March Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

March Reviews

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Apr 2019, 02:19

Well FUCKING HELL
I didn't get round to listening to this disc until Sunday, which incredibly was my first "free" day in about three weeks. I sat in the kitchen lovingly tip tapping out a big review, then hit submit AND IT HAD NOT SAVED AND I LOST IT ALL and to say that I was pissed off is something of an understatement!

so here we go AGAIN

1. The theme tune from The Banana Splits! Never bad!
2. What sounds like a mash up of "Nowhere Man" and "Turn Turn Turn" - amirite? And crazily, it works!
3. This sounds like a crazy fantastic Sparks like song about spiders - and I love it!
4. Something that sounds vaguely like Big Star, singing about light and whatnot - great
5. Absolutely gorgeous ditty about the passing of Winter
6. A song about a girl trying to retrieve shoes from Leroy. Also fabulous.
7. This also sounds like Big Star. I fucking love the guitars on this. It's fabulous
8. I'm going to guess that this is Nena?
9. Trippy samply grooves
10. Sweet, trippy, breathy, grooves
11. psych grooves, sounds vaguely NZish
12. This track is absolutely crazy but it works.
13. Some chick singing in a foreign language and all that!
14. This is ace
15. A spooky Spanish western number!

Hmmm....disc says 16 but I count 15

Now then sender, the reason this list is so short is that yesterday I had lots of time to write out a full piece and today I don't, which is really annoying, because this was one of my FAVOURITE MIXES EVER.I put it on and played it straight through four times. Do you know how often that happens? Well, never. I was THRILLED With it. absolutely thrilled and I can't wait to find out who everyone is!

Mwah mwah!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

pcqgod

Re: March Reviews

Postby pcqgod » 03 Apr 2019, 04:44

Wow, never expected it to go over this well. I actually recorded this before the last mix I sent out, but held it back for some reason.

1. The theme tune from The Banana Splits! Never bad!

Yes, and yes!

2. What sounds like a mash up of "Nowhere Man" and "Turn Turn Turn" - amirite? And crazily, it works!

Yes, and yes!

3. This sounds like a crazy fantastic Sparks like song about spiders - and I love it!

The band Fischer-z(ed), from their ‘Word Salad’ album circa 1979.

4. Something that sounds vaguely like Big Star, singing about light and whatnot - great

Apples in Stereo, from their ‘Tone Soul Evolution’ album circa 1996.

5. Absolutely gorgeous ditty about the passing of Winter

English band Agincourt, which released one album around 1970 and then became Ithaca.

6. “Batman” soundbite.

The missing track.

7. A song about a girl trying to retrieve shoes from Leroy. Also fabulous.

The utterly unique Fibonaccis, from Los Angeles. The song “Leroy” is based on the classic creepy kid movie ‘The Bad Seed’ (1956).

8. This also sounds like Big Star. I fucking love the guitars on this. It's fabulous

Greg Pope, one of the most talented songwriters around today. This song was from his 2015 album ‘Fanboy.’

9. I'm going to guess that this is Nena?

Yes, from the same album as “99 Luftballons”

10. Trippy samply grooves

An Italian band called Giöbia, from a sampler cd for the stoner rock label ‘Heavy Psych Sounds.’ Samples are from the movie and radio versions of 'War of the Worlds'

11. Sweet, trippy, breathy, grooves

Fabienne Delsol with the title track to her 2010 album ‘On My Mind.’

12. psych grooves, sounds vaguely NZish

NY band Beechwood, from their 2018 album ‘Songs from the Land of Nod.’

13. This track is absolutely crazy but it works.

Nigerian band Question Mark, from 1977.

14. Some chick singing in a foreign language and all that!

“Rollergirl” by French singer Anna Karina. This track appears on the ye-ye compilation ‘Ultra Chicks’ vol. 2, and was recently featured in the tv series ‘Killing Eve.’

15. This is ace

“Misty Lane” by the original Chocolate Watchband, circa 1966.

