Dec 2018 - Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Dec 2018 - Reviews

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Jan 2019, 00:26

First to review! What do I win?

1. Punky, growly, short sharp shock of unknown origin. Like it!
2. Someone doing 'Greensleeves' - unsure who - something from the 1960s I think... cute!
3. Is this not Neil Young's "Lotta Love?" But sung by a lady? Wait - did he not write this? Ooooooh!
4. I think this may be Anthony and the Johnsons, or some derivative of, and I am sorry to say I find the voice intolerable
5. Gorgeous 60's soul track that I can't place and don't know the artist, but daaaamn it's good.
6. Is this Garbage by any chance? I really know very little about them, but this track is excellent. It sounds a little like Chrissie Hynde singing with MBV!
7. Hmm, bossa nova sort of funky kind of thing. Nice!
8. This is, I think, some modernish kind of punk and it's very fast and I can't keep up.
9: :D Bowie: God Bless The Girl
10. Ooh this is nice, short and melodic breathy girl vocals - lovely
11. A lovely rockabilly tune about --- riding to a funeral with pleasure. :lol: Great stuff.
12. splendid vaguely psychedelic tune which I have a feel may be NZ in origin?
13. Patti Watti Woo - Privilege - SET ME FREE
14 -Hmmm... probably my least favourite track on this comp - unidentifiable female that' sailing a bit close to Britain's Got Talent
15- Pleasant enough female vocal power pop - like it
16- I Love How You Love Me - I have never heard this version, I think I have heard a bloke singing it? This is absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you sender, thank you, thank you! Other than 4 and 14, I enjoyed it all and I am looking forward to the reveal. I am also looking forward to playing my BONUS BOWIE DISC XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Nick Danger

Re: Dec 2018 - Reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 13 Jan 2019, 14:59

First to review! What do I win?

1. Punky, growly, short sharp shock of unknown origin. Like it!

Goodnight Now by the Muffs from 1997.

2. Someone doing 'Greensleeves' - unsure who - something from the 1960s I think... cute!

The Scorpions from 1965.

3. Is this not Neil Young's "Lotta Love?" But sung by a lady? Wait - did he not write this? Ooooooh!

You're right, it's NY's song. This is by his then girlfriend Nicolette Larson who took this into the top ten on the U.S. chart.

4. I think this may be Anthony and the Johnsons, or some derivative of, and I am sorry to say I find the voice intolerable

You're right. This is Anthony or was, he's now transgender and records under the name Anohni. The genre is called chamber cabaret electronica.

5. Gorgeous 60's soul track that I can't place and don't know the artist, but daaaamn it's good.

One of my favorite doo wop songs Tell Him by the Drew Vels.

6. Is this Garbage by any chance? I really know very little about them, but this track is excellent. It sounds a little like Chrissie Hynde singing with MBV!

You've got a great ear. This is Garbage but it's recent Garbage (2016).

7. Hmm, bossa nova sort of funky kind of thing. Nice!

New York trio The Mosquitos from 2003.

8. This is, I think, some modernish kind of punk and it's very fast and I can't keep up.

You're right, it's 90's post punk band Enemy You.

9: :D Bowie: God Bless The Girl

Bowie with a Next Day session bonus track. I think it was only on the Japanese release of The Next Day.

10. Ooh this is nice, short and melodic breathy girl vocals - lovely

Female duo twee group The Softies from 2000.

11. A lovely rockabilly tune about --- riding to a funeral with pleasure. :lol: Great stuff.

Obscure rockabilly - Joyce Green with Black Cadillac. She only recorded this one song and it's B side. One of my favorites.

12. splendid vaguely psychedelic tune which I have a feel may be NZ in origin?

Obscure garage band The Zoo with an obscure song from an obscure comp. It's called Sometimes (1967).

13. Patti Watti Woo - Privilege - SET ME FREE

Yep, it's Patti from her 1978 album Easter.

14 -Hmmm... probably my least favorite track on this comp - unidentifiable female that' sailing a bit close to Britain's Got Talent

The band is called FKA Twigs but it's really one girl from Gloucestershire so you're instinct is pretty accurate.

15- Pleasant enough female vocal power pop - like it

Modern (2017) all girl band The Beths who hail from Auckland.

16- I Love How You Love Me - I have never heard this version, I think I have heard a bloke singing it? This is absolutely gorgeous.

This is the original version, the Paris Sisters from 1961. It's really just lead singer Priscilla Paris.

