March 2018 Mix reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
fange
100% fangetastic

March 2018 Mix reviews

Postby fange » 13 Mar 2018, 05:25

An interesting selection in this mix!

1. An 80s or 90s bluesy-soul number about a Friday night fish fry. A mellow bit of fun to start.

2. A contemporary pop-rock tune, something like what The Killers do. Ok, but kind of glided by me whenever i played it this week without real sticking.

3. Van the Man with 'Natalia'. That voice is just like a comfy old warm blanket, and the song is a nice uptempo bit of soul-rock. Haven't listened to Wavelength for the longest time, must fix that.

4. Wow, another person who likes Mel Brown! Excellent! This one is off The Wizard, 'W-2 Withholdin', and i almost like it as much as Chicken Fat.

5. A lovely southern soul tune that i can't place, but definitely feel i should. Lovely arrangements and vocals. Great; look forward to seeing who it is.

6. Luther Allison! I was playing his Motown compilation a few weeks ago, after moving and unpacking my CDs again. Great funky blues, 'Raggedy and Dirty'.

7. I like this one, a crazy little tune with a wild vocal, like sped-up country-tinged rock and roll. Another good one, look forward to the reveal.

8. This one's been bugging me cause i'm sure i know it and maybe even owned it but can't place that voice this week. A nice light soul voice on the lead, but a big soul ballad with all the filling behind him. Good stuff.

9. Another wild little tune, with strong Spanish leanings. A fun little number.

10. The unmistakable Odetta doing 'Joshua'. Lovely. Must play more Odetta, cheers for the reminder.

11. A jumping little bit of rock and roll of more recent vintage; good fun, the kind of sound that's right up my alley. The change near the end is interesting and unexpected.

12. A gorgeous bit of classic doo wop. Right in my wheelhouse. The recording quality sounds really good, maybe late-50s. Looking forward to reveal.

13. Same as 12, except i have this one, The Students doing 'I'm So Young'. Sometimes classic doo wop just hits that spot of romanticism inside better than anything else.

14. Beautiful blues/jazz guitar workout in the style of the early acoustic guitar masters. Lovely.

15. Gorgeous piano tinkling from another player who i'm sure i know but can't call for sure, doing a wildly personal take on what sounds like 'Ain't Misbehaving'. Great.

16. Great way to finish, Mister Magic himself Grover W Jr. Great mid-70s jazz funk.

Cheers mixer, a fun and diverse set, and looking forward to the reveal on several of those above.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Nick Danger

Re: March 2018 Mix reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 14 Mar 2018, 13:47

An interesting selection in this mix!

1. An 80s or 90s bluesy-soul number about a Friday night fish fry. A mellow bit of fun to start.

It's southern soul/bluesman Mel Waiters from 2006.

2. A contemporary pop-rock tune, something like what The Killers do. Ok, but kind of glided by me whenever i played it this week without real sticking.

Neon Trees from their 2010 album Habits.

3. Van the Man with 'Natalia'. That voice is just like a comfy old warm blanket, and the song is a nice uptempo bit of soul-rock. Haven't listened to Wavelength for the longest time, must fix that.

One of my favorite deeper Van cuts.

4. Wow, another person who likes Mel Brown! Excellent! This one is off The Wizard, 'W-2 Withholdin', and i almost like it as much as Chicken Fat.

I love this oddly named instrumental from Mel.

5. A lovely southern soul tune that i can't place, but definitely feel i should. Lovely arrangements and vocals. Great; look forward to seeing who it is.

Obscure Memphis girl group The Charmels with their single from 1967. I love this track.

6. Luther Allison! I was playing his Motown compilation a few weeks ago, after moving and unpacking my CDs again. Great funky blues, 'Raggedy and Dirty'.

Yep.

7. I like this one, a crazy little tune with a wild vocal, like sped-up country-tinged rock and roll. Another good one, look forward to the reveal.

The artist here, Jack Wood, paid to have 100 copies of this created in 1967. Last year it was found and used in a Bacardi Rum commercial and given new life. This is where I heard it and sought it out.

8. This one's been bugging me cause i'm sure i know it and maybe even owned it but can't place that voice this week. A nice light soul voice on the lead, but a big soul ballad with all the filling behind him. Good stuff.

This is the mostly forgotten and underappreciated artist Billy Stewart (Summertime, Sitting In The Park) with his 1967 single Cross My Heart. One of my favorite singers. The background vocals are by the Dells.

9. Another wild little tune, with strong Spanish leanings. A fun little number.

Gypsy punk group Gogol Bordello from their 2010 album Transcontinental Hustle.

10. The unmistakable Odetta doing 'Joshua'. Lovely. Must play more Odetta, cheers for the reminder.

Love this, just her voice and a gently strummed acoustic guitar.

11. A jumping little bit of rock and roll of more recent vintage; good fun, the kind of sound that's right up my alley. The change near the end is interesting and unexpected.

Canadian punk group The Nils from 1987.

