Sept 2016 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Sept 2016 Reviews

Postby Moleskin » 25 Sep 2016, 17:00

Well this has been in the house (car, actually) for a while and had three plays as I drive to and from work, so it must be time for a review. There’s much more I like about this than dislike, I’m sure it’ll be played again. There’s a nice Sunday morning/autumnal vibe running through it.

1. Van Morrison as I live and breathe. I’d know his voice anywhere. Don’t know this song though, but it’s a great opener.
2. Steely Dan – Bad Sneakers. Two cracking songs at the top of the CD really gives one hope.
3. Acoustic guitar and I’m sure I recognise this voice. It reminds me of Neal Casal actually, but I don’t think ‘tis he. He’s riding in a box car anyway.
4. Another countryish track – banjo & guitar. It must be called ‘A Hundred Miles’, and if I had to guess I’d say it was Pete Seeger or someone of that vintage, lovely mass vocals on the choruses.
5. Now this has more of a sixties vibe – a ‘Turn Down Day’. Nice harpsichord
6. Rupert’s People – ‘You’ve Got A Habit Of Leaving’.
7. Is this Dillard & Clark? It’s got a sort of 1968 country rock thing going on.
8. Mike Nesmith (another instantly recognisable voice). A lovely ‘after it’s over’ song. I don’t know any more than that. So far this is all winners.
9. Ooh, a change of pace. A very psych-sounding thing. ‘The Shape Of Things To Come’ based on the chorus. Don’t know it.
10. Ah. Now I really don’t dig this one. Sorry but this kind of unadorned blues isn’t for me.
11. A momentary aberration, we’re back into folk/country fields. This song is new to me but as good as tracks 1 through 9 have been.
12. And here’s Ultramarine with ‘Kingdom’. I only know that because John Peel told me so. Wasn’t previously familiar with this and haven’t come across it in digging around in Robert Wyatt’s catalogue over the years. A lovely electronica piece.
13. Now I fancy this is more straight country. Haven’t any clues about who it might be, but he sure was smitten with Maria.
14. David Grisman & Jerry Garcia, ‘Friend of the Devil’. A lovely, laid-back version.
15. Blimey, this woke me up! More of a bar band thing. Nice touches in the backing & harmony vocals.
16. A live version of ‘Victoria’. The Kinks sometime in the late 70s or 80s?

This one really hit the right mood for the last couple of week’s weather. I’m looking forward to the reveal though if you don’t mind I’ll mostly be skipping track 10. I must also thank you kindly for the Beatles Swedish Radio CD. Haven’t heard it in it’s entirety before and it’s well good. :)
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Nick Danger

Re: Sept 2016 Reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 26 Sep 2016, 15:51

Moleskin wrote:Well this has been in the house (car, actually) for a while and had three plays as I drive to and from work, so it must be time for a review. There’s much more I like about this than dislike, I’m sure it’ll be played again. There’s a nice Sunday morning/autumnal vibe running through it.

I had fun mixing for you this month and I'm glad you liked most of it.

1. Van Morrison as I live and breathe. I’d know his voice anywhere. Don’t know this song though, but it’s a great opener.

This is one of my favorite deeper Van cuts. The song is Natalia and it's from his 1978 album Wavelength.

2. Steely Dan – Bad Sneakers. Two cracking songs at the top of the CD really gives one hope.

Yep.

3. Acoustic guitar and I’m sure I recognise this voice. It reminds me of Neal Casal actually, but I don’t think ‘tis he. He’s riding in a box car anyway.

The band is called Hoots and Hellmouth named after the two main guys. This is the only song on the mix from this century, indeed it's one of only three that is post 1980.

4. Another countryish track – banjo & guitar. It must be called ‘A Hundred Miles’, and if I had to guess I’d say it was Pete Seeger or someone of that vintage, lovely mass vocals on the choruses.

This is an American folk standard called 500 Miles. This is the Journeymen who had a moderate hit with it. Two of the members were John Philips later of the Mamas and Papas and Scott MacKenzie - San Francisco (Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair.)

5. Now this has more of a sixties vibe – a ‘Turn Down Day’. Nice harpsichord

This is two hit wonders The Cyrkle. Their other higher charting hit was Red Rubber Ball penned by Paul Simon. They were managed by Brian Epstein and were one of the opening acts for the Beatles on all their 1966 concerts.

6. Rupert’s People – ‘You’ve Got A Habit Of Leaving’.

Not RP but David Jones and the Lower Third. It's David Bowie with one of his last recordings before he changed his name.

7. Is this Dillard & Clark? It’s got a sort of 1968 country rock thing going on.

This is ex-Fairpoint singer Ian Matthews doing Tried So Hard, a Gene Clark song that the Byrds also recorded.

8. Mike Nesmith (another instantly recognisable voice). A lovely ‘after it’s over’ song. I don’t know any more than that. So far this is all winners.

It's Mike from my favorite solo album of his, Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash. The song is about after it's over cleverly entitled Continuing.

9. Ooh, a change of pace. A very psych-sounding thing. ‘The Shape Of Things To Come’ based on the chorus. Don’t know it.

This is Max Frost and the Troopers, a fictitious band put together for the soundtrack of the 1968 move Wild In The Streets. The musicians are all top notch session guys. That's Hal Blaine doing the tasty drums. The song charted in the U.S. as a single (#22).

10. Ah. Now I really don’t dig this one. Sorry but this kind of unadorned blues isn’t for me.

Now I know. It's John Lee Hooker from 1949.

11. A momentary aberration, we’re back into folk/country fields. This song is new to me but as good as tracks 1 through 9 have been.

