Aug/Sept 2020 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Nick Danger

Aug/Sept 2020 Reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 16 Sep 2020, 16:38

My mix this cycle has arrived entitled "Rich and Creamy". With the exception of the first cut I'm not sure about that but it is fun and entertaining.

1. Keith Moon is promoting a milkshake mix called Great Shakes. He had me at allo.
2. Starts off with an I Want Candy riff and goes into an Elvis impersonation/cover of Marie's The Name. Well done, especially the drums.
3. Mash up cover of El Paso and San Antonio Rose. The El Paso part is carried by an organ with a calliope flavor. Ok, but lost some charm on repeated listenings.
4. Fontella Bass coke commercial with her hit mashed up with the Things Go Better With Coke jingle. She had a voice.
5. Live cover of Day Tripper. Certainly different and interesting. Trippy vocals.
6. Punk cover of a tune that's familiar but it's not coming to me. Punk with a cockney accent is always fun.
7. Cover of Santo and Johnny's classic tune Sleepwalk complete with vocals. I didn't even know there were vocals to this. Nice female vocal.
8. Short growl, call letters?
9. Sounds like a Led Zeppelin cover, don't recognize the song, singer imitating Plant. The drummer does a nice restrained Bonham part. I could be wrong about all of this.
10. Nice guitar and drums, disembodied vocal, no idea who or what this is but I like it.
11. Now we have Johnny Cash telling me pepsi is the way to go. It's the cola war and Johnny's hard to argue with.
12. No idea what's going on here. The singer is talking about drinking and sounds like he's had a few. Not a highlight.
13. Familiar tune, British Invasion, I should know this. Noisy arrangement, it's ok.
14. Spanish language tune, no idea who it is but I like it.
15. Punky, sounds like a tv spy show theme. Fuzzy, fun and short. I like it.
16. Waves, birds, calypso flavor. Is this another coke commercial? Arriba!
17. Now we have Edie Adams trying to get me to try a Muriel cigar. Wants me to pick one up and smoke it sometime, the smart choice.

Thanks mixer. Like I said, maybe not so rich and creamy but certainly fun and entertaining.

pcqgod

Re: Aug/Sept 2020 Reviews

Postby pcqgod » 18 Sep 2020, 19:47

1. Keith Moon is promoting a milkshake mix called Great Shakes. He had me at allo.
2. Starts off with an I Want Candy riff and goes into an Elvis impersonation/cover of Marie's The Name. Well done, especially the drums.
El Vez, a/k/a Robert Lopez of The Zeros.
3. Mash up cover of El Paso and San Antonio Rose. The El Paso part is carried by an organ with a calliope flavor. Ok, but lost some charm on repeated listenings.
Los Texmaniacs, with a guest vocal from Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel.
4. Fontella Bass coke commercial with her hit mashed up with the Things Go Better With Coke jingle. She had a voice.
5. Live cover of Day Tripper. Certainly different and interesting. Trippy vocals.
Bad Brains, from their live album ‘The Youth are Getting Restless’
6. Punk cover of a tune that's familiar but it's not coming to me. Punk with a cockney accent is always fun.
Cock Sparrer, from their 1982 album ‘Shock Troops.’
7. Cover of Santo and Johnny's classic tune Sleepwalk complete with vocals. I didn't even know there were vocals to this. Nice female vocal.
1959 single by a singer named Betsy Brye
8. Short growl, call letters?
Radio station promo by The Who based on "Boris the Spider"
9. Sounds like a Led Zeppelin cover, don't recognize the song, singer imitating Plant. The drummer does a nice restrained Bonham part. I could be wrong about all of this.
1970’s group called Pandora that recorded one album and then disappeared.
10. Nice guitar and drums, disembodied vocal, no idea who or what this is but I like it.
The Replacements with an outtake from their 1985 ‘Tim’ album.
11. Now we have Johnny Cash telling me pepsi is the way to go. It's the cola war and Johnny's hard to argue with.
12. No idea what's going on here. The singer is talking about drinking and sounds like he's had a few. Not a highlight.
Gilbert O’Sullivan at his most lugubrious
13. Familiar tune, British Invasion, I should know this. Noisy arrangement, it's ok.
The Unclaimed, from the 1985 ROIR cassette-only release ‘Garage Sale.’
14. Spanish language tune, no idea who it is but I like it.
San Antonio group The Krayolas covering the Ramones en Espanol. From their 2013 album ‘Tormenta’
15. Punky, sounds like a tv spy show theme. Fuzzy, fun and short. I like it.
Davey Allan and the Arrows from the 1966 soundtrack album for ‘The Wild Angels.’
16. Waves, birds, calypso flavor. Is this another coke commercial? Arriba!
Northwest rockers The Fabulous Wailers
17. Now we have Edie Adams trying to get me to try a Muriel cigar. Wants me to pick one up and smoke it sometime, the smart choice.

