The Manchester United Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
northernsky

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Postby northernsky » 19 Dec 2018, 08:53

PENK wrote:
Toby wrote:Barca, Real, Bayern and United thrive, to a certain extent, on managers who have been at the club for years perhaps as former players. They understand the culture, the politics etc.

So what you're saying is

or

I was just listening, with a vague sense of disbelief gradually penetrating the early morning daze, to Paul Ince on the BBC's football podcast.
He was promoting Sparky as the interim manager. A few minutes later, he suggested himself as the new director of football. Well, they're both "available".

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Dec 2018, 09:00

northernsky wrote:I was just listening, with a vague sense of disbelief gradually penetrating the early morning daze, to Paul Ince on the BBC's football podcast.
He was promoting Sparky as the interim manager. A few minutes later, he suggested himself as the new director of football. Well, they're both "available".

Now... I was listening to Gary Neville last night, where he was asked if he would accept any future role at Old Trafford. He looked genuinely puzzled/exasperated by the question and responded (and I paraphrase for the bitter little men out there) "I shouldn't be asked! It's all about securing the best in field for all of the main roles, and I'm not qualified" which I thought was a very honest answer.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Dec 2018, 09:07

Mark Hughes? :lol:

Ince can barely string a sentence together. I don’t think he’s a particularly smart man
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 19 Dec 2018, 09:08

Solskjaer?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Dec 2018, 09:18

How does an interim manager really work though? Who signs anyone in the January transfer window? The interim guy? The Director of Football - that they don't have? Ed Woodward?

It looks very very dysfunctional at Old Trafford at the moment. They appear to be writing off this season and hoping to secure a decent replacement in time for next season. But if they don't make the Champions League - which is extremely unlikely- that's not going to help them either. They have a squad that needs to be drastically altered - there are masses of deadwood contracts there- but won't realistically be able to start that until the end of the season.

It's a tough assignment, for sure.
Cocaine

`

Postby ` » 19 Dec 2018, 09:33

Diamond Dog wrote:
caramba wrote:
Geezee wrote:
But it's just as funny to hear all the "I TOLD YOU SOs" about something which was about as predictable as you can get.

When Nostradogus speaks, it's a foolish BCBer who fails to listen!

I don't know about you, Geezee, but I for one will be heeding his Old Bore's Almanac's advice that the next few months could turn chilly and wearing a coat and scarf when I venture out.

Talking about bitter little men.....

Says the man who can't take a joke.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Dec 2018, 10:06

Toby wrote:Solskjaer?

He knows the club culture and is well-liked. Some stability and calmness perhaps until the move for Pochettino at the end of the season (I'm guessing at this point Zidane is not in the picture)?

He got relegated and sacked at Cardiff but had a rubbish team to work with, and he has been good in Norway with Molde, playing a Klopp-style high-energy pressing game. He has apparently only just extended his contract there, so I wonder if he will go back there in May (the Norwegian season running April-October); I couldn't see anything about it on the reports I read.
Last edited by Penk! on 19 Dec 2018, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Dec 2018, 10:07

Diamond Dog wrote:How does an interim manager really work though? Who signs anyone in the January transfer window? The interim guy? The Director of Football - that they don't have? Ed Woodward?

There were reports today that "the club" (not Mourinho) were preparing a bid from Douglas Costa from Juve.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Dec 2018, 10:18

PENK wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:How does an interim manager really work though? Who signs anyone in the January transfer window? The interim guy? The Director of Football - that they don't have? Ed Woodward?

There were reports today that "the club" (not Mourinho) were preparing a bid from Douglas Costa from Juve.

And that's the worrying thing from their point of view - who exactly in 'the club' is buying players? Neville was alluding to this last night - when Mourinho was saying that he wasn't allowed to sign players, who exactly was stopping him doing so? If it was Woodward, then god help Man Utd because a financial genius he may be, but he is totally unqualified to be making football decisions. If it's a 'committee' of some type - who? Surely the club need to be more transparent than a faceless committee making personnel decisions (and apparently over-ruling the manager)? I understand how a Director Of football would do that, but that's not how I understand Woodward's role to be?
Cocaine

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 19 Dec 2018, 16:29

PENK wrote:
Toby wrote:Solskjaer?

