September reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
The Fish
Beer Battered

September reviews

Postby The Fish » 29 Sep 2019, 16:27

THought I was late but looks like I'm first.

Disc from Nick Danger, who definitely knows what I like. Thanks for bonus disc which got me wondering what my own favourite “Rain” songs might be, I meant to do this before leaving for NYC and Portland but didn’t quite get round to it.
There were quite a few on this disc that sounded familiar, which may or may not be who they sound like.

1) Easy to damn with faint praise as similar to loads of things I’ve heard before and generic, but at the end of the day this is the stuff that’s right in my zone, it’s good and I like it.
2) Sounds a lot like Lucinda bit not sure it is. Mary Gauthier maybe. Good whoever it is.
3) I’m a sucker for the whole blues shouters/jump jive thing. Sounds like Tiny Bradshaw but again good whoever it is.
4) I know you like your traditional folk, as indeed do I. Here sung largely acapella and lovely.
5) Very Elton John-ish and certainly has that 70s singer songwriter feel. I like this too.
6) Glen Campbell-ish this time. Love this.
7) Great country blues, This one reminds me of Chris Smither
8) Back in track 4 territory. Same a capella treatment and same positive response from me.
9) This one sounds a hell of a lot like Joe Henry, one of my absolute favourites. As I can’t immediately place it I’d say if it is it would be from Short Man’s Room, the one I play the least , being the least quintessential JH, but I would need to revisit as this is great (Or of course check artist out further of not JH)
10) Coming back to this mix to review, I’d forgotten just how much folk there was on this mix. Not that I’m complaining.
11) Well this one sounds exactly like Roy Orbison and it has to be him, doesn’t it ? Great of course.
12) I liked this more on repeated listens but initially was a bit of a damp squib as the intro promises some great girl group/Spector epic and falls a bit flat, but on ots own terms it's fine.
13) Female singer sings proper Country music. What’s not to like.
14) MY favourite track here. Byrds jangle with a hint of baroque pop. Fabulous.
15) Judy Henske-ish. Country folk with a dark southern gothic feel.
16) Love this stuff. Old time coubtry. Sounds like The Sons of the Pioneers.
Great mix as usual. Thanks.
We're way past rhubarb

pcqgod

Re: September reviews

Postby pcqgod » 30 Sep 2019, 02:35

A fun, eclectic mix.

Track one is an endearingly rough garage rocker. Sounds like Bryan Gregory of The Cramps on guitar.

Track two is a fun Tex-Mex jam with Spanish trumpets and ? Mark and the Mysterians style organ. Love this track.

Track three is a lovely pop song. Maybe a bit too upbeat to be called dream pop, but something in that musical neighborhood.

Track four is a good, upbeat bluesy rocker, on the primitive side.

Track five starts off with a very folksy acoustic guitar part, but the vocal sounds more like pop.

Track six sounds vaguely familiar but I can’t place it. It features prominent piano, and baroque style melody. Something from the tail end of the psychedelic era.

Track seven is “Spacehead” by the Primitives, which few people realize was written about me.

Track eight is an atmospheric, Southern Gothic kind of track. The vocalist sounds like Roy Orbison on the choruses.

Track nine is an alternative rock track with a nasally male vocalist alternating with a female vocalist with a very pretty voice.

Track ten is a vintage Afro-Caribbean jam with terrific percussion. I love this kind of stuff.

Track eleven is a very catchy 60’s era sunshine pop song that I’m about 99% sure is by The Lemon Pipers.

Track twelve is, as I recall, the second track on the second album by Velocity Girl, and a very fine track (and album for that matter) indeed. I can’t recall the title off the top of my head.

Track thirteen is a good rockabilly jam, complete with twangy guitar, rim shot percussion and hiccupy vocals.

Track fourteen is an old-time Appalachian country-folk song in the mold of The Carter Family.

Track fifteen is an interesting modern psychedelic number with wah wah guitar and dramatic orchestration.

Thanks to the Fish for this. Looking forward to the reveal.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 30 Sep 2019, 21:08

Disc from Nick Danger, who definitely knows what I like. Thanks for bonus disc which got me wondering what my own favourite “Rain” songs might be, I meant to do this before leaving for NYC and Portland but didn’t quite get round to it.
There were quite a few on this disc that sounded familiar, which may or may not be who they sound like.

