lounge
Pyromaniac The Verlaines Juvenilia
Double Summer The Chills Soft Bomb
True Love Marching Girls Ak79
My Name Is Peter Keen Able Tasmans Songs From The Departure Lounge
Warm Waveform The Chills Silver Bullets
Feel So Good The Spelling Mistakes Ak79
Ray Of Shine Jps Experience Bleeding Star
Beth Voom Now I Am Me
Swimming Pool Toy Love Toy Love
Joed Out The Verlaines Juvenilia
Hey Seuss 3Ds The Venus Trail
Into You Jps Experience Bleeding Star
So Long Marianne Straitjacket Fits Hail

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Apr 2022, 22:50

Oh my god. I’m such a twat.
The disc hunt begins tomorrow

Dr Markus wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 02 Apr 2022, 04:25

Mike Boom wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Here's my "what I did this Spring Break" theme, Teach:

Since Minnie enjoyed the all NZ disc last month have subjected you to the same fate.
This time just about all from the late 70's and 80’s Flying Nun era

Track 1 is Bailter Space from their Capsul album. Used to be the Gordons, a much harder noisier outfit but morphed into the more wall of sound more melodic soundscapes of Bailter Space.

Track 2 is local legends the Clean from their second EP released in 82 Great Sounds Great, Good Sounds Good, So-so Sounds So-so, Bad Sounds Bad, Rotten Sounds Rotten (usually simply known as Great Sounds Great) Also found on their ANTHOLOGY CD.

Track 3 is Beached from David Kilgour (the lead singer, songwriter and guitarist from the Clean) from his solo album Sugar Mouth

Track 4 is Chris Knox and his duo with Alec Bathgate Tall Dwarfs and their song Breath

Track 5 is Sour Queen from the Able Tasmans , another 80s Flying Nun band featuring the keyboards of Graeme Humphreys

Track 6 is the Verlaines and their Graeme Downes written classic Pyromaniac. He went on to be head of the Department of Music at Otago University. Fun Fact - I was once head butted in the face by a rather large skin head at a Verlaines gig at Auckland University.

Track 7 is the Chills and Double Summer from the Soft Bomb album recorded in England with Dave Mattacks on drums and Dave Gregory from XTC on bass

Track 8 is True Love from local punks the Marching Girls from the punk compilation AK79

Track 9 is My Name is Peter Keen , another track from the Able Tasmans

Track 10 is Warm Waveform from the 2015 album Silver Bullets from the Chills

Track 11 is another AK79 album track from the wonderful Spelling Mistakes who I used to go and see regularly (like a lot of these bands) on the weekends at various pubs and clubs around Auckland in those days.

Track 12 is Ray of Shine by the JPS Experience
Track 13 is Voom from the Now I am Me album
Track 14 is Toy Love - Chris Knox’s band before the Tall Dwarfs and their track Swimming Pool
Track 15 is the Verlaines again from the compilation Juvenilia
Track 16 is the 3Ds and Hey Guess featuring the great guitar of David Mitchell
Track 17 is the JPS Experience again and Into You from the Bleeding Star album
Track 18 is Straightjacket Fits from the classic Hail album and their version of Laughing Leonard Cohens So Long Marianne

Hope you enjoyed it, was fun to make

Collider Bailter Space Capsul
Beatnik The Clean Anthology
Beached David Kilgour Sugar Mouth
Breath Tall Dwarfs Weeville
Sour Queen Able Tasmans Songs From The Departure Lounge
Pyromaniac The Verlaines Juvenilia
Double Summer The Chills Soft Bomb
True Love Marching Girls Ak79
My Name Is Peter Keen Able Tasmans Songs From The Departure Lounge
Warm Waveform The Chills Silver Bullets
Feel So Good The Spelling Mistakes Ak79
Ray Of Shine Jps Experience Bleeding Star
Beth Voom Now I Am Me
Swimming Pool Toy Love Toy Love
Joed Out The Verlaines Juvenilia
Hey Seuss 3Ds The Venus Trail
Into You Jps Experience Bleeding Star
So Long Marianne Straitjacket Fits Hail

Thanks. Flying Nun is mostly a blind spot for me. I have one FN comp I haven't listened to in years and I think a Chills album somewhere.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 09 Apr 2022, 14:58

Disc from PCQGOD. Right let's get to it....

