BCB 100 - Pink Floyd

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Beno

Postby Beno » 23 Jul 2006, 21:45

Prince Of Peace wrote:Album: Wish You Were Here

Track : Comfortably Numb

Seeing someone with exactly the same choices saves on my typing. I was a bit alarmed when I noticed who it was though.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 23 Jul 2006, 22:32

An interesting band.

I prefer 'Piper' to any of the other albums if i'm honest, I also really like what directly follows i.e. Saucerful and More.

the 'Classics' like 'Dark Side of the Moon' and 'Wish You Were Here' I only like, I don't love them like the early stuff.

But i kind of like the way there are two completely different bands.

Anything after the Wall though, I wouldn't accept it if you came up to me and give me a copy for free.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 23 Jul 2006, 22:38

It is awful...I can sort of see what he was trying to do, it's a good idea maybe, I know i couldn't have done better....but yes it is shit...i just can't stand kids vocals in songs full stop but this is the worst example.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Jul 2006, 23:40

They're really two bands: with Syd and post-Syd.

with Syd album: Piper (duh)

with Syd song: Bike

Post-Syd album: Dark Side, I guess, even though it's completely played out.

Post-Syd song: Echoes
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 23 Jul 2006, 23:56

It is a testament to the musicality of the sixties and seventies that someone virtually tone deaf like Roger Waters felt he had to write songs with melodies and indeed came up with melodically strong stuff like "Corporal Clegg", "Green Is the Colour", "San Tropez", and even later stuff like "Don't Leave Me Now". For a bunch of architecture students (and a gifted blues guitarist), it's surprising they came up with something like "Echoes", which really is The Beatles ("Across the Universe" specifically) transported to the seventies.

Pink Floyd have already reaped their rewards, so they don't need me to defend them or to speak for them, but on a purely musical level, they were a superior group. There are many aspects of their career that can and probably should be criticized, but their albums up through the end of the seventies were great. Piper is fresh and inventive (geoff, it's odd you would slate it for not being "majestic" as I don't think it was really meant to be, nearly all the songs being single-length); More is warm and druggy and slow yet not overbearing; Animals bites with an intensity you can still feel today.

Whatever one may think of them -- and this takes into account all of one's prejudices, whether those inherited from one's era (e.g., the post-punk/pre-indie belief that PF were overblown prog) or from one's own personal experiences (e.g., an older brother who overplayed PF to death) -- the Floyd's canon offers enough of a complete world -- full of loud and soft, conventional and experimental, emotional and intellectual, melodic and rhythmic -- to justify becoming an all-consuming obsession or to fuel a radio station. One can say that about few artists: The Beatles, Bowie maybe, and who else?

Anyway, my favorites at the moment are...

Album: The More soundtrack. Animals is runner up -- I'm surprised it has retained as much power as it has.
Song: So many ... "Rain in the Country" (Zabriskie Point-era instrumental outtake from Omay Yad bootleg), "Crumbling Land" (also ZP-era), "Green Is the Colour" (studio and BBC versions), "See-Saw", "The Scarecrow", "The Grand Vizier's Garden Party" (which would have made a great kung-fu movie soundtrack), "Dogs", and "Absolutely Curtains".
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 23 Jul 2006, 23:58

I'm man enough to admit Dark Side is my favorite album and Wish You Were Here my favorite song.

Classic Rock Forever! :lol:
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Love Vigilante

Postby Love Vigilante » 24 Jul 2006, 00:25

I love 'em. Much underappreciated here, I think. I tend to think of them as four bands. Syd era/umm, "classic" era/Waters + 3 era/Gilmour era.

The Waters + 3 era is probably my least favourite. The Wall's ambition is to be admired; unfortunately much of the music isn't to be. I can find more I like on A Momentary Lapse... and The Division Bell.

My favourite track might well be the prog-tastic Echoes, which is everything a side-long prog rock track should be. And there's a moment about three quarters of the way in where Gilmour's guitar just soars, which is one of my favourite moments in music.

As far as the albums go, I love all the big-hitters bar The Wall (though it certainly has its moments), but I'd have to go for the often scorned Animals, which is so misanthropic and proggy I couldn't not love it.
BCB UEFA Cup Fantasy Football Champion 2006/07

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 24 Jul 2006, 05:29

The albums I play the most these days are the Pre-Dark Side stuff but ultimately my favourite albums are the big sellers: Meddle to The Wall. A run of five perfect albums.

Album: Animals
In the past it never received anything like the amount of play as the others from that preiod but these days it's the one I play the most.

Track: See Emily play for the Syd years but it's much trickier to pick just from the rest. I'll think I'll go for Sheep. Written solely by Waters but it sounds like a real group effort from Wright's lovely jazzy intro to Gilmour's thunderous fade out. Everyone is on top form throughout.

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 24 Jul 2006, 05:46

Beno wrote:
Prince Of Peace wrote:Album: Wish You Were Here

Track : Comfortably Numb

Seeing someone with exactly the same choices saves on my typing. I was a bit alarmed when I noticed who it was though.

How do you think I feel?! :wink:

Delgado

Postby Delgado » 24 Jul 2006, 10:00

Album Animals
Track The Great Gig In The Sky
"I don't want to see a ghost/It's the sight I fear most/I'd rather have a piece of toast"

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 24 Jul 2006, 10:07

Album - The Wall (Pooper At The Gates Of Yawn? What a pack of daft cunts)

Song - Wish You Were Here
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 24 Jul 2006, 16:44

Album- Wish You Were Here

Song - "Comfortably Numb"
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jul 2006, 16:47

Jeff K wrote:I'm man enough to admit Dark Side is my favorite album and Wish You Were Here my favorite song.

Classic Rock Forever! :lol:

Rolling Stone would be proud, Jeff!

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 24 Jul 2006, 16:50

Album: WYWH - the first album I ever owned, so it's my favourite, even if I often feel as if Animals (or, less often, Echoes) is better.
Song: One Of These Days. Don't ask me why - perhaps it's the stupid wig-out.
Just a penitent man

BajaJaba

Postby BajaJaba » 24 Jul 2006, 17:00

Album: Meddle Song: Paintbox

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 25 Jul 2006, 00:53

I quite like The Wall!! Although it made for the most depressing rock movie ever, the songs are powerful.

I have seen Quaco give the most impassioned performance of Don't Leave Me Now ever rendered.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 25 Jul 2006, 01:07

bobzilla77 wrote:I quite like The Wall!! Although it made for the most depressing rock movie ever, the songs are powerful.

I have seen Quaco give the most impassioned performance of Don't Leave Me Now ever rendered.

You saw that?? I was very into it. I love that song. A shame it was a bit out of my range.... :oops:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 25 Jul 2006, 01:10

album: Meddle
song: Lucifer Sam

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 28 Jul 2006, 00:02

album: animals. i've been in the animalian zone for awhile now.

song: echoes. echoesechoesechoes.

Nicky Loves Fuzz

Postby Nicky Loves Fuzz » 15 Aug 2006, 10:29

ALBUM: Animals

SONG: The Great Gig In The Sky

Return to “BCB 100”