The Black Hole

..and why not?
Brickyard Jack

The Black Hole

Postby Brickyard Jack » 24 May 2020, 21:11

I just watched this old film on Disney plus. It has to be one of the strangest films ever - the last ten minutes are more or less completely incomprehensible. Unfortunately it also has pretty poor production values, though it does have a brilliant main theme by John Barry. Anyone else seen it? If you haven't, don't bother.

Charlie O.

Re: The Black Hole

Postby Charlie O. » 24 May 2020, 21:59

If it's the original one (I think they remade it decades later), I saw it in the cinema. Very disappointing. The computer animation was the big hype point in the ads - it was apparently really groundbreaking stuff at the time, though it probably looks like an old video arcade game now and was less than mind-blowing to me even then - and in any event, you only really got to experience it in all its glory in the last few minutes of the movie which, as you say, didn't make a lick of sense.

pcqgod

Re: The Black Hole

Postby pcqgod » 25 May 2020, 03:55

I saw it in a theater when it was released. Even as a thirteen year old sci-fi fanatic I was disappointed with the cutesy robots. Watching it as an adult, I did find some redeemable things, such as the spaceship designs and some of the effects, though seeing the wires suspending the robots was embarrassing. Mostly, I just got a sense of what a blown opportunity it was for Disney to boldly follow the lead of Star Wars. Instead of finding a dynamic "Luke Skywalker" kind of character, they cast a bunch of older, declining actors. Instead of a fun adventure, it was ponderous melodrama with heavy handed religious overtones.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Screenadelica”