12. A gorgeous bit of classic doo wop. Right in my wheelhouse. The recording quality sounds really good, maybe late-50s. Looking forward to reveal.

Once In Awhile by The Chimes, reached number 11 on the U.S. charts in 1961.

13. Same as 12, except i have this one, The Students doing 'I'm So Young'. Sometimes classic doo wop just hits that spot of romanticism inside better than anything else.

The lead singer Leroy King had a fine and distinctive voice.

14. Beautiful blues/jazz guitar workout in the style of the early acoustic guitar masters. Lovely.

Django Reinhardt from the 1930's.

15. Gorgeous piano tinkling from another player who i'm sure i know but can't call for sure, doing a wildly personal take on what sounds like 'Ain't Misbehaving'. Great.

A live recording from Art Tatum also from the 30's.

16. Great way to finish, Mister Magic himself Grover W Jr. Great mid-70s jazz funk.

One of my favorite modern jazz tracks.

Cheers mixer, a fun and diverse set, and looking forward to the reveal on several of those above.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun to make.

Tracklist-

1. Friday Night Fish Fry - Mel Waiters
2. Girls And Boys In School - Neon Trees
3. Natalia - Van Morrison
4. W-2 Withholding - Mel Brown
5. As Long As I've Got You - The Charmels
6. Raggedy And Dirty - Luther Allison
7. Born To Wander - Jack Wood
8. Cross My Heart - Billy Stewart
9. My Companjera - Gogol Bordello
10. Joshua - Odetta
11. Daylight - The Nils
12. Once In Awhile - The Chimes
13. I'm So Young - The Students
14. St. Louis Blues - Django Reinhardt
15. Ain't Misbehavin' - Art Tatum
16. Mister Magic - Grover Washington, Jr.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 14 Mar 2018, 23:55

Cheers Nick!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 18 Mar 2018, 21:58

1. Lead off track features loud guitars and pounding drums with a chorus about "press darlings." No idea who this is but I'm interested to find out.

2. Sounds like some late 70's female-fronted punk band. The Slits or X-Ray Spex maybe?

3. Slow tempo thing with distorted vocals. Nice dreamy groove.

4. Upbeat pop-rock thing with slide guitar and a refrain of "don't talk to me about heroes." Pretty catchy.

5. Dance number with African percussion in the mix and an Indian musical influenced melody. Sounds pretty 80's Euro-disco.

6. A rocking New Orleans r & b groove on this. Sounds like the funky Meters.

7. A catchy punk/pop thing with a female vocalist who kind of reminds me of Bjork. Definitely want to know who this is.

8. An upbeat neo-psychedelic thing that sounds descended from "Tomorrow Never Knows." Great drumming on this track.

9. Very ethereal number with female vocals. I strongly suspect this is Cocteau Twins.

10. Unmistakably Robyn Hitchcock doing a kind of doo-wop takeoff.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Mar 2018, 14:23

I'll reveal and review soon! Sorry, been busy this week with SXSW, birthdays, house hunting and what have you.....
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Mar 2018, 01:25

Ey up, pcqgod! I was yer mixer this month, not that that will have taken a lot of working out on your part...so, onto the reveal!

1. Lead off track features loud guitars and pounding drums with a chorus about "press darlings." No idea who this is but I'm interested to find out.

With pleasure! Adam and the Antz and 'Press Darlings'.

2. Sounds like some late 70's female-fronted punk band. The Slits or X-Ray Spex maybe?

Not that far off, but no cigar.The Au Pairs and "You".

Wonderful innit? Atlas Sound - 'Kid Klimax"

4. Upbeat pop-rock thing with slide guitar and a refrain of "don't talk to me about heroes." Pretty catchy.

Black Grape and "Kelly's Heroes"

5. Dance number with African percussion in the mix and an Indian musical influenced melody. Sounds pretty 80's Euro-disco.

Correct! The wonderful Blancmange and "Living on the Ceiling"

Uh-huh, you know it! Bo Dollis and the Wild Magnolias and "Handa Wanda"

7. A catchy punk/pop thing with a female vocalist who kind of reminds me of Bjork. Definitely want to know who this is.

This is Brazilian band CSS from their shit hot debut album Cansei de Der Sexy and "Off the Hook" The whole album is great. I have never listened to their following albums, for some reason I thought they had disbanded! I must check em out! You'll love the debut album and should get it!

8. An upbeat neo-psychedelic thing that sounds descended from "Tomorrow Never Knows." Great drumming on this track.

The Chemical Brothers and "Let Forever Be." Nobody ever talks about The Chemical Brothers on BCB. I don't know why.

9. Very ethereal number with female vocals. I strongly suspect this is Cocteau Twins.

Close, close. This is Harold Budd and The Cocteau Twins from "the Moon and the Melodies" and "Ooze Out and Away Onehow"

Yeah! From Jewels For Sophia - "Mexican God".

Hope you enjoyed!
Now, to go and listen to your disc....

