BCB 100 - Ramones

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Ramones

Postby geoffcowgill » 01 Jul 2006, 19:24

Leave Home is probably my favorite. I like their poppy stuff the best, and with "I Remember You", their lovely cover of "California Sun", and especially "Swallow My Pride" (which I'll say today is my favorite song of theirs), this album has it in spades.

Favorite Album - Leave Home

Favorite Song - "Swallow My Pride"

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 01 Jul 2006, 19:31

I like 'em more than listen to 'em. They don't move me at all. But they were great.

Song: 'Beat on the Brat'
Album: 'Rocket to Russia'

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 01 Jul 2006, 19:36

Lp - Its Alive
Track - Rockaway Beach and everything thereafter.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 01 Jul 2006, 19:36

any of the first three albums and any of the songs thereon.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Jul 2006, 19:37

The Slider wrote:any of the first four albums and any of the songs thereon.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 01 Jul 2006, 19:42

Mmm.
The fourth is good.
the first three are better.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 01 Jul 2006, 20:03

There isn't a lot that can be said about the Ramones. They're great fun, basically. Never moved mountains but tapped a seemingly endless supply of great riffs and tunes, and played them in a wonderfully energetic, tongue-in-cheek way.
Album? The first one, probably.
Song? Today Your Love Tomorrow the World. Fantastically blunt.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 01 Jul 2006, 21:26

They were one of a kind. To me they're the foremost example of what a band really is. None of the four of them really had unusual talent- it was the creative spark and tension of putting them together that made it happen.

And I don't usually get nationalistic about these things, but all this talk about whether the brits or americans were first is silly- the class of '76 pretty much all said "Blitzkrieg Bop" was their rallying cry. With a nod to all the great pub bands that provided a sonic example, I still have to say the Ramones were the strongest turning point.

Album - Tempting to say the first four are tied. All have great things about them. But probably the first, as it's the purest.

Song - Again, hard to pick just one. I tend to like the ones that stand apart from their basic sound, so "Questioningly" (which I've always loved) might be up there. But then I can't deny the grittiness of "53rd and 3rd." And I love the humorous ones like "Suzy is a Headbanger." And they do great covers. Certainly "Surfin' Bird" is as true to the spirit of the original as any version ever done. So there- one from each of the first four- I don't have to narrow it down any more than that, do I?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 01 Jul 2006, 22:09

Album: Rocket To Russia

Song: "We're A Happy Family"

Buried Treasure: "You Sound Like You're Sick" from Pleasant Dreams
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 01 Jul 2006, 23:02

I think the first album significantly better than the others.

In fact, I'm happy with the first album and the first disc of the 'Hey Ho Anthology'. The second disc is a bit shit really.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 01 Jul 2006, 23:09

Album - Leave Home

Song - The KKK Took My Baby Away
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Jul 2006, 23:20

1st album and Blitzkrieg Bop for me.
We're way past rhubarb

RcL

Postby RcL » 02 Jul 2006, 00:03

Okay - a devil's advocate question...

The Ramones - the look, the shtick, the performance, all cool and some catchy numbers, but musically, what did they add that wasn't there before?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 02 Jul 2006, 00:09

RcL wrote:Okay - a devil's advocate question...

The Ramones - the look, the shtick, the performance, all cool and some catchy numbers, but musically, what did they add that wasn't there before?

A bit glib, perhaps, but maybe it's all about what they subtracted, rather than what they added.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 02 Jul 2006, 00:10

Why is it so important to 'add' something?

RcL

Postby RcL » 02 Jul 2006, 00:54

I remember a list of the tracks from I'm Alive, from 25 years ago, which clearly named the blues, r&b and rock and roll songs the Ramones had ripped off in each case. If you're happy that they lifted lots of stock songs and made them a bit 'punky', then hurray I suppose.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 02 Jul 2006, 01:32

Most prolonged exposure to them plays on my nerves a bit, to be honest. However, songs like 'Judy Is A Punk', 'Sheena Is A Punk Rocker', 'Locket Love' and 'I Can't Give You Anything' give me short, sharp thrills and make me glad to be alive.

Actually, I like them best when they're just being purely pop - their cover of 'Needles and Pins', for instance, is exemplary. It's the stuff like 'We're A Happy Family' that does my head in: essentially the stuff which doesn't flex the minor chord.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 02 Jul 2006, 01:49

RcL wrote:I remember a list of the tracks from I'm Alive, from 25 years ago, which clearly named the blues, r&b and rock and roll songs the Ramones had ripped off in each case. If you're happy that they lifted lots of stock songs and made them a bit 'punky', then hurray I suppose.

The Ramones did their share of ripping off. AM pop, bubblegum, surf rock, etc. But I'll be damned if I can find any blues or R&B influences in any of their songs. :lol:

Hell, they wouldn't even know how to play a blues lick, let alone rip one off.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 02 Jul 2006, 11:11

E sharp on 'Weekend World wrote:

A bit glib, perhaps, but maybe it's all about what they subtracted, rather than what they added.

Absolutely. 'None of us are great musicians, let's see if we can still produce something worth hearing' kind of attitude, and the answer to that question has to be yes. Certainly not my favourite band and I think a little of them goes a long way, but there's something admirable about their style. Like supporting the underdogs in a footy match.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

Return to “BCB 100”