16. A spooky Spanish western number!

A modern surf rock band called The Bambi Molesters, from Croatia of all places. Album: ‘Sonic Bullets’

1. Banana Splits Theme
2. Beatles vs. Byrds “Nowhere to Turn”
3. Fischer-z “Spiders”
4. Apples in Stereo “Shine a Light”
5. Agincourt – “Though I May Be Dreaming”
6. To the Batmobile!
7. Fibonaccis “Leroy”
8. Greg Pope “New Beginning”
9. Nena “Just a Dream”
10. Giöbia “This World Was Being Watched Closely”
11. Fabienne Delsol “On My Mind”
12. Beechwood “All for Naught”
13. Question Mark “Be Nice to the People”
14. Anna Karina “Rollergirl”
15. Chocolate Watchband “Misty Lane”
16. Bambi Molesters “Corazon del Loco Jorge”
Thanks for listening!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Apr 2019, 14:32

Oh I loved it! I’ll write more this weekend but I loved it

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 12 Apr 2019, 17:07

Have really enjoyed this mix, enjoyed all the tracks , big thanks to the mixer who pretty much nailed my personal taste but still managed to include tracks I either had never heard or was not overly familiar with.

1. Nice opening track - not sure what this is from but its live Fleetwood Mac with Christine McVie on vocals - brilliant of course, she does this sort of uptempo piano boogie brilliantly - her songs really sneak up on you and are quietly infectious. Great stuff.

2. Change of pace with a nice slice of folky / bluegrass - don't know it but very enjoyable.

3. Turn Down Day - the Cyrkle - one of my favorite songs ever, perfect pop song , bright and breezy , love it.

4. Alvvays - love these guys and this whole album , she has a great voice.

5. Van the Man from his much overlooked and oft neglected Wavelength album , Natalia.

6. Some live Cocteau Twins - not sure what track this but its also marvelous as one would expect.

7. Have no idea who this is but its great, great bluesy vocals.

8. This is familiar sounding but can't place it, love it and interested to know who it is. Folky sounding pop.

9. The perfect harmonies of the Everly Bros - and one of their greatest songs Crying in the Rain - beautiful.

10. Nice cruisey soul track, lovely vocals

11. Love the steel guitar in this - country rock number in the Burrito Bros vein , not sure who this is.

12. Know the voice but can’t place the tune - nice piano ballad with a strong female vocal

13. Another slinky soul track

14. Very nice 50s girl group track that I haven’t heard before, very enjoyable - I could listen to this sort of 50s pop all day.

15. Really like this, nice short pop song, interested to know who this is - nice distorted guitar with a 50s pop sensibility - almost an update of the previous track. Love it

16. I think this is Camera Obscura , I think I even have this - I obviously need to dig it out and have another listen because its great.

Special thanks to my mixer for the bonus "Morning" disc - I can attest to the fact that it certainly does the job as a morning soundtrack.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 13 Apr 2019, 08:14

Enjoyable dsic from Fange....

1) Kicking things off with a great double whammy. I love this kind of female vocals, a bit more full on but still sounding natural, the likes of Maria McKee, Lydia Loveless and Neko Case. This fits right n that arc and it’s great…
2) .as is this. God knows most of “soft metal” sucks but give it some powerpop riffs and crank it up and magic happens.
3) I was going to say that having enthused about the opening pair, it wasn’t as if the quality suddenly took a nosedive. Case in point this, which I liked before but coming to review it now I like even more. Sounds almost like Dylan’s two great bands combined. A bit of a Band feel and slight hints of Levon in the vocals and the tune borrows a bit from Like A Rolling Stone plus the organ is pure Al Kooper.
4) Grew on me a bit but easy to damn with faint praise as pleasant etc. Ultimately decided this was a bit undercooked and never took off. OK though.
5) Nice soulful easy vibe that really swings along.
6) Simple song elevated with a Baroque/chamber pop feel. Nice.
7) This one is great but it’s driving me mad as I recognise the song (for sure) and the singer (I think) but the two in my mind aren’t paired together, as though this is a cover but I may be totally wrong.
8) I like that the raucousness of the song is balanced by the “underplaying” of the arrangement. The vocal though is right on the edge for me. I like strong singers for sure but when it tips over to the “trying too hard” “Blues mama” style it generally loses me. As I say this is on the cusp.
9) Oh Say Can You See pipes the organ but that’s all we get, so as Officer Byrd says please take a seat…. And then enjoy the rest of the show. Anything remotely within the broad church of Country Soul gets my vote and this is no exception
10) Finally as the mix draws to a close, one I know – Garland Jeffreys who I like a lot.