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 21 Mar 2018, 14:06

My mix has arrived from the Far East with a title of Shake, Shout, and Soul. It definitely delivers on that. The R & B/Funk genre is consistent throughout and makes for a great flow. This mix is a great party!

(1) This is one of the few tracks I think I've heard before but maybe not by this artist. Has a Temptations kind of feel/arrangement but I don't think it's them. It's a great song and great start.

(2) The artist is introduced as Little Ray. Ray and the band have great energy. Hot band, handclaps, uptempo, it's a party!

(3) The rhythm section carries the day here. Drums, bass, call and response vocals, jungle rhythms, nice guitar licks.

(4) Kicks off with a growl, says he's the wolfman. It sounds vintage, I'm guessing 60's, well done and entertaining.

(5) More solid rhythm, nice guitar, sings about solid rock and it delivers.

(6) First real prominent organ lead, a more laid back vocal, good singer. Love the organ.

(7) Horns and organ move to the front on this happy, upbeat, affirming tune. I like this.

(8) Buried distorted vocals, DJ like, horns and drums, mostly an instrumental, some interesting sounds.

(9) Great band, good vocal, layered sound. As with the rest of this mix I have no idea who it is. another good one.

(10) Not enjoying this one as much as the rest of the mix. Does have a nice bass solo in the middle.

(11) This one is also saved by a great rhythm section. Ok but . . .

(12) This one is a standout. Great guitar, drums. I feel like I know the singer but can't come up with who it is. Nice horn part, good vocal.

(13) This is a really nice instrumental, good horn part, nice guitar solo, too short. I like this a lot.

(14) Heavy bass, ballsy vocal, another familiar sounding voice. It's a tight band, great horns and guitar. This is good, a strong finish.

Thanks so much to my mixer! It felt like a party throughout with a very consistent flow. I had no idea who anyone was and am really looking forward to the reveal.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 21 Mar 2018, 17:45

Alleged Local Policeman wrote:Ey up, pcqgod! I was yer mixer this month, not that that will have taken a lot of working out on your part...so, onto the reveal!

With pleasure! Adam and the Antz and 'Press Darlings'.

Not that far off, but no cigar.The Au Pairs and "You".

Wonderful innit? Atlas Sound - 'Kid Klimax"

Black Grape and "Kelly's Heroes"

Correct! The wonderful Blancmange and "Living on the Ceiling"

Uh-huh, you know it! Bo Dollis and the Wild Magnolias and "Handa Wanda"

This is Brazilian band CSS from their shit hot debut album Cansei de Der Sexy and "Off the Hook" The whole album is great. I have never listened to their following albums, for some reason I thought they had disbanded! I must check em out! You'll love the debut album and should get it!

The Chemical Brothers and "Let Forever Be." Nobody ever talks about The Chemical Brothers on BCB. I don't know why.

Close, close. This is Harold Budd and The Cocteau Twins from "the Moon and the Melodies" and "Ooze Out and Away Onehow"

Yeah! From Jewels For Sophia - "Mexican God".

Hope you enjoyed!
Now, to go and listen to your disc....

Thanks. I did like most of your selections, and will definitely check out more CSS.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 22 Mar 2018, 10:27

Nick Danger wrote:My mix has arrived from the Far East with a title of Shake, Shout, and Soul. It definitely delivers on that. The R & B/Funk genre is consistent throughout and makes for a great flow. This mix is a great party!

Really glad you enjoyed it! The 60s R&B/Soul party feel was exactly what I was going for.

(1) This is one of the few tracks I think I've heard before but maybe not by this artist. Has a Temptations kind of feel/arrangement but I don't think it's them. It's a great song and great start.

This is the sadly little-known Derek Martin. Check out his '60s singles like 'Flashback' as well, some great music.

(2) The artist is introduced as Little Ray. Ray and the band have great energy. Hot band, handclaps, uptempo, it's a party!

"Little Ray" Jimenez here, with garage rock legends The Premiers. It's a party alright!

(3) The rhythm section carries the day here. Drums, bass, call and response vocals, jungle rhythms, nice guitar licks.

Some rockin' soul from Detroit here, courtesy of Nathaniel Mayer and the Fortune Records crew.

(4) Kicks off with a growl, says he's the wolfman. It sounds vintage, I'm guessing 60's, well done and entertaining.

One of my favorite tunes here from Round Robin, mixing garage rock with lashings of R&B.

(5) More solid rhythm, nice guitar, sings about solid rock and it delivers.

Legendary guitarist Lowman "El" Pauling doing some of what he did best, along with his "5" Royales cohort Royal Abbit. One of the many fabulous Federal sides they cut with their groups.

(6) First real prominent organ lead, a more laid back vocal, good singer. Love the organ.

Some fabulous Chicago soul-blues from Ricky Allen. That organ, guitar & rhythm section mix is just perfect.

(7) Horns and organ move to the front on this happy, upbeat, affirming tune. I like this.

Another unfairly little-known slice of soul, this is from Benny Spellman (best known for 'Fortune Teller') and arrangements by Allen Toussaint.