1) Easy to damn with faint praise as similar to loads of things I’ve heard before and generic, but at the end of the day this is the stuff that’s right in my zone, it’s good and I like it.

Walking On My Grave - The Cartwrights ((1995)

2) Sounds a lot like Lucinda bit not sure it is. Mary Gauthier maybe. Good whoever it is.

What an ear! It is Mary Gauthier.

3) I’m a sucker for the whole blues shouters/jump jive thing. Sounds like Tiny Bradshaw but again good whoever it is.

Pot Likker by Todd Rhodes and his Orchestra.

4) I know you like your traditional folk, as indeed do I. Here sung largely acapella and lovely.

This is by a duo called the Silly Sisters which was a side project for Maddy Prior and June Tabor. They recorded two albums under this name, one in the 70s and one in the 80s. This is from the first one.

5) Very Elton John-ish and certainly has that 70s singer songwriter feel. I like this too.

Jessie - Joshua Kadison (1993).

6) Glen Campbell-ish this time. Love this.

This is Glen with a deeper cut from one of his mid sixties albums.

7) Great country blues, This one reminds me of Chris Smither

J J Cale

8) Back in track 4 territory. Same a capella treatment and same positive response from me.

I was totally unfamiliar with this singer, Fran Foote, but I thought this was just a beautiful acapella rendition of The Irish Girl.

9) This one sounds a hell of a lot like Joe Henry, one of my absolute favourites. As I can’t immediately place it I’d say if it is it would be from Short Man’s Room, the one I play the least , being the least quintessential JH, but I would need to revisit as this is great (Or of course check artist out further of not JH)

It is JH. The song is Reckless Child and it is from SMR.

10) Coming back to this mix to review, I’d forgotten just how much folk there was on this mix. Not that I’m complaining.

Bristol instrumental band Spino.

11) Well this one sounds exactly like Roy Orbison and it has to be him, doesn’t it ? Great of course.

I was flipping through the channels and came across Orbison's movie Fastest Guitar Alive. He was sitting by a river singing this song, called River. I had never heard it before but I loved it.

12) I liked this more on repeated listens but initially was a bit of a damp squib as the intro promises some great girl group/Spector epic and falls a bit flat, but on ots own terms it's fine.

This is another example of a solo artist creating a band name to record under. The band name is Japanese Breakfast and the solo artist is Michelle Zauner who isn't even Japanese but Korean - American.

13) Female singer sings proper Country music. What’s not to like.

I Cried Again - Terry White (1996)

14) MY favourite track here. Byrds jangle with a hint of baroque pop. Fabulous.

The Monkees with Sometime In The Morning off their second album.

15) Judy Henske-ish. Country folk with a dark southern gothic feel.

This is Mother Maybelle's youngest daughter Anita. This track is the only solo song I've heard by her but I so loved her voice I ordered one of her compilations.

16) Love this stuff. Old time coubtry. Sounds like The Sons of the Pioneers.

It is the Pioneers with Tumbling Tumbleweeds from the mid thirties.

Great mix as usual. Thanks.
A lot of fun to make as usual.

Tracklist-

1. Walking On My Grave - The Cartwrights
2. Empty Spaces - Mary Gauthier
3. Pot Likker - Todd Rhodes and his Orchestra
4. Silver Whistles - The Silly Sisters
5. Jessie - Joshua Kadison
6. Cold December - Glen Campbell
7. Lights Down Low - J J Cale
8. The Irish Girl - Fran Foote
9. Reckless Child - Joe Henry
10. Lost In Fishponds - Spino
11. River - Roy Orbison
12. Boyish - Japanese Breakfast
13. I Cried Again - Terry White
14. Sometime In The Morning - The Monkees
15. Satan's Child - Anita Carter
16. Tumbling Tumbleweeds - The Sons Of The Pioneers

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Oct 2019, 12:28

On Saturday I sat and did a review of my disc, which had then timed out when I hit send!
Patience please sender, I’ll have another go this weekend!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 04 Oct 2019, 14:37

A fun and entertaining mix for me this time with some real standouts.

