BCB 100 - Nick Drake

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
frimleygreener
Location: between the rose and thistle and the old weatsheaf...

Postby frimleygreener » 06 Jul 2006, 16:10

has anyone else read that bloody awful book "northern sky" that name checks drake amongst other folk icons?

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 06 Jul 2006, 16:19

I've been on a Five Leaves Left bender lately. At the moment, I'd make it one of my desert island discs. Had this on for some of my pastoral drives a few days ago, yeah, how Volkswagon commercial. But sometimes delicate and shimmering is exactly the right thing.
Fortunately, I'm not one of the people bothered by the RT contribution to Time Has Told Me. Can't say the same for my husband, tells me each time I play it, forgetting that he's told me before, "See, I hate that part."

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Re: BCB 100 - Nick Drake

Postby The Slider » 06 Jul 2006, 16:49

JQW wrote:
The Slider wrote:
In many ways I like the instrumentals best.
But they do all sound like the theme tunes to ITV serieses from the very early 70s, don't they? :lol:

They most likely were used as theme tunes! The local TV stations up here (both ITV and BBC) used to pinch all kinds of things for their theme tunes back then, particularly if instrumental. I first heard Tull's 'Bourre' as the them to a local TV show called Naturewatch.

the title track sounds like a cross between 'Man About The House' and 'Mary, Mungo and Midge'
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 06 Jul 2006, 16:53

The Slider wrote:
JQW wrote:
The Slider wrote:
In many ways I like the instrumentals best.
But they do all sound like the theme tunes to ITV serieses from the very early 70s, don't they? :lol:

They most likely were used as theme tunes! The local TV stations up here (both ITV and BBC) used to pinch all kinds of things for their theme tunes back then, particularly if instrumental. I first heard Tull's 'Bourre' as the them to a local TV show called Naturewatch.

the title track sounds like a cross between 'Man About The House' and 'Mary, Mungo and Midge'.

And this, from a man who is almost universally acclaimed as one of the greatest singer-songwriters of all-time, whose melancholy, tender voice and sweet, poetic, finger-picking guitar style moved entire generations.

That the title track of one of his greatest albums - a classic, no less - sounds like a cross between 'Man About The House' and 'Mary, Mungo and Midge'..

Really, truthfully, no more need be said.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 06 Jul 2006, 17:14

You are too young to remember just how good those two august tunes actually were.

Whippersnapper.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Midnight Special
Renaissance Man

Postby The Midnight Special » 07 Jul 2006, 00:33

Album : 'Byter Layter'

Song : 'I fucked a cyberman up the shitter and electrocuted my bollocks (demo)', from a a bootleg I got from a market stall in Mesopotamia. A pearl of a feelgood song if ever I heard one.
Gracias por su visita

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 09 Jul 2006, 12:09

I just want to restate something that I posted on another Nick Drake thread: whatever "baggage" there may be around this performer has absolutely no significance for me. I don't find him iconic at all; he was really very little known as a person and as performer in life, and even in death there is not much information available about him. Compare with casualties such as, say, Jim Morrison or Syd Barrett. Honestly, I'm not aware of any 'cult' surrounding Nick Drake and thank fuck for that.

What I get out of the music is that it creates, in a small body of about 35 songs, a self-contained world as vivid and as rich as a first-person Thomas Hardy novel; and it is every bit as remote, romantic and tragic as that implies.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 09 Jul 2006, 12:22

northernsky wrote:I just want to restate something that I posted on another Nick Drake thread: whatever "baggage" there may be around this performer has absolutely no significance for me. I don't find him iconic at all; he was really very little known as a person and as performer in life, and even in death there is not much information available about him. Compare with casualties such as, say, Jim Morrison or Syd Barrett. Honestly, I'm not aware of any 'cult' surrounding Nick Drake and thank fuck for that.

I think the cult, and the baggage, is due to the fact so little is known about him. He's a genuine enigma, something which is very rare in rock history.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

BajaJaba

Postby BajaJaba » 09 Jul 2006, 12:52

Album - Bryter Layter

Song - One of these things first

K

Postby K » 09 Jul 2006, 17:20

Thompson's guitar playing is like pulling nails out of a coffin (Marcus's description). Drake's is like rubbing your fingertips on unvarnished wood.

Red card, T5D. I enjoy reading many of your comments, but this one is so meaningless and, dare I say it, pretentious that I am lost for words.

