England Cricket Team Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Mike Boom

Re: England Cricket Team Thread

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Jul 2019, 13:55

What a crazy crazy game. Boundaries is a ridiculous way of deciding the match (what happened to number of wickets?), but congratulations to the English team.

(Trying to follow a game like that on the Guardian live blog because it wasn't on TV here in the US was its own little nightmare, not recommended)

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 24 Jul 2019, 20:07

Blimey, talk about after the Lord Mayor's show.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jul 2019, 20:27

Tomahawk Kid wrote:Blimey, talk about after the Lord Mayor's show.

:lol:

Big time.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

borofan

Postby borofan » 25 Jul 2019, 18:53

Usual collapsable top order - against a 37 year old county military medium pace trundler...
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Jul 2019, 07:23

Bairstow is NOT a frontline Test Match batsman.

Foakes is a better keeper and looks very much like a better and more disciplined batsman too.

Will the selectors act?

I doubt it.

Moeen is NOT a Test Match all rounder. I don’t rate him as a bowler but can’t really argue with his stats - but let’s just give up on the idea of him scoring decent runs down the order. He’s clueless.

Can anyone imagine Moeen doing what Jack Leach did yesterday?

Will the selectors act on that one?

I doubt it.

Rory Burns doesn’t look much like a Test opener to me. Early days I suppose but let’s face it, he isn’t going to make it is he?

Will the selectors act on the evidence of their eyes?

I very much doubt it.

As for Denly - no-one believes he is a Test Match batsman either but having been run out in awful circumstances by his captain yesterday will probably get another undeserved chance.

Apparently England have reached 400 once in their last 30 innings - not good enough. If the above keep places for next week’s opener there is bugger all chance of us bettering that, unless all 3 of Root, Stokes and Buttler come off in the same innings.

I do not rate Root as a captain - not one bit. He is unimaginative, and not a real leader of men.

Forget the World Cup heroics, this is a totally different game and I am actually pretty despondent about the Ashes.

Australia aren’t much cop either but you can’t carry 4 passengers in the Top 8 batsmen and expect to win consistently so although Anderson and Archer might keep us competitive in games I fear that we are going to get absolutely hammered.

borofan

Postby borofan » 26 Jul 2019, 18:27

Burns and Denly, you're right. Bairstow and Moeen, you're laughably wrong.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 26 Jul 2019, 18:57

It's a shame Eoin Morgan isn't a test player, I'd much rather have him as captain than Joe Root. Considering our batting shortcomings I'd have Morgan back in the starting XI, he can't do any worse.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Jul 2019, 20:41

borofan wrote:Burns and Denly, you're right. Bairstow and Moeen, you're laughably wrong.

Laughably wrong?

Since 2018 Bairstow and Moeen average 26 and 16 with the bat.

And they do not look like improving any time soon.

If you think they are going to play significant roles in winning The Ashes I fear you are going to be disappointed.

borofan

Postby borofan » 27 Jul 2019, 18:41

Lord Rother wrote:
borofan wrote:Burns and Denly, you're right. Bairstow and Moeen, you're laughably wrong.

Laughably wrong?

Since 2018 Bairstow and Moeen average 26 and 16 with the bat.

And they do not look like improving any time soon.

If you think they are going to play significant roles in winning The Ashes I fear you are going to be disappointed.

I'd rather have them than any of the alternatives you may be able to dredge up. Foakes? Don't make me laugh.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Jul 2019, 20:27

You are confusing me. Again you think I am trying to make you laugh with common sense?

I find your reaction odd. I can only assume you are from Yorkshire.

Foakes is acknowledged by everyone as the best keeper in the country and has batted extremely well for England.

In 5 matches he has an average of 41.5 which is more than acceptable and includes 2 occasions when he came in to score quick runs and effectively sacrificed his wicket for the team cause. It may be only 5 matches but he has batted with more application and brains than Bairstow has during the last 2 years that’s for damn sure.

Foakes has a 1st Class career average of 38.98 which is more than acceptable, and about 6 fewer than YJB. The latter’s keeping has been perfectly fine but over an entire Ashes series I’d be very confident that Foakes’ superior glove skills would earn us more than 6 runs per innings on average.
Last edited by Lord Rother on 27 Jul 2019, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Jul 2019, 20:37

And as for Moeen - his 1st Class bowling average is 37.94 and in Tests is 36.24.

Jack Leach’s equivalent averages are 25.29 and 26.20.

I appreciate that again the Stats pool is small for the latter but those numbers are significantly better than Moeen and, importantly, he has shown application, concentration and determination whilst Moeen carries on bowling a half tracker most overs and flaps around his off stump with a bat in hand like Jeremy Bates trying to return a Pete Sampras serve.

borofan

Postby borofan » 28 Jul 2019, 15:36

Lord Rother wrote:You are confusing me. Again you think I am trying to make you laugh with common sense?

I find your reaction odd. I can only assume you are from Yorkshire.

Foakes is acknowledged by everyone as the best keeper in the country and has batted extremely well for England.