Thank you sender, thank you, thank you! Other than 4 and 14, I enjoyed it all and I am looking forward to the reveal. I am also looking forward to playing my BONUS BOWIE DISC XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

I'm glad you enjoyed most of it. It was a lot of fun to make.

Tracklist-

1. Goodnight Now - The Muffs
2. Greensleeves - The Scorpions
3. Lotta Love - Nicolette Larson
4. Marrow - Anohni
5. Tell Him - The Drew Vels
6. Empty - Garbage
7. Preguica - The Mosquitos
8. For You - Enemy You
9. God Bless The Girl - David Bowie
10. Just A Day - The Softies
11. Black Cadillac - Joyce Green
12. Sometimes - The Zoo
13. Privilege - Patti Smith
14. Good To Love - FKA Twigs
15. Great No More - The Beths
16. I Love How You Love Me - The Paris Sisters

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Jan 2019, 20:38

Fantastic! Thanks so much. The Garbage track has made me tempted to listen to their newer stuff - I saw them supporting Blondie last year and I felt that they were ok but a little went a veeeeery long way.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 14 Jan 2019, 15:16

The mix I received this time bills itself as a 50s Rock n' Roll and R&B Party and it certainly delivers!

1. Here we go - honking sax, upright bass, steady drums. Not a big fan of the spoken singing and it's not the strongest thing
on this mix but it does introduce and start the party. Especially like the fuzzy sax.
2. This is better, more meat on the bone, a dance tune. It's got a driving beat, nice piano playing.
3. Different feel to this one. This guy has a gravely voice, probably a heavy smoker. It's a simple song and beat, pleasing but limited.
4. Kinda rockabilly/r & b, this is a nice instrumental. It's the best thing so far. Liking the sax lead. Great guitar part. I like this.
5. I like this a lot. Good band, good singer. I may have heard this before. Kinda jump blues but at it's core a good R & B tune.
6. Little change of pace here. Doo Wop, one of my favorite genres. Very nice tenor lead. Very good.
7. Nice bass line, echoey vocal, reverb, fuzzy sax, really interesting. This is a highlight.
8. Another driving R & B tune. Little Richard style voice. Good sax part. This mix certainly holds its theme and flows probably better
than any mix I've received. Definitely suitable for a party.
9. Vocal on this one reminds me of Frogman Henry. Another good one to dance to, the bass and drum carry the day. The sax solo is nice too.
10. It's jitter bug time! This keeps the party going. I really like the tenor vocal lead. The sax and piano solos are also great. This guy really loves Rita, she's the gal for him. I wonder if she has a sister.
11. Now we're in the gospel corner of R & B. Another nice lead vocal. It's a welcome change of pace to the mix, kinda doo wopy, another hightlight.
12. This one kinda came and went. It's not bad, just not as strong as the songs around it. The backing vocals are interesting.
13. This hits the accelerator again. Strong guitar. Piano also nice. The second half really cooks. The guitar saves this one.
14. Talking about strong guitars, this one hits the ground running. A cooking instrumental. Love the reverb and dirty licks. I really like this. Good sax and drums. This is a strong finish. Good selection.

Thanks mixer, good job! One of the most cohesive mixes I've ever received. I've sure I'll be popping this in at a party in the future.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 16 Jan 2019, 15:20

Nick Danger wrote:The mix I received this time bills itself as a 50s Rock n' Roll and R&B Party and it certainly delivers!

1. Here we go - honking sax, upright bass, steady drums. Not a big fan of the spoken singing and it's not the strongest thing
on this mix but it does introduce and start the party. Especially like the fuzzy sax.
2. This is better, more meat on the bone, a dance tune. It's got a driving beat, nice piano playing.
3. Different feel to this one. This guy has a gravely voice, probably a heavy smoker. It's a simple song and beat, pleasing but limited.
4. Kinda rockabilly/r & b, this is a nice instrumental. It's the best thing so far. Liking the sax lead. Great guitar part. I like this.
5. I like this a lot. Good band, good singer. I may have heard this before. Kinda jump blues but at it's core a good R & B tune.
6. Little change of pace here. Doo Wop, one of my favorite genres. Very nice tenor lead. Very good.
7. Nice bass line, echoey vocal, reverb, fuzzy sax, really interesting. This is a highlight.
8. Another driving R & B tune. Little Richard style voice. Good sax part. This mix certainly holds its theme and flows probably better
than any mix I've received. Definitely suitable for a party.
9. Vocal on this one reminds me of Frogman Henry. Another good one to dance to, the bass and drum carry the day. The sax solo is nice too.
10. It's jitter bug time! This keeps the party going. I really like the tenor vocal lead. The sax and piano solos are also great. This guy really loves Rita, she's the gal for him. I wonder if she has a sister.
11. Now we're in the gospel corner of R & B. Another nice lead vocal. It's a welcome change of pace to the mix, kinda doo wopy, another hightlight.
12. This one kinda came and went. It's not bad, just not as strong as the songs around it. The backing vocals are interesting.
13. This hits the accelerator again. Strong guitar. Piano also nice. The second half really cooks. The guitar saves this one.
14. Talking about strong guitars, this one hits the ground running. A cooking instrumental. Love the reverb and dirty licks. I really like this. Good sax and drums. This is a strong finish. Good selection.