Thanks. I enjoyed pretty much all of that.
We're way past rhubarb

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 14 Apr 2019, 20:22

Have really enjoyed this mix, enjoyed all the tracks , big thanks to the mixer who pretty much nailed my personal taste but still managed to include tracks I either had never heard or was not overly familiar with.

1. Nice opening track - not sure what this is from but its live Fleetwood Mac with Christine McVie on vocals - brilliant of course, she does this sort of uptempo piano boogie brilliantly - her songs really sneak up on you and are quietly infectious. Great stuff.

Live 1975 boot from the first tour with Buckingham/Nicks. The song, Get Like You Used To Be, was brought over by Christine from her previous band Chicken Shack.

2. Change of pace with a nice slice of folky / bluegrass - don't know it but very enjoyable.

Doc Watson with son Merle on banjo.

3. Turn Down Day - the Cyrkle - one of my favorite songs ever, perfect pop song , bright and breezy , love it.

Yep.

I've just recently found them. I love this song and the vocal.

5. Van the Man from his much overlooked and oft neglected Wavelength album , Natalia.

One of my favorite deeper Van cuts.

6. Some live Cocteau Twins - not sure what track this but its also marvelous as one would expect.

Live Paris boot from 1995.

Raggedy And Dirty - Luther Allison (1973)

8. This is familiar sounding but can't place it, love it and interested to know who it is. Folky sounding pop.

You know this guy, Ian Matthews. This is from one of his solo albums in the 70s. The song is the Gene Clark penned Tried So Hard.

9. The perfect harmonies of the Everly Bros - and one of their greatest songs Crying in the Rain - beautiful.

I agree.

Pity A Fool - Carl Sims

11. Love the steel guitar in this - country rock number in the Burrito Bros vein , not sure who this is.

It's Poco from their 1976 live album. That's Rusty Young on steel guitar.

12. Know the voice but can’t place the tune - nice piano ballad with a strong female vocal

This is from the 1980 movie Fame. The singer is Irene Cara. This song and another one from the movie were both nominated for an Oscar.

Billy Stewart with the Dells singing backup.

14. Very nice 50s girl group track that I haven’t heard before, very enjoyable - I could listen to this sort of 50s pop all day.

Til - The Angels (1961)

15. Really like this, nice short pop song, interested to know who this is - nice distorted guitar with a 50s pop sensibility - almost an update of the previous track. Love it

I love this too. This is an all girl group called Brave Irene. It's one of the one off bands formed by Rose Melberg. This is from their only album (2007). I think you would like the album and also her next all girl group Knife Pleats which also only made one album.

16. I think this is Camera Obscura , I think I even have this - I obviously need to dig it out and have another listen because its great.

Yep, that's them. This is from an album I really like Let's Get Out Of This Country.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun to make and I've listened to it several times myself.