In 5 matches he has an average of 41.5 which is more than acceptable and includes 2 occasions when he came in to score quick runs and effectively sacrificed his wicket for the team cause. It may be only 5 matches but he has batted with more application and brains than Bairstow has during the last 2 years that’s for damn sure.

Foakes has a 1st Class career average of 38.98 which is more than acceptable, and about 6 fewer than YJB. The latter’s keeping has been perfectly fine but over an entire Ashes series I’d be very confident that Foakes’ superior glove skills would earn us more than 6 runs per innings on average.

I presume you're from Surrey. I don't know anyone who thinks Foakes is the best keeper in the country. Can't say I've noticed his glove skills were in any way superior to Bairstow (or Buttler for that matter). For my money, the best pure gloveman in England is John Simpson of Middlesex.

borofan

Postby borofan » 28 Jul 2019, 15:40

Lord Rother wrote:And as for Moeen - his 1st Class bowling average is 37.94 and in Tests is 36.24.

I appreciate that again the Stats pool is small for the latter but those numbers are significantly better than Moeen and, importantly, he has shown application, concentration and determination whilst Moeen carries on bowling a half tracker most overs and flaps around his off stump with a bat in hand like Jeremy Bates trying to return a Pete Sampras serve.

And what would Leach's average be if we discount the cheap wickets he gets on raging bunsens set up for him at Ciderabad? MInd, on recent form, his batting's a better bet than Moeen's!

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 30 Jul 2019, 14:28

borofan wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:And as for Moeen - his 1st Class bowling average is 37.94 and in Tests is 36.24.

And what would Leach's average be if we discount the cheap wickets he gets on raging bunsens set up for him at Ciderabad? MInd, on recent form, his batting's a better bet than Moeen's!

Hmm. Ciderabad eh? Recent results at the home of cricket would suggest otherwise. I would say that Headingly and Old Trafford would be far worse contenders in setting up for the spinners. Anyway Leach should be in front of Moeen on bowling alone in the test form of the game. Then there is the batting.
What I do find incredulous, and I've said it here before, is the absolute travesty of not giving Hildreth a proper consideration.

borofan

Postby borofan » 30 Jul 2019, 18:20

Jumper K wrote:
borofan wrote:

Hmm. Ciderabad eh? Recent results at the home of cricket would suggest otherwise. I would say that Headingly and Old Trafford would be far worse contenders in setting up for the spinners. Anyway Leach should be in front of Moeen on bowling alone in the test form of the game. Then there is the batting.
What I do find incredulous, and I've said it here before, is the absolute travesty of not giving Hildreth a proper consideration.

Headingley set up for spinners? Don't be so bloody ridiculous. It's not the seamers' paradise it used to be, but it certainly isn't a spinners' wicket, that's for certain.

And you can't 'find' incredulous, you can only BE incredulous.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 30 Jul 2019, 19:13

borofan wrote:
Jumper K wrote:
borofan wrote:And what would Leach's average be if we discount the cheap wickets he gets on raging bunsens set up for him at Ciderabad? MInd, on recent form, his batting's a better bet than Moeen's!

Headingley set up for spinners? Don't be so bloody ridiculous. It's not the seamers' paradise it used to be, but it certainly isn't a spinners' wicket, that's for certain.

So Maharaj getting 7 wickets in an innings was due to a sub-standard pitch? Besides, I can find whatever I like. You can carry on BEING a devotee of JRM from the look of it. :lol:

borofan

Postby borofan » 31 Jul 2019, 17:45

Jumper K wrote:
borofan wrote:
Jumper K wrote:Hmm. Ciderabad eh? Recent results at the home of cricket would suggest otherwise. I would say that Headingly and Old Trafford would be far worse contenders in setting up for the spinners. Anyway Leach should be in front of Moeen on bowling alone in the test form of the game. Then there is the batting.

So Maharaj getting 7 wickets in an innings was due to a sub-standard pitch? Besides, I can find whatever I like. You can carry on BEING a devotee of JRM from the look of it. :lol:

Just because a bloke takes 7 wickets, it doesn't mean that the pitch was deliberately set up for him. Maybe he just bowled well? I was under the impression that the general idea was for the spinners to come more into the game as it went on. Makes a change from playing on roads or pitches set up for dibbly dobbly seamers.
And if you want to be an ignorant buffoon, there's nothing I can do about it. Makes a change from your usual tedious smartarse pose, I suppose. :roll:

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 01 Aug 2019, 19:25

That was a proper world class test innings by Smith, it will probably prove to be a match winning one I reckon even at this early stage.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Aug 2019, 19:56

How does an off spinner bowl a full toss and/or a half volley every over? Lord knows how Moeen didn't go for a shedload.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Aug 2019, 13:35

Diamond Dog wrote:How does an off spinner bowl a full toss and/or a half volley every over? Lord knows how Moeen didn't go for a shedload.

Lord Rother wrote:Moeen carries on bowling a half tracker most overs and flaps around his off stump with a bat in hand like Jeremy Bates trying to return a Pete Sampras serve.

Please God he can at least prove the 2nd half of my pre match critique wrong.

(Self-quoter extraordinaire....) ;)

Return to “Sporting Life”