This is ex-Byrd, ex-Flying Burrito Brother Chris Hillman from one of this late 70's solo albums.

12. And here’s Ultramarine with ‘Kingdom’. I only know that because John Peel told me so. Wasn’t previously familiar with this and haven’t come across it in digging around in Robert Wyatt’s catalogue over the years. A lovely electronica piece.

I loved the Peel intro and outro on this one. I would feel his ire concerning Robert Wyatt. I am not very familiar with him and I don't think many Americans would be. I only recently discovered this song.

13. Now I fancy this is more straight country. Haven’t any clues about who it might be, but he sure was smitten with Maria.

This is singer/songwriter cult favorite Townes Van Zandt from a live bootleg of an appearance at a small coffeehouse near the University of Minnesota in 1973. This was when he was in his prime before the drinking and substance abuse really took its toll.

14. David Grisman & Jerry Garcia, ‘Friend of the Devil’. A lovely, laid-back version.

It's Jerry and Dave on the David Letterman show. I really like this version.

15. Blimey, this woke me up! More of a bar band thing. Nice touches in the backing & harmony vocals.

Montreal based punk band The Nils circa 1980.

16. A live version of ‘Victoria’. The Kinks sometime in the late 70s or 80s?

I like this version better than the studio cut. This selection assuages my love of symmetry with the first and last tracks entitled with women's names.

This one really hit the right mood for the last couple of week’s weather. I’m looking forward to the reveal though if you don’t mind I’ll mostly be skipping track 10. I must also thank you kindly for the Beatles Swedish Radio CD. Haven’t heard it in it’s entirety before and it’s well good. :)

Tracklist-

(1) Natalia - Van Morrison
(2) Bad Sneakers - Steely Dan
(3) Home In A Boxcar - Hoots and Hellmouth
(4) 500 Miles - The Journeymen
(5) Turn Down Day - The Cyrkle
(6) You've Got A Habit - David Jones and the Lower Third
(7) Tried So Hard - Ian Matthews
(8) Continuing - Michael Nesmith
(9) Shape Of Things To Come - Max Frost and the Troopers
(10) Hobo Blues - John Lee Hooker
(11) Forgiveness - Chris Hillman
(12) Kingdom - Ultramarine
(13) Quicksilver Daydreams Of Maria - Townes Van Zandt
(14) Friend Of The Devil - Jerry Garcia and David Grisman
(15) Daylight - The Nils
(16) Victoria - The Kinks

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 26 Sep 2016, 16:12

Damn! I should have known that was Bowie, but for some reason Rupert stuck in my head!

Thanks again for an entertaining mix.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 14 Oct 2016, 15:31

Thanks go to my mixer this month for an entertaining and enlightening experience. I did have a problem playing it as my various players apparently aren't capable of dealing with mp4 music. I was finally able to play it on my computer by looking at each file individually. This did cause the labeling of artist and song to appear but I had never heard of most of the artists and all but one song were totally new to me so it didn't really matter that much.

1. A studio chatter kind of outtake about a clumsy guy named Brian's encounter with a piano. It's short and lightens the mood.
2. This is one where I enjoyed the instrumentation much more than the singing. It's a little weak and offputting.
3. Sorry, this one did not play at all on anything.
4. This a name I know but I had never heard his music. I like this. It's an expressive voice, a little reminiscent of Randy Newman. The song has an appealing retro feel to it.
5. Another good one. This is spare, slightly theatrical, sounds English and a little prog. I like the time signature change and the excellent playing.
6. This one also sounds English. I love the music but the vocals are a little buried and atmospheric for my taste. There is a fuzzy electronica, shoegazy feel to it. I liked this more with each playing.
7. This reminds me of the Zombies. I like this a lot. The strings, unsusal time change, the big finish. I love a baroque tune. There's a lot happening here, has a indie psychorock flavor also.
8. Also English? As an American southern boy my experience with a lot of Brit stuff is mostly limited to the British Invasion bands so it's fun to explore this area. Nice band, nice song, sounds 70's.
9. This was also a grower. I'm not sure about the set back echoy vocals. I like the driving guitar.
10. Another name I knew but I'm not familiar with his music. Well played and sung. Interesting lyrics. Good one.
11. A legendary band, Be Bop Deluxe. I've liked everything I've ever heard by them but haven't really sought them out. Very English folk proggy flavor to this one. Really good.
12. I, of course, know this guy. I've haven't heard this song before. It's ok and interesting.
13. This is a highlight, English folk, good energy, expressive lyrics. I will probably buy some more by this artist. I like this a lot.
14. This is good. Nice voice. I love a fuzzy guitar. Also English?
15. This is the one song on the mix I was familiar with - Sorry by The Easybeats. I need to listen to some of their deeper cuts.
16. ISB, another band I've neglected but I need to investigate. This particular cut doesn't really do much for me.
17. This sounds like it's from the soundtrack of Game of Thrones. It has a certain epic presence and is interesting but goes on too long.

Thanks mixer. I'm going to be further investigating some of these artists.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Oct 2016, 19:14

Psycodelic Sounds: Brian Falls Into A Piano The Beach Boys Smile Sessions
Stumble J Mascis Tied to a Star
Hand Me Down World The Guess Who Share The Land
Women's Studies Lloyd Cole Standards
Scene Through the Eye of a Lens Family Music in a Doll's House / Family Entertainment
Breather Chapterhouse
Shuggie Foxygen We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic
Poor Street Alun Davies Daydo
Ejection Robert Calvert Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters
Don't You Grieve Roy Harper Flashes From The Archives Of Oblivion
Jet Silver and the Dolls of Venus Be Bop Deluxe Axe Victim
Cosmic Wheels Donovan Donovan: Best of Live
Pinball Brian Protheroe Pinball
Uplift David Kilgour Here Come The Cars
Sorry The Easybeats The Easybeats: The Definitive Anthology
The Half-Remarkable Question The Incredible String Band Wee Tam
Bleeding Star Jps Experience Bleeding Star

Hey Nick
Sorry about the CD not playing, my CD burner has been playing up for a while now on my old fast ailing iMAC.