1) Crunchy spiky power pop. Exactly the kind of thing I like.
2) Plenty of energy here too. Love the female vocal. Another winner
3) Latin gypsy style. I like anything with handclaps which is just as well. Someone’s hands will have been sore after this !
4) Sort of where surf meets TV cop theme (think Peter Gunn)
5) Pogues style raucous hispanic folk. What’s not to like.
6) Two songs in one. Didn’t like much at first. A kind of dreary psych dirge, which then gives way to wonderful byrdsy glorious full Rickenbacker jangle which I love.
7) Liked this well enough but hard to get an angle on. A bit of a mish mash
8) Real blues. Down and dirty. Yes Yes Yes
9) Not sure abot this although saved to a large extent by the slightly bonkers delivery.
10) Simple enough song overlaid with bazouki? Driven eastern arrangement. Quite liked this.
11) Latin again. Hard to place this in time or place. For all I know could be moder an Mexcican, although I could almost picture Hemingway in the casino in Havana, with this playing.
12) Sunshine pop to finish. Pleasant if not blowing me away.

Only a couple I was unsure about. An enjyable mix. Thanks.
We're way past rhubarb

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 Apr 2022, 03:08

1) Crunchy spiky power pop. Exactly the kind of thing I like.

The opening track from the debut album by The Exploding Hearts, ‘Guitar Romantic’ (2003). Tragically most of the band members perished in an auto accident shortly after its release.

2) Plenty of energy here too. Love the female vocal. Another winner

Game Theory, from their masterful 1987 ‘Lolita Nation’ album.

3) Latin gypsy style. I like anything with handclaps which is just as well. Someone’s hands will have been sore after this !

From a cd entitled ‘Festival Flamenco Gitano 3,’a collaboration of various stars of the genre. This track features guitarists Cepero, El Chato Amaya and Paco de Lucia and two additional musicians performing the dancing and handclaps!

4) Sort of where surf meets TV cop theme (think Peter Gunn)

Bobby Fuller plays The Ventures, live.

5) Pogues style raucous hispanic folk. What’s not to like.

Upcoming band Pinata Protest from San Antonio, Texas, self-proclaimed kings of “Norteño Punk.”

6) Two songs in one. Didn’t like much at first. A kind of dreary psych dirge, which then gives way to wonderful byrdsy glorious full Rickenbacker jangle which I love.

The one-album project band The Smoke (US), not to be confused with the UK or New Zealand groups of the same name that also recorded in the late 60’s.

7) Liked this well enough but hard to get an angle on. A bit of a mish mash

American goth band Christian Death.

8) Real blues. Down and dirty. Yes Yes Yes

Muddy Waters.

9) Not sure abot this although saved to a large extent by the slightly bonkers delivery.

Polka Floyd. If you guess that by that name they are a band that plays polka covers of Pink Floyd you would be absolutely correct.

10) Simple enough song overlaid with bazouki? Driven eastern arrangement. Quite liked this.

Late 60’s Israeli band Churchills.

11) Latin again. Hard to place this in time or place. For all I know could be moder an Mexcican, although I could almost picture Hemingway in the casino in Havana, with this playing.

Good instincts. A cover of a Mexican mariachi standard by Cuban salsa queen Úrsula Hilaria Celia de la Caridad Cruz Alfonso, more popularly known as Celia Cruz.

12) Sunshine pop to finish. Pleasant if not blowing me away.

The Quests, a group from Singapore featured on the compilation ‘Love Peace and Poetry: Asian Psychedelic Music.’

1. Exploding Hearts – Modern Kicks
2. Game Theory – Look Away
3. Paco de Lucia, etc. – Rumba Gitana
4. Bobby Fuller – 2,000 Pound Bee
5. Pinata Protest – Vato Perron
6. The Smoke – Gold is the Colour of Thought
7. Christian Death – Haloes
8. Muddy Waters – She’s Alright
9. Polka Floyd – Have a cigar
10. Churchills – Subsequent Final
11. Celia Cruz – La Bikina
12. The Quests – 26 Miles

The Fish wrote:
Only a couple I was unsure about. An enjyable mix. Thanks.