Thanks mixer, good job! One of the most cohesive mixes I've ever received. I've sure I'll be popping this in at a party in the future.

I'm really glad you liked most of it. One of my earliest and deepest musical loves is with '50s music - perhaps a product of growing up in the '70s of Happy Days, Grease and then being at just the right age to hear the Stray Cats. Rock and roll, 50s R&B and Doo Wop are still a huge part of what I listen to most, and when I got the impression that you liked some of the same stuff I thought "Awesome! '50s compilation, finally!" Cheers, Nick.

'50s playlist
1. Amos Milburn - Chicken Shack Boogie
2. Champion Jack Dupree - Shim Sham Shimmy
3. Bob Landers with Willie Joe and his Unitar - Cherokee Dance
4. Cal Green - The Big Push
5. Daddy Cleanhead - Something's Goin' On In My Room
6. The Four Dukes - Annie
7. Kip Tyler - She's My Witch
8. Harold Burrage & Willie Dixon Band - She Knocks Me Out
9. Big Maybelle - Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
10. Floyd Dixon - Rita
11. The Marquis - I Don't Want Your Love
12. The Gladiolas - Be Bop Girl
13. Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown - Midnight Hour
14. Mac Rebennack - Storm Warning
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 20 Jan 2019, 02:25

Okay, I got a folk themed mix:

Track one sounds like Steeleye Span displaying their more rocking side. Pretty sure it's them, although I'm not sure I've heard this track before.

Track two is a melancholy folk ballad which sounds like a variation of "Scarborough Fair." Instrumentation is just guitar and some tasteful strings.

Track three is a kind of cynical sounding Christmas song with flutes and a kind of military drum thing going on.

Track four sounds like Maddy Prior/Steeleye Span again, though not a track I immediately recognize. Good harmonies on this one, catchy melody.

Track five is another Christmas themed song with very nice harmonies and flutes and lyrics about ringing out the bells.

Track six is a live version of "Matty Groves" which I know as a Fairport Convention track, although this one has a male lead vocal. Otherwise the arrangement sounds like the Fairport version, so I guess this is them post-Sandy Denny. Good energy in this version.

Track seven sounds like the Pogues doing some old 70's-era singer-songwriter number. Neil Diamond?

Track eight is a wonderful acoustic ballad. Sounds familiar but I can't quite place who it is.

Track nine is "All Around My Hat" by Steeleye Span. I know this one!

Track ten is a more rock-oriented track with an upbeat folky melody. Pretty catchy, though it seems to end to abruptly.

Track eleven is a short, pretty acoustic piece.

All in all an entertaining mix, and I'm very curious to know who some of these tracks are by.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 28 Jan 2019, 14:51

pcqgod wrote:Okay, I got a folk themed mix:

Track one sounds like Steeleye Span displaying their more rocking side. Pretty sure it's them, although I'm not sure I've heard this track before.

Track two is a melancholy folk ballad which sounds like a variation of "Scarborough Fair." Instrumentation is just guitar and some tasteful strings.

Track three is a kind of cynical sounding Christmas song with flutes and a kind of military drum thing going on.

Track four sounds like Maddy Prior/Steeleye Span again, though not a track I immediately recognize. Good harmonies on this one, catchy melody.

Track five is another Christmas themed song with very nice harmonies and flutes and lyrics about ringing out the bells.

Track six is a live version of "Matty Groves" which I know as a Fairport Convention track, although this one has a male lead vocal. Otherwise the arrangement sounds like the Fairport version, so I guess this is them post-Sandy Denny. Good energy in this version.

Track seven sounds like the Pogues doing some old 70's-era singer-songwriter number. Neil Diamond?