Alun Davies was/is Cat Stevens side man, Poor Street is from his own album Daydo from the 70s
Glad you enjoyed the Roy Harper, one of Britains greatest songwriters without doubt
Brian Protheroe was somewhat of a one hit wonder, but its a great hit.
David Kilgour is the front man from Flying Nun band The Clean, Here Come The Cars was his first solo album from 91
Bleeding Star is from another legendary Nun band the JPS Experience
Apologies again for the technical difficulties, glad you enjoyed hearing a some new stuff

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 17 Oct 2016, 13:54

Nick Danger wrote:a clumsy guy named Brian

:lol:

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Oct 2016, 21:47

Track 1 - Sounds like Hendrix remixed and sampled as a dance track, kinda cool, but not really familiar with the original Hendrix number so can’t really comment - funky guitar of course.
Track 2 - A kind of 60’s psych vibe, but with a newer mTrack 1 - Sounds like Hendrix remixed and sampled as a dance track, kinda cool, but not really familiar with the original Hendrix number so can’t really comment - funky guitar of course.
Track 2 - A kind of 60’s psych vibe, but with a new sound, nice guitar solo
Track 3 - Sounds like a dance remix of JJ Cale, don’t like this Im afraid
Track 4 - Byrdsian/ Mamas and the Papas sounding pop, right up my alley so to speak and very nice
Track 5 - The Big O - Communication Breakdown. What a voice, beautiful.
Track 6 - Guided by Voices ? nice slice of acoustic pop.
Track 7 - Nice piano and upright bass, lovely playing , no idea who it is.
Track 8 - Lovely electric piano, sounds very Prefab Sprout and really quite wonderful, haunting, very interested to know who this is
Track 9 - A very chamber pop take on the Stones Backstreet Girl - wonderful
Track 10 - Jaunty acoustic based track - no idea who this is, but love it, very much my kind of thing with added points for Harpsichord!
Track 11 - Scott Walker with a very jazzy number that I am unfamiliar with, very nice.
Track 12 - Love this track, reminds me of a sort of a rawer Steely Dan, jazzy, groovy , great. Again no idea who it is.
Track 13 - MoonRiser from Roy Wood - fantastic
Track 14 - More of track 1, the original version ?

Was only familiar with a couple of these tracks so many thanks to the mixer, 99% of it was very much the kind of thing I love and new to me, and am very interested in knowing who each track is, very much enjoyed listening to this and will be investigating a lot of things further.
Thanks again, great stuff

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 02 Nov 2016, 09:38

So I've basically been ill with one thing or another for about a month, so my apologies for taking so long with this. Good intentions, etc...

1. Old country song. Fabulous banjo picking on here!
2. Archie Bronson Outfit? They were an incredible live band with the original line-up. Sounds a lot like them anyway. Very heavy and intense. Kind of like early Adam & the Ants but a lot heavier. No bad thing.
3. This is one of those 80s jangly pop groups that always pass me by, like Lloyd Cole & the Commotions. It’s a nice enough sound, but there’s little about the song that grabs me. It’s like wallpaper, really. Nice wallpaper, but still just wallpaper.
4. Southern soul. I don’t recognise the voice, and it’s not one of the best I’ve heard. It’s a bit more throaty than I tend to like. The song doesn’t grab me much either, but the horns are certainly great. This is what Alabama Shakes think they sound like.
5. The Four Seasons? Not one I know, but that has to be Frankie Vali. Again, the song doesn’t grab me, and the arrangement is a bit over-lush for me. I watched that movie about him recently. Weird film. Weird guy.
6. Piece of funk. That bass is pretty neat, isn’t it? Very Sly. The recording’s a bit sloppy, as though they’re still working the song out, but I love the breaks. Is this Texan? I don’t know why I think that, mind. It just reminds me a bit of some stuff on a Texan Funk comp I had years ago. Weird ending.
7. Fairly innocuous latin piece that owes a lot to hey jude (shamelessly in parts. Unless it’s deliberate). Again, it doesn’t sound finished to me. There’s some nice elements in there, but it doesn’t gel, and it just kind of plods along without really distracting me much, before fading out, as thug they just became bored of it and didn’t know how to end it.
8. Not for me, this. It’s pretty formulaic 90s US pop/rock stuff. It baffles me, frankly.
9. Nice surf guitar on this, which is otherwise a Johnny Cash pastiche almost. Not a bad thing, mind. Great rhythm, great guitar (apart from the wah-wah one, which annoys me), decent-enough vocal. Comes and goes without really doing much.
10. Rhythm and blues. I like everything about this more than I like the lead vocal. It’s not that it’s a bad vocal, I just don’t think it suits the song, and I keep wishing it was Solomon Burke singing instead. Great backgrounds on here though, kind of Coasters-like, with that gospel influence that brings to mind the Fairfield Four. But it’s undeniably a class track, without being solid gold.
11. Another one like number 8. If Top Gun had been made in the 90s, this would have been on the soundtrack. Which is a shame, as the guy’s got a good voice, and uses it well. He reminds me of the singer form the Shivers.
12. Great guitar, great horns, great voice, great rhythm section, sweet organ, good song, fine production – this is a cracking record, and one I don’t know, although the voice rings a bell. Clarence Carter, isn’t it? Lovely stuff.
13. This is a sort of Brian Setzer type of thing. Caribbean rockabilly. All very accomplished and neat, and in the right setting, I’d probably really dig it, but it sounds just a bit deliberate to me, a bit designed rather than natural.
14. I hate half of this record and love the other half. Basically, the bits that aren’t singing are horrible. I hate that guitar sounds, I hate those beats and the synths. It’s Curtis, though, so the vocal sounds fabulous. And that’s Mavis Staples on backing isn’t it? I never heard any of his later records and I this isn’t making want to investigate further, sorry.
15. More 90s American Byrds-influenced, sub-REM pop that sounds like background music from an episode of Friends. Not for me, thanks.
16. Love this. Is it Carl Perkins? Sounds like him but I don’t know the song. Everything about this is pretty much great.
17. This sounds all a bit worthy for me. Nice enough, I guess, if you like that sort of thing, but I don’t. It feels tired and dated, like it would have been fine in the 60s but it’s been done to death and this brings nothing new to it.