(8) Buried distorted vocals, DJ like, horns and drums, mostly an instrumental, some interesting sounds.

Over to Memphis for this one, one of Jamaican-born Eddie Kirk(land)'s '60s R&B burners on Volt.

(9) Great band, good vocal, layered sound. As with the rest of this mix I have no idea who it is. another good one.

The inimitable Sugar Pie DeSanto with the Chess crew. So explosive yet soulful.

(10) Not enjoying this one as much as the rest of the mix. Does have a nice bass solo in the middle.

The prince of the '60s dance crazes here, Alvin Cash, doing one of his many singles from that decade.

(11) This one is also saved by a great rhythm section. Ok but . . .

Another seasoned R&B legend here, Don Gardner, cutting a side to get down with the mid-60s kids.

(12) This one is a standout. Great guitar, drums. I feel like I know the singer but can't come up with who it is. Nice horn part, good vocal.

The magnificent Syl Johnson, with one of his excellent Twinight Records singles before left for Hi. Peak late-60s Chicago soul-blues.

(13) This is a really nice instrumental, good horn part, nice guitar solo, too short. I like this a lot.

Johnny Jones and the King Casuals here, semi-famous for being one of the first bands Jimi Hendrix and Billy Cox joined for a while after leaving the army. 'Soul Poppin' is from much later in the '60s, but Jones' guitar playing is great, and the band swing like hell.

(14) Heavy bass, ballsy vocal, another familiar sounding voice. It's a tight band, great horns and guitar. This is good, a strong finish.

Some stomping Fame Records soul to finish up, with Jimmy Hughes and the single version of one of his best tunes.

Thanks so much to my mixer! It felt like a party throughout with a very consistent flow. I had no idea who anyone was and am really looking forward to the reveal.

So happy you liked it. Keep rockin!

Shake, Shout & Soul!

1. Derek Martin - Soul Power
2. Lil' Ray and The Premiers - Shake, Shout and Soul!
3. Nathaniel Mayer - I Had A Dream
4. Round Robin - I'm The Wolfman
5. El Pauling and The Royalton - Solid Rock
6. Ricky Allen - Cut You A-Loose
7. Benny Spellman - I Feel Good
8. Eddie Kirk - The Hawg, Part 1
9. Sugar Pie DeSanto - Go Go Power
10. Alvin Cash and The Crawlers - The Penguin (Tuxedo Bird)
11. Don Gardner - My Baby Likes To Boogaloo
12. Syl Johnson - I Feel An Urge
13. Johnny Jones and the King Casuals - Soul Poppin'
14. Jimmy Hughes - Neighbor, Neighbor
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Mar 2018, 01:49

OK!
1. Kicking off with Alfred Hitchcock, talking about The Birds...
2. Onto something penny whistley, singing about work being like cold oatmeal - hmmm. I can't say this is NOT my bag, but it doesn't feel LIKE my bag either..it actually sounds quite retroish but I imagine that it's NEW retro...
3. A nice little guitar ditty with a nice beat about having someone on your mind. I wish the lyrics were a bit louder in the mix I found myself struggling to listen. Nice though!
4. A Fab Four inspired song about Judy Over The Rainbow - absolutely no idea who this little dreamy song is by!
5. SYD! :D
6. Ah, back to a song I don't know! Nice vaguely power pop about something angsty..
7. I'd Like To Buy The World A Coke!
8. This song sounds very familiar - Husker Du-lite - but it ain't. Interested to know who this is!
9. Hmm - I am sure I should like this, but it sounds like Enya trying a bit too hard
10. Fantastic slice of music about momma rocking a baby to a lullaby - LOVE IT
11. I don't really know who this is, but it's a song about squirrels and daisies and it sound like Harry Nilsson so I love it
12. I'm guessing this is an advert for VOX - and as a VOX amp owner I can only give it a thumbs up!
13. I have absolutely no idea who this is, but I absolutely love it - a narrated song about someone being in Hollywood - fantastic
14. Berlin! The Metro! Fuck, I haven't heard this in years!
15. I am pretty damn sure this is Doug Sahm but I have no idea what. As you can imagine, I have grown to appreciate Doug!
16. Hmmm...this sounds familiar - and like a theme tune to something and I can't think the hell what. But it's absolutely fucking great!
17. Another powery pop number, again, a complete mystery to me! I like it.
18. Nope, stumped again. No idea who this is at all!
19. This sounds VERY MUCH like Iris Dement but not sure what song - don't know her too well, this song sounds better than most I have heard
20. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Only Live Twice
21. A small song about stretch LEVIS!

Cheers thanks so much for this! Slow starter but heated up quickly.Can't wait to see the reveal!!

Dr Markus wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 29 Mar 2018, 17:11

OK, I don’t have my guide handy, so I have to do this by your descriptions:

1. Kicking off with Alfred Hitchcock, talking about The Birds...

2. Onto something penny whistley, singing about work being like cold oatmeal - hmmm. I can't say this is NOT my bag, but it doesn't feel LIKE my bag either..it actually sounds quite retroish but I imagine that it's NEW retro...