1. This one proved to be a grower. Very appealing and more going on musically than I first thought. Good start.
2. An African ensemble that also sounds oriental in parts. I like.
3. A familiar sounding voice, good musicians, like the arrangement and the mood it sets.
4. Synthy electronica feel, very nice vocals, modern, love the musicality and arrangement. Lots of changes and ideas. A winner.
5. Now we're rocking, a tight band, lots of passion, angry and political. Nice guitar playing.
6. This interesting, high female vocal and then later a male, not sure of the language, sounds Asian. Good use of horns. Kind of dramatic.
7. I never really connected with this. It kind of passed me by each time. Interesting percussion and rhythm but . .
8. We have horses, chickens?, spoken word, all kinds of samples. Generally chaotic and fun. A distinctive finish for sure.

Thanks mixer, good job.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Oct 2019, 01:05

My disc review!!!

1.A short one with piano to start with that I am almost convinced is Alex Chilton. It's sweet! Also menacing.
2.Sweet voiced ditty with lots of nice guitars about divine intervention. Not a million miles from Big Star actually. I like it.
3.I GUESS I'M DUMB!!! (wonderful, of course....)
4.A very lovely song about Jennifer. Can't work out just how old this is...almost sounds intentionally retro.
5.JONI ! Don Juan's Reckless Daughter... wonderful
6.Dive Into Yesterday! I don't know who recorded this - I think it's been done a few times. Can't say it's up my street but I'm very familiar with it!
7.NOW THEN! This is the Incredible String Band,yes? I haven't heard this song, but I've been waiting to go on a bit of a ISB splurge having only just connected with them. And this hasn't changed my mind!
8.Nature Boy! Nat!
9.Kate & Anna. Oh god, these women skin me alive. Wonderful.
10.Gosh, I've heard this over the years - I mean decades - and I have no idea who it is. But I really like it!
11.DEERHUNTER - splendid
12.Oooh you! Are you trying to make me cry?Life in Northern Town - Dream Academy. Gorgeous.
13.A very gorgeous song about long hair. I love the sounds of the strumming on the intro to this coming through the headphones.
14.I'm going to guess that this is George Harrison - yes? Sweet.
I am fucking annoyed about my previous review timing out because my previous reviews were much more detailed and now I am focused on just getting this out which seems like a disservice. I really enjoyed this disc, sender, and the only track I didn't care for was number 6. I can't wait for some of these reveals. you pressed most of my buttons. This will be an ideal car ride disc. Thank you so much!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Oct 2019, 01:25

1. This one proved to be a grower. Very appealing and more going on musically than I first thought. Good start.

Cleopatra by Adam and the Antz!

2. An African ensemble that also sounds oriental in parts. I like.

Buribalal by Afel Bocoum. I got turned onto this via a music mag compilation and then listened to a lot more of his stuff which makes me sound like a total novice, but that's what those discs are fucking for so there's no point pretending I've been listening to him since the 1970s, man :D

3. A familiar sounding voice, good musicians, like the arrangement and the mood it sets.

Alex Cornish: "Once More I'm Put To The Test" - I don't like a great deal that he has done, but I do like the late Radiohead feel of this.

4. Synthy electronica feel, very nice vocals, modern, love the musicality and arrangement. Lots of changes and ideas. A winner.

I am SO glad you like this! This is All Saints and Black Coffee. All Saints were not considered "cool" by many. I fucking loved them.This is a killer track.

5. Now we're rocking, a tight band, lots of passion, angry and political. Nice guitar playing.

Yes! Angelic Upstarts - Murder of Liddle Towers!

6. This interesting, high female vocal and then later a male, not sure of the language, sounds Asian. Good use of horns. Kind of dramatic.

Asha Bhosle and Mohammed Rafi - Chura Liya Hai Tum Ne! The horns make this for me.

7. I never really connected with this. It kind of passed me by each time. Interesting percussion and rhythm but . .

Vibrate on by Augustus Pablo... it's not actually all that engaging is it? I empathise!

8. We have horses, chickens?, spoken word, all kinds of samples. Generally chaotic and fun. A distinctive finish for sure.

The Avalanches and Frontier Psychiatrist. Great innit?