1. The Who – Great Shakes
2. El Vez – Maria’s the Name
3. Los Texmaniacs – San Antonio Rose
4. Fontella Bass – Coke
5. Bad Brains – Day Tripper/She’s a Rainbow
6. Cock Sparrer – Take ‘em All
7. Betsy Brye – Sleepwalk
8. The Who - Radio One
9. Pandora – You’re My Woman
10. The Replacements – Nowhere is my Home
11. Johnny Cash – Pepsi
12. Gilbert O’Sullivan – Disappear (demo)
13. The Unclaimed – Walk on the Water
14. The Krayolas – Quiero Ser Tu Novio (I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend)
15. Davie Allan – The Dark Alley
16. The Fabulous Wailers – We’re Going Surfin’
17. Edie Adams for Muriel Cigars

Glad you enjoyed at least some of it!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 24 Sep 2020, 21:15

Okay, here is my review:

Track one starts as a mellow pop song then turns into a punky rave-up. Nice female vocals.

Track two has a rousing Gaelic folk quality to it with shouted "heys!" although the song is played with modern rock instruments. The singer has a similar vocal quality to Roger Waters.

Track three is an evocative acoustic guitar/vocal piece that reminds me of a Budgie song before the loud guitars come in, except loud guitars never come in. Very nice.

Track four is a pleasantly melodic mid-tempo rock/pop song with some wonderful electric guitar leads and feedback.

Track five is a funky soul number with terrific rhythm guitar throughout, sung mostly in a high falsetto by the male vocalist.

Track six is a pleasant enough folky acoustic number performed, I suspect, by guys who all have Civil War beards.

Track seven in upbeat country number with female vocals. Could be a modern country artist, though the vocals remind me greatly of the 90’s alt band Mary’s Danish.

Track eight is a great pop/rock song with a nice repeating guitar riff and vocals that sound like The Bangles.

Track nine is a pretty folk/rock number. Sixties feel to it.

Track ten is 60’s Jamaican ska. Don’t know who it is, but I like it a lot.

Track eleven is a catchy pop-rock song. Sounds familiar but I can’t place it.

Track twelve is an upbeat melodic pop-rock song with alternating male and female vocals. Some nice slide guitar on this one.

Track thirteen is a late-60’s number from noted Covid conspiracy theorist Van Morrison, although I can’t recall the title. Love the ragged guitar on this.

Track fourteen is, I’m pretty sure, Curtis Mayfield/Impressions.

Track fifteen is a breezy, kick your shoes off at the end of the day kind of big band instrumental.

Very enjoyable mix! I liked every song on this one.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 29 Sep 2020, 15:34

pcqgod wrote:Okay, here is my review:

Track one starts as a mellow pop song then turns into a punky rave-up. Nice female vocals.

A recently discoverd band - Remember Sports

Track two has a rousing Gaelic folk quality to it with shouted "heys!" although the song is played with modern rock instruments. The singer has a similar vocal quality to Roger Waters.

From my fvorite Skids album, The Absolute Game

Track three is an evocative acoustic guitar/vocal piece that reminds me of a Budgie song before the loud guitars come in, except loud guitars never come in. Very nice.