You're welcome.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 11 Apr 2022, 05:44

pcqgod wrote:
1. Exploding Hearts – Modern Kicks
2. Game Theory – Look Away
3. Paco de Lucia, etc. – Rumba Gitana
4. Bobby Fuller – 2,000 Pound Bee
5. Pinata Protest – Vato Perron
6. The Smoke – Gold is the Colour of Thought
7. Christian Death – Haloes
8. Muddy Waters – She’s Alright
9. Polka Floyd – Have a cigar
10. Churchills – Subsequent Final
11. Celia Cruz – La Bikina
12. The Quests – 26 Miles [/b]

Thanks again. I actually own the Expling Hearts CD. Always the way !!. I have most Game Theory (and Loud Family) but not Lolita Nation, so time to rectify that. Always happy to explore any roots stuff further and I'll certainly check out Pinata Protest.
We're way past rhubarb

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Apr 2022, 15:44

alright! Very very late for reasons I won't bore y'all with...

This month brought not one but two discs from Nick D. A mix disc and a bonus disc I plan to play tomorrow in the car. Thank you!

1. Now then! Kicks off like an electric donkey and then leaves heads into some Japanese pop thrill. Like it!
2. Another track I like a lot. Sounds ever so slightly like Trish Keenan as if she stumbled into the studio next door. Post punky fun.
3. Nothing But A Heartache- THE OLDIES ARE THE GOLDIES
4. Love this- vaguely shoegazey ladies -lovely harmonies
5. This is a bit dreampoppy and pleasant, but probably my least favourite track so far
6. Well, this is lovely and it sounds like it might be old, but it might also be new. Is it a cover? Love the keyboards
7. Ooh this is gorgeous. Right up my street. But who is it?
8. Ooh now then, this is nice. Beautiful voice. I have no idea who it is. Can't wait to find out! Don't think it's anyone I know.
9. LEAVE ME BE!!!!!
10. Another goodie with one lover lambasting another. Sounds sweet!
11. GIRLS TALK - never bad, whatever artist
12. FUCKING HELL THIS IS FANTASTIC AND I WANT TO KNOW WHO IT IS IMMEDIATELY!!!

Well Nick, sincere apologies for dropping the ball but wow was it worth the wait! A fabulous disc that I can't wait to find out about, especially track 12 hot DAMN!

Dr Markus wrote:

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 25 Apr 2022, 18:10

Minnie Cheddars wrote:alright! Very very late for reasons I won't bore y'all with...

This month brought not one but two discs from Nick D. A mix disc and a bonus disc I plan to play tomorrow in the car. Thank you!

1. Now then! Kicks off like an electric donkey and then leaves heads into some Japanese pop thrill. Like it!

All-girl Japanese trio StereoPony (2008)

2. Another track I like a lot. Sounds ever so slightly like Trish Keenan as if she stumbled into the studio next door. Post punky fun.

Japanese/American artist Mitski (2016)

3. Nothing But A Heartache- THE OLDIES ARE THE GOLDIES

The Flirtations

4. Love this- vaguely shoegazey ladies -lovely harmonies

Take Something by Hello Mary, 3 piece all girl indie/shoegaze band.

5. This is a bit dreampoppy and pleasant, but probably my least favourite track so far

This is Bliss Fields, a Toronto shoegaze band. (2021)

6. Well, this is lovely and it sounds like it might be old, but it might also be new. Is it a cover? Love the keyboards

This is Crystal Blue Persuasion by Tommy James and the Shondells. This was a number 2 hit in 1969.

7. Ooh this is gorgeous. Right up my street. But who is it?

The band is called Mint Field, a psych rock Mexican trio (2020)

8. Ooh now then, this is nice. Beautiful voice. I have no idea who it is. Can't wait to find out! Don't think it's anyone I know.

Ritual Union by Little Dragon, an electronic pop Swedish quartet. (2011)

9. LEAVE ME BE!!!!!

Yep, the Zombies!