You may have noticed a theme here. The theme is ALL THE "A"s!

Glad you enjoyed!

Dr Markus wrote:

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 05 Oct 2019, 21:08

Have really enjoyed listening to this disc, hit my penchant for obscure seventies rock pop fair and square.

Track 1
Been enjoying this track a lot, like Van Halen doing a cover of Led Zeppelin doing a cover of Smokey.
Rockist fun. Love the seventies production - ear candy to me.

Track 2
Route 66 - Da Stonez - love it to death

Track 3
Favorite track on the disc
Reminds of some kindof Kansas/Styx crossover. Very keen to know who this is, it has some brilliant touches , not the least the Queenesque backing vocals. Been playing this a lot

Track 4
Van the Man and Them , not sure of the track, but what a great band. Fantastic of course

Track 5
Nice atmospheric track, very slinky James Bond Theme vibe. Interested in who this. Love the strings

Track 6
I love me some Hawaiin music - proud owner and strummer of a uke myself, my favorite place is at the Tiki bar.

Track 7
oooh a bit of Byrdsian studio chatter - The Byrds - Bells of Rhymney

Track 8
Nice very nice acoustic guitar work from someone - I have no idea who

Track 9
Really love this track - and I know it but can’t place it - bunnymenish / teardopish - seriously great guitars.

Track 10
This is the Creation, don't know the track great stuff , love these guys

Track 11
Sabbath 4 Laguna Sunrise from the greatest year in rock music history 1972. Beautiful acoustic playing. Fantastic album

Track 12
Don’t know who this is , very seventies , but Im a sucker for this sort of thing

Track 13
This sounds like Judee Sill doing Joni Mitchell, but I don’t think it is. Nice cover tho

Track 14
Sixties beat combo pop track not sure who it is, but nice organ!

Track 15
Another seventies track - sounds kinda Bandfingerish , but can’t place it - great stuff very interested to know who this is

Track 16
Some freaky phased backwards effects to finish

Thanks a lot to mixer , apologies for the lateness.
Last edited by Mike Boom on 06 Oct 2019, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 05 Oct 2019, 21:35

Glad the disc was a hit!

1.A short one with piano to start with that I am almost convinced is Alex Chilton. It's sweet! Also menacing.
Morpha Too Big Star - yes indeed, sweet but menacing is a good way to put it. I love the Big Star piano songs.

2.Sweet voiced ditty with lots of nice guitars about divine intervention. Not a million miles from Big Star actually. I like it.
Divine Intervention Matthew Sweet from the great Girlfriend album

3.I GUESS I'M DUMB!!! (wonderful, of course....)
Guess I'm Dumb Glen Campbell

4.A very lovely song about Jennifer. Can't work out just how old this is...almost sounds intentionally retro.
Jennifer Bert Sommer - originally from the Left Banke , he was the third artist on at Woodstock. He's in at least one cut of the movie singing this song

5.JONI ! Don Juan's Reckless Daughter... wonderful
Don Juan's Reckless Daughter Joni Mitchell, title track from my fave album of hers.

6.Dive Into Yesterday! I don't know who recorded this - I think it's been done a few times. Can't say it's up my street but I'm very familiar with it!
Dive Into Yesterday Kaleidoscope

7.NOW THEN! This is the Incredible String Band,yes? I haven't heard this song, but I've been waiting to go on a bit of a ISB splurge having only just connected with them. And this hasn't changed my mind!
The Half-Remarkable Question The Incredible String Band - not a fan of everything they did, but I love this track.

8.Nature Boy! Nat!
Nature Boy The Nat "King" Cole Trio

9.Kate & Anna. Oh god, these women skin me alive. Wonderful.
Talk to Me of Mendocino Kate & Anna Mpcgarrigle Their vocals are so spookily co joined in harmony, its just a beautiful sound.