Terry Reid from his sef titled album, shich has his best known songs (Superlungs, SIlver White LIght)

Track four is a pleasantly melodic mid-tempo rock/pop song with some wonderful electric guitar leads and feedback.

Be Bop Deluxe from their debut album

Track five is a funky soul number with terrific rhythm guitar throughout, sung mostly in a high falsetto by the male vocalist.

The wonderful and slightly scary and mad Darondo. Only one album made but this is from the other CD made up of various unreleased sessions

Track six is a pleasant enough folky acoustic number performed, I suspect, by guys who all have Civil War beards.

Clem Snide. Certainly beardage of sorts going on....

Track seven in upbeat country number with female vocals. Could be a modern country artist, though the vocals remind me greatly of the 90’s alt band Mary’s Danish.

This is Lone Justice from one of two availbale early demos collections. Rawer and more country than they went on to become. Maria McKee sure can belt it out

Track eight is a great pop/rock song with a nice repeating guitar riff and vocals that sound like The Bangles.

It is indeed THe Bangles. I've really been getting into the two albums they made after reforming. Some really good stuff.

Track nine is a pretty folk/rock number. Sixties feel to it.

Sixtes indeed - The Rose Garden. Only ever mae one album, but the available CD has all demos b sides etc included. Some of the demos were made with Gene Clark

Track ten is 60’s Jamaican ska. Don’t know who it is, but I like it a lot.

THe top man himself - Desmond Dekker

Track eleven is a catchy pop-rock song. Sounds familiar but I can’t place it.

ONe of my favorite underrated pop/powerpop bands The NInes. Clearly McCartney influence going on.

Track twelve is an upbeat melodic pop-rock song with alternating male and female vocals. Some nice slide guitar on this one.

You seem to have fairly eclectic taste like me, so mix was mainly stuff just picked to reflect that. THis was perhaps the only targeted track as I noticed that like me you like stuff like this (going by your spot of Velocity Girl on a previous mix and your favourable comments to Alvvays and Camera Obscura in other mixes you'd received, so looked for something n that broad area. The band here is Allo Darlin

Track thirteen is a late-60’s number from noted Covid conspiracy theorist Van Morrison, although I can’t recall the title. Love the ragged guitar on this.

From the complete Bang Masters set. THat and the companion Complete THem with Van 3CD set are essential I'd say. I just love that , well yelp is the only way to describe it. I can only think of Steve Winwood with such chops at such an early age.

Track fourteen is, I’m pretty sure, Curtis Mayfield/Impressions.

Yep Impressions from the great THis is My Country/Young Mods Forgotten Story twofer

Track fifteen is a breezy, kick your shoes off at the end of the day kind of big band instrumental.

I'm old enough to (just about) remember Richard Chamberlain as DR Kildare in black and white TV days. This is Getz's version of the theme song.
Very enjoyable mix! I liked every song on this one.

My pleasure as always

1. Remember Sports - Otherwise
2. The Skids - Hurry On Boys
3. Terry Reid - July
4. Be Bop Deluxe - Jet Silver And The Dolls Of Venus
5, Darondo - Gimme Some
6. Clem Snide - The Suff of Us
7. Lone Justice - Drgstore Cowboy
8. Te Bangles - Anna Lee
9. The Rose Garden - Look What You've Done
10. Desmond Dekker- Unity
11. The Nines - Sister Louisiana
12. Allo Darlin - Dreaming
13. Van Morrison - Joe Harper Saturday Morning
14. The Impressions - Seven Years
15. Stan Getz - Theme from Dr kildare

We're way past rhubarb

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 02 Oct 2020, 05:46

The Fish wrote:
1. Remember Sports - Otherwise
2. The Skids - Hurry On Boys
3. Terry Reid - July
4. Be Bop Deluxe - Jet Silver And The Dolls Of Venus
5, Darondo - Gimme Some
6. Clem Snide - The Suff of Us
7. Lone Justice - Drgstore Cowboy
8. Te Bangles - Anna Lee
9. The Rose Garden - Look What You've Done
10. Desmond Dekker- Unity
11. The Nines - Sister Louisiana
12. Allo Darlin - Dreaming
13. Van Morrison - Joe Harper Saturday Morning
14. The Impressions - Seven Years
15. Stan Getz - Theme from Dr kildare

I've been meaning to check out The Skids forever. I'm actually a Facebook friend of Steve Eggers of The Nines, so that explains why he sounded familiar.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 02 Oct 2020, 16:27

Enjoyable disc from Mr Danger...