A good mix, plenty of variety. Nothing I really hated, but sadly very little that I really loved. And enjoyable listen, mind, and it’s had a few spins, with some songs growing each time.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 06 Nov 2016, 09:53

bhoywonder wrote:So I've basically been ill with one thing or another for about a month, so my apologies for taking so long with this. Good intentions, etc...

So here we go then for Does Bhoy actually like anything Vol 97

1. Old country song. Fabulous banjo picking on here!

I do have a habit of pairing up somehow the opener and closer of a mix. The singer of the last song happens to be blind, so avoiding Ray, Stevie and anyone with Blind in their name, this is Doc Watson

2. Archie Bronson Outfit? They were an incredible live band with the original line-up. Sounds a lot like them anyway. Very heavy and intense. Kind of like early Adam & the Ants but a lot heavier. No bad thing.

The Dirtbombs from their great duble CD of ottakes and cover versions

3. This is one of those 80s jangly pop groups that always pass me by, like Lloyd Cole & the Commotions. It’s a nice enough sound, but there’s little about the song that grabs me. It’s like wallpaper, really. Nice wallpaper, but still just wallpaper.

The Tyde, which is basically the same line up as Beachwood Sparks ( I think there are two brothers wh head up each band with the same pool of players)

4. Southern soul. I don’t recognise the voice, and it’s not one of the best I’ve heard. It’s a bit more throaty than I tend to like. The song doesn’t grab me much either, but the horns are certainly great. This is what Alabama Shakes think they sound like.

I'll conced the voice may be a sticking point for some - more than a hint of General Johnson - Latterday New Orleans soul from Swamp Dogg

5. The Four Seasons? Not one I know, but that has to be Frankie Vali. Again, the song doesn’t grab me, and the arrangement is a bit over-lush for me. I watched that movie about him recently. Weird film. Weird guy.

Yep

6. Piece of funk. That bass is pretty neat, isn’t it? Very Sly. The recording’s a bit sloppy, as though they’re still working the song out, but I love the breaks. Is this Texan? I don’t know why I think that, mind. It just reminds me a bit of some stuff on a Texan Funk comp I had years ago. Weird ending.

One of the lesser known Stax artsts - only cut one album for them - Joe Hicks

7. Fairly innocuous latin piece that owes a lot to hey jude (shamelessly in parts. Unless it’s deliberate). Again, it doesn’t sound finished to me. There’s some nice elements in there, but it doesn’t gel, and it just kind of plods along without really distracting me much, before fading out, as thug they just became bored of it and didn’t know how to end it.

Portugese but not Brazilian. Mayra Andrade from the Cape Verde Islands

8. Not for me, this. It’s pretty formulaic 90s US pop/rock stuff. It baffles me, frankly.

It's POP music. Get up and dance yer miserable git. The Shazam

9. Nice surf guitar on this, which is otherwise a Johnny Cash pastiche almost. Not a bad thing, mind. Great rhythm, great guitar (apart from the wah-wah one, which annoys me), decent-enough vocal. Comes and goes without really doing much.

Well it wouldn't be a Bhoy review if you were't annoyed at least once - Back to New Orleans - Andre Williams

10. Rhythm and blues. I like everything about this more than I like the lead vocal. It’s not that it’s a bad vocal, I just don’t think it suits the song, and I keep wishing it was Solomon Burke singing instead. Great backgrounds on here though, kind of Coasters-like, with that gospel influence that brings to mind the Fairfield Four. But it’s undeniably a class track, without being solid gold.

The 5 Royales. The OOP Red Beans And Rice has for years been the standard recommendation, but there's now a complete 6 CD set available at a reasonable price.

11. Another one like number 8. If Top Gun had been made in the 90s, this would have been on the soundtrack. Which is a shame, as the guy’s got a good voice, and uses it well. He reminds me of the singer form the Shivers.

Calexico

12. Great guitar, great horns, great voice, great rhythm section, sweet organ, good song, fine production – this is a cracking record, and one I don’t know, although the voice rings a bell. Clarence Carter, isn’t it? Lovely stuff.

This one may surprise you as it isn't Clarence and not even black. From the solo album Messin' In Muscle Shoals by Righteous Brother Bobby Hatfield

13. This is a sort of Brian Setzer type of thing. Caribbean rockabilly. All very accomplished and neat, and in the right setting, I’d probably really dig it, but it sounds just a bit deliberate to me, a bit designed rather than natural.

He's added this mad acid Cuban jive to a number of artists albums, Costello and Waits to name but two - Marc Ribot

14. I hate half of this record and love the other half. Basically, the bits that aren’t singing are horrible. I hate that guitar sounds, I hate those beats and the synths. It’s Curtis, though, so the vocal sounds fabulous. And that’s Mavis Staples on backing isn’t it? I never heard any of his later records and I this isn’t making want to investigate further, sorry.

