The Ashes 2015

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Rayge

The Ashes 2015

Postby Rayge » 08 Jul 2015, 11:20

I know we have an England team thread, but not sure if any of the Aussies on the board are interested in The Summer Game enough to venture there.

So, for political reasons I won't be able to watch - apart from the highlights show – but England have won the toss in Wet Wales and are batting. A maiden from Starc and I'm off to walk the dog
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: The Ashes 2015

Postby Penk! » 08 Jul 2015, 14:40

As I said on the last cricket thread...
PENK wrote:
PENK wrote:And oh look! Three down early on again! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Getting beyond a joke now, isn't it?

How long's Bell got?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Jul 2015, 17:15

PENK wrote:Getting beyond a joke now, isn't it?

How long's Bell got?

As long as Joe Root's there to make up for him...
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 08 Jul 2015, 17:47

Shit first hour, excellent recovery for the fourth and fifth wickets. The pundits were saying 325 would be a good score before a ball was bowled and the uneven bounce was evident. At 287/5, England must have 400+ in their sights.

PENK wrote:How long's Bell got?
Bell's scored 56 runs in his last 9 test innings. In 2015, Jonny Bairstow has scored 744 in 6 first-class matches at 106.3. Surely it's time to drop Bell and give Bairstow a crack.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 08 Jul 2015, 19:00

Jude wrote:Shit first hour, excellent recovery for the fourth and fifth wickets. The pundits were saying 325 would be a good score before a ball was bowled and the uneven bounce was evident. At 287/5, England must have 400+ in their sights.

Bell's scored 56 runs in his last 9 test innings. In 2015, Jonny Bairstow has scored 744 in 6 first-class matches at 106.3. Surely it's time to drop Bell and give Bairstow a crack.

Or bump Moeen up to 3/4 and bring Rachid in for a taster.
Bless the weather.......Image

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 08 Jul 2015, 20:55

Balanced day I would think, but England would be happier after being 43/3 and the Aussie attack looked very inconsistent. We'll have to see how they bat but I think they missed a trick by not playing Marsh instead of Watson.
I run out of talent

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 09 Jul 2015, 07:13

Was there yesterday. Ballance made the innings. Root rode his luck but looked imperious in places. The best thing was watching the Aussie bowlers put a real shift in at the coal face. They tried from the first to the last on a pudding of a wicket. Forget the figures. If England get to 400+ I think it's a draw. Back there for Saturday. At 43 for 3 I thought it wouldn't last until Friday.

jude
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 09 Jul 2015, 17:00

andymacandy wrote:
Jude wrote:Shit first hour, excellent recovery for the fourth and fifth wickets. The pundits were saying 325 would be a good score before a ball was bowled and the uneven bounce was evident. At 287/5, England must have 400+ in their sights.

Or bump Moeen up to 3/4 and bring Rachid in for a taster.
That's not a bad shout, either. Whichever they go for, as long as they don't stick stubbornly with Bell while he fails.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 10 Jul 2015, 15:44

Or not..................
Fair play to him, has always managed to get his form right back up there without any gradual transition.
He's majestic today, and probably batting England into an unassailable position.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Jul 2015, 16:22

... although what could be more typical of Ian Bell than getting out for 60 just when a big score and huge parternship look inevitable?
If Stokes or Buttler can get going, though, the match will be gone for Australia.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Jul 2015, 16:35

I wonder if Mitch will get a century in each innings?

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 11 Jul 2015, 05:34

Just over 400 runs to win, and two full days. If England had a top class spinner like Swann then I'd definitely have my money on us to win, but I've got a horrible feeling that the Aussies will do it. Should be a fascinating days cricket today.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 11 Jul 2015, 10:04

This really is poised very nicely indeed. Australia have plenty of time to get these runs, but they may be haunted by the fact that they gave away a lot of cheap wickets in their first innings. A deteriorating pitch will have its say too.

Very difficult to predict the outcome here. England may just be favourites simply because chasing 400 runs in the final innings is always difficult.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 11 Jul 2015, 11:02

the masked man wrote:This really is poised very nicely indeed. Australia have plenty of time to get these runs, but they may be haunted by the fact that they gave away a lot of cheap wickets in their first innings. A deteriorating pitch will have its say too.

Very difficult to predict the outcome here. England may just be favourites simply because chasing 400 runs in the final innings is always difficult.

Only two teams have ever scored more to win, and I think the history weighs more heavilly than the time left.The Aussies are always dangerous, but I can't see them getting to 400.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Jul 2015, 12:02

Although with England still persisting in this baffling belief that Moeen is a test-match spinner, you never know. All Anderson and Broad's pressure gone just like that.

jude

Postby jude » 11 Jul 2015, 12:35

At 79/1 three-quarters of the way through the morning, the Aussies are certainly on top here. England really need a wicket before lunch.

I wonder how much that early wasted review will hurt England.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 11 Jul 2015, 17:27

Well that went well.
I run out of talent

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 11 Jul 2015, 18:07

Great result for England, I don't know why I was so nervous this morning :D

A very disciplined bowling performance today which bodes well for the next game. If only we could get off to better starts when batting and not lose so many early wickets. There seems to be a great energy and buoyant mood within the English camp these days. I wonder what old Piers Moron's got to say for himself :D

As for the Aussies you always expect them to come back harder and more determined next time, but I can't see Watson being picked for the next game.

Bring it on.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 11 Jul 2015, 20:36

Some of you guys sound like TalkSport trying to hype up a game.

Chasing down 400+ on that pitch was never at any stage anything more than a remote possibility.

Their only proper chance of coming out of the game with anything other than a defeat was holding out for the possibility of a washout tomorrow but they showed themselves singularly incapable of getting the balance right in their batting to make that happen.

England have been superb the last couple of months and we are going to ride this wave of positivity to a comprehensive Ashes victory.

Give it 2 years and I reckon we'll be back at No 1 in the World.

Ok, plenty there to pull me up on in the next few weeks / months! :D

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 11 Jul 2015, 21:18

PENK wrote:Although with England still persisting in this baffling belief that Moeen is a test-match spinner, you never know. All Anderson and Broad's pressure gone just like that.

If he continues to pick up 4-5 wickets in a match and score with the bat like that he is very much a test match spinner, and an extra all rounder along side Stokes to boot. 5 wickets and 92 runs in a match isn't a return you would drop someone for.

The Aussies tried to get after him in this match and only succeeded in losing key wickets

His figures are good whilst not outstanding but I can't see any point in dropping him now.

I think Bell has got one more match, he always has, he always seems to just do enough not to get dropped by scoring vital runs.

I would love to see Bairstow given a go at some point though
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Return to “Sporting Life”