Tracklist-

1. Get Like You Used To Be - Fleetwood Mac
2. Shady Grove - Doc Watson
3. Turn Down Day - The Cyrkle
4. Red Planet - Alvvays
5. Natalia - Van Morrison
6. Serpentskirt - The Cocteau Twins
7. Raggedy And Dirty - Luther Allison
8. Tried So Hard - Ian Matthews
9. Crying In The Rain - The Everly Brothers
10. Pity A Fool - Carl Sims
11. Bad Weather - Poco
12. Out Here On My Own - Irene Cara
13. Cross My Heart - Billy Stewart
14. Til - The Angels
15. Bank Holiday - Brave Irene
16. Come Back Margaret - Camera Obscura

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 15 Apr 2019, 09:15

The Fish wrote:Enjoyable dsic from Fange....

1) Kicking things off with a great double whammy. I love this kind of female vocals, a bit more full on but still sounding natural, the likes of Maria McKee, Lydia Loveless and Neko Case. This fits right n that arc and it’s great…
2) .as is this. God knows most of “soft metal” sucks but give it some powerpop riffs and crank it up and magic happens.
3) I was going to say that having enthused about the opening pair, it wasn’t as if the quality suddenly took a nosedive. Case in point this, which I liked before but coming to review it now I like even more. Sounds almost like Dylan’s two great bands combined. A bit of a Band feel and slight hints of Levon in the vocals and the tune borrows a bit from Like A Rolling Stone plus the organ is pure Al Kooper.
4) Grew on me a bit but easy to damn with faint praise as pleasant etc. Ultimately decided this was a bit undercooked and never took off. OK though.
5) Nice soulful easy vibe that really swings along.
6) Simple song elevated with a Baroque/chamber pop feel. Nice.
7) This one is great but it’s driving me mad as I recognise the song (for sure) and the singer (I think) but the two in my mind aren’t paired together, as though this is a cover but I may be totally wrong.
8) I like that the raucousness of the song is balanced by the “underplaying” of the arrangement. The vocal though is right on the edge for me. I like strong singers for sure but when it tips over to the “trying too hard” “Blues mama” style it generally loses me. As I say this is on the cusp.
9) Oh Say Can You See pipes the organ but that’s all we get, so as Officer Byrd says please take a seat…. And then enjoy the rest of the show. Anything remotely within the broad church of Country Soul gets my vote and this is no exception
10) Finally as the mix draws to a close, one I know – Garland Jeffreys who I like a lot.

Thanks. I enjoyed pretty much all of that.

Great, glad you enjoyed most of it. This is a bunch of stuff that i've been listening to that i thought you might like too. Cheers Paul.

Playlist
1. Camera Obscura - Do It Again
2. Golden Smog - To Call My Own
3. Ohio Knox - Land of Music
4. Richard Twice - The Finest Poet
5. Tall Tales & True - Trust
6. G.W. McLennan - Stones For You
7. Link Wray - Falling Rain
8. Vika and Linda Bull - Hard Love [live]
9. Bobby Darin - Me and Mr. Hohner
10. Garland Jeffries - Wild In The Streets
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 15 Apr 2019, 14:07

My disc was from our piscatorial pal Paul, and a mighty enjoyable mix it was.

1. A lovely classic-era rockin-country soul tune to start. The singer sounds very familiar but can't pin a name on it. Lovely guitar touches. Excellent start.

2. The unmistakable sounds of the Wolf, always a pleasure.

3. A nice ballad-tempo tune, though the story of the heart being told was a little hard to decipher. A bit cryptic. A pleasant tune though.

4. Some live Steve Miller Band, in straight-ahead bluesy form. Good rockin fun.

5. Eddie Bo with some steamy, twinkle-toed funk. Excellent to hear again and made me spin some Eddie this past week.

6. Another female singer, this one with a more jazzy-bluesy feel, and this one was quite lovely. Sweet acoustic guitar.

7. Some unabashed guitar pop of more recent vintage by the sounds of it, and very enjoyable. I'm a sucker for this genre.

8. Some gritty, funky blues that's one of my faves on this disc. Good mix of guitar, organ and funky drums, and good vocals too.

9. A fun classic-style rockabilly tune, though it sounds like it might be more recently recorded. Lovely guitars.

10. This has sounded very familiar but can't place it. A '60s style rock and roller that is very pleasant to my ears, as this stuff is right in my wheelhouse. It's not rocket science and doesn't need to be.