This is fucking monumental - You really have lost the plot.

15. More 90s American Byrds-influenced, sub-REM pop that sounds like background music from an episode of Friends. Not for me, thanks.

Jeffrey Foskett who made albums so obviously in debt to Briam WIlson, he got the gig as his musical director. This is just pure pop joy. Again your loss.

16. Love this. Is it Carl Perkins? Sounds like him but I don’t know the song. Everything about this is pretty much great.

Nt Carl, Charlie Feathers

17. This sounds all a bit worthy for me. Nice enough, I guess, if you like that sort of thing, but I don’t. It feels tired and dated, like it would have been fine in the 60s but it’s been done to death and this brings nothing new to it.

Blind singer Bob Desper form his only album form the early 70s

A good mix, plenty of variety. Nothing I really hated, but sadly very little that I really loved. And enjoyable listen, mind, and it’s had a few spins, with some songs growing each time.

You're welcome. I actually came out of that relatively unscathed given some of your past performances :D

1. Doc Watson - Georgie Buck
2. The Drtbombs - I'm Not Your Scratching Post
3. The Tyde - Go Ask Yer Dad
4. Swamp Dogg - Dust YOur Head Color Red
5. The Four Seasons - One Clown Cried
6. Joe Hicks - Train of Thought[
7. Mayra Andrade - Ilha de Santiago
8.The Shazam - Some Other Time
9. Andre Williams - The Only Black Man in South Dakota
10. The 5 Royales - Wonder Where Your LOve Has Gone
11. Calexico - Splitter
12. Bobby Hatfield - The Feeling Is Right
13. Marc Ribot - Choserito PLena
14 Curtis Mayfield - Ms Martha
15. Jeffrey Foskett - Woro Go
16 Charlie Feathers - Tear It Up
17. Bob Desper - Time Is ALmost Over

We're way past rhubarb

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Nov 2016, 20:55

Ok, here we go!
1. A little Yo La Tengo to get us started, I believe! I will fess up to no being a big YLT fan, though I do like the vague Eno like intro
2. Promising synthy funk intro, sounds like this might be Hot Chip or similar? But with different vocals. I do like this kind of genre usually, though this track in particular is a little rudderless.
3. Some hip hoppy lyrics over a tromboney background with a New Orleans beat - not bad, not bad
4. Emotionally charged lady and a guitar. It's a bit ploddy. She sings grand enough but it's like watching water endlessly going down a plughhole.
5. I cant think of a way of explaining this but I love the staccato vocals and it blossoms into something quite magical. Yeah I love this
6. This is a cracking tune that I've heard before - is it old or just pretend old? Wonderful
7. This is definitely an old song, but I don't think the lyrics are the ones I am hearing, which is 'I've got a bucket of tea.' What a joyous thought! A bucket of tea! Anyway, this is a cracking old bit of rock and roll, tea or not.
8. Some gorgeous old rhythm and blues - smashing
9. Fabulous rock and roll instrumental with glorious guitar pickin'
10. Lovely bluesy stirring stuff
11. Nice strummy guitar and whatnot. This sounds like it could be Wilco?
12. 'The NIght We Called it a Day' - I got one right! Not sure who is singing this version though?
13. An Etta James -ish number - can't work out if it's an oldie or a newie? Didn't care for it all that much though.
14. Jah Wobble! I Love Everybody! Another song I know, hurray!
15. A sweet Spanish guitar and some interesting sounds on this one - I like it a lot
16. Sounds like a slightly sad Badly Drawn Boy. I'm not keen. A little of this song goes a long way.
17. The Chantels - Maybe (Another one I knew!!!)
18. A sweet guitar instrumental (is that a Bontempi organ keeping time?)
19. A song about peaches and cherries with a lovely crackly old sound. Sweet.
20. A song about drinking, the sentiments of which I heartily approve. Love it!

Thank you so much, sender! I do appreciate your disc. I am looking forward to the reveals on a few of these - notably 5 and from 7 through to 10.

Thank you!

Something I have noticed (about myself) is that my ability to talk about a mix disc lessens the more songs there are on it. This is entirely my problem, I have a short concentration span but after about 10 songs I start to switch off.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 08 Nov 2016, 09:48

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Ok, here we go!
1. A little Yo La Tengo to get us started, I believe! I will fess up to no being a big YLT fan, though I do like the vague Eno like intro

It is them. Ohm, the opener from their 2013 album Fade. Over the years, they’ve gradually seeped under my radar and I really like them now.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:2. Promising synthy funk intro, sounds like this might be Hot Chip or similar? But with different vocals. I do like this kind of genre usually, though this track in particular is a little rudderless.

Hot Chip is right. How Do You Do, from 2012’s In Our Heads. Great lyrics on here.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:3. Some hip hoppy lyrics over a tromboney background with a New Orleans beat - not bad, not bad

This is from the Dirty Dozen Brass Band’s response to Katrina, in which they recorded a cover of the whole of What’s Going On – this is the title track. Chuck D adds the hip hoppiness. What was most moving, I thought, with this project, and this track, is how clearly it shows that all the things Marvin Gaye was singing about 40-odd years ago are still happening today. Nothing has changed, and it doesn’t seem like things are likely to change in any kind of hurry.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:4. Emotionally charged lady and a guitar. It's a bit ploddy. She sings grand enough but it's like watching water endlessly going down a plughhole.