10.Gosh, I've heard this over the years - I mean decades - and I have no idea who it is. But I really like it!
When I Was a Freeport and You Were the Main Drag Laura Nyro

11.DEERHUNTER - splendid
Dream Captain Deerhunter

12.Oooh you! Are you trying to make me cry?Life in Northern Town - Dream Academy. Gorgeous.
Life In a Northern Town The Dream Academy - another personal fave, wonderful 80s production

13.A very gorgeous song about long hair. I love the sounds of the strumming on the intro to this coming through the headphones.
Her Hair Hangs Long Gorky's Zygotic Mynci from the album "How I Long To Feel The Summer In My Heart" from 2001

14.I'm going to guess that this is George Harrison - yes? Sweet.
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea George Harrison - my favorite beatle from the Brainwashed album and a cover of the Harold Arlen classic from the thirties.

I am fucking annoyed about my previous review timing out because my previous reviews were much more detailed and now I am focused on just getting this out which seems like a disservice. I really enjoyed this disc, sender, and the only track I didn't care for was number 6. I can't wait for some of these reveals. you pressed most of my buttons. This will be an ideal car ride disc. Thank you so much!

Very much enjoyed making the disc - and happy you enjoyed listening to it.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 06 Oct 2019, 09:50

Nick Danger wrote:
Tracklist-

1. Walking On My Grave - The Cartwrights
2. Empty Spaces - Mary Gauthier
3. Pot Likker - Todd Rhodes and his Orchestra
4. Silver Whistles - The Silly Sisters
5. Jessie - Joshua Kadison
6. Cold December - Glen Campbell
7. Lights Down Low - J J Cale
8. The Irish Girl - Fran Foote
9. Reckless Child - Joe Henry
10. Lost In Fishponds - Spino
11. River - Roy Orbison
12. Boyish - Japanese Breakfast
13. I Cried Again - Terry White
14. Sometime In The Morning - The Monkees
15. Satan's Child - Anita Carter
16. Tumbling Tumbleweeds - The Sons Of The Pioneers

I love that MIx Club, in addition to introducing you to new things can often remind you of stuff you haven't played nearly often enough or recently enough. Certainly need to dig out the Monkees albums and I really should play Short Man's Room again as I love Joe Henry amd The Jayhawks. Also need to plug a few Mary Gauthier gaps. Thanks again.
We're way past rhubarb

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 06 Oct 2019, 09:51

pcqgod wrote:A fun, eclectic mix.

Eclectic is my niddle name !

Track one is an endearingly rough garage rocker. Sounds like Bryan Gregory of The Cramps on guitar.

Real garage. STraight outa Detroit. The Gories. This is Mick Collins band before forming the Dirtbombs

Track two is a fun Tex-Mex jam with Spanish trumpets and ? Mark and the Mysterians style organ. Love this track.

I,d ignored this band for years having them pegged all wrong just based on the name. but it turns out I love them and have gradually picked up all the albums. Southern Culture on The Skids, who who certainy iive somewhere in Trashville along with The Cramps, B52s and others, but really do have a great grounding in Rocakbilly, Blues, Country, Lounge etc.I think the title of this is pure genius, describing a girlfriend with big hair who likes a drink as "Liquored up and lcquered down"

Track three is a lovely pop song. Maybe a bit too upbeat to be called dream pop, but something in that musical neighborhood.

A band beloved by Brits who despite having a following of sorts never really cracked the US. Prefab Sprout. Danny Galway is of course a thinly disguised JImmy Webb

Newish band with just the one album. The Boners. Not like there's not loads of bands out there doing this stuff, so you need to do it right like this. All about that guitar crunch a la ZZ Top

Track five starts off with a very folksy acoustic guitar part, but the vocal sounds more like pop.

Eleanor Friedberger

Track six sounds vaguely familiar but I can’t place it. It features prominent piano, and baroque style melody. Something from the tail end of the psychedelic era.

That's about right. Skip Bifferty

Track seven is “Spacehead” by the Primitives, which few people realize was written about me.

You are indeed correct (The first part anyway) :)

Track eight is an atmospheric, Southern Gothic kind of track. The vocalist sounds like Roy Orbison on the choruses.

New artist Orville Peck

Track nine is an alternative rock track with a nasally male vocalist alternating with a female vocalist with a very pretty voice.
I Like "quirky" bands like this who defy classification. THis is Sainseneca

Track ten is a vintage Afro-Caribbean jam with terrific percussion. I love this kind of stuff.