11. A big left turn in styles here; a pop-rock tune with a jumpy melody that's nice enough but hasn't really grabbed me. Ok, but not amongst my faves.

12. Another country-ish rockabilly tune that brings a smile to my face. Right up my alley, very nice.

13. Some lovely ringing guitars and classic power pop tunesmithery - always A-ok with me. A more recent band (last 20 years), i'd say, and interested in the reveal.

14. A more somber tune with a breathy vocalist, the kind that kind of generally rubs me the wrong way unfortunately. Musically it's nice though.

15. Yeah, this is more like it - back to the shizzle. A 70s-style hard funk instrumental, the kind that's always welcome chez fange. Top tune, look forward to seeing which group it is.

16. And another fun instrumental, this one more '50s or early-'60s styled, with lots of ringing surf guitar sounds and spacey effects. Good closer.

Ta, Paul, a really nice mix. Much obliged.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Apr 2019, 15:29

Nick Danger wrote:Have really enjoyed this mix, enjoyed all the tracks , big thanks to the mixer who pretty much nailed my personal taste but still managed to include tracks I either had never heard or was not overly familiar with.

Live 1975 boot from the first tour with Buckingham/Nicks. The song, Get Like You Used To Be, was brought over by Christine from her previous band Chicken Shack.

Doc Watson with son Merle on banjo.

Yep.

I've just recently found them. I love this song and the vocal.

One of my favorite deeper Van cuts.

Live Paris boot from 1995.

Raggedy And Dirty - Luther Allison (1973)

You know this guy, Ian Matthews. This is from one of his solo albums in the 70s. The song is the Gene Clark penned Tried So Hard.

I agree.

Pity A Fool - Carl Sims

It's Poco from their 1976 live album. That's Rusty Young on steel guitar.

This is from the 1980 movie Fame. The singer is Irene Cara. This song and another one from the movie were both nominated for an Oscar.

Billy Stewart with the Dells singing backup.

Til - The Angels (1961)

I love this too. This is an all girl group called Brave Irene. It's one of the one off bands formed by Rose Melberg. This is from their only album (2007). I think you would like the album and also her next all girl group Knife Pleats which also only made one album.

Yep, that's them. This is from an album I really like Let's Get Out Of This Country.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun to make and I've listened to it several times myself.

Tracklist-

1. Get Like You Used To Be - Fleetwood Mac
2. Shady Grove - Doc Watson
3. Turn Down Day - The Cyrkle
4. Red Planet - Alvvays
5. Natalia - Van Morrison
6. Serpentskirt - The Cocteau Twins
7. Raggedy And Dirty - Luther Allison
8. Tried So Hard - Ian Matthews
9. Crying In The Rain - The Everly Brothers
10. Pity A Fool - Carl Sims
11. Bad Weather - Poco
12. Out Here On My Own - Irene Cara
13. Cross My Heart - Billy Stewart
14. Til - The Angels
15. Bank Holiday - Brave Irene
16. Come Back Margaret - Camera Obscura

Excellent - I shall be getting the Brave Irene and will check out the Knife Pleats too.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 16 Apr 2019, 16:22

Thanks to my mixer for an interesting and enjoyable listen. I can only confidently identify one track so I've got a lot of new stuff to check out.