1) Folky but mixed with a mellow country rock kind of vibe. Like this. Reminds me of Matthews Southern Comfort
2) This is great and I'm sure I should recognise the voice. Lovely.
3) Just about everything I love about soul in one track.
4) It wouldn't be a Nick Danger mix without a pure folk track, and as ever this is a good'un
5) Easy going and melodic. This has the feel of early 70s Brill songcraft giving way to the rise of the singer/songwriter
although could be way out with that.
6) If this isn't Smokey it's someone sounding similar. Smooth as silk.
7) The mellow country rock vibe returns. Pleasant for sure and I do like it although not too much to
grab attention in an overcrowded genre.
8) Classic American folk. Again feel I should recognise the voice. Eric Andersen, Tom Rush, someone like that.
9) Junior Walker - fabulous
10) You like your folk don't you. Luckily as you know so do I. This one is unusual by being sung in what I think is
Gaelic. THe only artist I can think of who regularly sings in Gaelic is Julie Fowlis, but this could be anybody.
11) Easy listening / sunshine pop. I'm a sucker for this sort of thing,
12) John Moreland really is great. If you're looking for thr KIng of roots/Americana
I'd say he's the only competition Jason Isbell has right now
13) It tears me up hearing this album.
This tile track (Ghost on the Canvas) is great although the one that really gets me is Any Trouble
14) Classic Motown - jimmy Ruffin
15) This sounds like Jethro Tull,a band I'm somewhat ambivalent about. Like the early bluesy stuff,
like some of the folky stuff can't be doing wit the proggy stuff. Ths one was OK.
16) So way back when BCB US get toethers were an annual event, a group of us rolled up in Austin, would have been 2009 and
I recall one evening turning to Baron and saying somethong along the lines of It doesn't get better than this.
THe combination that produced this moment of Nirvana was sitting n the bar of the swanky Driskill hotel, cold beer in hand
and Bob WIlls playing over the speakers.
We're way past rhubarb

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 03 Oct 2020, 14:11

The Fish wrote:Enjoyable disc from Mr Danger...

1) Folky but mixed with a mellow country rock kind of vibe. Like this. Reminds me of Matthews Southern Comfort

It is Ian Matthews with Knowing The Game.

2) This is great and I'm sure I should recognise the voice. Lovely.

It's Kenny Roby (formerly of Six String Drag) from a solo album.

3) Just about everything I love about soul in one track.

Expressway To Your Heat by the Soul Survivors. This was a number 4 US hit in 1967.

4) It wouldn't be a Nick Danger mix without a pure folk track, and as ever this is a good'un

Geordie by Julie Felix. She was a regular on The Frost Report and had her own BBC show for a couple of years.

5) Easy going and melodic. This has the feel of early 70s Brill songcraft giving way to the rise of the singer/songwriter
although could be way out with that.

This is a Canadian group called Edward Bear. This was a top five US hit in 1972. From researching it I found out that Edward Bear was the original name of East Sussex's own Winnie the Pooh.

6) If this isn't Smokey it's someone sounding similar. Smooth as silk.

Yep, it's Smokey.

7) The mellow country rock vibe returns. Pleasant for sure and I do like it although not too much to
grab attention in an overcrowded genre.

This is an Australian aboriginal singer named June Mills (Gunlucki Nimul), from the Larrakia tribe.

8) Classic American folk. Again feel I should recognise the voice. Eric Andersen, Tom Rush, someone like that.

Definitely a guy you know, Gordon Lightfoot with Sit Down Young Stranger.

9) Junior Walker - fabulous

Yep.

10) You like your folk don't you. Luckily as you know so do I. This one is unusual by being sung in what I think is
Gaelic. THe only artist I can think of who regularly sings in Gaelic is Julie Fowlis, but this could be anybody.