Me too. From a comp - Nigeria Freedom Sounds, which rather than the later Nigerian Funk and AFrobeat, concentrates on early 60s Calypso and Highlife

Track eleven is a very catchy 60’s era sunshine pop song that I’m about 99% sure is by The Lemon Pipers.

99 is good enough . It is. Green Tambourine was one of those songs you've heard like forever and then ypu suddenly think hey this is actually very good, worth digging deeper, and so I did.

Track twelve is, as I recall, the second track on the second album by Velocity Girl, and a very fine track (and album for that matter) indeed. I can’t recall the title off the top of my head.

Impressive spot

Track thirteen is a good rockabilly jam, complete with twangy guitar, rim shot percussion and hiccupy vocals.

I always laugh when I read of Cliff Richard as the "English" Elvis. Not in a million years. He's a joke. Billy Fury on the other hand....

Track fourteen is an old-time Appalachian country-folk song in the mold of The Carter Family.

I love this stuff and have a number of comps of this sort of thing. This comp is In The Year of Jubilo, old 78s of Civil War era songs

Track fifteen is an interesting modern psychedelic number with wah wah guitar and dramatic orchestration.

Obviously ahead of uts time. Recorded in 1968. The World of Oz

You're welcome. Apologies for delay in reveal.

1) The Gories – Sister Ann
2) Southern Culture On The Skids – Liquored Up and Lacquered Down
3) Prefab Sprout – The Songs Of Danny Galway
4) The Boners – Baby Talks In Tongues
5) Eleanor Friedberger – Never Is A Long Time
6) Skip Bifferty – When She Comes To Stay
7) The Primitives – Spacehead
8) Orville Peck – Dead Of Night
9) Saintseneca – Frostbiter
10) I.K Dairo – Bonfo
11) Te Lemon ipers – Blueberry Blue
12) Velocity Girl – There’s Only One Thing Left To Say
13) Billy Fury – Turn My Back On You
14) Asa Martin James Roberts – Darling Nellie Gray
15) World of Oz – Willow’ Harp

We're way past rhubarb

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Oct 2019, 22:44

Track 1
Been enjoying this track a lot, like Van Halen doing a cover of Led Zeppelin doing a cover of Smokey.
Rockist fun. Love the seventies production - ear candy to me.

Venerable Funk/Rock group Mother's Finest (still going strong today) from the 1977 album 'Another Mother Further.''

Track 2
Route 66 - Da Stonez - love it to death

This version was officially released on the BBC collection without the funny intro.

Track 3
Favorite track on the disc
Reminds of some kindof Kansas/Styx crossover. Very keen to know who this is, it has some brilliant touches , not the least the Queenesque backing vocals. Been playing this a lot

Stories, best known for their version of "Brother Louie."

Track 4
Van the Man and Them , not sure of the track, but what a great band. Fantastic of course

Yep.

Track 5
Nice atmospheric track, very slinky James Bond Theme vibe. Interested in who this. Love the strings

Mono in VCF, a Tacoma based band that released one album in 2008 and was not heard from again.

Track 6
I love me some Hawaiin music - proud owner and strummer of a uke myself, my favorite place is at the Tiki bar.

The Moonlighters, a band featuring Lisa Peterson (aka Bliss Blood) formerly of the industrial group Pain Teens.

Track 7
oooh a bit of Byrdsian studio chatter - The Byrds - Bells of Rhymney

From a Bootleg recording of rough Byrds studio takes.

Track 8
Nice very nice acoustic guitar work from someone - I have no idea who

Carlos Paredes, master of the Portuguese guitar.

Track 9
Really love this track - and I know it but can’t place it - bunnymenish / teardopish - seriously great guitars.

That Petrol Emotion, from their debut album 'Manic Pop Thrill' (1987)

Track 10
This is the Creation, don't know the track great stuff , love these guys

Yep.

Track 11
Sabbath 4 Laguna Sunrise from the greatest year in rock music history 1972. Beautiful acoustic playing. Fantastic album

Yep Yep

Track 12
Don’t know who this is , very seventies , but Im a sucker for this sort of thing

Noel Redding's group Road.

Track 13
This sounds like Judee Sill doing Joni Mitchell, but I don’t think it is. Nice cover tho

A singer named Jude.

Track 14
Sixties beat combo pop track not sure who it is, but nice organ!