Track eight is a wonderful acoustic ballad. Sounds familiar but I can't quite place who it is.

Track ten is a more rock-oriented track with an upbeat folky melody. Pretty catchy, though it seems to end to abruptly.

All in all an entertaining mix, and I'm very curious to know who some of these tracks are by.

Glad you enjoyed the mix - the idea was to do something vaguely Christmasy and Folky.

1 Thomas the Rhymer Steeleye Span Now We Are Six
2 North Country Roy Harper Valentine
3 Christmas Song Jethro Tull Living In The Past
4 Hard Times of Old England Steeleye Span The Very Best of Steeleye Span
5 Magic Bells (Ring Out, Solstice Bells) Jethro Tull Songs From The Wood (The Country Set)
6 Matty Groves (Live) Fairport Convention Live in Finland 71
7 Cracklin' Rosie Shane MacGowan & The Popes The Rare Oul' Stuff
8 My Friend the Sun Family Bandstand
9 All Around My Hat Steeleye Span All Around My Hat
10 Fire At Midnight Jethro Tull Songs From The Wood (The Country Set)
11 End Of A Holiday Fairport Convention What We Did On Our Holidays

The live track from Fairport is from the 71 lineup and has , I presume, Swarbrick on lead Vocals
Track 7 is indeed Shane MacGowan doing Neil Diamond
Track 8 is not exactly folk I guess but its a great track from Family from the Bandstand album
The Tull tracks are from the Songs from the Wood box set except Christmas Song which is from Living in the Past

Cheers and hope you had a great festive season!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 28 Jan 2019, 20:56

Mike Boom wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Okay, I got a folk themed mix:

Glad you enjoyed the mix - the idea was to do something vaguely Christmasy and Folky.

1 Thomas the Rhymer Steeleye Span Now We Are Six
2 North Country Roy Harper Valentine
3 Christmas Song Jethro Tull Living In The Past
4 Hard Times of Old England Steeleye Span The Very Best of Steeleye Span
5 Magic Bells (Ring Out, Solstice Bells) Jethro Tull Songs From The Wood (The Country Set)
6 Matty Groves (Live) Fairport Convention Live in Finland 71
7 Cracklin' Rosie Shane MacGowan & The Popes The Rare Oul' Stuff
8 My Friend the Sun Family Bandstand
9 All Around My Hat Steeleye Span All Around My Hat
10 Fire At Midnight Jethro Tull Songs From The Wood (The Country Set)
11 End Of A Holiday Fairport Convention What We Did On Our Holidays

The live track from Fairport is from the 71 lineup and has , I presume, Swarbrick on lead Vocals
Track 7 is indeed Shane MacGowan doing Neil Diamond
Track 8 is not exactly folk I guess but its a great track from Family from the Bandstand album
The Tull tracks are from the Songs from the Wood box set except Christmas Song which is from Living in the Past

Cheers and hope you had a great festive season!

I was thinking track 10 might have been Jethro Tull. I would have never guessed 8 was Family, though. Interesting!

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 03 Feb 2019, 11:57

Right I've had this long enough. Mix from Pcqgod, which managed for the most part to venture into genres I can like rather than those I absiolutely love but mostly came down on the right side of the line.