The is Poi Dog Pondering, a Hawaiian band that for reason settled in Austin and became local favorites. The song "Living with the Dreaming Body" is the lead off track from their self-titled debut in 1989. Check out the video on Youtube shot on Guadalupe Street.

3. A nice little guitar ditty with a nice beat about having someone on your mind. I wish the lyrics were a bit louder in the mix I found myself struggling to listen. Nice though!

The Reivers, local Austin favorites. This is a version of the song "Electra" that appeared as a bonus track on the cd version of their debut album, 'Translate Slowly' (1985) and was re-recorded later.

4. A Fab Four inspired song about Judy Over The Rainbow - absolutely no idea who this little dreamy song is by!

This is a band called The Orgone Box, from a self-titled album released in 2001.

5. SYD! :D

Yes, John Peel session recorded in February 1970.

6. Ah, back to a song I don't know! Nice vaguely power pop about something angsty..

The Muffs with "Sad Tomorrow," from their sophomore album 'Blonder and Blonder' from 1995.

7. I'd Like To Buy The World A Coke!

8. This song sounds very familiar - Husker Du-lite - but it ain't. Interested to know who this is!

"Somewhere Else" by yet another Austin group, Doctors' Mob, from their debut album 'Headache Machine' released in 1985.

9. Hmm - I am sure I should like this, but it sounds like Enya trying a bit too hard

Hilarious! This is The Changelings from their 2002 album 'Astronomica.’ I’m pretty sure the track is called “Orbit.”

10. Fantastic slice of music about momma rocking a baby to a lullaby - LOVE IT

Houston-based singer Big Mama Thornton with “Rock-a-Bye Baby.” From the ‘Hound Dog: The Peacock Recordings’ compilation, original single 1954.

11. I don't really know who this is, but it's a song about squirrels and daisies and it sound like Harry Nilsson so I love it

Ben Folds Five with “Kate” from the album ‘Whatever and Ever, Amen,’ 1997.

12. I'm guessing this is an advert for VOX - and as a VOX amp owner I can only give it a thumbs up!

13. I have absolutely no idea who this is, but I absolutely love it - a narrated song about someone being in Hollywood – fantastic

“Nick Cave Dolls” by Bongwater from their epic ‘The Power of Pussy’ long-player, 1990.

14. Berlin! The Metro! Fuck, I haven't heard this in years!

Great, isn’t it?

15. I am pretty damn sure this is Doug Sahm but I have no idea what. As you can imagine, I have grown to appreciate Doug!

Yes, indeed. The song is “I Wanna Be Your Mama Again,” single B-side that also appeared on the Sir Douglas Quintet album ‘Mendocino’ (1969).

16. Hmmm...this sounds familiar - and like a theme tune to something and I can't think the hell what. But it's absolutely fucking great!

Split Enz with “Six Months in a Leaky Boat,” from their album ‘Time and Tide’ 1982.

17. Another powery pop number, again, a complete mystery to me! I like it.

Sixteen Deluxe from Austin, Texas with “Over and Over,” from ‘The Moonman is Blue’ e.p., 1999.

18. Nope, stumped again. No idea who this is at all!

Another Austin band, Flowerhead from their debut album ‘ka-Bloom’ released in 1992.

19. This sounds VERY MUCH like Iris Dement but not sure what song - don't know her too well, this song sounds better than most I have heard

Yes. The song “Let the Mystery Be” was used as the theme song for the television program “The Leftovers” (filmed in Lockhart, Texas) during its second season.

20. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Only Live Twice

Houston’s Pain Teens, from a compilation called ‘Love & Napalm’ released in 1993 that featured various Texas groups on the Trance Syndicate label.

21. A small song about stretch LEVIS!

1. The Birds promo
2. Poi Dog Pondering “Living with the Dreaming Body”
3. The Reivers “Electra”
4. Orgone Box “Judy Over the Rainbow”
5. Syd Barrett “Terrapin”
6. Muffs “Sad Tomorrow”
7. Coke commercial
8. Doctors’ Mob “Somewhere Else”
9. Changelings “Orbit”
10. Big Mama Thornton “Rock-a-Bye Baby”
11. Ben Folds Five “Kate”
12. VOX commercial
13. Bongwater “Nick Cave Dolls”
14. Berlin “The Metro”
15. Sir Douglas Quintet “I Wanna Be Your Mama Again”
16. Split Enz “Six Months in a Leaky Boat”
17. Sixteen Deluxe “Over and Over”
18. Flowerhead “All Along the Way”
19. Iris Dement “Let the Mystery Be”
20. Pain Teens “You Only Live Twice”
21. Jefferson Airplane Levi’s commercial

Glad you (mostly) liked it!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Mar 2018, 20:50

Thanks! Lots of that I really liked and I will check out!
I went and watched that Poi Dog Pondering video. Rarely have I wanted to punch so many band members in the face simultaneously.
I probably need to do something about these urges, but still..