1. I like this. It's a little spooky and atmospheric, somber even. The voice sounds familiar but I'm not coming up with who it is. Nice guitar solo.
2. This is enjoyable but the vocal is buried too far back in the mix for me. I like the distorted guitar. Drums are interesting.
3. Modern British? sounding, I don't like it as much as most of the rest of the mix but definitely has it's moments.
4. A highlight, great harmonies, very curious about who this is. Very nice.
5. An enjoyable soundscape of layered sounds, again British I'm guessing. Kind of Beatlesque, it's a good 'un.
6. The Stroll - The Diamonds, a classic. Love it.
7. Modern, noisy, great distorted guitar again. Lots of effects. I like this a lot.
8. A change of pace here, slowed down, plaintive (I love plaintive), almost mournful. Beautiful melody, builds nicely.
9. Power pop with a great rhythm section. This proved to be a grower, I liked it more each time I played it. As with most of this mix I have no idea who it is and I'll be looking forward to the reveal. The bass player is a standout here.
10. Another familiar sounding voice and another grower. Like the guitar and drums. A good arrangement. well executed.
11. This is interesting. It's kinda show tuneish, creates a mood. I like the tempo changes. Multiple voices, a lot of moving parts here. Sounds like it's from a stage show. First song I've ever heard with an alarm clock finish. Nice closer.

Thanks again for an enjoyable listen. Almost all new to me with some real standouts.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 17 Apr 2019, 18:21

No theme or anything this month, just a collection of songs

1. I like this. It's a little spooky and atmospheric, somber even. The voice sounds familiar but I'm not coming up with who it is. Nice guitar solo.

This is "Kare Kare" by Crowded House, the opening track from the wonderful Together Alone album

2. This is enjoyable but the vocal is buried too far back in the mix for me. I like the distorted guitar. Drums are interesting.

Shoegazers Chapterhouse and Breather from the Whirlpool album

3. Modern British? sounding, I don't like it as much as most of the rest of the mix but definitely has it's moments.

Actually from Dunedin , New Zealand and Needles and Plastic by the Doublehappys. Shane Carter went on to form local legends Straightjacket Fits

4. A highlight, great harmonies, very curious about who this is. Very nice.
The acoustic side of Joe Walsh and Help Me Thru The Night from his solo album So What

5. An enjoyable soundscape of layered sounds, again British I'm guessing. Kind of Beatlesque, it's a good 'un.
This Can't Be Today by the Rain Parade

6. The Stroll - The Diamonds, a classic. Love it.
Indeed.

7. Modern, noisy, great distorted guitar again. Lots of effects. I like this a lot.
She Rides the Waves Pale Saints

8. A change of pace here, slowed down, plaintive (I love plaintive), almost mournful. Beautiful melody, builds nicely.
the one hit from Racing Cars - They Shoot Horses Don't They.

9. Power pop with a great rhythm section. This proved to be a grower, I liked it more each time I played it. As with most of this mix I have no idea who it is and I'll be looking forward to the reveal. The bass player is a standout here.
Young Adult Friction by the wonderful The Pains of Being Pure At Heart

10. Another familiar sounding voice and another grower. Like the guitar and drums. A good arrangement. well executed.
John Coltrane Stereo Blues by The Dream Syndicate from Medicine Show

11. This is interesting. It's kinda show tuneish, creates a mood. I like the tempo changes. Multiple voices, a lot of moving parts here. Sounds like it's from a stage show. First song I've ever heard with an alarm clock finish. Nice closer.

Never really thought of this as a show tune, but I guess it really is in a lot of ways - its 10CC and Don't Hang Up from the How Dare You album

Glad you enjoyed it, even tho they were mostly unfamiliar

Kare Kare Crowded House Together Alone
Breather Chapterhouse Whirlpool
Needles and Plastic Doublehappys
Help Me Thru The Night Joe Walsh
This Can't Be Today Rain Parade
The Stroll The Diamonds
She Rides the Waves Pale Saints Mrs. Dolphin
They Shoot Horses Don't They Racing Cars Downtown Tonight
Young Adult Friction The Pains of Being Pure At Heart
John Coltrane Stereo Blues The Dream Syndicate Medicine Show
Don't Hang Up 10CC How Dare You!