1) The “Title track” Let’s Make Rock N Roll which features throughout and as I’m not going to review each separately and to preserve track numbering I shall hereafter refer to as LMRNR. Does what it says. An analysis of making a record going through the component parts building as it goes. This guy may have been first but I bet Sly’s band ended up tighter.
2) 60s sounding , big on the harmony (almost CSN like) but with a bit of psych in the mix. Like this
3) Doesn’t stray a million miles from track 1, but a lot poppier and I’m always a sucker for a good pop tune). Like this two despite the fact that the first couple of bars of the guitar break sounded like it was going to break into the Friends theme !
4) The Bonzos. Always loved this. You’d have to be a right miserable bastard if this doesn’t put a smile on your face.
5) Brit psych pop. There’s tons of this stuff and I have a load on various comps. AT worst generic but it’s hard not to like this sort of thing.
6) Radio ad(?) for Cheap Trick album in which daughter brings the band home to meet the family but grumpy dad (sounding like Rodney Dangerfield) isn’t impressed
7) Sort of power pop verging into soft metal. Jury’s out but it is growing on me.
8) LMRNR
9) Kept thinking all the way through – right I’ve heard the intro you can start the song now. Alas no song came, so this kind of passed me by.
10) Sort of dense blues rock which can go two ways. I never want to hear In A Gadda Da Vida ever again but thankfully this has more in common with stuff I like, Chicago (as CTA) Terry Reid, Spencer Davis etc etcl so works for me. Definitely a grower.
11) Foreign language version of California Sun. Fairly sure I first heard this by The Ramones so like the song and this is certainly interesting.
12) LMRNR
13) Short sharp strident female vocal thrash leaning to Riot Grrl territory. I can love or hate this stuff but this is OK
14) All rhythms and textures, a bit shoegazy even, but this was oddly engaging.
15) Really like this and it sounds oddly familiar. Starts all rack’n’rawl with guitar nad “More Than A feeling” type riffs but develops into a great pop song.
16) Back to tack 5 territory, but whereas that gave us the Northern Line and a cup of tea, here we have cricket on the village green. Not that you need to sell me on the delights of English pastoral whimsy of course. I tried explaining cricket to Harvey K-Tel in London recently with limited success.
17) La bamba. What else can you say. Great of course and easy to see how this was a game changer in putting Latin music on the map.
18) I knew I’d heard this before (I actually own it) First thought with the guitar was Chet Atkins and the vocals had an Andrews Sisters feel. This actually featured on a dTV documentary I watched with Lenny Kaye on the history of the guitar in pop and rock music. Les Paul and Mary Ford. Bought the Proper Records box set mainly for Mr Sandman and How High The Moon but loads more like this one to enjoy.
19) LMRNR
20) The Christmas track and it’s great. Kind of like track 13 but more poppy and less raucous, how I like it.

THanks.
We're way past rhubarb

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Feb 2019, 04:02

Right I've had this long enough. Mix from Pcqgod, which managed for the most part to venture into genres I can like rather than those I absiolutely love but mostly came down on the right side of the line.

1) The “Title track” Let’s Make Rock N Roll which features throughout and as I’m not going to review each separately and to preserve track numbering I shall hereafter refer to as LMRNR. Does what it says. An analysis of making a record going through the component parts building as it goes. This guy may have been first but I bet Sly’s band ended up tighter.

LMRNR is a bonus track on the Young Fresh Fellows' album 'It's Low Beat Time.' I assume it's a real single, but I have no information as to artist/date.

2) 60s sounding , big on the harmony (almost CSN like) but with a bit of psych in the mix. Like this

Pete Best, or should I say The Pete Best Band on the 'Haymans Green' album. Best co-wrote the song and presumably plays drums on it, though how much actual participation by the former Beatle is anyone's guess.

3) Doesn’t stray a million miles from track 1, but a lot poppier and I’m always a sucker for a good pop tune). Like this two despite the fact that the first couple of bars of the guitar break sounded like it was going to break into the Friends theme !

The title track to the second album by The Pandoras. Garage hardliners consider this their sell out album. Also it predates the show "Friends" by around eight years!

4) The Bonzos. Always loved this. You’d have to be a right miserable bastard if this doesn’t put a smile on your face.

Agreed.

5) Brit psych pop. There’s tons of this stuff and I have a load on various comps. AT worst generic but it’s hard not to like this sort of thing.

A song by The Anderson Council (whose name is a play on the name Pink Floyd) from their album 'Assorted Colours' which came out in 2016 or 2017.

6) Radio ad(?) for Cheap Trick album in which daughter brings the band home to meet the family but grumpy dad (sounding like Rodney Dangerfield) isn’t impressed

Bonus on the 'Sex America Cheap Trick' box set.

7) Sort of power pop verging into soft metal. Jury’s out but it is growing on me.

Cheap Trick from their latest album from last year.

8) LMRNR

9) Kept thinking all the way through – right I’ve heard the intro you can start the song now. Alas no song came, so this kind of passed me by.

Some musique concrete by Pink Floyd from the 'Zabriskie Point' soundtrack.

10) Sort of dense blues rock which can go two ways. I never want to hear In A Gadda Da Vida ever again but thankfully this has more in common with stuff I like, Chicago (as CTA) Terry Reid, Spencer Davis etc etcl so works for me. Definitely a grower.

This track is by Curtis Knight, now mainly remembered for having once employed Jimi Hendrix as his guitarist (though I'm pretty sure Hendrix does not appear on this recording).

11) Foreign language version of California Sun. Fairly sure I first heard this by The Ramones so like the song and this is certainly interesting.

The artist is Benny Quick and the track is from the Bear Family compilation 'Surf in Germany.'

