The Spurs Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Rayge

The Spurs Thread

Postby Rayge » 31 Jul 2014, 11:14

Just so you can all have a go in one place, rather than scattering the insults in threads devoted to other teams.
In the year I've been on here, no one else has outed themselves as a Spurs supporter (any remarks about the boys' netball team in Texas will be given no shrift at all), so without hostile comments I'll probably be talking to myself.
Just so you know: I'm fairly atypical of Spurs supporters, harbouring no particular animosity to supporters or players of the Woolwich Nomads (at least under Wenger) and actually rather fond of Thames Ironworks, whom I've never really seen as rivals. My distaste for Deaderpuddle is mellowing, too, but my curse on them winning the title, laid with due ceremony in 1990, remains in place until I die.
In the 55 years or so since I've been supporting my local team (I was born in Tottenham, and actually went to school in White Hart Lane – the street, rather than the ground in Tottenham High Road – and was able to see the FA Cup every day for two years from the top deck of the bus as I went home past the ground) they've won one league title (as part of a double), three European trophies and around ten FA and League Cups, which is plenty of celebration for one lifetime – I like to see the trophies shared around, but I wouldn't mind them going for another couple of domestic cups in the coming seasons: if they reform the Europa League back into a knock-out competition with no CL failures parachuted in, that would be a good one to go for, too.
Predictions for this season:
top eight in the league
semi-finalist in one of the domestic cups
out of the Europa League when we meet a CL dropout
Erik Lamela comes out of his shell now he has someone to talk to and is getting fit
a better defence now they have a left-back and Dawson appears to be on his way; even if they lose Lloris, Vorm is an excellent keeper.
Last edited by Rayge on 17 Apr 2019, 22:56, edited 3 times in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: the Spurs thread

Postby KeithPratt » 31 Jul 2014, 11:56

By way of being West Ham I am supposed to be diametrically opposed to Spurs, but my stance has softened over the years.

I'm intrigued as to how Pochettino will do this season. It is a step up from Southampton because the pressure exacted by Levy will be on from the first minute of the first game. I also think that Southampton did very well last season purely because they were something of a surprise more than anything else. You often get clubs who are promoted (or have a new manager and new players) come up and do well for one season (see Hull and Swansea) before going back to normal. Whether he can do this with Tottenham remains t be seen.

However he's not had to spend any money yet (AVB did that for him last season) and he's got a talented bunch of players there. Eriksen I'm sure will be their key footballer and in Lloris they have an exceptional keeper (not quite world-class but getting there). They need to sign a defender of some considerable quality if they are to realistically think about challenging for a CL spot.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 31 Jul 2014, 12:08

Toby wrote:However he's not had to spend any money yet (AVB did that for him last season).

Did you forget Ben Davies and Michel Vorm? I'm sure money changed hands there

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 31 Jul 2014, 18:49

They have a mess of a midfield and Pochettino will do well to solve that in a season. Then there's the Soldado problem. Pochettino is inheriting a squad with less potential than he had at Southampton, we'll find out a lot more about his credentials as a manager that's for sure.
I think they'll finish top half but won't get a Europa place. Levy will watch his dream go backwards.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 31 Jul 2014, 19:57

I'll wait and see what happens in the rest of the window before I start predicting anything

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Aug 2014, 16:19

I think they could do very well....if Pocchettino can be left alone.....I think he's a very talented manager who will get so much more from these players than AVB and Sherwood did last season...
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Aug 2014, 16:02

I know it's only two games, but it's the first time for long while, and likely to be the last for a while with the ’Puddle coming up, but I just thought I would mention it:
Top of the League!
Best defensive record in the Prem!

Apollo's Frock

Postby Apollo's Frock » 25 Aug 2014, 18:55

Lamela certainly looks with it under Pocchettino. And Chadli too.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 25 Aug 2014, 20:21

QPR were fucking terrible though. And Spurs should have lost at West Ham last week. Early days.

Apollo's Frock

Postby Apollo's Frock » 28 Aug 2014, 08:34

True, they were playing the blind school but the way Liverpool's defence is right now I can see Spurs getting two goals or better on Sunday.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Aug 2014, 14:28

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... io-sevilla
That makes three defenders and a goalie so far.
Surely they will sell someone before the window closes

Apollo's Frock

Postby Apollo's Frock » 31 Aug 2014, 16:55

Apollo's Frock wrote:True, they were playing the blind school but the way Liverpool's defence is right now I can see Spurs getting two goals or better on Sunday.

:oops:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 31 Aug 2014, 18:46

..Well the idea that Spurs had suddenly become a better team than Liverpool was a laughably premature.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 31 Aug 2014, 18:50

The G Experience! wrote:..Well the idea that Spurs had suddenly become a better team than Liverpool was a laughably premature one.

Apparently so, according to the Grauniad MBM. I hope you are not suggesting this was an idea I was promulgating, though.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 31 Aug 2014, 19:30

Spurs played right into Liverpool's hands - the latter were set up to counterattack and did so with abandon.

They never change do they Spurs? Cavalier going forward and abysmal at the back. The third goal was laughable really.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 01 Sep 2014, 19:02

Toby wrote:They never change do they Spurs? Cavalier going forward and abysmal at the back. The third goal was laughable really.

Spoken like the young shaver you are. :)

Incidentally, they've bought a defensive midfielder/Sicilian volcano today to go with the three other defenders bought this year, and the selling of Dawson has helped.

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 21 Sep 2014, 20:30

you have to laugh.

how long before levy shits himself?

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 29 Oct 2014, 12:41

the pitch is to blame

can't see him lasting until the end of the season. rayge must be reeling.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Oct 2014, 13:16

'skope wrote:can't see him lasting until the end of the season. rayge must be reeling.

To be fair, the notion that a Spurs manager won't make the end of the season, is not exactly earth shattering is it? :D
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 29 Oct 2014, 13:33

'skope wrote:the pitch is to blame

can't see him lasting until the end of the season. rayge must be reeling.

of course I'm not. Don't be silly. Bit like telling the tide not to come in, I know...

Return to “Sporting Life”