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 20 Apr 2019, 15:18

fange wrote:
1. Camera Obscura - Do It Again
2. Golden Smog - To Call My Own
3. Ohio Knox - Land of Music
4. Richard Twice - The Finest Poet
5. Tall Tales & True - Trust
6. G.W. McLennan - Stones For You
7. Link Wray - Falling Rain
8. Vika and Linda Bull - Hard Love [live]
9. Bobby Darin - Me and Mr. Hohner
10. Garland Jeffries - Wild In The Streets

I own the Camera Obscura, Golden SMog, LInk Wray and Grant McLennan (annoyed at not spotting that one). I think the version of Fallin' Rain I'm more familiar with I was trying to place is The Neville Brothers. Thanks again. Enjoyable mix

fange wrote:My disc was from our piscatorial pal Paul, and a mighty enjoyable mix it was.

1. A lovely classic-era rockin-country soul tune to start. The singer sounds very familiar but can't pin a name on it. Lovely guitar touches. Excellent start.

Johnny Adams. His best known track is probably Georga Morning Dew which features on various country soul comps.

2. The unmistakable sounds of the Wolf, always a pleasure.

Gotta have one banker!

3. A nice ballad-tempo tune, though the story of the heart being told was a little hard to decipher. A bit cryptic. A pleasant tune though.

Co written with Leonard Cohen and first appeared on his Ten New SOngs album, on which she also appeared. Sharon Robinson

4. Some live Steve Miller Band, in straight-ahead bluesy form. Good rockin fun.

Unser appreciated album Rock LOve which has a hint of contractual oblogation but somm good stuff none the less

5. Eddie Bo with some steamy, twinkle-toed funk. Excellent to hear again and made me spin some Eddie this past week.

Yep

6. Another female singer, this one with a more jazzy-bluesy feel, and this one was quite lovely. Sweet acoustic guitar.

The song is a stndard of course sumg here by Lizz Wright

7. Some unabashed guitar pop of more recent vintage by the sounds of it, and very enjoyable. I'm a sucker for this genre.

Well powerepop is a broad church of course but you really can't beat it when it draws a straight line from the Beatles and Byrds. The ridiculously named but fantastic sounding Myracle Brah

8. Some gritty, funky blues that's one of my faves on this disc. Good mix of guitar, organ and funky drums, and good vocals too.

I'm old school and I'll take neo-soul and lattr day funk over any rap and hip-hop. Like this - Fantastic Negrito

9. A fun classic-style rockabilly tune, though it sounds like it might be more recently recorded. Lovely guitars.

THis guy is great doing everything from surf, country amd rockabilly chanelling Duane Eddy, Chet ATkins and all manner of greats. - Deke Dickerson

10. This has sounded very familiar but can't place it. A '60s style rock and roller that is very pleasant to my ears, as this stuff is right in my wheelhouse. It's not rocket science and doesn't need to be.

When soul and garage collide, if it isn't The Dirtbombs (it isn't) it's the Detriot Cobras (it is)

11. A big left turn in styles here; a pop-rock tune with a jumpy melody that's nice enough but hasn't really grabbed me. Ok, but not amongst my faves.

Paisley Underground with The Three O'Clock

12. Another country-ish rockabilly tune that brings a smile to my face. Right up my alley, very nice.

Nothing groundbreaking but on the money - The Roy Kay Trio

13. Some lovely ringing guitars and classic power pop tunesmithery - always A-ok with me. A more recent band (last 20 years), i'd say, and interested in the reveal.

The bad new here is that the entire CD output of this band (The SIdewalk Scene) is this 4 track EP. I for one will be looking out for more

14. A more somber tune with a breathy vocalist, the kind that kind of generally rubs me the wrong way unfortunately. Musically it's nice though.

Sun KIl Moon from their album of Modest Mouse covers

15. Yeah, this is more like it - back to the shizzle. A 70s-style hard funk instrumental, the kind that's always welcome chez fange. Top tune, look forward to seeing which group it is.

Two albums available by this lot - Third Coast Kings from Michigan

16. And another fun instrumental, this one more '50s or early-'60s styled, with lots of ringing surf guitar sounds and spacey effects. Good closer.

