BCB 100 - Hank Williams

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Hank Williams

Postby geoffcowgill » 09 Oct 2006, 00:48

I've got the forty-track, 2-disc best of, which has given me a great deal of pleasure over the years, but yourmusic.com has this 10-disc beast of a box set for $60 (as they do), and I need to know if, if I get it, I'll ever actually listen to all of it. Anyone who has it have any adivce?

So, I don't really know his albums, not really an issue with Hank, I'd imagine, but there are about a dozen songs that I could easily say are my favorite. "Moanin' The Blues" will get the vote, though. How can a song about feeling bad make me feel so good? Sadism, I guess.

Favorite Song - "Moanin' The Blues"

RcL

Postby RcL » 09 Oct 2006, 01:49

Sad that he died so young and in so much pain - I've never seen a photo of him where he looks under 40, even though he died way before that age. Ultimately, unless you are a mad keen fan, a two CD best of will do, as there is quite a bit of samey stuff among the couple of hundred tracks he cut. One of the great songwriters though.

Favourite Hank classic: I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive
Favourite less known track: Dixie Cannonball

WXNW

Postby WXNW » 09 Oct 2006, 01:52

My favourite track is "Alone and Forsaken".
The box set at $60 seems reasonable. It was about £90 in the UK when it first came out.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 09 Oct 2006, 02:26

"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" for me.

It tears me up every time.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 09 Oct 2006, 02:32

Album - the disc that moonie sent me. :lol:

Song - another nod to I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Oct 2006, 02:39

WXNW wrote:My favourite track is "Alone and Forsaken".

Hard to beat it. As much press as "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" for it's evocative lyrics, "Alone and Forsaken" might well be his very best. But since we're talking about our favorite track - I'll go with "You're Gonna Change (Or I'm Gonna Leave)." "Alone" is simply too dark to call my favorite.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 09 Oct 2006, 10:34

song: depending on the mood, either: move it on over or ramblin' man

album: first four cds of the boxset

on discovery, hank williams' music was a huge revelation to me. the high-water mark of country music.

brilleaux

Postby brilleaux » 09 Oct 2006, 10:46

Track: "I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive"
"I am a dull and simple lad. Cannot tell water from champagne."

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 09 Oct 2006, 16:05

Modern music just wouldn't be what it is today without Hank. For me, no one even comes close. He is it for me.

So many outstanding songs but my favorites right now are Half As Much, Cold Cold Heart and I'd Still Want You.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Oct 2006, 02:30

I can't even begin to say. One of the greatest songwriters ever, and that's no hype. Long Gone Lonesome Blues, Lost Highway, Alone and Forsaken, I'll Never Get Out of this World Alive, Move it On Over- for starters. One of the few artists ever that never wrote a bad song that I can think of. And again, it's all about being honest in your craft- years before John Lennon or Marvin Gaye, he was a person who exposed his pain publicly without self-censorship.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Oct 2006, 02:53

toomanyhatz wrote:I can't even begin to say. One of the greatest songwriters ever, and that's no hype. Long Gone Lonesome Blues, Lost Highway, Alone and Forsaken, I'll Never Get Out of this World Alive, Move it On Over- for starters. One of the few artists ever that never wrote a bad song that I can think of. And again, it's all about being honest in your craft- years before John Lennon or Marvin Gaye, he was a person who exposed his pain publicly without self-censorship.

Just read the lyrics to I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry and they're pure poetry.

Even Jambalaya has a great little story going through it----and it didn't have to as catchy as it is.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Oct 2006, 22:25

sloopjohnc wrote: Even Jambalaya has a great little story going through it----and it didn't have to as catchy as it is.

Yep, "Kaw-Liga" too.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 10 Oct 2006, 22:29

"Kaw-Liga" is hotter than hell.

And "Mind Your Own Business" is poetic.

In a pinch, "Kaw Liga".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Oct 2006, 22:30

Loveless wrote:"Kaw-Liga" is hotter than hell.

Yep, it's a little known fact that when KISS were thinking of the title for their second album they had "Kaw-Liga" in mind.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 10 Oct 2006, 22:31

Funny...

"Somebody backstage told me you people like the taste of wooden Indians!!!!!"

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Oct 2006, 22:34

Paul Stanley was asking for some "poor 'ole wooden head" backstage too.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Oct 2006, 23:16

"I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry" one of the best-est vocals ever by anybody!

bixhenry

Postby bixhenry » 11 Oct 2006, 01:24

Hank Williams is as good as it gets, period. One can name Dylan, Gershwin, Ellington, whomever - Hank is right up there with the all-time greats.

My favorite HW tune is a three-way tie between 'Alone and Forsaken', 'Ramblin' Man,' and 'Long Gone Lonesome Blues' ('I'm goin' down the river three times, but Lord I'm only coming up twice'...wow!).
Wu-Tang Clan's Rza, on his non-rap influences: "Pink Floyd, Beatles, Yes...all them niggas!"

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: BCB 100 - Hank Williams

Postby Muskrat » 11 Oct 2006, 01:40

geoffcowgill wrote:I've got the forty-track, 2-disc best of, which has given me a great deal of pleasure over the years, but yourmusic.com has this 10-disc beast of a box set for $60 (as they do), and I need to know if, if I get it, I'll ever actually listen to all of it. Anyone who has it have any adivce?

I can't imagine that, having ther 40-cut version, you don't already know the answer to your question -- either way. For most people, 40 cuts of anybody would be enough; some would want everything the artist ever cut. Stand up and be counted, man!

geoffcowgill wrote:So, I don't really know his albums, not really an issue with Hank...

Hank never cut any albums; everything out there was assembled posthumously from singles, outtakes and demos; some of those overdubbed while Hank was "resting" in his grave.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 11 Oct 2006, 01:40

It might be worth getting the box set. My reasoning is this: my favorite Hank Williams, Sr. tunes are not the big hits. "The Funeral", "Thy Burdens Are Greater Than Mine", "Alone and Forsaken". I like these more than "Your Cheating Heart".

Return to “BCB 100”