BCB 100 - David Bowie

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 25 Jun 2006, 02:23

Album: The Man Who Sold The World

Song: "Hang On To Yourself"
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 25 Jun 2006, 02:28

Album: Aladdin Sane

Song: "Life On Mars?"

What can I say.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 25 Jun 2006, 07:39

Album: The remastered Stage is an amazing improvement, OK it's probably not his best but it deserves mention
Song: Golden Years or Station To Station (Live version from Stage)

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 25 Jun 2006, 12:19

Album: Alladin Sane (sheer quality throughout, and it has 'Drive in Saturday')

Song: Ashes to Ashes (quite easily actually)

My favourite album changes every few days. It's never Young Americans or anything post Scary Monsters though.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

atomic loonybin
ready for the house

Postby atomic loonybin » 25 Jun 2006, 12:23

Classic Prof wrote:Album: Ziggy Stardust

Track: Will You Rock & Roll With Me

sorted

:x

When you rock and roll with me, clot.

Gater05

Postby Gater05 » 25 Jun 2006, 15:55

Album-Ziggy
Song-Heroes
what ought to be ought not to be so hard

BajaJaba

Postby BajaJaba » 25 Jun 2006, 16:01

Album - Hunky Dory
Song - Suffragette City

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 25 Jun 2006, 19:30

Sutekh wrote:Albottom: Hunky Dory

Track: The London Boys

nice to see someone mention that one -great song.

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 26 Jun 2006, 09:42

Album - Ziggy
Song - Life On Mars

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Jun 2006, 15:16

T. Berry Shuffle wrote:Album: Ziggy Stardust

Song: For me, I just can't get over the crashing cinemagraphic effect of hearing Bowie tear into "Life on Mars." It's a life affirming moment!

So how are we going to sustain hostitility if I have to agree 100% with you?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 26 Jun 2006, 18:34

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:

Song: For me, I just can't get over the crashing cinemagraphic effect of hearing Bowie tear into "Life on Mars." It's a life affirming moment!

You shouldn't be agreeing with him. That's the simple answer.

Like 'Heroes', 'Life On Mars' suffers from Bowies torturous Judy Garland darlink-I'm-ALIIIIVE! bellowing, alloyed with the stupidest hippy lyrics this side of 'oh oh ohohoh fireplace' early REM.

By Christ, you only have to see the promo, with the Dame tarted up to the eyeballs, and listen to lines about Mickey Mouse being grown up a cow, and realise the man was a fucking tosspot of the highest order. It's rock and roll stripped of rage, where all that remains is artifice.

I'd much rather hear 'Imagine'. At least Lennon wasn't a coward when it came to expressing himself.

BajaJaba

Postby BajaJaba » 26 Jun 2006, 18:37

King John Coan wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:

You shouldn't be agreeing with him. That's the simple answer.

Like 'Heroes', 'Life On Mars' suffers from Bowies torturous Judy Garland darlink-I'm-ALIIIIVE! bellowing, alloyed with the stupidest hippy lyrics this side of 'oh oh ohohoh fireplace' early REM.

By Christ, you only have to see the promo, with the Dame tarted up to the eyeballs, and listen to lines about Mickey Mouse being grown up a cow, and realise the man was a fucking tosspot of the highest order. It's rock and roll stripped of rage, where all that remains is artifice.

I'd much rather hear 'Imagine'. At least Lennon wasn't a coward when it came to expressing himself.

Maybe it's just because Heroes is just a cracker of a song....personally I do feel the emotion in that song, and in life on mars as well though i would think it is a bit syrupy.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 26 Jun 2006, 18:42

King John Coan wrote:I'd much rather hear 'Imagine'. At least Lennon wasn't a coward when it came to expressing himself.

Bowie and Lennon had two fundamentally different approaches when it came to performance. Lennon believed the performer shoul reveal everything and that the artistic merit lay in the honesty of the act. Bowie believed that you could use narration and performance as a way of distancing that performer from the expression so as to highlight the artfulness of that expression. I don' think it had anything to do with how brave, or not, either performer was. Hate the result, but not the approach I think then.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Jun 2006, 18:42

King John Coan wrote:Like 'Heroes', 'Life On Mars' suffers from Bowies torturous Judy Garland darlink-I'm-ALIIIIVE! bellowing, alloyed with the stupidest hippy lyrics this side of 'oh oh ohohoh fireplace' early REM.

And so...assuming you are a Bowie fan, how exactly is this a problem for you?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 26 Jun 2006, 18:47

Clippernolan wrote:
King John Coan wrote:I'd much rather hear 'Imagine'. At least Lennon wasn't a coward when it came to expressing himself.

Bowie and Lennon had two fundamentally different approaches when it came to performance. Lennon believed the performer shoul reveal everything and that the artistic merit lay in the honesty of the act. Bowie believed that you could use narration and performance as a way of distancing that performer from the expression so as to highlight the artfulness of that expression. I don' think it had anything to do with how brave, or not, either performer was. Hate the result, but not the approach I think then.

Well, yes. True. That's what I meant, really. I can't resist a dig at Bowie - at his worst he's really terribly dated and irritating. I wouldn't bother so much if I didn't think his best work touched the stratosphere.

And our approaches differ in that your posts are more considered than mine!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Jun 2006, 18:48

From 69-79 (and maybe even starting before), he was great. Made more abrupt interesting turns than anyone else, Neil included, for that whole period. post-80, hell with 'im, even supposed "returns to form."

Yeah, artifice was part of his game. But it wasn't as if he wasn't being himself. His range of interests was legitimate, and at least for the whole of the 70s, he remembered to always be interesting, even through dubious turns like the white soul singer of "Young Americans."

Album - Hunky Dory. It's just where he's most being himself.

Song - The Bewlay Brothers. Ditto. It's where he confesses the whole game.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 26 Jun 2006, 18:52

toomanyhatz wrote:Album - Hunky Dory. It's just where he's most being himself.

That album features some horrible warbling and his most annoying nonsense lyrics. And you've highlighted one of the worst songs there.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 26 Jun 2006, 18:56

King John Coan wrote:
Clippernolan wrote:

Well, yes. True. That's what I meant, really. I can't resist a dig at Bowie - at his worst he's really terribly dated and irritating. I wouldn't bother so much if I didn't think his best work touched the stratosphere.

And our approaches differ in that your posts are more considered than mine!

:lol:

It struck me that you knew very well that Bowie was all about the artifice, and Lennon about the "honesty". But it was the "cowardice" thing I felt needed to be eliminated there.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Jun 2006, 18:56

King John Coan wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Album - Hunky Dory. It's just where he's most being himself.

That album features some horrible warbling and his most annoying nonsense lyrics. And you've highlighted one of the worst songs there.

Ah, nice to hear from you again, John! I figured you were ignoring me these days.

I hope you don't think The Bewlay Brothers has nonsense lyrics, because if you do, you're not really listening.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 26 Jun 2006, 19:03

Album: Low

Song: Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Return to “BCB 100”