Really? Wow. This is the legendary Bettye LaVette, now in her 60s, with Just Say So. I find it hard to hear his and not break down, stopped dead in my tracks by the sheer force of her soul, the almost violent aching she infuses into the song, but each to their own, like.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:5. I cant think of a way of explaining this but I love the staccato vocals and it blossoms into something quite magical. Yeah I love this

This is a NYC band called the Shivers, fronted by Keith Zarriello, a great songwriter, performer and, as you note, singer. This is called Irrational Love, and comes from their 2011 album More, which was on fence records over here. Proper New York pop, and I’m really glad you love it too.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:6. This is a cracking tune that I've heard before - is it old or just pretend old? Wonderful

Proper old ☺Not For Me by Bobby Darin, in fact. It’s from a stonking collection of Jack Nitzsche productions called Hearing Is Believing. If you like this, etc… to me, the Shivers are following the same line as this.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:7. This is definitely an old song, but I don't think the lyrics are the ones I am hearing, which is 'I've got a bucket of tea.' What a joyous thought! A bucket of tea! Anyway, this is a cracking old bit of rock and roll, tea or not.

Ha! Again with the tea! It’s actually Bucket T, which is a hot rod version of the Model T Ford. You’ll have seen them in films like American Graffiti, I imagine. It’s by Ronny & the Daytonas, and I have it on a great collection of rock’n’roll songs about car from Ace Records. I first encountered it covered by the Who.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:8. Some gorgeous old rhythm and blues - smashing

I had to include this for you if only for the simple fact of him having the most Yorkshire-sounding name of any Texan r’n’b singer: Amos Milburn, with Good Good Whiskey. He was always singing about booze. He had a hit with Bad, Bad Whiskey, and another with One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:9. Fabulous rock and roll instrumental with glorious guitar pickin'

From Toledo, this is Johnny & the Hurricanes with Sandstorm, from 1960, taken from Riding The Curl, a surf music collection I pinched off Frank. Everythign about this record is perfect, to me.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:10. Lovely bluesy stirring stuff

The Dixie Hummingbirds, one of the great gospel quartet singing groups with Move On Up A Little Higher. I can’t believe something this divine musters just four words. Doesn’t it get right down to your toes? Doesn’t it make you wanna holler? It does me, but then I’ve just had a sausage butty and a coffee, so I’m ripe for it.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:11. Nice strummy guitar and whatnot. This sounds like it could be Wilco?

Bon Iver, with Flume, from his (I think) classic debut, For Emma, Forever Ago. Glad you liked the whatnot, that was the bit that hooked me initially too.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:12. 'The NIght We Called it a Day' - I got one right! Not sure who is singing this version though?

It’s Bob Dylan, from the first of his Sinatra albums, Shadows in the Night. But do you like it? Give me a clue…

Minnie Cheddars wrote:13. An Etta James -ish number - can't work out if it's an oldie or a newie? Didn't care for it all that much though.

Howard Tate with a version of the classic How Come My Bulldog Don’t Bark. Brilliant horns on this.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:14. Jah Wobble! I Love Everybody! Another song I know, hurray!

Indeed.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:15. A sweet Spanish guitar and some interesting sounds on this one - I like it a lot

I thought you might enjoy this, what with your own journeys in guitar. It’s called Forra Brasil, by a Brazilian guy named Fabiano Do Nascimento, from his debut album Danca do Tempo, which was out last year. Good, isn’t he?

Minnie Cheddars wrote:16. Sounds like a slightly sad Badly Drawn Boy. I'm not keen. A little of this song goes a long way.

Bill Ryder-Jones, formerly of the Coral, with Wild Roses. I thought this might be a bit hit or miss for you, but I’ve grown to really love his music, as I find it refreshing to hear someone sing so openly about mental illness, which he does most of the time.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:17. The Chantels - Maybe (Another one I knew!!!)

I’m just to presume you love this, because anybody who didn’t would be absurd.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:18. A sweet guitar instrumental (is that a Bontempi organ keeping time?)

This guy is called Kama Aina, with Theme From Raft, taken from his Domino album Music Activist. And yes, I think it might be a bontempi. The album is all this kind of thing, really infectious, but so simple. I recommend it.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:19. A song about peaches and cherries with a lovely crackly old sound. Sweet.

Josh White was a great singer of songs as well as being a big civil rights activist. Apples Peaches and Cherries is one of my favourites of his, but I could listen to him singing the telephone book with that voice.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:20. A song about drinking, the sentiments of which I heartily approve. Love it!

Bo Carter – Let’s Get Drunk Again. Bo was born around the time Blackburn Rovers first played at Ewood. He was one of the Mississippi Sheiks. The sentiment is all here!

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Thank you so much, sender! I do appreciate your disc. I am looking forward to the reveals on a few of these - notably 5 and from 7 through to 10.

Thank you!

You’re welcome, I’m glad you enjoyed some of it! And sorry it was a bit late – I sent it ages before you got it – but at least it got there in the end.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Something I have noticed (about myself) is that my ability to talk about a mix disc lessens the more songs there are on it. This is entirely my problem, I have a short concentration span but after about 10 songs I start to switch off.

You could always write your review in more than one sitting ;)

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 10 Nov 2016, 15:29

Okay so I've had this one for ages and have to apologise for the wait. In fairness I have given it a right ear-bashing although that was more in desperation than enjoyment.