10. Another goodie with one lover lambasting another. Sounds sweet!

Psychcastle by Taraka (2021)

11. GIRLS TALK - never bad, whatever artist

Linda Ronstadt

12. FUCKING HELL THIS IS FANTASTIC AND I WANT TO KNOW WHO IT IS IMMEDIATELY!!!

I'm Not Getting Excited - The Beths, a New Zealand indie rock group (2020)

Well Nick, sincere apologies for dropping the ball but wow was it worth the wait! A fabulous disc that I can't wait to find out about, especially track 12 hot DAMN!

Tracklist-

1. HitohiraNo Hanabira - StereoPony
2. Dan The Dancer - Mitski
3. Nothing But A Heartache - The Flirtations
4. Take Something - Hello Mary
5. What Kills You - Bliss Fields
6. Crystal Blue Persuasion - Tommy James and the Shondells
7. Nadie Te Esta Persiguiendo - Mint Field
8. Ritual Union - Little Dragon
9. Leave Me Be - The Zombies
10. Pyschocastle - Taraka
11. Girls Talk - Linda Ronstadt
12. I'm Not Getting Excited - The Beths

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Apr 2022, 22:37

Apologies for the tardiness. Enjoyable mix of mostly unfamiliar tracks, some right up my musical alley so to speak

1. Nice guitar pop, reminds me of something I can’t quite put my finger on, but the singer sounds Australian, like it a lot.

2. Choir gives way to sort of swampy blues , nice vocal

3. Nice slice of Rockabilly, which I love, not sure who this is tho

4. Great acoustic blues, by I know not who

5. Nice pop song about Happy Hour, singer sounds familiar

6. I really like this, great song, sounds like its from the seventies , nice guitar and vocal , again dont know who it is

7. Sixties sounding instrumental, but I think its modern, kind of sunshine pop.

8. Nice bluesy/soul guitar track. Enjoyable without being terribly special

9. Starts out as a jazzy version of Whiter Shade of Pale then goes off on another tangent
Interested to know who this is.

10. Like this a lot, snappy pop song, with a great melody, no idea again who it is

11, Neil and Times Fades Away - sometimes my favorite Neil album, wonderful.

12. Lovely 12 string pop, love this a lot, very interested to know who this is, short but very sweet

13. Very nice slice of funky soul, very tasty guitar work

14. Sounds like more Australian pop, like it very much, similar to the very first track. Great stuff

Very enjoyable mix, some great guitar pop, didn’t really dislike anything, and mostly unfamiliar
Looking forward to know the tracklist.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 26 Apr 2022, 09:09

Mike Boom wrote:Apologies for the tardiness. Enjoyable mix of mostly unfamiliar tracks, some right up my musical alley so to speak

1. Nice guitar pop, reminds me of something I can’t quite put my finger on, but the singer sounds Australian, like it a lot.

Mix begins and ends, as you spotted, with two lesser known Aussie bands. In fact substantially the same band as the first morphed into the second. First up The Sugargliders. They only ever released singles/EPs but there is a CD available which gathers everything in one place.

2. Choir gives way to sort of swampy blues , nice vocal

Melody Gardot. A fair bit of Nina channeling in her work. This album The Currency of Man, is excellent.

3. Nice slice of Rockabilly, which I love, not sure who this is tho

Perhaps the best album Johnny Cash never made. Dale Watson and the Texas Two

4. Great acoustic blues, by I know not who

One of the Blues big hitters - Rev gary Davis

5. Nice pop song about Happy Hour, singer sounds familiar

I have albums which are great by Cherry Twister, which I have used before on mixes,and from there got solo albums by main guy Steve Ward(beware there is more than one Steve Ward), Anyway recently discovered he started out with this band Fauna Flora, who only made the one album which is great.

6. I really like this, great song, sounds like its from the seventies , nice guitar and vocal , again dont know who it is

I've always known the name and took a punt when I saw a recent box set of first four albums. Glad I did - Philip Goodhand-Tait]

7. Sixties sounding instrumental, but I think its modern, kind of sunshine pop.

The Wondermints play the theme from Barbarella

8. Nice bluesy/soul guitar track. Enjoyable without being terribly special

Vintage Trouble who play a wide range from neo soul to crunchy blues rock a la ZZ top, alway hitting the groove.