Dr Markus wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 29 Mar 2018, 20:57

Cheeky Cheeky Naughty Sneaky wrote:Thanks! Lots of that I really liked and I will check out!
I went and watched that Poi Dog Pondering video. Rarely have I wanted to punch so many band members in the face simultaneously.
I probably need to do something about these urges, but still..

They did have their detractors.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Mar 2018, 20:59

:)

Dr Markus wrote:

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Apr 2018, 19:55

Greatly enjoyed this disc of rootsy americana stuff and some great guitar pop too , very anxious to know who several tracks are by in order to investigate further!

Track 1 - Something old timey - sounds like Kate and Anna McGarrigles grandmother, and as I love Kate and Anna this is pretty great too.

Track 2 - Enjoyed this one too - countryish rootsy rock, nice hammond organ and great harmony singing - lovely

Track 3 - This sounds like the Staple Singers - its great of course, more nice organ.

Track 4 - Beautiful - EmmyLou Harris, not familiar with this track but I love her voice and the harmony singing is sublime.

Track 5 - It seems apt to be listening to this disc on a Sunday afternoon, its certainly taking me to church.
Have no idea who this is , a little bit Little Featish - good stuff

Track 6 - Sounds like a Tom Waits track without Tom Waits singing - sounds like Marc Ribot on guitar

Track 7 - This sounds like the Sundays but its not, it is however fantastic - I really love this track and need to know who it is so I can get some more

Track 8 - This is another beautiful track - a little bit Joni but its own thing - wonderful, I need to more of this too

Track 9 - Something more modern and more poppish , a bit too polished for me, its not horrible but its just about the only track on the disc I didn't really care for, reminds me somewhat of that Meghan Trainor song “Im going to love you, Like Im going to lose you.”

Track 10 - This has some really nice guitar playing, just electric guitar finger picking and voice.

Track 11 - This is a very cool soul number , sounds like sixties or seventies ,have no idea who it is

Track 12 - Some seventies Funk which is really nice, nice wah wah guitar Sly territory but its not Sly

Track 13 - Nice Beatly power pop kinda number, nice harmonies, very enjoyable.

Track 14 - Another power pop song but don’t know the track, seems to be a Christmas song, like it a lot. Its like a Colin Moulding song but its not

Track 15 - Like this too, kinda low key but very nice swing to it and nice vocals - good stuff

Track 16 - Some really nice banjo and guitar picking on this bluegrass track , nice fiddle too.

Track 17 - Don’t know this either, but right up my alley so to speak, great track, very interested in who this is, love the guitar playing.

Thanks very much Mr Fish, greatly enjoyed listening to this disc and looking forward to hearing more by some of these artists.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 22 Apr 2018, 11:38

So wrapping things up (my reveal to follow) disc from Mike Boom, which I enjoyed a lot with the caveat that despite having a high tolerance for all manner of unusual voices,this mix did put that to the test on 2 or 3 tracks

1) A weird piece of nonsense which has to be Ivor Cutler I’m guessing. Hard nor to like the sheer bonkersness of this.
2) Great slice of 60s US pop. Has that easy country rock lite vibe that the Monkees did so well. Terrific
3) Every time I play this I try to get a hook on the tune which is quite elusive. This thing is all over the place and sounds like he is making it up on the spot. However the hints of swing and syncopation make this quite enjoyable. Ends up like a piece of 10cc “cleverness” but that isn’t a bad thing in my book
4) Love this. It may be slightly overblown but sounds like when powerpop goes ballady. I mean who doesn’t love Overnite senstation.
5) Jaunty folk which I liked but I struggled a bit with the blokey vocal style (which given I like Billy Bragg….)
6) Kept trying to work out if this is Cat Stevens. Certainly similarities in vocal style. Never convoinced about CS and whether this is him or not suffers the same issues for me. Something missing at its core that holds it back. For all that there are at least two bona fide classic Cat Stevens songs (First Cut and Father and Son). Anyway as George Costanza would say it’s not you it’s me.
7) wonderful ramshackle affair and catchy as hell. Like this a lot.
8) Another one that pushes my tolerance for certain voices to the limit. I really like the baroque psych vibe going on here, but the voice is just a bit too flat and miserable for me (which given that I like Mark Kozelek….)
9) I knew straight away this was something I owned but it took me a while to fetch the name from the aging memory banks. Bebop DeLuxe. Good to hear this again.
10) Well you now know I’m very much on board with Mr Harper. This is a particular favourite and although I’m going back 40 years + I’m pretty certain Valentine was my first Roy Harper album.
11) Like the harpsichord sound of the intro. Therefter it takes a while to get going but builds into something rather good.
12) This sounds like Sam Philips who I like a lot. Another winner
13) Cutler. Still as bonkers as he was 12 tracks ago.

