BCB 100 - Fairport Convention

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Fairport Convention

Postby geoffcowgill » 03 Jul 2006, 18:48

I have to say upfront that Sandy Denny's voice is on some frequency that I just can't hear. It's pleasant, but it flows over me without anything really coming through. The words don't get through; it's all some flute music or something. It really diminishes my connection to the songs. I tend to like the music quite a bit, and some of the stuff on the first album (though very different from what I think of when I think of FC) is very enjoyable. Unhalfbricking and Liege and Lief are just about tied, but I think the Dylan will tip it for the former. "Farewell, Farewell" is my favorite song; beautiful, simple.

Favorite Album - Unhalfbricking

Favorite Song - "Farewell, Farewell"

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jul 2006, 19:02

I'll play.

So many fine LPs and so many tracks to chose from.

I'll start with

Full House

Walk Awhile & Sloth (two tracks, I know)

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 03 Jul 2006, 19:21

Tough one - although really the answer should be Unhalfbricking, L&L or Full House, but I'm in an ornery mood, so........

Album: Nine
Trevor lucas's finest moment, and some very under-rated songs.

Song: Sloth
The One of the really long live versions.

Scally Mcgrew
apparent poobah

Re: BCB 100 - Fairport Convention

Postby Scally Mcgrew » 03 Jul 2006, 20:16

Favorite Album - What We Did On Our Holidays

Favorite Song - I'll Keep It With Mine/ Book Song
Know what really makes me mad? They clean me with a Brillo pad...

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 03 Jul 2006, 20:34

ALBUM - What We Did On Our Summer Holidays
SONG - Who Knows Where The Time Goes - which is one of the most beautiful songs by anyone, anywhere.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Jul 2006, 20:37

Oops. Ignore. (Double-post.)
Last edited by toomanyhatz on 03 Jul 2006, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Jul 2006, 20:37

Yeah, I love them, but they hung on way too long. I shocked Matt Wilson recently by telling them I ultimately think the Byrds had a better career overall. And early Steeleye Span is better. And Maddy Prior is a better singer than Sandy Denny. But if you cut 'em off in about '75, they're one of the greats.

Album - Toss-up between What We Did on Our Holidays and Full House.

Song - Too many to name. But off the top of my head- best song Thompson wrote for them- "Meet on the Ledge." Best trad. - "Matty Groves." Best cover- "Million Dollar Bash" (what fun).
Last edited by toomanyhatz on 03 Jul 2006, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Jul 2006, 20:39

Good band.
I liked 'em just fine until Toomanyhatz told me some unsavory things about the group and their attitudes towards women, minorities and underage slave labor in Chile.

Now I, I just don't know...

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 03 Jul 2006, 20:52

toomanyhatz wrote:And Maddy Prior is a better singer than Sandy Denny.

Gosh, you had me going there..................
I almost believed you!
Of course, Sandy had shedloads more vocal talent and character than Maddy ( and I truley love Maddy Prior), and probably only matched by Dusty Springfield in the canon of british female voices.
Ah, where to start with Fairport?
Still a great band, and although there were far too many spurious line ups, and yet there was always something interesting about them.
Swarbs warm voice is also distinctive, and Donahues guitar work is hugely overshadowed by Richard Thompson.
But the early stuff is still the best, and even though I really like "Unhalfbricking", my favourite is still the one that woke me up to folk-rock.
"Liege & Lief" and my favourite track is "Tam Lin".
Bless the weather.......Image

Hare Brained
Maddie as a March Hare

Postby Hare Brained » 03 Jul 2006, 20:55

toomanyhatz wrote:Yeah, I love them, but they hung on way too long. I shocked Matt Wilson recently by telling them I ultimately think the Byrds had a better career overall. And early Steeleye Span is better. And Maddy Prior is a better singer than Sandy Denny. But if you cut 'em off in about '75, they're one of the greats.

I'm finding myself disagreeing with you on more and more and more and more and just about everything. :shock:

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Jul 2006, 20:55

And then there's also their involvement in organized crime in the UK...