12) LMRNR

13) Short sharp strident female vocal thrash leaning to Riot Grrl territory. I can love or hate this stuff but this is OK

The Violators, an early 80's UK punk band that released an e.p. and a handful of singles during their brief existence.

14) All rhythms and textures, a bit shoegazy even, but this was oddly engaging.

Electronic band 808 State.

15) Really like this and it sounds oddly familiar. Starts all rack’n’rawl with guitar nad “More Than A feeling” type riffs but develops into a great pop song.

10cc from their 'Bloody Tourists' album.

16) Back to tack 5 territory, but whereas that gave us the Northern Line and a cup of tea, here we have cricket on the village green. Not that you need to sell me on the delights of English pastoral whimsy of course. I tried explaining cricket to Harvey K-Tel in London recently with limited success.

Turquoise, contemporaries of The Kinks from Muswell Hill.

17) La bamba. What else can you say. Great of course and easy to see how this was a game changer in putting Latin music on the map.

18) I knew I’d heard this before (I actually own it) First thought with the guitar was Chet Atkins and the vocals had an Andrews Sisters feel. This actually featured on a dTV documentary I watched with Lenny Kaye on the history of the guitar in pop and rock music. Les Paul and Mary Ford. Bought the Proper Records box set mainly for Mr Sandman and How High The Moon but loads more like this one to enjoy.

19) LMRNR

20) The Christmas track and it’s great. Kind of like track 13 but more poppy and less raucous, how I like it.

The Shitbirds, featuring the lovely April March, from their sole album 'Famous Recording Artists' (1995)

1. Let's Make Rock n Roll! (drums)
2. "Come with Me" Pete Best
3. "Stop Pretending" The Pandoras
4. "Mickey's Son and Daughter" Bonzo Dog Band
5. "Girl on the Northern Line" The Anderson Council
6. Radio ad for 'Cheap Trick' (1977)
7. "Floating Down" Cheap Trick
8. LMRNR (bass)
9. "Heart Beat, Pig Meat" Pink Floyd
10. "See No Evil" Curtis Knight
11. "California Sun" Benny Quick
12. LMRNR (guitar)
13. "Pointless Slaughter" Violators
14. "Europa" 808 State
15. "Take these Chains" 10cc
16. "Village Green" Turquoise
17. "La Bamba" Ritchie Valens
18. "Hawaiian War Chant" Les Paul and Mary Ford
19. LMRNR (put 'em all together)
20. "Christmas is a-comin" Shitbirds

THanks.

You're welcome!

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 06 Feb 2019, 18:32

I've just ordered Bloody Tourists. I actually love 10cc but somehow got off the bus after Deceptive Bends. Never owned this one probably because I really hate Dreadlock Holiday, but this wouldn't be the only album where I skip stratight to track 2.
We're way past rhubarb

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Feb 2019, 16:03

The Fish wrote:I've just ordered Bloody Tourists. I actually love 10cc but somehow got off the bus after Deceptive Bends. Never owned this one probably because I really hate Dreadlock Holiday, but this wouldn't be the only album where I skip stratight to track 2.

I think it's a very enjoyable collection of pop songs, even if not as adventurous as their earlier stuff.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 10 Feb 2019, 21:27

Its been great listening to this mix, a lot of tracks Im not familiar with but am eager to find out who they are, and a couple of more familiar faves.

Track 1 - Very nice jangly pop song - not sure who this is - very much in the vein of the Sundays which is a good thing

Track 2 - Slower tempo but still nicely jangly pop song and I like it, nice lead vocal and doesn’t outstay its welcome

Track 3 - Great bluegrass/ country track - not sure who it is but again I like it, really nice banjo and fiddle and great vocal

Track 4 - some African high life - extremely enjoyable and lively - great stuff and thankfully its NOT Vampire Weekend

Track 5 - The Skids I believe - not sure what the track is but its unmistakably Stuart Adamson on guitar - lovely

Track 6 - I went from dismissing this to really loving it - it really grows on you with repeated plays - very interested to know who this is - like her vocal and its a nicely full production - reminds me a bit of A Girl Called Eddy

Track 7 - Very nice Beach Boys harmonies - I don’t think it actually is the Beach Boys but its a pretty good imitation , again very interested in who this is.

Track 8 - Very nice slice of Motown - not sure who it is exactly but its predictably great

Track 9 - This is very Prefab Sproutish - but its not - it is however pretty great

Track 10 - Naggingly familiar voice on this seventies sounding power pop ballad but I can’t place it. Kinda Badfinger / Raspberries sounding

Track 11 - Ahh this is Red Sun from the wonderful recent Lindsey Buckingham /Christine McVie album, criminally over looked record, love it as I do the whole album - get well Lindsey.