1. A promising start. What sounds like a glass harmonica and spooky children's voices followed by some wheezy accordion. Thought I was in for some gloomy goth-folk ballad but it just stopped there.
2. Gentle country-lite ballad - broken hearts and dreams, etc. Big cumbersome drums in the backgound attempt to destroy the mood but it's nicely done on the whole.
3. Same sort of feel. That wobble in her voice is a bit annoying but the strings are nice. Sure I've heard the song before,
4. Dead-wife country song. Good vocal and some nice picking. But the song is just so banal. "I got a brother up Chicago way. He wants me to visit him someday". Jeez this guy's life is even more boring than mine.
5. Moody rockier number with lots of crashing chords and dramatic pauses. Came and went. Not unpleasant.
6. Back to the country ballads and quite a nice one. She's probably called Patti or Shelby, does a thoroughly professional job and could probably crank these out by the dozen.
7. This one's not bad at all, Very familiar voice (Annie Lennox?) . Some lovely little touches with a gorgeous bit of clarinet snaking its way around the tune.
8. This one has all the right ingredients too. Nice folky ballad with a Home Counties white soul-boy voice that I'm a sucker for. But then there's that opening couplet:
"Diaphanous friendships in transparent splendour..............
Empire wavelenghths, vituperative memories
and some such.
Give me strength :o .
9. One of those miserablist Tindersticks-type outfits doing their thing quite tastefully. I didn't mind it.
10. I'll stick my neck out and go for Jackie Leven here. Whoever, the mix certainly starts to pick up around this point.
11. Driving countryish rocker with suggestive lyrics and a nice rough under-produced feel.
12. Best thing on here. British folky couple with light electronica and some always welcome auto-harp. Nice song with some fascinating stuff going on behind it. Need some more of this.
13. Dead-dad country song. Better than 4 but not much. The harmonica playing moves me more than the lyrics.

I've half an idea of the supplier of this mix which makes it all the more regrettable that I've been so snotty about it. It strikes me more and more nowadays that my jaded old palate is at odds with mix club. But then considering the damage all the other old white men are currently inflicting on the world, I'm not gonna get too worked up about it,

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 11 Nov 2016, 13:05

whodathunkit wrote:Okay so I've had this one for ages and have to apologise for the wait. In fairness I have given it a right ear-bashing although that was more in desperation than enjoyment.

1. A promising start. What sounds like a glass harmonica and spooky children's voices followed by some wheezy accordion. Thought I was in for some gloomy goth-folk ballad but it just stopped there.
2. Gentle country-lite ballad - broken hearts and dreams, etc. Big cumbersome drums in the backgound attempt to destroy the mood but it's nicely done on the whole.
3. Same sort of feel. That wobble in her voice is a bit annoying but the strings are nice. Sure I've heard the song before,
4. Dead-wife country song. Good vocal and some nice picking. But the song is just so banal. "I got a brother up Chicago way. He wants me to visit him someday". Jeez this guy's life is even more boring than mine.
5. Moody rockier number with lots of crashing chords and dramatic pauses. Came and went. Not unpleasant.
6. Back to the country ballads and quite a nice one. She's probably called Patti or Shelby, does a thoroughly professional job and could probably crank these out by the dozen.
7. This one's not bad at all, Very familiar voice (Annie Lennox?) . Some lovely little touches with a gorgeous bit of clarinet snaking its way around the tune.
8. This one has all the right ingredients too. Nice folky ballad with a Home Counties white soul-boy voice that I'm a sucker for. But then there's that opening couplet:
and some such.
9. One of those miserablist Tindersticks-type outfits doing their thing quite tastefully. I didn't mind it.
10. I'll stick my neck out and go for Jackie Leven here. Whoever, the mix certainly starts to pick up around this point.
11. Driving countryish rocker with suggestive lyrics and a nice rough under-produced feel.
12. Best thing on here. British folky couple with light electronica and some always welcome auto-harp. Nice song with some fascinating stuff going on behind it. Need some more of this.
13. Dead-dad country song. Better than 4 but not much. The harmonica playing moves me more than the lyrics.

I've half an idea of the supplier of this mix which makes it all the more regrettable that I've been so snotty about it. It strikes me more and more nowadays that my jaded old palate is at odds with mix club. But then considering the damage all the other old white men are currently inflicting on the world, I'm not gonna get too worked up about it,

This was me. I'll reveal tonight as my notes are on the home PC.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 11 Nov 2016, 17:58

Okay so I've had this one for ages and have to apologise for the wait. In fairness I have given it a right ear-bashing although that was more in desperation than enjoyment.

From the first volume of his Thankful Villages project, this is Darren Hayman (once of Hefner, but now of more folky leanings). The track is 'Langton Herring' (which is local to us here). He visited each of England's Thankful Villages (from which no one died in WW1) and wrote something inspired by what he found.

Cowboy Junkies - 'Damaged From The Start'. This comes from their multi-disc Nomad series - Vol 4 - The Wilderness, from the last few years.

Margo Price - 'How The Mighty Have Fallen'. From the best album Jack White has ever been involved with (it's on his label, he had no other involvement). Midwest Farmer's Daughter is one of this year's best-regarded new country records.

'Melva's Wine' by Jim Casey & Vince Matthews. Comes from a 'great lost album', the Kingston Springs Suite that finally got a release this year, 40 years down the line. It's a concept album of sorts about the town of Kingston Springs.

Gavin Clark - 'Never Feel This Young' from his posthumous record Evangelist. He was in Sunhouse and Clayhill and has sung lots with UNKLE, and on Shaun Meadows films.

Brandy Clark - 'You Can Come Over'. From her wonderful second album. Sold squat, which is a shame.

Tanita Tikaram - 'Gris Gris Tails'. From her latest record, Closer to the People. Some real stand-outs on the album. See also 'Glass Love Train'.

and some such.

The Lilac Time - 'Prussian Blue'. From No More Sad Songs, their latest. That singer is of course Stephen Duffy.