It's an Irish rock trio called Macmurrough (1974) who hail from Wexford.

11) Easy listening / sunshine pop. I'm a sucker for this sort of thing,

The Buckinghams with Don't You Care, a number 6 US hit (1967).

12) John Moreland really is great. If you're looking for thr KIng of roots/Americana
I'd say he's the only competition Jason Isbell has right now

Harder Dreams (2015)

13) It tears me up hearing this album.
This tile track (Ghost on the Canvas) is great although the one that really gets me is Any Trouble

He was still in great voice on this final album.

14) Classic Motown - jimmy Ruffin

One of my favorite songs.

15) This sounds like Jethro Tull,a band I'm somewhat ambivalent about. Like the early bluesy stuff,
like some of the folky stuff can't be doing wit the proggy stuff. Ths one was OK.

Yep.

16) So way back when BCB US get toethers were an annual event, a group of us rolled up in Austin, would have been 2009 and
I recall one evening turning to Baron and saying somethong along the lines of It doesn't get better than this.
THe combination that produced this moment of Nirvana was sitting n the bar of the swanky Driskill hotel, cold beer in hand
and Bob WIlls playing over the speakers.

It's Bob with Warm Red Wine.

I've listened to this many times myself. It was a lot of fun to make.

Tracklist-

1. Knowing The Game - Ian Matthews
2. Memories And Birds - Kenny Roby
3. Expressway To Your Heart - The Soul Survivors
4. Geordie - Julie Felix
5. Last Song - Edward Bear
6. More Love - Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
7. I'll Be The One - June Mills
8. Sit Down Young Stranger - Gordon Lightfoot
9. Pucker Up Buttercup - Jr. Walker and the All Stars
10. Cuan Bhaile Na Cuirte - Macmurrough
11. Don't You Care - The Buckinghams
12. Harder Dreams - John Moreland
13. Ghost On The Canvas - Glen Campbell
14. What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted - Jimmy Ruffin
15. Reasons For Waiting - Jethro Tull
16. Warm Red Wine - Bob Wills

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Oct 2020, 23:04

Alright sender!
Here we go:

1. Now then - I am familiar with this (great) song, but not by this artist, so of course this is going to drive me bananas until the reveal!
2. I can't pin down a year to this great little ditty at all, but it's great
3. Well, this is Morrissey's Skin Storm, but I don't recognise the artist. It's great, though!
4. Sheela Na Gig!
5. This is a quite lovely tune about America: I'm very taken with the vocals.
6. Not sure what to make of this song about animals on wheels. I like the lyrics, but the whole thing sounds a bit too Gwen Stefani-ish for my comfort.
7. This sounds rather like Laura Marling
8. After about a minute in, this song really started to get on my tits, and I fast forwarded it (sorry)
9. Going to Acapulco, and a cracking version I might add
10. I demand to know why I haven't heard this wonderful song before! Tell me who it is, NOW!
11. Fleetwood Mac!
12. Laura Nyro! (fucking hell, I know two songs in a row!)
13. Whiter Shade of Pale as played by the orchestra who did the theme tune to "Taxi" ?
14. Bryan Ferry's Help Me Make it Through The Night.

Now then, this was quite a mix! The things I didn't like (7 & 8 ) I really didn't like, but a lot of this was new to me and full of some cracking stuff. I can't wait to see the reveal! Cheers, mixer!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 06 Oct 2020, 02:27

Minnie the Minx wrote:Alright sender!
Here we go:

1. Now then - I am familiar with this (great) song, but not by this artist, so of course this is going to drive me bananas until the reveal!
2. I can't pin down a year to this great little ditty at all, but it's great
3. Well, this is Morrissey's Skin Storm, but I don't recognise the artist. It's great, though!
4. Sheela Na Gig!
5. This is a quite lovely tune about America: I'm very taken with the vocals.
6. Not sure what to make of this song about animals on wheels. I like the lyrics, but the whole thing sounds a bit too Gwen Stefani-ish for my comfort.
7. This sounds rather like Laura Marling
8. After about a minute in, this song really started to get on my tits, and I fast forwarded it (sorry)
9. Going to Acapulco, and a cracking version I might add
10. I demand to know why I haven't heard this wonderful song before! Tell me who it is, NOW!
11. Fleetwood Mac!
12. Laura Nyro! (fucking hell, I know two songs in a row!)
13. Whiter Shade of Pale as played by the orchestra who did the theme tune to "Taxi" ?
14. Bryan Ferry's Help Me Make it Through The Night.