Track 12 - Southern kinda psych rock track - this is kinda Trafficy /Stephen Stiillsy- is this Dave
Mason ? Nice guitar

Track 13 - Another new track to me - very nice slow tempo country number very atmospheric production

Track 14 - Female singer songwriter track - there is a lot of this around which detracts somewhat from what is a very nicely sung song

Track 15 - Some female rockabilly, some great twangy guitar and plucky upright bass

Track 16 - Liking this a lot - 50s sounding pop with lovely vocals

Track 17 - I think this is Steve Earle - sounds like a trad ballad - sparse but sung suitably gruffly

Track 18 - Van the Man and a live version of one of my most favorite songs Sweet Thing with the added bonus of horns - is this from the live version of Astral Weeks he did ?

Track 19 - This sounds like Tracy Thorn - tho Im not familiar with the track - she is great by definition

Track 20 - Kind of a country punk track with a great lead vocal - interested to know who this is. Nice way to end the mix.

Thanks again to my mixer , a great listen.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Feb 2019, 16:38

Sent! :D

Dr Markus wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 16 Feb 2019, 03:55

Yay!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 17 Feb 2019, 11:04

Mike Boom wrote:Its been great listening to this mix, a lot of tracks Im not familiar with but am eager to find out who they are, and a couple of more familiar faves.

Glad this went down so well. In truth this was initially the "first cut" with a view to playng and see what didn't quite gel and trimming to 15 or 16, but time ran out so just sent it as was. Sorry for the additional review work involved !

Track 1 - Very nice jangly pop song - not sure who this is - very much in the vein of the Sundays which is a good thing

The known common ground of Alvvays suggested this should be a winner. The Popguns

Track 2 - Slower tempo but still nicely jangly pop song and I like it, nice lead vocal and doesn’t outstay its welcome

Lesser known C86 era jangle band Razorcuts

Track 3 - Great bluegrass/ country track - not sure who it is but again I like it, really nice banjo and fiddle and great vocal

I think I previously sent you a track from a collection of civil war songs on 78s. This (and the Steve Earle track) are form a great recent purchase double CD *Divided & United" of current artists covering civil war songs. This one is Loretta Lynn.

Track 4 - some African high life - extremely enjoyable and lively - great stuff and thankfully its NOT Vampire Weekend

Personally I like Vampire Weekend but you are right this is not them. The incomparanle Mahotella QUeens

Track 5 - The Skids I believe - not sure what the track is but its unmistakably Stuart Adamson on guitar - lovely

Yep The Skids

Track 6 - I went from dismissing this to really loving it - it really grows on you with repeated plays - very interested to know who this is - like her vocal and its a nicely full production - reminds me a bit of A Girl Called Eddy

Nicole Atkins in the Neko Case/Lydia Loveless mould

Track 7 - Very nice Beach Boys harmonies - I don’t think it actually is the Beach Boys but its a pretty good imitation , again very interested in who this is.

This is Jerry Yester of Farewell ALderbaran fame from a batch of solo recordings whch gathered dust for a number of years and recently finally saw a realease

Track 8 - Very nice slice of Motown - not sure who it is exactly but its predictably great

Kim Weston proving she doesn't need Marvin to make a reat record.

Track 9 - This is very Prefab Sproutish - but its not - it is however pretty great

I love this album by Magic Kids,the only one they made.

Track 10 - Naggingly familiar voice on this seventies sounding power pop ballad but I can’t place it. Kinda Badfinger / Raspberries sounding

I always like rescuing someone's reputation form the ONE song everyone knows This is Th Rubinoos but isn't I THink We're Alone Now

Track 11 - Ahh this is Red Sun from the wonderful recent Lindsey Buckingham /Christine McVie album, criminally over looked record, love it as I do the whole album - get well Lindsey.

The best Fleetwood Mac album in a long while except of course it isn't. Only Stevie missing so I guess they coudn;t use the name. Steview was no doubt still throwing toys out the pram in her battle with Lindsey. I don't know why if it came to an ultimatum yjey would back her but hey who knows what goes on with that band.

