BCB 100 - The Zombies

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 23 Jul 2006, 12:20

I have a compilation of their singles. Apart, obviously, from "Time Of The Season", none of the songs from Odessey on that compilation has ever made me want to hear the whole album. The previously used phrase "pansy and undangerous" kind of sums it up for me; perfectly pleasant, yet almost never exciting in any way.

If we're going for favourite song, it's a toss-up between "She's Not There", "Indication" and "Time Of The Season". Those three are standouts.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 23 Jul 2006, 15:17

The Penk wrote:Album: ooh, I wonder
Song: Hung Up On a Dream

'Hung Up On A Dream' is one of the most incredible, jaw-dropping songs in the history of pop music. Sometimes I think it is perfection itself. So terribly sad and achingly beautiful at the same time. I hear the song more through my guts than through my ears. Wonderful.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 25 Jul 2006, 03:03

Quaco wrote:The Zombies are a group where I prefer not to hear other people namecheck them or talk too much about them.

Not me. There is much to say about this group, but I will just dwell on one of the more obvious statements, namely how advanced "She's Not There" was for its time (the middle of 1964). Why is this important? Perhaps as another way of reminding oneself just how advanced The Beatles were when they hit. Of course, we all know this, but we don't really acknowledge it all the time. "Their chords were outrageous, but their harmonies made it work." So said Dylan, or something like that.

And yet, The Zombies in this single may have been more advanced than anything The Beatles ever released in 64/65. Look at it from different angles--the emotional tone of the piece, the solos, the sound of the vocals. This piece really doesn't sound like 64. It sounds like 1966 or maybe early 1967. That's an enormous difference.

pcqgod

Re: BCB 100 - The Zombies

Postby pcqgod » 02 Jul 2010, 05:18

album: Odessey and Oracle
song: Hung up on a dream
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “BCB 100”