Think about it.. Nick Drake's guitar playing is like rubbing your fingertips on unvarinished wood... (rough? pointless? risking splinters? dry?)

If you think his playing is rough then say rough, clumsy then say clumsy, precise then say precise.

His singing is like slurping up dribbled milk from a kitchen work surface.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Aug 2006, 06:31

EDIT: I had linked a couple articles from the website run by Nick Drake's estate:

Nick Drake: A Memoir Of My Childhood Friend

Nick Drake: Live Performances

but the site's been reformatted and the links don't work anymore. Just go to the website and you'll find them.
Last edited by zoomboogity on 20 Apr 2007, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

"Quite."

petulant clarksville

Postby petulant clarksville » 16 Apr 2007, 22:34

Nobody's talked about Nick Drake since last August??????

That's a disgrace.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 17 Apr 2007, 12:24

petulant clarksville wrote:Nobody's talked about Nick Drake since last August??????

That's a disgrace.

We've been talking about him quite a lot in the secret room.

I went to see that Nick Drake tribute bloke; it wasn't that good really; he didn't try to sound like the records and I didn't like his beard!
“Erratic associate member”

petulant clarksville

Postby petulant clarksville » 18 Apr 2007, 10:26

Neil Jung wrote:
petulant clarksville wrote:Nobody's talked about Nick Drake since last August??????

That's a disgrace.

We've been talking about him quite a lot in the secret room.

I went to see that Nick Drake tribute bloke; it wasn't that good really; he didn't try to sound like the records and I didn't like his beard!

There's a secret room? WHERE? Is it at the back of the second-hand bookshop?

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 19 Apr 2007, 06:47

kalowski! wrote:
Thompson's guitar playing is like pulling nails out of a coffin (Marcus's description). Drake's is like rubbing your fingertips on unvarnished wood.

Red card, T5D. I enjoy reading many of your comments, but this one is so meaningless and, dare I say it, pretentious that I am lost for words.

Think about it.. Nick Drake's guitar playing is like rubbing your fingertips on unvarinished wood... (rough? pointless? risking splinters? dry?)

If you think his playing is rough then say rough, clumsy then say clumsy, precise then say precise.

Two comments:

1) If I were to have compared Drake's playing to some grand, abstract metaphor (e.g., something to do with fluffy, celestial clouds--as if there were any other type of clouds) I could see how the comparison would be "pretentious". Comparing his playing to something as mundane and as ordinary as rubbing your fingers on unvarnished wood has nothing to do with pretention. It just doesn't.

2) I'm sticking by my description, by the way. If you can't see it, you should try playing some of Drake's tunes using his tunings: CGCFCE. More than any other guitarist I can think of, his sound really has the sound of his fingertips. There's a lot of noise in his playing and a lot of it comes from detuning the guitar.

These descriptions are not nonsequitur attempts to be odd or pretentious. They have to do with sitting down and trying to figure out how Drake got his sound.

I could give a technical description of why when you detune strings, the string pick up more nonharmonic tones, but many people have indicated that they are not interested in that much technical detail.

petulant clarksville

Postby petulant clarksville » 21 Apr 2007, 21:29

take5_d_shorterer wrote:
kalowski! wrote:

Two comments:

1) If I were to have compared Drake's playing to some grand, abstract metaphor (e.g., something to do with fluffy, celestial clouds--as if there were any other type of clouds) I could see how the comparison would be "pretentious". Comparing his playing to something as mundane and as ordinary as rubbing your fingers on unvarnished wood has nothing to do with pretention. It just doesn't.

2) I'm sticking by my description, by the way. If you can't see it, you should try playing some of Drake's tunes using his tunings: CGCFCE. More than any other guitarist I can think of, his sound really has the sound of his fingertips. There's a lot of noise in his playing and a lot of it comes from detuning the guitar.

These descriptions are not nonsequitur attempts to be odd or pretentious. They have to do with sitting down and trying to figure out how Drake got his sound.

I could give a technical description of why when you detune strings, the string pick up more nonharmonic tones, but many people have indicated that they are not interested in that much technical detail.

I'm with you, er, take-d-shorterer (?) Kalowski was just crushing the human spirit. I like that unvarnished wood thing. If we all had to choose from just rough, clumsy or precise then it would be time to jump under a train.

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 31 Jan 2011, 08:43

Album: Five Leaves Left

Song: Three Hours
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

Return to “BCB 100”