Alan “Boom Boom” Minter RIP

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
`

Alan “Boom Boom” Minter RIP

Postby ` » 10 Sep 2020, 21:52

1972 Olympic bronze medalist and very briefly World Middlweight Champion before getting cut to ribbons by the soon to be invincible "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler in a controversial three-round defeat (famously said he didn't want to lose his title to a black man) at Wembley Arena in 1980.

Jesus those four decades have flown by!

Shocked to find out he was only four years older than me.

RIP Mr M

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Alan “Boom Boom” Minter RIP

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Sep 2020, 19:47

Hagler beat him stupid in London and thanks to the thuggish/racist fans that followed Minter around and pelted Hagler with bottles, we never got to see him again on these shores (maybe we never would have, but that clinched the deal). He was a good boxer but a highly questionable person.Nonetheless RIP.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 18 Sep 2020, 19:18

Minter was fortunate to be at his best and having his time at the top just before the arrival of the golden era of Middleweights, and to my mind Hagler was the best of the lot. He totally destroyed Minter, I remember it well, and the less said about Minters "fans" the better. I still maintain Hagler deserved the decision against Sugar Ray Leonard, but better judges than me beg to differ.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 18 Sep 2020, 21:14

Tomahawk Kid wrote:Minter was fortunate to be at his best and having his time at the top just before the arrival of the golden era of Middleweights, and to my mind Hagler was the best of the lot. He totally destroyed Minter, I remember it well, and the less said about Minters "fans" the better. I still maintain Hagler deserved the decision against Sugar Ray Leonard, but better judges than me beg to differ.

I agree with this.Minter had a lot of heart coupled with the the most fragile skin . A right little bleeder, literally.
His fans comforted themselves with Sham 69 and Bushells inane ramblings.
I wanted Hagler to beat Ray ,(as good a boxer as anyone) . I can make a case for a Hagler result. Yes, Ray did the flash flurry at the end of every round ,all speed and little damage. He did though stop one of the most singularly destructive fighters from landing the kind of punishment that destroyed dear old Tommy and others.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Return to “Sporting Life”