Hare Brained
Maddie as a March Hare

Postby Hare Brained » 03 Jul 2006, 21:01

For example

ABSOLUTE Image

imho

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Jul 2006, 21:07

Haretic wrote:For example

ABSOLUTE Image

imho

Geez, Haretic--I just played your Manassas video.

Fantastic.

Hare Brained
Maddie as a March Hare

Postby Hare Brained » 03 Jul 2006, 21:11

Matt Wilson wrote:Geez, Haretic--I just played your Manassas video.

Fantastic.

Er ... Fantastic doesn't even begin ...

imho

Stills is my favourite artist, and the Manassas double album is the only one consistantly in my top 5 ever. I was chuffed when I saw Chris Hillman last year (oh, did I mention I met Stills? - where's that yawn emoticon?) but I never - never never thought I'd see footage of Manassas. It's fucking fantastic.

I e-mailed the woman who posted it on youtube - apparently it's from a DVD. Which I shall be getting, sharpish.

But thanks

Meanwhile, Fairport. I've seen them tonnes of times, and seen Steeleye Span just the once. The former always seem to enjoy themselves and the latter was so bored out of their tree I swore I'd never see them again. But talking about the voices - it's true, Maddie Prior has the clarity of tone and pronunciation but all the soul and feeling of a slap in the face on a cold day. There's so much in Sandy Denny's voice, warmth, humour - I don't know, it's just so much more expressive.

I'd say most of my favourite Fairport stuff is early, true, but probably being fond of over a long time influences the magnitude of your feelings. You need to give other stuff more of a chance.

But I can't choose one album (not for Fairport, not for other acts I love). Can't be done. (Eg, even though I mention the Manassas double album - there are days when I love Stills Live, for example, more.) But i can honourably mention: Unhalfbricking, Leige & Lief, Nine, Tipplers' Tales, ... er, no I can't actually.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Jul 2006, 23:18

album: Unhalfbricking
song: "walk awhile"

Brin
Rogue element
Location: ''Trying to get to heaven before they close the door''

Postby Brin » 03 Jul 2006, 23:34

Mike Boom wrote:ALBUM - What We Did On Our Summer Holidays
SONG - Who Knows Where The Time Goes - which is one of the most beautiful songs by anyone, anywhere.

same here..
Beebsy wrote:The guys are wankers, we all know that.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 03 Jul 2006, 23:36

toomanyhatz wrote:Song - Too many to name. But off the top of my head- best song Thompson wrote for them- "Meet on the Ledge."

I can't get into that one at all. It's strange, I wonder....everybody cites it as a real classic. I just....I dunno.

I love 'Matty Groves', tho'. And 'A Sailor's Life' (which surely everybody has to like, no? I mean everybody in the whole world)

Hare Brained
Maddie as a March Hare

Postby Hare Brained » 03 Jul 2006, 23:39

The Donut Kid wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Song - Too many to name. But off the top of my head- best song Thompson wrote for them- "Meet on the Ledge."

I can't get into that one at all. It's strange, I wonder....everybody cites it as a real classic. I just....I dunno.

I love 'Matty Groves', tho'. And 'A Sailor's Life' (which surely everybody has to like, no? I mean everybody in the whole world)

Good god coan, you surprise me liking those. Though yes, personally I can't see how anyone couldn't. I love singing along to A Sailor's Life.

Meet on the ledge - do you know what it's about? That might help explain it.
Last edited by Hare Brained on 03 Jul 2006, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 03 Jul 2006, 23:41

Bonnie Brown Hare wrote:
The Donut Kid wrote:

Good god coan, you surprise me liking those. Though yes, personally I can't see how anyone couldn't.

Meet on the ledge - do you know what it's about?

No! Go on...

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 03 Jul 2006, 23:42

This is an easy one for me.

Album: Unhalfbricking

Song: Who Knows Where the Time Goes
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Return to “BCB 100”