Every Mother's Son

Track 15
Another seventies track - sounds kinda Bandfingerish , but can’t place it - great stuff very interested to know who this is

Wicked Lester covering The Hollies. This band featured Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley who apparently went on to greater fame in some other group whose name escapes me now.

Track 16
Some freaky phased backwards effects to finish

The backwards masked message from Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' album. "Congratulations, you have discovered the secret message. Send your answers to Old Pink, Chalfont..."

1. Mother's Finest - Mickey's Monkey
2. Rolling Stones - Route 66
3. Stories - Please Please
4. Them - I Gave My Love a Diamond
5. Mono in VCF - The Only One
6. Moonlighters - Hawaiian Blues
7. The Byrds -- Set You Free This Time (false starts)/The Bells of Rhymney
8. Carlos Paredes - Dancas Portuguesas
9. That Petrol Emotion -- Circusville
10. The Creation - For All That I Am
11. Black Sabbath - Laguna Sunrise
12. Road - Space Ship Earth
13. Jude - Morning Morgan Town
14. Every Mother's Son - Come on Down to My Boat
15. Wicked Lester - We Want to shout it Out Loud
16. Pink Floyd - Empty Spaces (backwards)

Glad you dug it.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Oct 2019, 06:17

The Fish wrote:
pcqgod wrote:A fun, eclectic mix.

Eclectic is my niddle name !

Real garage. STraight outa Detroit. The Gories. This is Mick Collins band before forming the Dirtbombs

I,d ignored this band for years having them pegged all wrong just based on the name. but it turns out I love them and have gradually picked up all the albums. Southern Culture on The Skids, who who certainy iive somewhere in Trashville along with The Cramps, B52s and others, but really do have a great grounding in Rocakbilly, Blues, Country, Lounge etc.I think the title of this is pure genius, describing a girlfriend with big hair who likes a drink as "Liquored up and lcquered down"

A band beloved by Brits who despite having a following of sorts never really cracked the US. Prefab Sprout. Danny Galway is of course a thinly disguised JImmy Webb

Newish band with just the one album. The Boners. Not like there's not loads of bands out there doing this stuff, so you need to do it right like this. All about that guitar crunch a la ZZ Top

Eleanor Friedberger

That's about right. Skip Bifferty

You are indeed correct (The first part anyway) :)

New artist Orville Peck

I Like "quirky" bands like this who defy classification. THis is Sainseneca

Me too. From a comp - Nigeria Freedom Sounds, which rather than the later Nigerian Funk and AFrobeat, concentrates on early 60s Calypso and Highlife

99 is good enough . It is. Green Tambourine was one of those songs you've heard like forever and then ypu suddenly think hey this is actually very good, worth digging deeper, and so I did.

Impressive spot

I always laugh when I read of Cliff Richard as the "English" Elvis. Not in a million years. He's a joke. Billy Fury on the other hand....

I love this stuff and have a number of comps of this sort of thing. This comp is In The Year of Jubilo, old 78s of Civil War era songs

Obviously ahead of uts time. Recorded in 1968. The World of Oz

You're welcome. Apologies for delay in reveal.

1) The Gories – Sister Ann
2) Southern Culture On The Skids – Liquored Up and Lacquered Down
3) Prefab Sprout – The Songs Of Danny Galway
4) The Boners – Baby Talks In Tongues
5) Eleanor Friedberger – Never Is A Long Time
6) Skip Bifferty – When She Comes To Stay
7) The Primitives – Spacehead
8) Orville Peck – Dead Of Night
9) Saintseneca – Frostbiter
10) I.K Dairo – Bonfo
11) Te Lemon ipers – Blueberry Blue
12) Velocity Girl – There’s Only One Thing Left To Say
13) Billy Fury – Turn My Back On You
14) Asa Martin James Roberts – Darling Nellie Gray
15) World of Oz – Willow’ Harp

Interesting. I've heard World of Oz before, but I don't remember them sounding like that. I have friends who love Prefab Sprout and Southern Culture but have never seriously sampled their music. This is why I love Mix Club; the chance to sample such a wide range of music I wouldn't have otherwise paid attention to.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Oct 2019, 15:51

I agree completely!

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Mix Club”