Thanks Gary. Definitely a few here that will require further investigation
We're way past rhubarb

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 22 Apr 2018, 15:39

The Fish wrote:So wrapping things up (my reveal to follow) disc from Mike Boom, which I enjoyed a lot with the caveat that despite having a high tolerance for all manner of unusual voices,this mix did put that to the test on 2 or 3 tracks

1) A weird piece of nonsense which has to be Ivor Cutler I’m guessing. Hard nor to like the sheer bonkersness of this.
2) Great slice of 60s US pop. Has that easy country rock lite vibe that the Monkees did so well. Terrific
3) Every time I play this I try to get a hook on the tune which is quite elusive. This thing is all over the place and sounds like he is making it up on the spot. However the hints of swing and syncopation make this quite enjoyable. Ends up like a piece of 10cc “cleverness” but that isn’t a bad thing in my book
4) Love this. It may be slightly overblown but sounds like when powerpop goes ballady. I mean who doesn’t love Overnite senstation.
5) Jaunty folk which I liked but I struggled a bit with the blokey vocal style (which given I like Billy Bragg….)
6) Kept trying to work out if this is Cat Stevens. Certainly similarities in vocal style. Never convoinced about CS and whether this is him or not suffers the same issues for me. Something missing at its core that holds it back. For all that there are at least two bona fide classic Cat Stevens songs (First Cut and Father and Son). Anyway as George Costanza would say it’s not you it’s me.
7) wonderful ramshackle affair and catchy as hell. Like this a lot.
8) Another one that pushes my tolerance for certain voices to the limit. I really like the baroque psych vibe going on here, but the voice is just a bit too flat and miserable for me (which given that I like Mark Kozelek….)
9) I knew straight away this was something I owned but it took me a while to fetch the name from the aging memory banks. Bebop DeLuxe. Good to hear this again.
10) Well you now know I’m very much on board with Mr Harper. This is a particular favourite and although I’m going back 40 years + I’m pretty certain Valentine was my first Roy Harper album.
11) Like the harpsichord sound of the intro. Therefter it takes a while to get going but builds into something rather good.
12) This sounds like Sam Philips who I like a lot. Another winner
13) Cutler. Still as bonkers as he was 12 tracks ago.

Thanks Gary. Definitely a few here that will require further investigation

1. Lemonade - Ivor Cutler
It is indeed the very bonkers Mr Cutler and his spoken word, harmonium accompanied craziness

2. Western Union - The Five Americans
Very redolent of the Monkees, love the Vox Continental organ

3. Late Last Night - Split Enz
Kiwi band Split Enz in their early, semi-prog phase, from their Phil Manzernera produced second album. Their early stuff is really worth investigating for something different.

4. Down in Splendor - Straitjacket Fits
Another Kiwi band from Dunedin, they had a pop side and a harsher side, love both. This from their second album Melt

5. Let's Go Thundering (Live) - Robyn Hitchcock
From the live Storefront movie

6. Sun/C79 - Cat Stevens
Indeed it is "the Cat" from Buddha and the Chocolate Box, which I think was his last truly great album.

7. Court In The Act - Lindisfarne
The wonderful Lindsifarne from the Dingly Dell album, great band and alway fun.

8. The Lady Rachel (2003 Remastered Version) - Kevin Ayers
Know what you mean about Ayers voice, I guess you get used to it after a while and his stuff is always original tho often patchy, from the Joy of a Toy album

9. Adventures In a Yorkshire Landscape - Be Bop Deluxe

10 Forget Me Not - Roy Harper
Valentine was my first Harper album too (courtesy of my brothers record collection, which meant mine too) - this is from the HQ album

11. The Wanting Comes In Waves / Repaid - The Decembrists
Took me a while to warm up to the Decembrists - I couldn't get past Melloys voice, but it really doesn't stand in the way for me anymore, and this is great, from the Hazards of Love album

12. Reflecting Light - Sam Phillips
Indeed the wonderful Sam Phillips from "A Boot and a Shoe"

13. I Ate a Lady's Bun - Ivor Cutler

Glad you found some things to enjoy Paul, it was fun to make.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 22 Apr 2018, 16:04

Mike Boom wrote:Greatly enjoyed this disc of rootsy americana stuff and some great guitar pop too , very anxious to know who several tracks are by in order to investigate further!

Track 1 - Something old timey - sounds like Kate and Anna McGarrigles grandmother, and as I love Kate and Anna this is pretty great too.

THis is from a compilation called In the Year of Jubilo containing 78s from the 20s/30s themed aroumd songs from Civil Wasr era. I've been playing this track obsessively. And a yes from me too for Kate and Anna

Track 2 - Enjoyed this one too - countryish rootsy rock, nice hammond organ and great harmony singing - lovely

Little nown bamd Birds of Chicago

Track 3 - This sounds like the Staple Singers - its great of course, more nice organ.

Just Mavis from recent Jeff Tweedy produced album

Track 4 - Beautiful - EmmyLou Harris, not familiar with this track but I love her voice and the harmony singing is sublime.