He has apparently only just extended his contract there, so I wonder if he will go back there in May (the Norwegian season running April-October).

Utd’s season will be long over by April so I guess he can just go back.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 19 Dec 2018, 18:52

PENK wrote:

In the days of Martin Edwards, Ferguson would give him a list of players he would like, and Edwards would try and negotiate a purchase - not always successfully - and the price.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Dec 2018, 09:55

Can’t believe what Roy Keane was saying about the situation this week.

He absolutely lambasted the players for “throwing Mourinho under the bus”.

WTAF has that Portuguese cunt been doing to his players for the last 2 years?

And now some tossers in the media are suggesting that yesterday’s 5-1 win is an indication that they really weren’t giving their best under Mourinho.

Unbelievable.

They have been playing to his plans and his instructions under threat of being dropped and named and shamed if they didn’t do as told.

The shackles were off yesterday and they must have felt brilliant. And it showed.

Looks like now that Mourinho has gone the whole narrative is changing. Hilarious really.

The guy is a dinosaur, lightyears behind the progressive managers occupying the Top 5 places in the PL now. Can’t see anyone wanting him but more fool any club side in the upper echelons of any decent league that do appoint him - unless it’s on a 1 year non-renewable contract, regardless of the apparent success in that year.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 23 Dec 2018, 22:12

[quote="Lord Rother" Can’t see anyone wanting him but more fool any club side in the upper echelons of any decent league that do appoint him - unless it’s on a 1 year non-renewable contract, regardless of the apparent success in that year.[/quote]

Does he need another job?

He should have been able to put enough by to get by for the rest of his life, even without the payout Utd will give him.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Dec 2018, 00:55

John aka Josh wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: Can’t see anyone wanting him but more fool any club side in the upper echelons of any decent league that do appoint him - unless it’s on a 1 year non-renewable contract, regardless of the apparent success in that year.

He should have been able to put enough by to get by for the rest of his life, even without the payout Utd will give him.

His ego needs the attention and the power.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Dec 2018, 08:58

The Modernist wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: Can’t see anyone wanting him but more fool any club side in the upper echelons of any decent league that do appoint him - unless it’s on a 1 year non-renewable contract, regardless of the apparent success in that year.

His ego needs the attention and the power.

There's certainly a bit of that to him, yes.

However I think this time he has been sacked and will not be able to claim (although he unquestionably will) that he leaves the club 'as a winner'. And that will hurt his pride, I'm sure.

Interesting that all the teams he's being associated with (Real, Inter etc) are clubs he's previously managed. I don't think it's any certainty that any current, top notch team are going to take the risk with him. He's damaged goods at present and appears increasingly out-of-synch with how the game has progressed.

I wonder, if the Portuguese job becomes available next summer (after the Nations League finals in Portugal) whether that might be a sound place for him to re-establish himself?
Cocaine

`

Postby ` » 24 Dec 2018, 09:37

His career opportunities on other fronts appear equally lmited after his application for a chef's job at Pizza Hut was rejected on the grounds that he'd never make four seasons

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Dec 2018, 09:41

Ah, humour...I recognise that.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 24 Dec 2018, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Cocaine

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Dec 2018, 09:41

Diamond Dog wrote:I wonder, if the Portuguese job becomes available next summer (after the Nations League finals in Portugal) whether that might be a sound place for him to re-establish himself?

It's a bit of a hiding to nothing though, isn't it? He'd be taking over a fairly poor team who've massively over-achieved recently. It's not likely he'd come out of that looking good, especially as he needs to work with what he's got, and youth coming through, which isn't exactly his skill-set.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Dec 2018, 09:44

I agree but he has always said he wants to do the job and this may be the perfect time.
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 24 Dec 2018, 11:57

Diamond Dog wrote:I agree but he has always said he wants to do the job and this may be the perfect time.

With Ronaldo nearing retirement age (internationally, one suspects, though the guy’s cyborg fitness may keep him going a good while longer), Mourinho has a readymade excuse for when it all goes pear-shaped.

Return to “Sporting Life”