Track 12 - Southern kinda psych rock track - this is kinda Trafficy /Stephen Stiillsy- is this Dave
Mason ? Nice guitar

It is indeed Dave Mason

Track 13 - Another new track to me - very nice slow tempo country number very atmospheric production

This one might be a surprise. It's actually Bob Weir. Even I, who have been listening to Ace for many years thought twice about this one. I mean an album by a 70 year old Bob Weir. Really. But guess wahat it's great

Track 14 - Female singer songwriter track - there is a lot of this around which detracts somewhat from what is a very nicely sung song

Australian Julia Jacklin

Track 15 - Some female rockabilly, some great twangy guitar and plucky upright bass

The Hillbilly Moon Explosion. THe album contains a cover of Call Me and you can hear some echoes of Blondie here.

Track 16 - Liking this a lot - 50s sounding pop with lovely vocals

Clearly not much reggae going on here, but this is "roots of reggae" material from a compilation of early tracks from Coxsone Dodd's studio

Track 17 - I think this is Steve Earle - sounds like a trad ballad - sparse but sung suitably gruffly

Steve indeed from the aforemention comp of civil war songs.

Track 18 - Van the Man and a live version of one of my most favorite songs Sweet Thing with the added bonus of horns - is this from the live version of Astral Weeks he did ?

Much older. This is from the additional volumes of It's Too Late To Stop Now

Track 19 - This sounds like Tracy Thorn - tho Im not familiar with the track - she is great by definition

THis was the token Christmas offering. I've grown to love this song.Reminds me of the romantic elements of Fairytale of New York, with the NY winter setting

Track 20 - Kind of a country punk track with a great lead vocal - interested to know who this is. Nice way to end the mix.

Shannon Shaw who normally sings with SHannon and The Clams, here going solo

Thanks again to my mixer , a great listen.

Glad you enjoyed it

1. The Popguns - City Lights
2. Rzorcuts - Goodnight England
3. Loretta Lynn - Take Your Gun ad Go John
4. The Mahotella Queens - Zibuyile Nonyaka
5. The Skids - Out of Town
6. Nicole Atkins - Together We're Both Alone
7. Jerry Yester - Brookyn Girl
8. Kim Weston - Looking For The Right Guy
9. Magic Kids - Hideout
10. The Rubinoos - Perfect Stranger
11. Buckingham/McVie - Red Sun
12. Dave Mason - Shouldn't Have Took More Than You Gave
13. Bob Weir - Gallop On The Run
14. Julia Jacklin - Motherland
15. The Hillbilly Moon Explosion - Desperation
16. Owen & Millie - Do You Know
17. Steve Earle - Just Before The Battle Mother
18. Van Morrisob - Sweet Thing
19. Tracy Thorn - Tinsel & Lights
20. Shannon Shaw - Lord of Alaska

We're way past rhubarb

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 19 Feb 2019, 00:07

I've been meaning to get that expanded Van (in more ways than one), Too Late is such a great album and I must check out the Bob Weir album out too.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 04 Mar 2019, 07:22

Ok, after my shocking carelessness with Minnie's first sent disc, i've listened to this one over the past week and enjoyed it a lot.

1. I love the piano on this one. A relatively long rock/indie type tune, with a repeated piano motif that is quite lovely and hypnotic. The tune itself was simple but most pleasant.

2. Another nice indie-rock tune with a more poppy feel, enjoyed the twangy, echo-y guitar.

3. A fine, crunchy punk number, i'm sure i've heard it before on a comp. somewhere but can't remember. Look forward to the reveal.

4. The voice of Bowie is unmistakable, but i don't recognize the tune, so it must be one of his 90s or 00s records i don't remember. An enjoyable tune.

5. The Rezillos doing 'Glad All Over", it was so good hearing this one again! Made me spin Can't Stand... this week as well.

6. A bouncy pop rock number with some cheeky fun lyrics, look forward to the reveal!

7. I'd swear that Kirsty MaColl's voice but i don't know this one, sounds a bit later than stuff i know. A strong tune, nice and catchy.

8. A German version of 'Eleanor Rigby'?? :lol: This one .... wasn't really for me, but i'm still interested to hear the story behind it.

9. And The Waterboy's to close, had me reaching for Fisherman's Blues too, been a long time since i heard it. It doesn't hit me as much as it used to back in the day, but i does give me a warm nostalgic feeling.

Thanks again Anna for the effort to send this mix, much appreciated!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Apr 2019, 14:34

Hey pal! I just realised I didn’t do a reveal
Will do this weekend
Sorry, we had a shit busy March!

Dr Markus wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 24 Apr 2019, 03:34

Busy April too I reckon! ;) xo
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Return to “Mix Club”