From one of the two albums she made with Rodney Crowell. I saw her live woth the Hot Band what seems a lifetime ago and loved everything she's done since

Track 5 - It seems apt to be listening to this disc on a Sunday afternoon, its certainly taking me to church.
Have no idea who this is , a little bit Little Featish - good stuff

Recent discovery Paul THorn

Track 6 - Sounds like a Tom Waits track without Tom Waits singing - sounds like Marc Ribot on guitar

It is Ribot with a group put together to record this Cuban album

Track 7 - This sounds like the Sundays but its not, it is however fantastic - I really love this track and need to know who it is so I can get some more

Husband and wife group The Innocence Mission who do indeed sound uncannily like The Sundays. The good news is they have been a lot more prolific

Track 8 - This is another beautiful track - a little bit Joni but its own thing - wonderful, I need to more of this too

THe Joni comparison has been all over the reviews for her albums. I usually think that is just lazy, but it does kind of hold up here. Courtney Marie ANdrews

Track 9 - Something more modern and more poppish , a bit too polished for me, its not horrible but its just about the only track on the disc I didn't really care for, reminds me somewhat of that Meghan Trainor song “Im going to love you, Like Im going to lose you.”

Another husband and wife team going by the name Johnnyswim. The woman here is I believe Donna Summer's daughter

Track 10 - This has some really nice guitar playing, just electric guitar finger picking and voice.

THis may well ave been my favourite album of last year - Terra Lightfoot

Track 11 - This is a very cool soul number , sounds like sixties or seventies ,have no idea who it is

New Orleans' finest Swamp Dogg

Track 12 - Some seventies Funk which is really nice, nice wah wah guitar Sly territory but its not Sly

This is The Headhunters. Basically the backing band from Herbie Hancock's album of the same name branching out on their own album

Track 13 - Nice Beatly power pop kinda number, nice harmonies, very enjoyable.

CRiminally underrated band The Nines the best McCartneyesque way with a tune this side of Jellyfish

Track 14 - Another power pop song but don’t know the track, seems to be a Christmas song, like it a lot. Its like a Colin Moulding song but its not

Odd yu should mention Moulding as this was recorded in Andy Partridge's shed (the blurb says shed bt I'm sure it's more of a home recording studio. Anyway frined of Partridge Martin Newell

Track 15 - Like this too, kinda low key but very nice swing to it and nice vocals - good stuff

THis mods towards Sarah records and so called "twee" but I'm always a sucker for simple reat pop music. Allo Darlin

Track 16 - Some really nice banjo and guitar picking on this bluegrass track , nice fiddle too.

Once you've got every ALison Krauss record, it's great to discover there's someone else out there smilarly angel voiced and a whole new stack of great new bluegrass to buy - Rhonda Vincent

Track 17 - Don’t know this either, but right up my alley so to speak, great track, very interested in who this is, love the guitar playing.

And we end with something from down under albeit Aus rather than NZ. Only discovered this recently. I had all the albums by The Lucksmiths and found some of them reformed after their demise as this band Last Leaves. Just the one album to date

Thanks very much Mr Fish, greatly enjoyed listening to this disc and looking forward to hearing more by some of these artists.

Your'e welcome
1. The Blue Ridge Mountain Singers - Lorena
2. Birds of Chicago - Dim Star of the Palisades
3. Mavis Staples - Peaceful Dream
4. Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell - Her Hair Was Red
5. Paul Thorn - Mission Temple Fireworks Stand
6. Los Cubanos Postizos - Choserito Plena
7. The Innocence Mission - Speak Our Minds
8. Courtney Marie Andrews - 500 Nights
9. Johhnyswim - First Try
10. Terra Lightfoot - You Get High
11. Swamp Dogg - Dust Yur Head Color Red
12 The Headhunters - If You've Got IT YOu'll Get It
13. The Nines - Virginia
14. Martin Newell - Christmas in Suburbia
15. Allo Darlin - Heartbeat
16. Rhonda Vincent - Kentucy Borderline
17. Last Leaves - The Nights Tou Drove Me Home
We're way past rhubarb

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 22 Apr 2018, 16:14

D'oh you're right Forgt Me Not is on HQ

I'm sure I have that Straitjacket Fits album so I need to dig that out. My buying tends to go in cycles according to current obsessions. Once I buy one thing it leads to another and so on. Ended up getting a fair amount of Flying Nun stuff - Bats, Chills, Verlaines, Sneaky Feelings, ABle Tasmans, Jean Paul Sartre Experience etc
We're way past rhubarb

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 23 Apr 2018, 16:47

The Fish wrote:I'm sure I have that Straitjacket Fits album so I need to dig that out. My buying tends to go in cycles according to current obsessions. Once I buy one thing it leads to another and so on. Ended up getting a fair amount of Flying Nun stuff - Bats, Chills, Verlaines, Sneaky Feelings, ABle Tasmans, Jean Paul Sartre Experience etc

Thats probably the cream of the crop - tho I would add the 3d's, Chris Knox and the Clean of course, also David Kilgour's solo albums are well worth the listen, if you haven't already.

Return to “Mix Club”