Major League Baseball postseason 2019

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Major League Baseball postseason 2019

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Oct 2019, 18:23

Starts tonight!

I’m totally out of the loop on the NL.

Obviously, I mostly feel really good about my ballclub, which is a novel thing. But baseball is crazy and the A’s have given them fits lately.

Let’s do this!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Major League Baseball postseason 2019

Postby toomanyhatz » 01 Oct 2019, 18:46

The 'stros are definitely the scariest team in baseball - their top three starters are historically formidable. It's somewhat reassuring that the Dodgers tend to get to Greinke and have proven they can get to Verlander, but that still leaves Cole, and it's not like the rest of the staff are hacks either. But, as you say, anything can happen. Here's my sort-of-wishful-thinking prediction:

Nationals beat Brewers
Braves beat Cardinals
Dodgers beat Nationals
Dodgers beat Braves
Dodgers beat Twins

A's beat Rays
Twins beat Yankees
Astros beat A's
Twins beat Astros

...which is not such a bold prediction, really. People have been underrating the Twins all year. They are a powerhouse.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 01 Oct 2019, 19:18

Agree the Astros are the best team. WHile I believe the Dodgers are the best team in the NL I'm not sure they are going to make it to the world series.
However, I'm still picking them as all the other teams except the Cardinals never have proven anything in the post season.

Nationals beat Brewers
Braves beat Cardinals
Dodgers beat Nationals
Dodgers beat Braves

In regards to the AL. While Houston is the best team I think a bunch of teams in the AL can compete with them and I think this is a much more open
playoffs then most. The A's vs Rays is a true toss up both teams have been playing excellent down the stretch. I'll give it to the A's. The twins vs the Yankees is a very interesting one. The Yankees are the better team but the twins are young, seem loose and are over due to beat the Yankees. This series scares me but until the Twins prove they can beet the Yankees I'm taking the Yankees. The Astros will beat the A's or rays although I do think it will go 4 or even 5 games.

Yes the Astros are better than the Yankees but something tells me the Astros are going to struggle this year. This series is going to come down to how long can the Astros starters go and will they let the Astros starters pitch a 3rd time to the Yankees lineup. If the Astros can have the starters go a 3rd time and have success they will beat the Yankees. I'm also concerned with the Yankees injuries and that might be their downfall. If Gio and someone else(currently healthy) can't play they will lose. Their other loses might already be too much for them.

A's beat Rays
Yankees beat Twins
Astros beat A's
Astros beat the Yankees

Astros will beat the Dodgers since the Dodgers just don't have the bullpen
Astros over the Dodgers.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 02 Oct 2019, 04:38

A pretty good start to things in DC tonight! I
I didn't have a dog in this hunt at all, but I have to suspect that Washington has more to give than Milwaukee did. And a dramatic win should provide some rocket fuel. Still . . . the Dodgers!

Hopefully I can watch the game tomorrow. Should be good.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Oct 2019, 00:13

Well it looks like the Cards are dropping the hammer on the Braves to close that series out! Shame, really. I found myself sympathetic towards the Braves for the first time since the mid-80s.

As for the Astros, I don't think that any fans who have watched the entire season have been surprised by their apparent collapse against the Rays. For me, the story of the game is less Justin Verlander's mediocre start on short rest and more the offense's complete inability to score runs. After all, he only gave up 3, and that should be good enough for a historically good offense. I'm always always always circumspect about playoff baseball, and I'm not surprised at all. I'm firmly convinced that the Rays could beat any other MLB team in a 3 out of 5 series, but I also think a 4 out of 7 series is an entirely different matter. Houston has had trouble with them all year and they're always bad at the Trop. Needless to say, if Houston can't win tomorrow, it would be a hugely humiliating collapse, trouble with the Rays or not.

Here's hoping that can get back on the horse tomorrow. The scheduled Rays starter gave them a little trouble in Game 1 (was it?). They just couldn't read his pitches at all, but they got to him the third time through. Still, I don't reckon they'd let him go very deep if he gets into trouble.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Oct 2019, 00:45

Well, I've got ONE prediction right so far!

Sad state of affairs to be relieved that the starter in our game 5 is Buehler instead of Kershaw. But I have to come to grips with the fact that Kersh is just plain not good in the postseason. It's the big gaping hole in his resume.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 10 Oct 2019, 01:19

Yikes how many times do the Cardinals come out of nowhere and kick ass in the post-season. Had all others right but never would have called a Yankees sweep. Expect the Dodgers tonight although who knows in game 5. Tomorrows Ray vs Houston game should be an interesting one I"m not too surprised as the Rays have been good all year. Either way the Yankees aren't getting an easy team. Yankees odds looking better but I"m still not believing although will be routing for it. :lol:

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Oct 2019, 04:34

toomanyhatz wrote:Sad state of affairs to be relieved that the starter in our game 5 is Buehler instead of Kershaw. But I have to come to grips with the fact that Kersh is just plain not good in the postseason. It's the big gaping hole in his resume.

Oof
I almost feel bad for the guy.
I mean, I probably do.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 10 Oct 2019, 05:47

Still Baron wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Sad state of affairs to be relieved that the starter in our game 5 is Buehler instead of Kershaw. But I have to come to grips with the fact that Kersh is just plain not good in the postseason. It's the big gaping hole in his resume.

Oof
I almost feel bad for the guy.
I mean, I probably do.

Agree Kershaw has been a dud in the post season. Strange how in baseball some players are different animals in the playoffs.
wow Nats vs Cards who would have thought that?
Are the Rays going down tomorrow too?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Oct 2019, 14:21

Holy Shit I went to bed when it went into extras. Holy Shit.
Here’s hoping the Nats can give the Cards a run for their money.

And that my ballclub shows up tonight.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Oct 2019, 20:24

They were ahead with 9 outs to go and a bullpen full of rested relievers. Letting Kersh "rewrite the narrative" should have been VERY far down on the priorities list.

I'm not happy.
Footy wrote:

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 14 Oct 2019, 17:36

I was at the ballgame last night.
Holy fucking shit

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Oct 2019, 23:31

I'm watching the 'stros now. Go Houston!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Oct 2019, 04:11

Wow! The Nats straight up shat down the Cards necks. Damn!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Oct 2019, 04:11

Six String wrote:I'm watching the 'stros now. Go Houston!

That was a great relief!
We’ll see what happens tomorrow, if they don’t get rained out.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 16 Oct 2019, 04:47

Still Baron wrote:I was at the ballgame last night.
Holy fucking shit

wow nice one to be at!
As feared the Yankees got shut down by Cole although I didn't think he had his A stuff.
NOt looking good for the Yankees but we will see

Damn the NAts are hot right now.

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Oct 2019, 22:10

How about those Astros last night? Will they close it out tonight? Will The Baron be there to witness it?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 20 Oct 2019, 21:57

I was only at Game 2, which was a marathon nail biter.

Well! Should be an interesting World Series!

It was a very strange ALCS, and I hope that the Houston bats can get going, particularly in the face of Washington’s vaunted staff.

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Oct 2019, 03:34

It's looking like a game seven will be needed for the World Series. What a rollercoaster of a series.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Oct 2019, 20:27

What a weird Series it has been!

I’ve been avoiding talking about it but it’s pretty remarkable that there has been 6 games and nobody can really have any idea what’s going to happen tonight. I can’t imagine being surprised by anything.

I REALLY want my ballclub to win, but they beat the Yankees to win the pennant and didn’t get swept in the Series so at the very worst, it’s their second greatest season ever.

Return to “Sporting Life”