The Ashes 2015

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: The Ashes 2015

Postby Penk! » 22 Aug 2015, 13:33

Rayge wrote:
PENK wrote:And that's that for Lyth's test career. I appreciate that the selectors have wanted to be patient and not mess around too much but let's face it, he's looked out of his depth since the very start of the series.

I think Moeen Ali might open in the UAE

Hales seems to be the current favourite to take over...
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 22 Aug 2015, 14:18

PENK wrote:
Rayge wrote:
PENK wrote:And that's that for Lyth's test career. I appreciate that the selectors have wanted to be patient and not mess around too much but let's face it, he's looked out of his depth since the very start of the series.

I think Moeen Ali might open in the UAE

Hales seems to be the current favourite to take over...

Not sure. They will want the second spinner in UAE, so will want to get Rachid into the XI.
I think that will mean pushing Moeen up to open.
Bless the weather.......Image

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 22 Aug 2015, 16:41

Fucking idiot, Stokes.

Oh well, one last chance for Buttler to show what he has.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Sep 2015, 09:25

Slightly off topic but I saw a Sky Sports special on sporting greats - subject Dennis Lillee.

It's amazing to see how that pure animal aggression and bounding, heaving, almost square on, physical run up and delivery of the early days (when he was very very quick) became that beautiful, effortless, side on, textbook fast bowler (after the injury - 4 stress fractures of the back, all in one go. Jesus....).

He became the template for quicks from that point on - a wonderfully refined and slipstreamed example to all (wasn't it Richard Hadlee who modelled himself entirely on the later Lillee?). A magnificent spectacle, even when he'd lost that intial searing pace.

A lovely anecdote from Kim Hughes re facing Lillee in the nets - whenever Hughes (who Lillee had a strained relationship with, to put it mildly) came in, Lillee used to start coming in off his full run up and wing the odd bouncer at his throat..... this one day he got one to fly past Hughes' ear and just flick his hair.... Hughes just carried on and Lillee said "Sorry". Hughes thought "That's nice" until Lillee walked past him and muttered under his breath "Sorry I missed your fucking head, you curly haired wanker".................. :lol:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Postby ... » 17 Sep 2015, 20:48

Diamond Dog wrote:A lovely anecdote from Kim Hughes re facing Lillee in the nets - whenever Hughes (who Lillee had a strained relationship with, to put it mildly) came in, Lillee used to start coming in off his full run up and wing the odd bouncer at his throat..... this one day he got one to fly past Hughes' ear and just flick his hair.... Hughes just carried on and Lillee said "Sorry". Hughes thought "That's nice" until Lillee walked past him and muttered under his breath "Sorry I missed your fucking head, you curly haired wanker".................. :lol:

That's great! Thanks for sharing it. Almost as funny as the response to the "Why are you so fat?" sledge...

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 20 Dec 2021, 09:52

*blows off dust*....

Anyone (still) watching or is it all Strictly for this mob now,?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 20 Dec 2021, 17:36

Yes, and it's the feeble result for England I expected.

A country where domestic cricket is dominated by the white ball game has little hope of succeeding long-term in the Test arena.

I said a few months ago that we will show occasional bursts of brilliance but more often than not abject failure. Basically, even if we bounce back with a win at Melbourne (who am I kidding?) we are fucked.

Most ducks for our openers in a calendar year than ever previously "achieved" in the history of Test cricket. (All countries.)

11th time in 27 innings we have been all out for less than 200 this year.

Injuries / Covid etc.? Irrelevant.

We will win occasional games for sure, because we have a certain flaky brilliance in the squad, but consistency and discipline are beyond us now.

Still... we've launched the Hundred this year. Yip(fucking)pee.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 21 Dec 2021, 02:37

I can’t really see England winning a match, even if they don’t lose them all. Australia are not a truly great team, but they are a very solid team and are solidly doing everything decently. The batsman got stuck in when it was difficult to score. Even when they lost their way a bit in England’s first innings, the bowlers regrouped in the lunch interval and came back bowling to plan. And the Aus fielding has been exemplary.
The batting stats showing Root’s vast superiority to his teammates are just ridiculous.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 21 Dec 2021, 22:06

Positive Passion wrote:I can’t really see England winning a match, even if they don’t lose them all. Australia are not a truly great team, but they are a very solid team and are solidly doing everything decently. The batsman got stuck in when it was difficult to score. Even when they lost their way a bit in England’s first innings, the bowlers regrouped in the lunch interval and came back bowling to plan. And the Aus fielding has been exemplary.
The batting stats showing Root’s vast superiority to his teammates are just ridiculous.

Root's even been their leading wicket taker this year. Go figure.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 22 Dec 2021, 05:06

You've gotta feel for Buttman- I mean, Buttler.

I mean, one minute he is taking extraordinary one-handed diving catches, and the next he is dropping something a 4-year old would have no problem with. He manages to stay in for more more than 200 deliveries in some serious heat, at the cost of destroying what batting average he has, only to step on his own wicket in the last session.

Not that i feel sorry for the Pommy cricket team, but still... :D
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 22 Dec 2021, 07:33

never/ever wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:I can’t really see England winning a match, even if they don’t lose them all. Australia are not a truly great team, but they are a very solid team and are solidly doing everything decently. The batsman got stuck in when it was difficult to score. Even when they lost their way a bit in England’s first innings, the bowlers regrouped in the lunch interval and came back bowling to plan. And the Aus fielding has been exemplary.

Root's even been their leading wicket taker this year. Go figure.

Not sure where that one has come from.

Robinson, Anderson, Leach, Bess and Wood have all taken more wickets.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Dec 2021, 10:16

Well, that went well.

Roll out the drawing board.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 Dec 2021, 16:36

I don't know that much about the game (although I played 5 years pretty poorly for the Singapore Cricket Club - I have a baseball past) but enough to know that this was really embarrassing. 6 wickets in 4 overs? That's men against girls.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Dec 2021, 20:26

'Forget the Ashes,.it's a cremation...'

'Need a fast test? Play the Poms'.

The papers here are in fine form. :lol:

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Dec 2021, 16:47

never/ever wrote:'Forget the Ashes,.it's a cremation...'

'Need a fast test? Play the Poms'.

The papers here are in fine form. :lol:

I think my favourite was "Isolated for 14 days, came out to find we'd won The Ashes in 12".
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 31 Dec 2021, 08:56

That was a dream come true for Scotty Boland - man of the match in his debut test, and the sort of figures that you are more likely to see in Under-13s. I mean, 6 for 7?! He couldn't have wished for a better result.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 31 Dec 2021, 18:49

Talking about poor jokes, Back in 1986 two young Australians were found guilty of drug smuggling in Malaysia and convicted to be hanged. Despite protests from the Aussie government the Malaysians went through with it. At that time the joke went in Australia: What did the parents of Barlow & Chambers managed to do that the Aussie Cricket team couldn't? You've guessed it.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 01 Jan 2022, 12:15

mudshark wrote:Talking about poor jokes, Back in 1986 two young Australians were found guilty of drug smuggling in Malaysia and convicted to be hanged. Despite protests from the Aussie government the Malaysians went through with it. At that time the joke went in Australia: What did the parents of Barlow & Chambers managed to do that the Aussie Cricket team couldn't? You've guessed it.

I haven't.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 01 Jan 2022, 16:34

Bring home the Ashes?

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 01 Jan 2022, 18:10

Bring home the ashes, indeed. England won most of them in the late 80s. Mike Gatlin's teams.

Return to “Sporting Life”