Messi to Arsenal?

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Brickyard Jack

Messi to Arsenal?

Postby Brickyard Jack » 26 Aug 2020, 08:14

He would fit right in with our over-30s squad.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Messi to Arsenal?

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Aug 2020, 09:05

The issue with Messi is his wages. Unless he's prepared to take a huge cut in salary I'm struggling to see how any club on the planet (even including Chinese clubs) can fit him into a) their own financial model and/or b) any restrictions in place due to FFP etc.

Man City is the rumoured destination - a club who have massive issues with revenue compared to spend and who have just had an extremely unsuccessful season, where they were playing to less than full crowds even before COVID. Unless they jettison a massive amount of their bloated squad, I cannot see how they can accommodate his salary. Even allowing for the fact that adding a 33 year old probably isn't looking to the future? Maybe they can wangle it to get him for one season in a final desperate attempt to ecure a CL victory, but even that's not really possible. It's not like Messi is going to take a one year deal anywhere, is it?

I can't see anyone else in England being able to afford him - Man Utd are struggling to find the money for Sancho at present, and they'd be the obvious other team. Chelsea? Nah - same issues as Man City and the owner has been pruning the squad in recent years. Liverpool? Not a chance. Arsenal & Spurs? Not a chance. Even Everton may struggle.......

PSG are the obvious overseas contenders but they're up against the FFP wall now - Messi must tip them over. None of the Italian or German clubs could entertain him (though going to Juve would be a fun transfer!!).

The only viable alternative is.... Real Madrid (as they seem to be above every rule in the book)! And much as he may wish to piss Barca off, I can't see that happening.

So I think Lionel either gets on and sees his contract out - or retires.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 26 Aug 2020, 09:14

Yes the wages would the problem. Though if retiring is an option, why wouldn't he take a huge pay cut? Unless he has spent it all gambling, I would guess he has received enough to ensure his children's future. He's 33, so could play for at least three more years. What would he want to achieve as a club player? Surely moving to Germany or England would be more satisfying (in the sense of a bigger challenge) than Italy or France.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Aug 2020, 12:53

He realistically has to accept a huge wage cut (he's reportedly on £500k per week, isn't he?) down to half that to make himself attractive to anyone - can I see him doing that? Depends on how much he wants away from Barcelona but, evidently, he cannot move on and continue to get his current wages (especially as the FFP/COVID relationship is going to massively impact next season) or anything like them.

There are two other things to consider here :
a) whether this is all an attempt to force the club President to resign and/or
b) his buyout clause, which the club believes is 700 million Euros, but which he believes he can walk away from anytime he wants to as long as he hands in a transfer request between seasons (it's the Neymar situation all over again).

The new season is nearly upon us too - whatever clubs have planned didn't in any way account for a Lionel Messi signing.

I have the strange idea we may be either moving into Gareth Bale territory or having a very disgruntled Messi playing in Barca next season. The only way those cannot happen is if Barca accept a realistic transfer fee and Messi accepts a dramatic cut in his wages. I think that may be extremely problematic, from both parties.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Sep 2020, 19:27

Diamond Dog wrote:I have the strange idea we may be either moving into Gareth Bale territory or having a very disgruntled Messi playing in Barca next season. The only way those cannot happen is if Barca accept a realistic transfer fee and Messi accepts a dramatic cut in his wages. I think that may be extremely problematic, from both parties.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54032101

Just listen to me.
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”