Now then, this was quite a mix! The things I didn't like (7 & 8 ) I really didn't like, but a lot of this was new to me and full of some cracking stuff. I can't wait to see the reveal! Cheers, mixer!

1 Little Hands Skip Spence from the Oar album. Ex Moby Grape
2 The One The Lemon Twigs Songs for the General Public
3 Skin Storm Bradford The original version.
4 Sheela-Na-Gig PJ Harvey
5 See America Grant-Lee Phillips from the Mobilize album
6 Animals On Wheels Sam Phillips Omnipop (It's Only a Flesh Wound Lampchop)
7 Held Down Laura Marling Song For Our Daughter
8 Life Thru the Same Lens A Girl Called Eddy .Can’t believe you hate A Girl Called Eddy !
9 Goin' to Acapulco Calexico I'm Not There (Original Soundtrack)
10 Pinball Brian Protheroe A big hit single from 1974
11 Save Me a Place Velvet Crush from Soft Sounds A Fleetwood Mac cover from Tusk
12 When I Was a Freeport and You Were the Main Drag Laura Nyro
13 A Whiter Shade of Pale King Curtis .The intro music from Withnail and from I Live At the Fillmore West
14 Help Me Make It Through The Night Bryan Ferry Another Time, Another Place

Glad you heard some new things you liked. Was fun to make.

Review coming soon

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Oct 2020, 16:13

Track 1
Nice guitar riff , I think this is Arctic Monkeys, a band I never really connected with , must be an age thing, but I like this.

Track 2
Interesting sort of electro cover of Boy With The Thorn in his Side. Singer sounds like Ian Brown. Nice

Track 3
Not sure who this is, punk track about Thinking About the USA

Track 4
Really like this, very unusual little instrumental with a lovely melody, interested to know who this is

Track 5
FGTHs cover of Born to Run, surprisingly successful , nice to hear after all this time, I must dig Pleasure Dome out

Track 6
Dead Set On Destruction Husker Du, love this, wonderful band, classic and timeless track. Takes me back to Glastonbury 87!

Track 7
No idea who this is, vocal sounds a bit like Nico on mogadon, but having listened to it a few times it gets better with each listen, ended up quite liking this.

Track 8
Is giving me the correct answers of something in various languages. lol, if only I knew the questions.

Track 9
Really ike this, new to me. Nice piano base balled and great vocal, very interested to know who this is.

Thanks to my mixer. A of fun to listen to, short and sweet, and lots of variety and interesting new things to me. Especially liked Tracks 4, 7 and 9. And special thanks for the wonderful accompanying artwork !

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Oct 2020, 00:16

Hey! Sorry, I missed that you had reviewed this!
Ok, let's reveal:

1. Mardy Bum, Arctic Monkeys
2. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, Bis
3. Think of the USA, Eater
4. Bumble A Bumble B Bumble C Bumble D, Fonda 500
5. Born to Run- FGTH
6. Dead Set on Destruction,Husker Du. Hey, were you at Glastonbury that year? Me too!!!!
7. She's Having a Baby - The Knife (The Knife are splendid, glad you liked)
8 .Let's Go Out- Kitsnik & Kingisepp - some of my Estonian language tapes!
9: Brandy Alexander- Feist

So glad you enjoyed some of it!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 20 Oct 2020, 21:30

Minnie the Minx wrote:6. Dead Set on Destruction,Husker Du. Hey, were you at Glastonbury that year? Me too!!!!

I was indeed, stoned to smithereens, in my little tent trying in vain to avoid the mud

Return to “Mix Club”