Premier League 18/19

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Feb 2019, 21:02

As good as Man Utd were today - and they were very good- Fulham were desperate. I see no real way back for them - the players have not bought into Ranieri and the fans haven't bought into Ranieri either.

On a different note, I wonder how long it will be before Silva & Everton realise they're less than two games or so from a relegation battle?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 09 Feb 2019, 21:08

Silva's been found out, but fair play to Watford who have seemingly morphed into this year's Burnley.

Some big games in the relegation battle today. Didn't expect to see Southampton lose to Cardiff.

Oh and worth seeing Jadon Sancho's performance for Dortmund against Hoffenheim. He's on fire.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Feb 2019, 11:37

The West Ham/Palace game was a cracker - including the miss of the season from McArthur (seriously, check it out. It's bliss). First half West Ham were really good but had to really battle to hang onto the point - and did so. Pellegrini has proved me wrong, no doubt. In Anderson & Rice they've really come up trumps - their fear must be hanging on to them in the summer.
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Feb 2019, 16:09

Diamond Dog wrote: the miss of the season from McArthur

Not if Sergio Agüero has anything to do with it!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Feb 2019, 16:20

... not that it matters, like.

The end for Maurizio Sarri?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Feb 2019, 16:28

PENK wrote:... not that it matters, like.

Certainly the end for Chelsea's goal difference. If City go on to get seven, Arsenal will go up a place into fifth without playing.
Can't see them giving Fag-Ash Mo the push though. Apart from the severance pay, who the fuck will they get to take on the poisoned chalice?
Looking forward to seeing Chelsea sinking back into the pack, even though I can't really see them being overtaken for sixth.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 10 Feb 2019, 18:58

Sarri completely blanked Guardiola at the end of the match and stormed off, very poor show. It was left to Zola to do the hand shaking duties.

I hope the same Chelsea turn up next week against us in the cup :D

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Feb 2019, 19:26

Rayge wrote:Certainly the end for Chelsea's goal difference. If City go on to get seven, Arsenal will go up a place into fifth without playing.

Six actually.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Feb 2019, 09:27

PENK wrote:... not that it matters, like.

It may be. But the tone of the after match interview was outrageous. I'm sure Sarri didn't really want to be there but gave honest answers to the loaded questions (and I paraphrase) "Are you saying your role may be under consideration?" "I don't make those decision, they're made by the club" "Okay, just for clarity for Chelsea fans - are you saying your position at the club will be discussed with the owner this week?"....... A look of total bewilderment... what were they expecting him to say "Yes I will probably be sacked"? Parasitic bastards. They wonder why they get sarcastic/blocking answers?

Chelsea were completely steam-rollered.... when you think Man City brought on Jesus, Mahrez and David Silva.... it's scary how much depth they have. I'm sure Liverpool will continue in the same way they have but I do think they may well need 34 points from their last 12 games...One of these two teams is going to finish with 95+ points and not win the title... Spurs may finish with 90+ points and finish 3rd ... :o
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Feb 2019, 14:35

Worrying times if you're a Chelsea fan. They've obviously abandoned the 'outspend your rivals' model that brought them so much success, but they've not replaced it with anything. There seems to be a real lack of direction which is a real problem because it's clear the team needs to be rebuilt.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Feb 2019, 17:58

They really haven't bought well over recent years either - Morata being the last flop, in a long line of expensive failures. I think the managerial merry-go-round has thwarted any attempts at continuity and establishing a Chelsea "way" of playing - they just seem to stumble from one manager to another every year/two years and expect success. The other teams around them have a much more stabilised environment and it's beginning to show. I don;t think Hazard will be there next season and that will seriously effect their chances of luring other big time players too.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Feb 2019, 19:42

They could really do with a Director of Football.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Feb 2019, 11:22

Diamond Dog wrote:They really haven't bought well over recent years either - Morata being the last flop, in a long line of expensive failures. I think the managerial merry-go-round has thwarted any attempts at continuity and establishing a Chelsea "way" of playing - they just seem to stumble from one manager to another every year/two years and expect success. The other teams around them have a much more stabilised environment and it's beginning to show. I don;t think Hazard will be there next season and that will seriously effect their chances of luring other big time players too.

That two window embargo imposed by FIFA today at least means they can't waste more money on poor players :)
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Feb 2019, 11:38

Claude Puel sacked at Leicester.

I actually fancy him as next Everton manager.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Feb 2019, 12:53

Diamond Dog wrote:Claude Puel sacked at Leicester.

Really?? :shock:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Feb 2019, 13:06

The Modernist wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Claude Puel sacked at Leicester.

Really?? :shock:

Yep!

He took Southampton to 8th and a League Cup Final. And got sacked. He steadied the ship at Leicester. They're safe as houses - and he's had to sell at both clubs. And he does at least appear to have some kind of 'system'.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Feb 2019, 13:19

I think that he's probably a decent manager, a steady eddie type.
I can imagine him at somewhere like Middlesborough or West Brom.
I think he'd be wrong for Everton though. You're already a mid table club, so you don't need someone to steady the ship, you need someone to take you to the next level. I really don't see Puel as that. Southampton and Leicester fans quickly got bored with his style of football, what makes you think Everton fans wouldn't? I think he'd be under enormous pressure at Everton very quickly.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Feb 2019, 13:48

The Modernist wrote:I think that he's probably a decent manager, a steady eddie type.
I think he'd be wrong for Everton though. You're already a mid table club, so you don't need someone to steady the ship, you need someone to take you to the next level. I really don't see Puel as that. Southampton and Leicester fans quickly got bored with his style of football, what makes you think Everton fans wouldn't? I think he'd be under enormous pressure at Everton very quickly.

I think we need someone who we don;t need to sack a season later - someone who isn't going to flirt with relegation, have the occasional cup run and stay safely in the top 10. Puel would do that for at least two or three seasons. I'm getting tired of the one season wonders... or even less, in Silva's case.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Feb 2019, 18:45

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I think that he's probably a decent manager, a steady eddie type.

I think we need someone who we don;t need to sack a season later - someone who isn't going to flirt with relegation, have the occasional cup run and stay safely in the top 10. Puel would do that for at least two or three seasons. I'm getting tired of the one season wonders... or even less, in Silva's case.

I'm surprised at that lack of ambition to be honest. I think there's any number of managers out there who could achieve that modest aim (including Silva probably), and many of them would probably play a more attractive brand of football than Puel.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 24 Feb 2019, 19:41

Note to Kepa Arrizabalaga: if you are going to go down injured for five minutes with a penalty shoot-out just a couple more minutes away, and then show up your manager by refusing to let him substitute you, you had damn well better not make a cock-up during the shoot-out.

Oops.

At least Sarri has someone to blame when he gets sacked. I guess a manager who was really in charge of his team would not have accepted that.

Return to “Sporting Life”