9. Starts out as a jazzy version of Whiter Shade of Pale then goes off on another tangent
Interested to know who this is.

I made disc before the death of Gary Brooker, so this has turned out quite poignant WSOP without the vocal. This is Colosseum and track here is called Beware The Ides Of March. Mot a cover as such but similar vintage, so I guess this is just their treatment of the original Bach nelody.

10. Like this a lot, snappy pop song, with a great melody, no idea again who it is

Swedish pop from David Myhr of band The Merrymakers, also worth checking out

11, Neil and Times Fades Away - sometimes my favorite Neil album, wonderful.

Indeed. No idea whiy the daft old bugger still refuses to officially release this on CD

12. Lovely 12 string pop, love this a lot, very interested to know who this is, short but very sweet

REcent discovery - Tony Molina who certainly makes sure nothing outstays its welcome. All tracks a minute or so. Short and sweet.

13. Very nice slice of funky soul, very tasty guitar work

Glad you spotted the guitar as the guitarist is the featured artist here. Steve Cropper from an album of 5 Roayles covers, with various guest vocalists, here it's Steve Winwood.

14. Sounds like more Australian pop, like it very much, similar to the very first track. Great stuff

Sound similar for a reason as previously noted. The Steinbecks.

Very enjoyable mix, some great guitar pop, didn’t really dislike anything, and mostly unfamiliar
Looking forward to know the tracklist.

We aim to please

1. The Sugargliders - Ahprahran
2. Melody Gardot - Preacherman
3. Dale Watson - My Baby Makes Me Gravy
4. Rev. Gary Davis - Pure Religion
5. Fauna Flora - Happy Hour
6. Philip Goodhand-Tait - Jingle Jnagle Man
7. The Wondermints - Barbarella
8. Vintage Trouble - Before The Tear Drops
9. Colosseum - Beware The Ides of March
10. David Myhr - Loveblind
11. Neil Young - Time Fades Away
12. Tony Molina - Nothing I Can Say
13. Steve Cropper - Thirty SEcond lover
14. The Steinbecks - Homesickness

We're way past rhubarb

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 26 Apr 2022, 18:45

An interesting and entertaining mix has come my way -

1. This one is different and apropo of the times. Spoken word vocals with questions about war, war and peace, the viewpoints of war, what animals think about war, did we inherit war, is war as old as gravity - all accompanied by a techno, bass driven musicscape. More poetry than music but it held my attention.
2. Nice female vocal to a techno electronica backing. A plaintive cry for love. I like this a lot. The voice sounds familiar. Is this Sylvan Esso?
3. Similar by more shoegazy this time. It's ok but I didn't like it as much as the previous track.
4. Real instruments this time, very impressive female singer. This is beautiful. Another familiar sounding voice. I like this.
5. This is different. Started out kind of slow but there were surprises and changes in the arrangement to keep it interesting.
6. A laid back vocal over a techno beat. The percussion and effects are very interesting and soothing. Nice piano part. This has proved to be a grower, I'm hearing more and more every time I play it.
7. It seques nicely into this last track. In fact the whole mix seems well sequenced. This is calm and atmospheric but it didn't really go anywhere over the long length. I didn't connect with it.

Thanks mixer for an interesting mix. I'm really looking forward to the reveal.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 May 2022, 14:21

Glad you enjoyed (mostly)!
Will get to the reveal
Tomorrow x

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 May 2022, 02:22

Hello again Nick! Sorry again for the delay :D
I was a weird time, when I was mixing this. My first disc I was really unhappy with and it felt like a disc that I was trying to make for the sake of finding "new things" when all I wanted to do was make a disc of the same old stuff I normally do. I never keep track of what I have made for people and so I am sorry if it's full of the same old shit I normally burn.

Anyway dear, here's your reveal (you guessed one correctly)

1. Ryuichi Sakamoto- War and Peace
2. Sylvan Esso -Uncatena
3. Stereolab - Des Etoiles Electroniques
4. Sandy Denny - At The End Of The Day
5. Rufus Wainwright- Peach Trees
6. Madonna - Paradise
7. Harold Budd & Eno - Rosetti Noise/Chrystal Garden & a Coda

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Mix Club”