Bang on! It is Tindersticks. 'Were We Once Lovers'. From - you've guessed it - their latest record, The Waiting Room

In stark contrast, you probably couldn't be more wrong. Eighties troupe Love & Money from their 2012 reunion album, The Devil's Debt. This is 'I Never Touched Her'.

And in a similar vein, this is Black - 'Don't Call Me Honey' from Blind Faith, his last album.

Marry Waterson of the folk family with David A Jaycock. The song is 'Woolgathering Girl' from Two Wolves, which follows her two albums with her brother Oliver Knight.

Another of this year's country newcomers, this is Chris Stapleton. 'Daddy Doesn't Pray Anymore' from his feted debut Traveller.

I've half an idea of the supplier of this mix which makes it all the more regrettable that I've been so snotty about it. It strikes me more and more nowadays that my jaded old palate is at odds with mix club. But then considering the damage all the other old white men are currently inflicting on the world, I'm not gonna get too worked up about it.

Sorry more of this didn't hit the spot. It features a number of 80s or 90s acts who are still going, mixed in with some recent releases that have sparked my interest. I can only wish you better luck next time!
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 12 Nov 2016, 10:22

Er.. I own Two Wolves :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks Simon, both for your patience in waiting for the review and your forlorn attempts to get me to listen to some people who are still alive :cry: .

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 20 Nov 2016, 23:54

Yet more apologies. I'm sitting here wondering when I'm gonna get my disc reviewed only to scroll back and find it was done weeks ago!!

Will reveal tomorrow :oops: .

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 21 Nov 2016, 15:17

Mike Boom wrote:Track 1 - Sounds like Hendrix remixed and sampled as a dance track, kinda cool, but not really familiar with the original Hendrix number so can’t really comment - funky guitar of course.

90s British techno outfit Beautiful People and "Rilly Groovy" from their 1992 Hendrix mash-up album If 60s Were 90s. Little bits of Wild Thing, Bleeding Heart and some other stuff. I've come to naturally accept this as an extra Jimi album.

Track 2 - A kind of 60’s psych vibe, but with a new sound, nice guitar solo

I'm a sucker for psych collections even though the rewards seem to be getting thinner. These are Mother Tuckers Yellow Duck ( :roll: ) and "One Ring Jane" from the an EMI anthology Ah Feel Like Acid. Reminds me of Spirit - which is of course a good thing.

Track 3 - Sounds like a dance remix of JJ Cale, don’t like this Im afraid

Straight Cale. "Lonesome Train" from Number 10 (1992). One of my fave Cale tracks - that nagging little guitar hook like an itch in a place you can't reach.

Track 4 - Byrdsian/ Mamas and the Papas sounding pop, right up my alley so to speak and very nice

Sounding more like the Byrds than the Byrds, the Loved Ones and "Being Here With You". I know no more.

Track 5 - The Big O - Communication Breakdown. What a voice, beautiful.

Yep, yep and yep.

Track 6 - Guided by Voices ? nice slice of acoustic pop.

Pretty damn close. GOV's Tobin Sprout and "Small Parade" from an old Matador label sampler.

Track 7 - Nice piano and upright bass, lovely playing , no idea who it is.

Thought you might catch the tune - Nick Drake's "One Of These Things First", This Is Danny Thompson and pianist Zoe Rahman from the Joe Boyd Drake tribute Way To Blue. I've said it before but there is no such thing as a bad album on which Danny Thompson plays.

Track 8 - Lovely electric piano, sounds very Prefab Sprout and really quite wonderful, haunting, very interested to know who this is

Scottish band The Pearlfishers and "Gone Is The Winter" from their last album Open Up Your Colouring Book. All very Sproutian and well worth exploring.

Track 9 - A very chamber pop take on the Stones Backstreet Girl - wonderful

One of my favorite Stones ballads and a song I always thought was uncoverable. Turns out I was wrong. Bobby Darin from the Moods Swings anthology.

Track 10 - Jaunty acoustic based track - no idea who this is, but love it, very much my kind of thing with added points for Harpsichord!

Still going strong 40 years on and still untainted by success, NRBQ and "It'll Be Alrigh"t from their last one, Brass Tacks.

Track 11 - Scott Walker with a very jazzy number that I am unfamiliar with, very nice.

"Time Operator" from the album he disowned, 1970s Til The Band Comes In. Sounds fine to me.

Track 12 - Love this track, reminds me of a sort of a rawer Steely Dan, jazzy, groovy , great. Again no idea who it is.

An album that BCB led me to - Outlaw by Eugene McDaniels. Opens with this one "Cherrystones".

Track 13 - MoonRiser from Roy Wood - fantastic

Knew you were a fan of his Royness, as am I.

Track 14 - More of track 1, the original version ?

No, just the rest of the track.

[quote="Mike Boom"Was only familiar with a couple of these tracks so many thanks to the mixer, 99% of it was very much the kind of thing I love and new to me, and am very interested in knowing who each track is, very much enjoyed listening to this and will be investigating a lot of things further.
Thanks again, great stuff[/quote]

Cheers Mike and again sorry about the delay. I genuinely missed your review.

1. "Rilly Groovy" - Beautiful People
2. "One Ring Jane" - Mother Tuckers Yellow Duck
3. "Lonesome Train" - JJ Cale
4. "Being Here With You" - The Loved Ones
5. "Communication Breakdown" - Roy Orbison
6. "Small Parade" - Tobin Sprout
7. "One Of These Things first" - Zoe Rahman/Danny Thompson
8. "Gone Is The Winter" - The Pearlfishers
9. "Backstreet Girl" - Bobby Darin
10. "It'll Be Alright" - NRBQ
11. "Time Operator" - Scott Walker
12. "Cherrystone" - Eugene McDaniels