This is from one of 6 double CD comps featuring the Cramps record collection. SOme weird and wonderful stuff to be sure

Ta, Paul, a really nice mix. Much obliged.

YOu're welcome

1. Johnny Adams - In A Moment of Weakness
2. Howlin' Wolf - Forty Four
3. Sharon Robinson - ALexandra Leaving
4. Steve Miller Band - The Gangster Is Back
5. Eddie Bo - If Ot's Godd To Yu Ot's Good For You
6. Lizz Wright - Stars Fell On Alabama
7. Myracle Brah - Whisper Softly
8. Fanatstic Negrito - Working Poor
9. Deke Dickerson - Sparkin'
10. The Detroit Cobras - Bad Girl
11. The Three O'Clock - When Lightning Starts
12.Roy Kay Trio - My Rockin' Heart
13.The Sidewalk Scene - The Last Time It Rained
14.Sun Kil Moon - Grey Ice Water
15.Third Coast KIngs - Cop It Proper
16.Bob & Jerry - Ghost Satellite

We're way past rhubarb

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Apr 2019, 02:37

Nice, Paul. I shoud check if there's a good Johnny Adams comp. out there, for sure. And Third Coast Kings sound exactly my kinda thing, cheers for the heads-up.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 May 2019, 03:43

An eclectic mix very much after my own heart.

1. Song in an oi punk style, with cartoonishly violent lyrics. Funny.
2. Wistful cabaret flavored number with a simple piano riff that is now EMBEDDED IN MY BRAIN.
3. Dense dance track. Vocalist sounds like Bjork. Ends with a long ambient segment of what sounds like foghorns.
4. Techno dance track with lyrics about collecting memorabilia.
5. "Pulling Mussels from the Shell" by Squeeze. 'Argy Bargy' is a longtime favorite.
6. Old reggae number with nice high falsetto lead vocals.
7. Nice pop number with kind of a cumbia beat.
8. Track with a bunch of flutey-soundng synthesizers.
9. Ambient track with acoustic guitar, keyboard textures, and what sounds like helicopter blades.

Very enjoyable. I liked every track, though I'm most curious about track 8.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 May 2019, 02:54

pcqgod wrote:An eclectic mix very much after my own heart.

1. Song in an oi punk style, with cartoonishly violent lyrics. Funny.
2. Wistful cabaret flavored number with a simple piano riff that is now EMBEDDED IN MY BRAIN.
3. Dense dance track. Vocalist sounds like Bjork. Ends with a long ambient segment of what sounds like foghorns.
4. Techno dance track with lyrics about collecting memorabilia.
5. "Pulling Mussels from the Shell" by Squeeze. 'Argy Bargy' is a longtime favorite.
6. Old reggae number with nice high falsetto lead vocals.
7. Nice pop number with kind of a cumbia beat.
8. Track with a bunch of flutey-soundng synthesizers.
9. Ambient track with acoustic guitar, keyboard textures, and what sounds like helicopter blades.

Very enjoyable. I liked every track, though I'm most curious about track 8.

hurray! Glad you enjoyed it!

OK, here we go:

1. "Kill" by Alberto Y Lost Trios Paranoias.
2. "Breakfast" by The Associates. Ha ha ha! Hooked!
3. "Earth Intruders" by Bjork. I didn't like this album to start with, but it's grown on me over the years.
4. "Memorabilia" by Soft Cell. A firm favourite in this house, by God!
5. Squeeze! Correct, correct!
6. "Queen Majesty" - Techniques
7. "The Things We Do" Terry Hall
8. "Tongebirge" by Kraftwerk
9. "Thais 2" This Mortal Coil.

I have put that This Mortal Coil track on so many mix discs. I'm a sucker for TMC.

I'm glad you enjoyed, love!

Dr Markus wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 May 2019, 20:29

Minnie the Minx wrote:
8. "Tongebirge" by Kraftwerk

I had a suspicion! :)

Return to “Mix Club”